Glasgow | Public Transport | News & Developments - Page 392 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 351 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:11 PM   #7821
Jaded04

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTw View Post
Why would people never dream of getting a bus? What is it about buses that make people look down their noses at them? They're just a form of transport - why the snobbery?
I don't think its snobbery in the main, buses are generally regarded as

1) Confusing, often its not clear where a bus is going, Mountblow, I mean putting that on front of a bus will put *some* people going to Glasgow city who have no idea of geography, is that before or after the city centre?

2) Route, buses have a reputation for going off on indirect routes

3) Cost NO CHANGE GIVEN

4) Comfort, a tram or train is generally a more comfortable way to travel.

None of these points are difficult to overcome, and I appreciate that there are gradual improvements occurring, but I think these are the main reasons people do not actively chose bus travel, hence the decline in use in recent years
Jaded04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2019, 03:33 PM   #7822
BladeHearts

Likes (Received): 0

Surprised at the talk of trams to Bearsden, when the area already has 3 train stations, Westerton, Bearsden and Hillfoot.
BladeHearts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:51 PM   #7823
Roddy_

Likes (Received): 2313

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...e/?ref=mr&lp=6

Classic Labour- type thing to do - trying and failing to be populist and looking pretty pathetic into the bargain.
Perhaps if the Labour authorities of yesteryear hadn't flattened St Enoch's Station in the first place we might still have had the station and the clock. Cumbernauld are bang to rights telling these tube to get tae.
Roddy_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 10:20 PM   #7824
1M14

Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHearts View Post
Surprised at the talk of trams to Bearsden, when the area already has 3 train stations, Westerton, Bearsden and Hillfoot.

One of the best things about trams is that once you have a core network, it's practical to do little extensions out to serve new areas, even when they wouldn't individually justify the network as a whole. It'd be natural for a Botanics tram line to terminate at the Tesco (just as was planned for the Strathclyde Tram) to begin with. Then, in a later phase once the ridership and public demand for the line is settled, extend that little bit further through Maryhill, and that little bit further along to Canniesburn, and maybe that little bit further through more of the town. Trams are comparatively cheap to build and just as with bus services, you normally extend them to the edge of the urban area rather than terminating them in the 'town centre' bit.

Trams and trains would be doing different things, for different reasons. The Milngavie branch is only going to get 4tph at most, which is suitable for people heading into the very centre of the city but not so much for people headed somewhere nearer like the West End. Today, these folk will probably just drive down to the West End rather than taking public transport, since the balance of door-to-door journey time and transport costs is over towards private motoring. The more journeys you make possible and worthwhile by high-quality public transport, the less incentive there is to do private motoring, so the greater the demand and benefit there is of other transport modes.

dadabouttown, gghdev, Ashtonian liked this post
1M14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 10:45 PM   #7825
JohnTw

Likes (Received): 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded04 View Post
I don't think its snobbery in the main, buses are generally regarded as

1) Confusing, often its not clear where a bus is going, Mountblow, I mean putting that on front of a bus will put *some* people going to Glasgow city who have no idea of geography, is that before or after the city centre?

2) Route, buses have a reputation for going off on indirect routes

3) Cost NO CHANGE GIVEN

4) Comfort, a tram or train is generally a more comfortable way to travel.

None of these points are difficult to overcome, and I appreciate that there are gradual improvements occurring, but I think these are the main reasons people do not actively chose bus travel, hence the decline in use in recent years

One of the factors I see against bus use is cleanliness. Having been on First, Stagecoach and Lothian Buses recently, the latter two have always been clean while First are always dirty. It can't simply be the passengers - I think First needs to be more proactive about keeping the buses clean.

Buses going off route is quite rare, but I would say this is also their strength compared with trains and trams. When there's something up on the railway, then everything stops. But buses can be re-routed and keep running.
JohnTw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:01 AM   #7826
andysco

Likes (Received): 205

In order to have a successful tram system you can't just send lines out to 'the schemes'. Generating income is limited; even buses are heavily subsidised to serve these areas. You have to be a little 'snobby' about it.
andysco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #7827
sds

Likes (Received): 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded04 View Post
3) Cost NO CHANGE GIVEN
And in many (most?) cases, no card payments.

This is a Lothian Buses example, but it holds true: a colleague was visiting Edinburgh (from Amsterdam) last week, and she wanted to use the bus one day when it was raining.

1.70 for a single, no problem. Problems: cash payment without change (why would she have cash?), and no card payment option available. She has the money, but the buses are in the dark ages when it comes to collecting it.

tl;dr: she walked.

gghdev liked this post
sds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 04:58 PM   #7828
dadabouttown

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post

This is a Lothian Buses example, but it holds true: a colleague was visiting Edinburgh (from Amsterdam) last week, and she wanted to use the bus one day when it was raining.

1.70 for a single, no problem. Problems: cash payment without change (why would she have cash?), and no card payment option available. She has the money, but the buses are in the dark ages when it comes to collecting it.

I agree. Though Lothian are saying the plan is to roll out contactless across the fleet through 2019.
dadabouttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #7829
scott125

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds View Post

Lothian are the last major operator in Scotland yet to have Contactless , i think the airport buses do .

If she was using a foreign card , wont she get charged like £2.50 on top of the fare?
scott125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: