One Eastside | James Watt Queensway | Residential | 51/15fl | 155/51m | Prop. - Page 23 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2019, 03:18 AM   #441
coathanger16

Likes (Received): 90

For the final time, it's not that the tower or crane interfere with the flight paths, it's the lack of information that CC gave to the airport.

If the 103 Colmore Row crane is taller than the BT Tower, and that is supposedly the benchmark for BHX, then it got the all clear from the airport because they submitted detailed plans that the airport were happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky Boy View Post
I'm afraid this is not correct. Aircraft take off and land into the prevailing wind, always. BHX is a single runway airport which operates as either Runway 15 (150 degrees, ie. SSE) or Runway 33 (330 degrees, NNW) depending on the wind direction.

The aircraft's final destination has no bearing on the direction of take-off.
I'm fully aware that airports have runway directions and that aircraft can only take off in those directions, thank you.

Once airborne however aircraft follow one of a number of SIDs (Standard Instrument Departures). These DO in fact depend on the destination of the flight.

The SID in question, the UMLUX (the current departure, MOSUN is the new one) from runway 33, initially climbs straight ahead, then makes a left turn over the city.

The Emirates flights would NEVER take that departure. From runway 33 they'd take a Daventry, UNGAP or ADMEX departure, all of which after climbing straight ahead make a right turn AWAY from the city.

The picture below clearly shows the multiple departure routes from runway 33:

Again the SID causing 'issues' is the left hand most departure. The Emirates A380 flights take the right most departure route.

Brum X, cyril sneer liked this post
coathanger16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2019, 03:21 AM   #442
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2172

Just been reading the planning committee's take on this and their concerns, prompting the deferment namely:

1) Too much marble in the design
2) Not enough affordable homes (only 3% when Birmingham housing policy expects 35%)
3) It looks like" a giant box with no intricate design or any kind of features that other tall buildings in Birmingham and elsewhere have"

In defence of the scheme, city centre planning officer Jo Todd confirmed the council's head of city design had concluded the scheme to be "acceptable" and stated that the development would not be viable if it delivered any more affordable homes.

My tenpenneth take on this...
1) Too much marble, WHAT!!! we need buildings that look classy no more cheap crude cladding please.
2) This is being built as an exclusive classy residential tower, one Birmingham as very few of, why would you put affordable housing in an exclusive classy tower? If you do it is no longer an exclusive address/tower.
I know affordable housing is required, but why can't the contribution to affordable housing be for a separate location?
3) It may be a "giant box" but its a classic tower design, if the planning committee thinks that is boring and not intricate, wait till the revised 35% affordable housing version comes along...or Bank Tower 3 version.

I suspect there's some inside politics going on here...deliberately putting in a low affordable housing percentage "knowing" it will get knocked back, but at the same time surely planning officials stating this is "acceptable" must know this would get kicked to pieces with the planning committee we've got.

After some real optimism with this one getting approval and off the ground next year. I now fear a back and forth between planning officials and the planning committee lasting a very long time, until we get a very much watered down version or the developers walk away.

So much for creating some exclusive addresses that might tempt our south easy cousins to Birmingham
Old October 12th, 2019, 04:02 AM   #443
JimboSlice

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
I know you work with planning so I don’t doubt that, but height wise, they have field days compared to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Just been reading the planning committee's take on this and their concerns, prompting the deferment namely:

2) Not enough affordable homes (only 3% when Birmingham housing policy expects 35%)
3) It looks like" a giant box with no intricate design or any kind of features that other tall buildings in Birmingham and elsewhere have"

In defence of the scheme, city centre planning officer Jo Todd confirmed the council's head of city design had concluded the scheme to be "acceptable" and stated that the development would not be viable if it delivered any more affordable homes.

1) Too much marble, WHAT!!! we need buildings that look classy no more cheap crude cladding please.
2) This is being built as an exclusive classy residential tower, one Birmingham as very few of, why would you put affordable housing in an exclusive classy tower? If you do it is no longer an exclusive address/tower.
I know affordable housing is required, but why can't the contribution to affordable housing be for a separate location?
3) It may be a "giant box" but its a classic tower design, if the planning committee thinks that is boring and not intricate, wait till the revised 35% affordable housing version comes along...or Bank Tower 3 version.

I suspect there's some inside politics going on here...deliberately putting in a low affordable housing percentage "knowing" it will get knocked back, but at the same time surely planning officials stating this is "acceptable" must know this would get kicked to pieces with the planning committee we've got.

After some real optimism with this one getting approval and off the ground next year. I now fear a back and forth between planning officials and the planning committee lasting a very long time, until we get a very much watered down version or the developers walk away.

