My Review of Phoenix and LA from my trip in June 2006! - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

My Review of Phoenix and LA from my trip in June 2006!

Anyways hello,
I am a teenage azn from Chicago thinking ehh. Phoenix is hot and no fun, but little did I know Metro Phoenix was different than I thought. I thought of suburbs, no water, drought, desert, mean people from other parts of the country, and the heat.

So this is my trip summary and review.

June 16, 2006 Chicago-Phoenix-Tempe-Gilbert

Yay, school is over. Summer begins. I got my report card in the morning of this day, saying the last goodbyes before I leave for the summer, signing year books, taking the bus home from my high school. Depress leaving Chicago. In the afternoon around 4:30 pm I got to Midway Int'l airport with my little brother. Since both of my parents are at work, my aunt drops my brother and me off. The airplane trip was at 6:45 pm Chicago time.. The people at Midway were nice and easy to navigate through. Soon after taking off, seeing the bustling city of Chicago for the last time in weeks, seeing suburbs and exurbs of Chicago making new subdivisions, and then seeing farms. I was looking out my airplane window to see if I could spot the Mississippi River. I quit after the flight attendant ask me what I wanted to drink. I was looking at my yearbook for most of the 3 hours plane ride. It was about 8:00 Phoenix Time. Lights were coming out. I see the town of Globe from the airplane. Look like a misplaced town in the desert. Then, I saw the metro of Phoenix. The metro is very large. I see the grid system and look there is also rivers too! The plane landed around 8:30, like 3.5 hours after leaving Chicago (time zone changes) at the Sky Harbor after seeing the mini Phoenix skyline. The airport was confusing, but my little brother went to the Sky Harbor airport before when I was in Summer school about 2 years back, so he led the way. The carpet was nasty looking, I didn’t like the color. The baggage claim area was slow, had to wait for like 10 mins. I see my aunt name “May” by the door, driving her big Toyota Highlander SUV. She almost got lost finding the way out of the airport back to Gilbert. The highways of 101 and 202 look nice, not congested, new, and have a river view. We ate at her restaurant in Tempe’s downtown. Best Chinese food ever… better than anything Chicago’s Chinatown served! Later, on the way home to her nice suburban house in Gilbert, she talk about Arizona and how easy to navigate in the metro. Saw the Gilbert mini- downtown. The weather was ideal. 80 degrees with no humidity with breezes… perfect weather! Her house is one of those typical one story house, huge, huge, huge! Although no pool, which doesn’t matter anyways, since there was a “Lifetime”, which she has membership to was just 5 mins away. Met her husband/my uncle “Aaron” I unpack and slept.

June 17, 2006 Gilbert- Chandler

Woke up around 8 am. Waited until 11 am for my aunt to wake up too, I went exploring her house. Her house was like a maze. It was bigger than any house in Chicago! We ate this Vietnamese next to this huge supermarket of “Leelee”. There I met my other aunt, her name is “Le” and her daughter (my cousin) is “Shannon”, which we saw numerous of times before. I notice the streets were clean and new looking. The weather was 115 degree but I didn’t thought it was that hot. Young was also driving a SUV, a Lexus SUV. I guess Metro Phoenix people love SUV. We were listing to the radio in the car, talking about what songs are “in” such as Shakria and Natasha Benefield. Shannon and I have the same taste in music, even though she is 13. We went to Chandler Mall. Interesting mall… I saw a “Dillard’s” for the first time. My aunts went shopping. Next, we stop by Shannon’s house in Gilbert by the “202”. Her house is 2 story, but big. I saw her brother/my cousin, “Ray” and her dad/my uncle “Young”. We saw Shannon’s school and Ray’s highschool Later that night, we went to Lifetime. Interesting and big. Then we ate at a Chinese restaurant.

June 18, 2006 Gilbert-Phoenix- Los Angeles

Woke up around 9 am, everyone in Aunt May’s house woke up around 10. We watch some Britney Spears DVD, I was bored and my aunt was doing her nails. Bring back memories of the 90’s. We ate a subway later, on the way there I saw a canal with houses with boats attach to them. I got a haircut at sport clips. The haircutter said she has her nephews staying with her to in Gilbert for the week and then she ask me about my opinion of Metro Phoenix. Later, we went to Sam’s club to by numerous of things for her restaurant in Tempe and her fast-food restaurant in the Superstition Springs Mall in Scottsdale. We arrive at the Sky Harbor Airport around 5:00. The plane leaves at 8:00 pm for LA. We came there early to check in all of the luggage that is going to Asia, such as HK, China, and Thailand. My 2 uncles need to park there car in the economy lot for $8 a day. There were 8 people going on the trip. Aunt May, Uncle Aaron, Aunt Le, Uncle Young, Ray, Shannon (ironically there names on streets parallel and next to each other in Gilbert), my little brother, and me. The front desk lady was so nice and often smile. She help us check in our luggage to Bangkok, even though we change planes in LA and Hong Kong too. We went to Gate C, very small. The smallest plane that I ever took. We saw each other’s yearbook to pass the time. At 8, we left for LA. We saw the Phoenix’s skyline, the suburbs, saw the empty desert, drink apple juice, saw Palm Springs like 15 mins. later from the last Phoenix’s suburb. Saw the lights from the LA metro for like 20 min. then landed at LAX. We walk from terminal 7 to the International terminal at I think Terminal 3 dragging our carryon luggage. Saw LA. LA is pretty cold. (I been to LA before, a couple of times). We ate some really nasty, overprice food at the IntL terminal at the LAX. Very busy and hectic. Security took an hour. When it was almost my turn to go to the scanner, there was a runaway and the security and TSA people chase the runaway, but then was caught. Wow, LA action everywhere, not just the streets. Went to the area where the airplane was going to leave for Hong Kong at 2 am. It was 11pm when I was at the security (meaning 1am Chicago, I was nearly fallen asleep. We play cards at the Gate. The Gate was pretty crowded.

