The Saloon | Western Off-Topic Discussion - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5361

The Saloon | Western Off-Topic Discussion

General off-topic and random questions and comments can go in this thread. Enjoy talking about the West over a bottle of whiskey, or some sarsaparilla!
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2016, 04:44 AM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I was on a trip out west in New Mexico and Arizona a couple weeks ago. I have some comments and questions:

~ I noticed in New Mexico that tow trucks and DOT maintenance trucks in the state have blue and yellow roof lights. I actually pulled over the first couple of times thinking that they were volunteer firefighters or something. Is there a reason they have these lights instead of orange ones?
~ One thing I liked about New Mexico was that it felt like a blend of East Coast and West Coast. New Mexico seems unique that it has very old historic buildings from the 1700s and 1600s, and even older, like you would find in East Coast states like Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, etc. Also, as a Southwestern state, there was a nice mix of East Coast ecosystem (woodlands, at least in the Rio Grande Valley and places like Santa Fe) and West Coast ecosystem (deserts and scrubland).
~ What are the drinking and nightlife neighborhoods in Albuquerque? Nob Hill seemed like it was the college neighborhood. Is that correct? Any other places that are very good?
~ I was disappointed in the neon signs in New Mexico. I drove through Nob Hill Monday night and despite it seeming to be the neighborhood with the college bars (see above), it was so dead most places were closed. This was at 11 PM. I understand most people don’t drink on Mondays, but I think I saw 4 bars open all along Central Avenue. So some neon signs were turned off already. Or maybe they don’t work, which might be the case with some old motels. Gallup was worse, though. I was passing through at 8:30-9 PM Monday night, and some of the neon signs along Route 66 were turned off. Some were being turned off as I stopped to take pictures. You would think a town so far away from major cities like Phoenix and Albuquerque, with very little going for it tourism-wise, they would keep the neon signs on longer at night.
~ It was bizarre to see exits on I-40, in both New Mexico and Arizona, that basically were just for one house, or one business, or a ranch. It was like there were personal exit ramps. There would never be anything like that on I-95 around here. The strangest thing was a temporary at-grade intersection by MM 135 in New Mexico, which you can see HERE and HERE.

I have more comments and questions later on, once I collect my thoughts.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by xzmattzx; November 1st, 2016 at 04:54 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 03:40 AM   #3
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

https://twitter.com/LesBowen/status/914559768051687424

With reports that the Los Angeles Chargers are covering seats at the StubHub Center, what is the sentiment about the Chargers in San Diego? How many people are driving up for the games? How many are watching games on TV? How many people are happy that things are going wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #4
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72861

A must-watch:

How To Make An Attractive City

YouTube: "The School of Life" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy4QjmKzF1c

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

What are the best pueblos in New Mexico to visit, in terms of allowing visitors, allowing photography, and architecture?
Old February 27th, 2019, 06:45 PM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Happy 100th birthday, Grand Canyon National Park!
Old August 9th, 2019, 07:21 AM   #7
chilofiut

Likes (Received): 72

tombstone arizona 2019

chilofiut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 06:10 AM   #8
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Is Flagstaff the portal to another dimension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
off-topic, off-topic discussions, west, wild west