NORTH LOOP GREEN | 392 ft, 35 stories | 205 ft, 15 stories - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:15 PM   #61
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeast Homer View Post
Is it only me or is this starting to look more like the original design of Rafter?
Agree, a pretty simple box of a building, and then create all these optical illusions to the fašade as an attempt to break up the massing. So far, this building seems more successful. Bisecting the complex with an upper level terrace connecting both buildings also helps (really the coolest, most distinguishing feature of the project IMO)

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 23rd, 2019 at 07:33 PM.
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:28 PM   #62
CityofLakes
City of Mediocrity

Likes (Received): 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeast Homer View Post
Is it only me or is this starting to look more like the original design of Rafter?
I thought the same thing. The design change, height reduction, and from the looks of it, the addition of cheaper materials - overall, a significant downgrade.

mspguy liked this post
CityofLakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 07:45 PM   #63
John Nicollet Mall

For the taller tower, it's imperative the developer use the corten steel rather than the downgrade option of crappy precast. It will make a big difference on whether the design is successful or not.

mspguy, BlackCatMaven, uptownbro, troygbiv liked this post
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:02 AM   #64
TallBob

Likes (Received): 305

Stack 'em! Just put the residential over the office....Oh, that's right I've said it before!
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:16 PM   #65
mcken220

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Stack 'em! Just put the residential over the office....Oh, that's right I've said it before!
I understand the desire for another iconic tall tower that improves our skyline, but after living in London and visiting Vancouver I found that having many shorter buildings as opposed to a few tall ones greatly increased vibrancy and density. I'd love for a supertall in our city, and one day we'll probably get one, but I think getting as many of these 200-400 foot infills as we can will actually be what makes our city feel vibrant, dense and exciting!
Old September 24th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #66
Nordeast Homer

Likes (Received): 839

Not only that, I don't think this is the right place for something with 600-700 ft height or higher.
Old September 24th, 2019, 06:41 PM   #67
John Nicollet Mall

North Green is a decent height, and given its location at the far southeast corner of The North Loop by the Twins Stadium, LRT station, etc , it looks appropriate. The step down from the 35 story residential tower to the 15 story office building creates a nicely proportioned transition from the CBD/ Downtown West to the North Loop. Anything taller would look awkward.

UberMoose liked this post

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; September 24th, 2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old September 24th, 2019, 06:55 PM   #68
uptownbro

Likes (Received): 131

Im fine with a 400 foot tower. There is no way a 600-700 footer would pass today in this area. Now maybe in the future if this gets built and sets a precedent for towers in this part of the city.
uptownbro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #69
John Nicollet Mall

Really given Minneapolis' market size/demographics, no developer would ever propose something that large in this area. It's not economically feasible.
Old September 24th, 2019, 08:02 PM   #70
TCMPLS

Likes (Received): 1009

There is unequivocally no way a tower of 600 feet would pass in the North Loop, at least today, per uptownbro's point. There is already opposition to North Loop Green's height as it stands right now.

The "Feedback Requested" from the next Committee of the Whole meeting on Thursday is only one item: 1. What are your overall thoughts on the scale, massing and height of the development?

Let's hope this meeting goes well and there are no additional reductions

Tags
minneapolis, usa