June 19th , 2006 LA- Pacific Ocean

2 am came. People were very anxious to go to the plane. There was running and shoving everywhere. I fell asleep as soon as I went on the plane (it was 4am in Chicago). I missed dinner on the plane. Woke up later, requesting dinner that I miss. They gave it to me.. Very good service Cathay Pacific has. Because of time zone change, I was on the plane for the whole day until next morning of June 20th.

More reviews later… I have to go now… Hoped you enjoyed it, as my story ended in a "cliff hanger". I didn't take any photos of Metro Phoenix.

I will see Taipei and the Taipei101 from the airplane, step foot in HK, Bangkok, Pattaya (Thailand), San Francisco Airport (change planes because miss the flight to Phoenix), Scottsdale, Mesa, etc as the story continues... stay tune. Give me some feedback please!
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #2
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Interesting. What's even more interesting is the fact that a lot of your original assumptions turned out to be false.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3
bay_area
Live and Let Live

Likes (Received): 15

Sounds like something I would have written as a kid during summertime visiting relatives around the country and world...LOL

Interesting read.
Advertisement

Old July 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Krasna Sreča
Sara je vo(Sarah is bull)

Likes (Received): 47

You forgot to visit Scottsdale.
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #5
nobleman

Likes (Received): 0

No offense to you or your relatives, but it doesn't seem like you really went around to see the city much. As you described your stay in Phoenix, you visited some Asian food restaurants, and saw two large homes.
nobleman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Azn_chi_boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleman
No offense to you or your relatives, but it doesn't seem like you really went around to see the city much. As you described your stay in Phoenix, you visited some Asian food restaurants, and saw two large homes.
I know... but I come back to Metro Phoenix on June 29- July 2nd. We didn't hang out Phoenix, except for the airport... funny isn't it, but my aunt didn't know any attractions in Phoenix.

I went to Scottsdale on July 1st...

told you cliff hanger...
Old July 10th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #7
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

azn chi boi,
your itinerary was kind of blah,
dont keep us waiting too long with what you really think of phoenix,

I was there during junior high and I can give a much more succint impression,

I couldnt wait to leave,
yep back to horrible horrible midwest.

The fabulous dry heat was baking my brain,
and yes you do sweat when its that hot,

You may think you dont but you do,

Humid and hot?
it sucked earlier today,
but hey, The storm front moved through today in milwaukee
and its now a glorious 70 degrees now,
no relief in sight for phoenix however........
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #8
nobleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong
azn chi boi,
your itinerary was kind of blah,
dont keep us waiting too long with what you really think of phoenix,

I was there during junior high and I can give a much more succint impression,

I couldnt wait to leave,
yep back to horrible horrible midwest.

The fabulous dry heat was baking my brain,
and yes you do sweat when its that hot,

You may think you dont but you do,

Humid and hot?
it sucked earlier today,
but hey, The storm front moved through today in milwaukee
and its now a glorious 70 degrees now,
no relief in sight for phoenix however........
Geez, it's clear that you don't like Phoenix.
Old July 10th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #9
nobleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
I know... but I come back to Metro Phoenix on June 29- July 2nd. We didn't hang out Phoenix, except for the airport... funny isn't it, but my aunt didn't know any attractions in Phoenix.

I went to Scottsdale on July 1st...

told you cliff hanger...
Just go to some official site of Phoenix and check out the top 5 tourist attractions.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #10
FLscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobleman
Geez, it's clear that you don't like Phoenix.
You would be cranky too if you lived in milwaukee.
FLscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #11
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLscraper

nope that crankiness is from having lived in phoenix for two years....
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #12
Don B.

Likes (Received): 1

Back to the thread topic at hand, Azn Chi boi, that was interesting. Can't wait to read the rest.

--don
Don B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #13
nobleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLscraper
He's not going to admit that though, is he.
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #14
Dasan
Entre Mundos

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
Phoenix is hot and no fun
just as I described it
Dasan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Azn_chi_boi

I'll continue the story, (skipping the parts of thailand and hong kong) tomorrow or the day after that.
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #16
SpaceMan1

Likes (Received): 1

Umm, actually the parts about Thailand and Hong Kong would be very interesting, lol.
SpaceMan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement