Tour de California - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #21
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 54

It will surely expand. Expect the route to change every year. No doubt, San Diego will see the Tour sometime soon. However, for the northern route that you projected, we have to keep in mind that this is happening in February-- cold, rainy, snowy February. So I don't think it would be smart to be taking the bikes up towards the Western Sierras.

For most of California to be shown in all its glory, they'd have to hold this race around May or June. Unfortunately, most of the classic, established European bike races that are part of the pro-cycling season are around May and June so we wouldn't be able to get the popular teams to come our way.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #22
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whose Homepage
Knowing you as an ardent and accomplished cyclist, boybaha, I'd thought that we might be able to cheer you!
I may be ardent but I'm nowhere near accomplished!

I think it's ironic that Amgen is the main supporter of California's premier cycling event. Amgen are the makers of EPO, a performance-enhancing drug that cyclists have been known to use in the past and has been outlawed by the world cycling authorities.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #23
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5336

INTERESTING

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:26 AM   #24
612bv3

Likes (Received): 101

A little of the topic, but the San Francisco Grand Prix has been cancelled next year, maybe permanently. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...type=printable
612bv3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #25
612bv3

The prologue time trail is on February 19. It's a 1.9 miles long and starts at the Ferry Building and ends at the top of Telegraph Hill/Coit Tower in San Francisco. If you visit their website, you can look at the specific route of the race.
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #26
612bv3

Teams competing:
- Discovery (DSC) - USA
- T-Mobile (TMO) - GER
- Phonak (PHO) - SUI
- Gerolsteiner (GST) - GER
- Saunier Duval-Prodir (SDV) - ESP
- Navigators Insurance (NIC) - USA
- Davitamon Lotto (DVL) - BEL
- Healthnet (HNM) - USA
- Jelly Belly (UCI Continental)
- TIAA-CREF (UCI Continental)
- Colavita/Sutter Home (UCI Continental)
- CSC (CSC) - DEN
- Kodak Gallery.com/Sierra Nevada (UCI Continental)
- KB Home Mexican National Team
- Credit Agricole (C.A.) - FRA
- United Pro (UCI Continental)
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #27
hngcm

Likes (Received): 27

It doesn't go thru San Diego, so it can go to hell for all i care. Or hella for you norcal people.
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #28
612bv3

Hella? Hella = hecka not hell.

Doesn't mean it's not going to SD this year, doesn't mean it wont be going there next year.
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #29
Maarten

Likes (Received): 0

A nice idea that Tour of California, it has more to offer then the Tour of Georgia, but it would never be a rival for the tour de france. The Tour de France is in cycling as big like the superbowl in football, but it's 3 times older then that. I hope it will be a part of the protour in a couple of years. Maybe they can grow to a level of Paris-Nice or the Tour of Switzerland. It's really difficult to become a important cycling race. The race has to proof itself 20/30 years, every year and every stage, before they are more accepted at the cycling calender. It takes more then 50 years to be a traditional race. So i hope this project is for the long run.
Maarten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #30
svs

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 612bv3
A little of the topic, but the San Francisco Grand Prix has been cancelled next year, maybe permanently. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...type=printable
This might not be off topic at all. The SF race takes place around labor day, this would be a much better time to run the state wide race, making runs through the Sierras, grapevine, and Cascades possible. Later the SF race can be started again in february which would be great as far as climate goes and would give SF a tourist attraction during the slow season. Everybody wins.
svs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #31
612bv3

Are there any other bike race around labor day? A february race in SF will be a bad a idea because there's a chance of rain.

Here's the prologue race route:
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #32
CBR3

Likes (Received): 2

I cant wait to watch the tour. As for all the February weather talk, the weather in France, Belgium and the Netherlands for the spring classics (March / April) can be quite nasty. However, riders and fans attend and cherish these events. Only here do we expect the events to run on a dry, sunny 60 -65 degree day. In Europe, they run no matter what, even across the cobblestones!
CBR3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #33
612bv3

It starts tomorrow at 10 AM.
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #34
612bv3

TOUR OF CALIFORNIA
Tour lures top riders to Golden State's roads

Article:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #35
Eric95403

Likes (Received): 0

It's coming to Santa Rosa...that's all I care about. The weather should be a bit brisk, but the sun will be shining. Since tomorrow is a holiday, the crowds should be large as we cheer on our own Levi Leipheimer.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/p...03/1269/NEWS01
Eric95403 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #36
612bv3

He finished first today.
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #37
612bv3

California Tour Begins, but Eyes Are on Future
Organizers are looking to invest millions so the cycling event can grow into a world-class, 2,000-mile race.

By Diane Pucin
Times Staff Writer

February 19, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO — The newest addition to the international professional cycling tour starts here today and will end in Redondo Beach next Sunday. It will be a race of eight stages and 600 miles. But that's just this year.

Phil Anschutz, the reclusive man in charge of Anschutz Entertainment Group, is ready to invest $35 million over the next five years to make sure this first tour of California is not only a success for one week but that it eventually will become a full, 21-day, 2,000-mile grand tour, the fourth in the world, joining the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and Spanish Vuelta.

Is this just dreaming?

"I don't think so," said Jonathan Vaughters, director of Team TIAA-CREF, the top U.S. developmental cycling team. "If anyone can do it, that man can. And if ever there is a time to try, it's now."

The Tour of California begins at 10 this morning with a 1.9-mile time trial that begins at the Ferry Building, runs along the Embarcadero and ends with a dramatic climb up Telegraph Hill to finish at Coit Tower.

The final leg next Sunday is a 76.5-mile circuit race — 10 laps over a course that runs along the Redondo Beach Esplanade, through Riviera Village and ends on Harbor Street.

In between, some 128 riders from 16 teams — including the best U.S.-based squad, Discovery Channel, and eight top European pro teams including CSC, T-Mobile, Phonak and Gerolsteiner — will travel down the California coast with stage finishes in Santa Rosa, San Jose, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks.

The key stages are expected to be Tuesday's hilly route from Martinez to San Jose and Wednesday's 17-mile time trial along the Chesbro and Calero Reservoirs outside of San Jose.

Among the top riders competing are Discovery Channel's George Hincapie, who won a stage at last year's Tour de France; Tom Danielson, who won the 2005 Tour of Georgia; Paolo Savoldelli, who won the 2005 Giro d'Italia; CSC's Bobby Julich, a 2004 Olympic bronze medalist; Dave Zabriskie, the surprise winner of the 2005 Tour de France opening prologue; Saunier Duval's Gilberto Simoni, a two-time winner of the Giro d'Italia; Gerolsteiner's Levi Leipheimer, from nearby Santa Rosa and the sixth-place finisher at the 2005 Tour de France; and Phonak's Floyd Landis, a San Diego resident and the ninth-place rider at last year's Tour de France.

But it is the future of this event that is taking center stage.

Alain Rumpf, pro tour manager for the Union Cycliste Internationale, will be closely watching the race.

"The goal of UCI is to grow the sport around the world," Rumpf said from his office in Switzerland. "Of course it is important to have a base in the United States. But coming to the idea of another so-called Grand Tour? That is not easy.

"The Tour de France is completely special and it is 100 years old. The current trend is more for shorter races. But I do believe the Tour of California could be one of the major races in the world in a couple of years."

Julich, 34, is also cautious when talking about this race evolving into a U.S. version of the Tour de France. "That's a pretty lofty goal," Julich said. "We need to go year by year and not try to compare it to those big races right away."

That Amgen is the title sponsor of the race has provided a jolt of controversy. Based in Thousand Oaks, Amgen has been in the forefront of production of EPO, the recombinant version erythropoietin. EPO's main use is to help cancer and kidney disease patients to stimulate production of red blood cells. But EPO has also been used illegally by endurance athletes including cyclists to help boost oxygen production.

"I think Amgen is quite smart to sponsor a bike race," said Shawn Hunter, president of AEG sports. "They are taking a proactive course and getting the word out about a product that is of great help."

And the biggest need for successful cycling tours is sponsorship. "That's where we make money," Hunter said. AEG hopes to break even by next year and maybe make a profit by the third year.

Paul Sherwen, who competed in seven Tour de France races and is now a cycling broadcaster, is cautiously optimistic about the future AEG sees for this event.