So much for creating some exclusive addresses that might tempt our south easy cousins to Birmingham
If the Officer is satisfied with the affordable housing quantum it will be because that's been supported by a viability appraisal which says so, not for political reasons. Why wouldn't you want 'affordable housing' in the development though? it being 'classy' shouldn't make a difference. There are loads of different affordable housing products but it doesn't have to mean to the detriment of quality. What would you prefer, a building owned by investors that will probably never visit there but rent, or, it be used by, and lived in by those from brum? Making a % of it affordable is a surely a benefit to a huge demographic that need a leg up because the market hasn't worked for them in the city. That wont just apply to those in traditional 'middle class' jobs like teaching. Young professionals at Deutsche, Pinsent Masons or any of the Big 4 in the city will still find it hard to get on the property ladder without help from family.

And in terms of attracting those from the south (which I'm guessing you mean London), a tall tower block isn't a show stopper for the majority there.. a balanced community in an area that supports interactions and culture is... Dubai or Kentish Town...

RalphGuy, djay, o'flaneurie, Brum X liked this post

Last edited by JimboSlice; October 12th, 2019 at 04:32 AM.
JimboSlice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #444
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1693

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post

It ridiculous to have a council to make stupid Claims like it got to much marble. We should be encouraging high quality materials to be used. Oh boy I canít wait till Martin Martineau goes to the committee with 76 affordable house out of 919 homes, which results to 8.27% of the development. Clearly CC had a target market for this and wanted to make it high quality. Here you got the council wanting it to low quality build, like they need to pipe down.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 04:02 PM   #445
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 5882

Be thankful you're not in Wolverhampton, where no building can be taller than St Peter's Church (Victoria Halls and Brewers Yard are outside of the Ring Road).

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

Mosleyan liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 03:59 PM   #446
Brum Knows Best

Likes (Received): 353

I am not in the industry, so do not really understand the inís and outís of applications and planning, so what is the main difference between what happened with Bíham airport and the council and the review panel, and what happens in a city like Manchester where there seem to have towers going up like there is no tomorrow.

Is it the council or the developers or a combination?

Look at this development, should it really be hard for a developer to get a 155m tower built in the 2nds city?

Hasaandoo liked this post
Brum Knows Best no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #447
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17555

Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:28 PM   #448
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14742

Looks like the Mercian

morestoreysplease liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:10 PM   #449
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Knows Best View Post
I am not in the industry, so do not really understand the in’s and out’s of applications and planning, so what is the main difference between what happened with B’ham airport and the council and the review panel, and what happens in a city like Manchester where there seem to have towers going up like there is no tomorrow.

Is it the council or the developers or a combination?

Look at this development, should it really be hard for a developer to get a 155m tower built in the 2nds city?
It's not hard at all. This development has been recommended for approval pending only the provision of the necessary information for the airport. It's that simple. I don't understand why it is so difficult to understand for some people here.

I don't know that much about Manchester, but I know that they too have plenty of towers that are taking forever to get off the ground, some of them have even been mothballed altogether. They're just getting way more proposals and therefore more towers are actually getting built.

Last edited by Mosleyan; October 13th, 2019 at 10:51 PM.
Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 10:44 PM   #450
joshwebb
User Registered

Likes (Received): 783

This thread has been going in circles this week.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:34 PM   #451
Mosleyan

Likes (Received): 4361

Mosleyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:59 PM   #452
Hasaandoo

Damnnnn that building is almost gooooone

Bham123 liked this post
Old October 24th, 2019, 12:21 PM   #454
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3691

When will we hear if BHX are happy about this development? Is it a lengthy process?
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:02 PM   #455
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
When will we hear if BHX are happy about this development? Is it a lengthy process?
should be no more than 21 days after the applicant submits the new information. However, we are unlikely to know until it goes back to planning committee.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

rotundazag liked this post

Last edited by djay; October 24th, 2019 at 01:15 PM.
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #456
Blue Sky Boy

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
They’ll probably be happy about a 30m tall building being demolished.
Blue Sky Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 10:35 PM   #457
Evolution21
Previously Storeys

Likes (Received): 197

Gone! From today.

One Eastside by SWPD, on Flickr

One Eastside by SWPD, on Flickr
Evolution21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2019, 11:46 PM   #458
Hasaandoo

It GONEEEEEEEE IT OFFICALLY GONEEEE, cleat the site we got a tower to put there, hopefully

RalphGuy, Brum X, rotundazag liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2019, 01:32 AM   #459
WarwickDan

Likes (Received): 2394

...or maybe BHX will put an auxiliary runway there.
Old November 5th, 2019, 11:33 AM   #460
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 14742

Massive pile of rubble to get through now, any news on a date this goes back for a decision? Actually seems like a project that will get out the ground.

rotundazag, Hasaandoo liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement