Central Methodist Hall | Corporation Street | Mixed-Use | Refurb/Extension | 8fl | Canc - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #81
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1792

When Boris becomes PM and Rory Stewart moves parliament to Westminster's Methodist Hall maybe there will be a similar political use brought forward for this one :P

Hasaandoo, jezc, Telfordboy liked this post
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2019, 03:48 PM   #82
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1180

In my dreams, its where the parliament or regional Assembly for the West Midlands region would sit.
Old June 26th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #83
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 538

Ironic as the hotel chain planning to move here is Dreams !!!

I wonder if they will look to open hotel elsewhere ?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2019, 02:17 PM   #84
jonfsnow

Sorry to bump this thread but I spoke to Savills about this property and apparently a new buyer has been found and they're in the process of exchanging contracts.

I only telephoned because I had been working on a proposal to present to investors to purchase and renovate the building myself.
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:14 PM   #85
paul_kimber
The City Of Birmingham

Likes (Received): 164

Wonderful news! Be great if you could take it on!
paul_kimber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:28 PM   #86
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfsnow View Post
Sorry to bump this thread but I spoke to Savills about this property and apparently a new buyer has been found and they're in the process of exchanging contracts.

I only telephoned because I had been working on a proposal to present to investors to purchase and renovate the building myself.

Great new I canít wait to see this wonderful piece of architecture back to life thanks for the wonderful news!

rotundazag liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:47 PM   #87
jonfsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_kimber View Post
Wonderful news! Be great if you could take it on!
Indeed, someone sadly beat me to the punch though it seems.
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:52 PM   #88
Ppmb80
PSS1980

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Indeed, someone sadly beat me to the punch though it seems.
Excellant news ! Will this new plan be a hotel also?
Ppmb80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:56 PM   #89
jonfsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppmb80 View Post
Excellant news ! Will this new plan be a hotel also?
I've no idea, I don't know who has purchased it or what their plans are.
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:02 PM   #90
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4870

Plenty of other sites in the city centre jon, as well as other parts of the West Midlands.

jonfsnow, WarwickDan, Kingsheathen liked this post
RalphGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 08:12 PM   #91
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
I've no idea, I don't know who has purchased it or what their plans are.
Could you tell us what weíre your plans?
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:12 PM   #92
jonfsnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force_alfa View Post
Could you tell us what we’re your plans?
Seeing as I've missed the boat I don't see why not aha.

Essentially I was going to retain the hotel element but knock off one of the floors of the roof extension because it didn't look right taking it down to about 120 rooms and get a prominent city chef to take on the Organ Bar and Restaurant in the middle.

The Apart-hotel element I thought was bollocks and would convert that half of the building to around 24,000 sq ft open plan offices which would add a reasonable amount of working population there to support the retail on the ground floor.

I'd renovate all of the 7 retail units on the ground floor to a consistent original shopfront style including adding awnings and proper iron signage.

I'd work with the council with the hope of getting the on street parking removed and the pavement widened to create spill out areas for the retail units.

I would try to hand pick the businesses based on the ground floor and approach them to ask if they would be interested.

The Clean Kilo - preferably in the unit facing Aston Uni BCU to try to capitalise on the presence of many environmentally conscious students, student discount possibly negotiable. This would probably be there biggest shop and as a result the new biggest zero waste supermarket in the UK. There's also a large underground space that could be used for stock storage. There might have even been an opportunity to get them involved with some start-ups at faraday wharf to trial a grocery delivery service by bike. But that was just me thinking about how the business could grow...

Ngopi - the cool Indonesian cafe in the Square, it'l almost certainly need a new premises when it get knocked down, it's always busy in there too so they may be looking for larger premises.

Salcooks - a little mainly take away food place in the JQ, a really small unit, Sally used to work for Ottolenghi before setting up in Brum. She is a member of the Birmingham Slow Food movement which enable customers to order food from independents with limited opening times and collect them from Food Hubs. An ideal opportunity for collaboration with Clean Kilo and establishment of another Food Hub there too.

There is barbers shop in still operating out of the unit so I've want to keep that there.

There are a few people I know who want to create something too, an activities bar and a deli.

I'd also put in an art gallery and seek to engage with BMAG about creating a small display space to have rotating exhibitions from their collections and it could also be used as an events space. There are lots of little galleries all over Digbeth and the Jewellery Quarter but none apart from the bigger institutions in the city centre.

I've come up with several business plans like this one but this was the biggest site I'd applied it to, it was always with a view to create a mixed use community.

Essentially I think the Colmore area is full and if public realm enhancement take place around Steelhouse Lane and the this end of Corporation Street, which is the architecturally stunning end there is the potential to create things to do that might draw workers and others in this direction. At the moment there's the Jekyll and Hyde and Cafe arum but basically nothing else of note when it could be the nicest area of the city centre.

So there was my plan in the nutshell, annoying the financials stacked up quite nicely but I was beaten to the funding and acquisition punch.
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #93
rotundazag

Likes (Received): 1209

such a shame you missed out.

Some truly wonderful & visionary ideas to transform one of Brums architectural gems.

The idea to improve the public realm particularly appeals, as I think far too many developments fail to factor this in, and you can end up with the surrounding areas becoming soulless.

I wish you well in any future endeavours.
rotundazag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2019, 04:48 PM   #94
jonfsnow

Cheers pal, if the new buyers pack it in I'll be first in the queue.

rotundazag, RalphGuy, U475 Foxtrot liked this post
Old November 10th, 2019, 08:00 PM   #95
jezc

Likes (Received): 277

Great ideas @jonfsnow and not too dissimilar to another potential purchaser ideas. I understand that it is an American Hotel firm who have purchased the building. I'm hoping to talk to them about a project I'm currently doing about the Que Club and see if I can get them interested/involved somehow...

jonfsnow, rotundazag, Kingsheathen liked this post
jezc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM   #96
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14856

Interesting to hear as Dream Hotel (American) were to open here, I’m guessing it’s them who have bought the building.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2019, 09:23 PM   #97
jezc

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Interesting to hear as Dream Hotel (American) were to open here, Iím guessing itís them who have bought the building.
You'd think that is the most likely scenario. They were going to open their first non-American Unscripted Hotel at the MCH: https://www.unscriptedhotels.com
jezc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement