identifying the western us - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5372

identifying the western us

i just got back from las vegas a couple days ago, and took some pictures from the plane as we went from las vegas to houston, our layover city. since this area of the united states is more familiar to you guys, could to help me identify some places, and verify some others?

nefore i start, let me say that i was sitting on the left side of the place, and we were flying east-south-east. so north is not quite straight ahead from the window, but tilted to the left a lttle.

start out with the pictures i think i know. here are a few that i believe are las cruces, new mexico:

for this first picture, i looked at a road map when i got home, and i think i can identify the caballo reservoir on the left, the san andres mountains in the middle, and white sands national monument in the back.

for the second picture, i have a closer look at the san andres mountains, which formed a pretty straight line, and white sands national monument behind it.

las cruces, new mexico, in these next two pictures. i was able to identify the interstate 10 and interstate 25 intersection at the right, as well as us route 70 as it comes down from the mountains and curls towards downtown. i was also able to identify amador and lohman avenues in downtown, and the new mexico state football stadium (i don't think you can see it in the picture, since it was pretty much straight down).

"EAT PECANS". this sign is huge, considering i could clearly read it from 35,000 feet in the air. i zoomed in a little to get a bigger picture. each letter much be the size of a city block. since i saw this as we flew over las cruces, it must be just outside of town, somewhat near the interstate 10 & 25 split.

now i know texas is in the southeast forum, but if you can help me with new mexico, maybe to can help me with west texas. i believe that this picture is of monahan, texas. interstate 20 curls around the city, and a county route cuts through the city, then parallels interstate 20 for a little while. i can see state route 18 heading northwest. lastly, the white area northeast of the city must be monahans sandhills state park.

i have several more pictures of my flight, most of which i have no clue what they are of. i'll put them up when i have more time. i'll also be putting up my las vegas pictures when i have a lot more time (i took literally hundreds of pictures of the city, my friends, etc).
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #2
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

here are a couple pictures that i have no clue what they are of. they are all taken in between las cruces, new mexico, and monahan, texas. i have put them in the order that i took them.

anyone know what these pictures are of? i have more that i'll post later.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:50 AM   #3
touraccuracy
expo

Likes (Received): 0

^What are these?

lol "EAT PECANS"
touraccuracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

I have to say that the photos are quite interesting.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy

^What are these?

lol "EAT PECANS"
i'm guessing ranches. obviously i won't be able to see the fences from so high up, but the lines are probably roads and driveways. a few minutes before i took the picture, so just a little bit west, the roads were a lot more spaced out. too bad i didn't take a picture of that.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #6
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

here are some more pictures to idenitfy. these ones i have absolutely no clue what they are of. i'll start with a couple las vegas pictures, and continue from that.

skip a couple las vegas pictures to save time...

the last vegas picture

the colorado river, south of hoover dam.

lake mead, flying east.

a close up of the previous picture since i've never seen a desert before

meadview, arizona

some pictures of the grand canyon as we flew over it. i wasn't sure if it was the grand canyon at first, but now i am sure.

i'll skip a picture that had too many clouds

one more of the colorado river or a tributary.

here's one with too many clouds to identify anything on land, but it looks nice so i uploaded it anyway.

a couple desert pictures. this is in between the grand canyon and flagstaff, arizona.

humphery's peak, the highest point in arizona. we flew right over it, so i couldn't get the whole thing in the picture.

Last edited by xzmattzx; May 31st, 2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #7
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

here are some more pictures that i haven't identified. they were taken after the picture of the snowy mountain.

looks like a forest ending and a desert beginning. this is east of flagstaff.

chevelon canyon in northeast arizona, with the town of winslow, arizona, in the top left corner.

some farms, with what looks to be a lake to the left.

the desert, south of holbrook, arizona.

snowflake, arizona, to the north, and taylor, arizona, to the south.

skip a picture that didn't turn out well...

approaching the rocky mountains. this picture would have to be of the very eastern part of arizona, south of the town of eager.

a picture of the rocky mountains. i believe these mountains are in apache national forest.

after this picture were the ones of the rio grande valley and las cruces, new mexico, which are already up.

Last edited by xzmattzx; May 31st, 2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:32 PM   #8
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

edit: i did some more research, and i figured out a lot of the arizona pictures. i updated posts 6 and 7 with the new information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement