ALIA | 200 Central | 483 ft | 42 stories (Canceled) - Page 68 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2019, 11:40 PM   #1341
CityofLakes
City of Mediocrity

Likes (Received): 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa35 View Post
Glad i stayed silent. Earnest money is everything. They delayed too long. I'm pretty sure they're done being a player. No material inquiries, no architecture commits, this was just too big for them. The financials were to spotty. Loke alwzys. Follow the money. Hope I'm wrong on the long run.
Quote:
Minneapolis construction is still a boom, still robust. They're actually going to re propose. Dead on the water. Btw. Nimbys are not winning. Even they tire.
Let me guess - they will propose something in the three to six-story range. Whatever it is, I doubt it will be worth 60+ pages of discussion. Also, I can't imagine potential buyers will have confidence in any new Alatus proposal.
CityofLakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2019, 12:33 AM   #1342
mspguy

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofLakes View Post
Let me guess - they will propose something in the three to six-story range. Whatever it is, I doubt it will be worth 60+ pages of discussion. Also, I can't imagine potential buyers will have confidence in any new Alatus proposal.
I certainly wouldn't trust them moving forward when it comes to anything.

Last edited by mspguy; September 26th, 2019 at 05:35 AM.
mspguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 02:08 AM   #1343
Dangerous Person
I'm too complex

Likes (Received): 1429

Quote:
They haven't hit their magic number of earnst monies yet. They're close. And opposition is muted. This will happen.
Quote:
Glad i stayed silent. Earnest money is everything. They delayed too long. I'm pretty sure they're done being a player. No material inquiries, no architecture commits, this was just too big for them. The financials were to spotty. Loke alwzys. Follow the money. Hope I'm wrong on the long run.
I guess it didn't happen?
Old September 26th, 2019, 08:27 AM   #1344
nasa35

Likes (Received): 626

Dp, yes i was convinced. But leading up to the cancellation all of a sudden you get truth bombs. It's tiring. After awhile only when shovels start digging can you be sure. Right now unless there's a ground breaking I'm no longer convinced 11 is a go. Maybe we should just be thankful for any development. It's a lovely city. Just not special i guess.
nasa35 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 08:37 AM   #1345
TallBob

Likes (Received): 306

Good spot for a Parking Lot!

anjunabeats91 liked this post
TallBob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 08:42 AM   #1346
CityofLakes
City of Mediocrity

Likes (Received): 458

They need to remove the Alia sign first.

Last edited by CityofLakes; September 27th, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
CityofLakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 05:22 AM   #1347
MPLS_Dispatcher_Guy
Working the OT

Likes (Received): 377

Due to the lack of parking down town, this would be a great spot to throw up a big middle finger and put in a 10 floor ramp to help alleviate the parking issues downtown

TCMPLS liked this post
MPLS_Dispatcher_Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 08:46 AM   #1348
TallBob

Good One!! LOL!
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:45 PM   #1349
mini apple

Likes (Received): 94

I mean, just beacuse it wont be condos is it really out of the question they switch gears to High-end apartments? I dont think there was any language from the articles or quotes from Lux himself that indicated they were scrapping the tower completely, just that it wont be for condos anymore. They can largely keep the exterior design of the tower while changing floorplans, correct? could it even translate to more units in the same size building? Maybe Im being naive thinking the cost of construction will be worth the return on investment from apartments but I gotta believe it's an option.
mini apple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:58 PM   #1350
mspguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini apple View Post
I mean, just beacuse it wont be condos is it really out of the question they switch gears to High-end apartments? I dont think there was any language from the articles or quotes from Lux himself that indicated they were scrapping the tower completely, just that it wont be for condos anymore. They can largely keep the exterior design of the tower while changing floorplans, correct? could it even translate to more units in the same size building? Maybe Im being naive thinking the cost of construction will be worth the return on investment from apartments but I gotta believe it's an option.
TBH, if Lux got cold feet and thought the Minneapolis condo market is becoming oversaturated, I'm sure he'll feel the same way about the luxury apartment market as well, especially in Northeast with NordHaus, Odin, Rafter, and The Expo. I know someone who has worked with Lux in the past and he describes him as someone who will only move forward with things if it's 100% safe and there is minimal risk. The person I know had doubts about an ambitious project like Alia coming to fruition way before it was even cancelled. When the news about Alia broke out, he was sure to let me know with a "I told you so!"

If Lux is part of another project on this site, I assume it'll be a smaller/"safer" proposal. If we want something more ambitious for this site, we'll probably have to hope another developer comes in and buys the land.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post

Last edited by mspguy; September 30th, 2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old September 30th, 2019, 07:43 PM   #1351
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2300

I think Mr Lux may sit on this land for awhile and watch the market. If he sees an opportunity he will go for it. But I doubt we will ever see anything as ambitious as Alia, whether he or another developer goes forward on the site.

mspguy liked this post
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 07:55 PM   #1352
mspguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nicollet Mall View Post
I think Mr Lux may sit on this land for awhile and watch the market. If he sees an opportunity he will go for it. But I doubt we will ever see anything as ambitious as Alia, whether he or another developer goes forward on the site.
You're probably right.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there was eventually demand for office space in NE, due to its proximity to downtown. Maybe we can get an ambitious mixed-use proposal with retail, office space, and condos/apartments down the road if the market continues to stay strong.

UberMoose liked this post
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:02 AM   #1353
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 1157

No hotels over here that I can think of. Maybe a mixed use project.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

mspguy liked this post
Mplsuptown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:18 AM   #1354
uptownbro

Likes (Received): 131

There is the Nicollet Island Inn and Alma Hotel in that area but I have no idea how many rooms they have or how nice they are. I think a major hotel would do well as part of a mixed use tower

mspguy liked this post
uptownbro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:10 AM   #1355
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 4228

How many more hotels can we build before that market gets saturated? This site is probably too far away from the office core to go after business travelers so they would have to find another niche. If you are a hotel anywhere near downtown, business travelers would be your main market so the location would hurt them.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 08:05 AM   #1356
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 2300

Actually , an office project might be a good fit for this site with convenient parking already existing next door in the ramp. And having the riverfront at your doorstep combined with the numerous amenities of this neighborhood would make it a desirable workplace.

Scott16475, mspguy liked this post
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 10:20 PM   #1357
Mesabiapolis

Likes (Received): 84

I wonder how Riverplace is doing on office vacancy. If they're still struggling to fill leases, I guess I'd be perplexed as to why. But maybe a signature tower with office space on the other side of the river may be an attractive game-changer for some companies.

Scott16475 liked this post
Mesabiapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 10:53 PM   #1358
achybo

Likes (Received): 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapster2006 View Post
The only good thing that came out of Strib article is that at least we know the groundbreaking for eleven is slated for Oct. 7th. I can live with that for now. As for re purpose of Alia I'm curious about it. I know the view of downtown from here is unquestionably the best and virtually zero chances of that view ever being impeded by any other developments, I would like to see something of magnitude of Alia go up here albeit apartments, hotels, office or mixed used. I hope Alatus takes notice of that.

TCMPLS liked this post
achybo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:29 AM   #1359
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 1770

Re: ALIA.

So what? Does the failure of a single building somehow reflect upon your own identity? Projects come and go. Alia didn't have the right financials. It has nothing to do with you. And it has nothing to do with me. And it has nothing to do with Minneapolis. It has everything to do with Alatus.

Sure, I'm disappointed that this didn't happen. But there are a thousand projects in the future that will happen and will help evolve this metro area into something no one here alive can foresee.

Go to the Milwaukee forum and revel in the gnashing-of-teeth project that was the Couture. These things happen everywhere. They say nothing about the city and everything about the company.

Scott16475, Mplsuptown liked this post
Avian001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 05:03 AM   #1360
TallBob

I like the idea of some office space...(Back Office processing, busy work jobs like the burbs get). A signature office tower on the other side of the river would be a "Bridge to Far"...considering how Tepid developers are here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alatus, bob lux, esg, high rise, minneapolis, northeast, tcnortheast