"I live in Africa and personally I believe that the survival of the sport depends partly on globalization, of taking it away from old school Europe," he said. "In the U.S., strangely, cycling is one of the most practiced sports, alongside fishing, but people have never gotten behind the competitive sport. Now the time is right. You need to take advantage of the post-Lance Armstrong era.

"It always takes somebody with a vision. The Tour de France started in 1903 as one man's dream. And look what happened."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/cyclin...ck=1&cset=true
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #38
612bv3

Stages

Sunday, February 19
9:30am-2:00pm San Francisco (Prologue Start/Finish)
Embarcadero/Market Street

Monday, February 20
10:30am-2:30pm Santa Rosa (Stage 1 Finish)
Santa Rosa Avenue/3rd Street

Tuesday, February 21
10:30am-3:00pm San José (Stage 2 Finish)
Almaden Boulevard/Park Ave.

Wednesday, February 22
10:30am-2:30pm San José (Stage 3 Time Trial)
Santa Teresa Boulevard / between Chantilley Lane
and Avenida Espan

Thursday, February 23
11:00am-4:00pm San Luis Obispo (Stage 4 Finish)
Monterey/Oso Street

Friday, February 24
10:30am-2:30pm Santa Barbara (Stage 5 Finish)
West Cabrillo Boulevard / near State Street

Saturday, February 25
10:00am-2:00pm Thousand Oaks (Stage 6 Finish)
1 Amgen Center Drive

Sunday, February 26
11:00am-5:00pm Redondo Beach (Stage 7 Start/Finish Circuit Race)
West Harbor Drive / south of Beryl Street
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #39
612bv3

Stage 1

Old February 20th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #40
612bv3

First Tour of California had quick death
John Dugan

Underneath the hype and hoopla surrounding the "inaugural" Tour of California lies a big secret nobody wants to talk about.

This is not the first Tour of California.

In 1970, a bike shop owner from Berkeley named Peter Rich decided that he was going to make it his mission to bring cycling to the American masses. He poured over $60,000 of his own money into making his mission a reality, and in 1971 some of the world's best cyclists congregated in Bear Valley to experience the true inaugural Tour of California.

"Up until then, there had never been a stage race in California," said Rich, who still owns Velo Sport Bicycles in Berkeley. "As the sport started to grow, I felt it was time for California to showcase our roads."

The original Tour preparations entailed notifying 55 different police agencies throughout the state and coordinating the inclusion of teams from New England, the Midwest, Germany, Canada and Mexico among other places.

Cycling's fledgling nature in the U.S. created a strange media atmosphere, where virtually all of the assembled coverage came from abroad.

"The race got more coverage in Europe than it did in California," Rich said. Despite the dearth of local interest the Tour came together successfully and provided riders with a great taste of the state.

Beginning in Bear Valley, in the Sierras between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite Valley, the seven-day event involved much of Northern California. Riders left Bear Valley and pedaled to Stockton on Day One, then rested before the Day Two trek from Stockton to Berkeley, where the day finished with a criterium through the downtown area.

Day Three closely resembled the route riders will take in Monday's new Tour of California - the '71 version began in San Francisco and made its way up the coast, finishing in Santa Rosa with a team time trial. Riders left Santa Rosa and headed down Highway 12 and over to Davis on Day Four. The race picked up in Sacramento on Day Five, when riders would make the uphill climb into Nevada City.

Day Six, the toughest climb of the Tour, ran north out of Nevada City, high up into the Sierras before finishing in Truckee. On Day Seven riders made the descent from Squaw Valley to Bear Valley where the race ended with another criterium. The race provided riders with an extremely challenging and high-profile event in the U.S., something that had been lacking.

But the riders weren't the ones paying the bills, and after Rich nearly busted himself getting the Tour up and running the sponsors didn't step up with the necessary funding. The money ran dry and Rich pulled the plug after that first race in 1971, and the Tour of California rested in limbo until now.

"That was pretty much the finish of my ability to put on races," Rich said. "It cost me a huge amount of money out of my pocket, and it kept me from running my business. I couldn't keep it up."
Advertisement