Downtown Phoenix Tour Part 1 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID, BC
» Development News | Albuquerque | Las Vegas | Los Angeles | San Francisco Bay Area | Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #1
AZian

Likes (Received): 0

Downtown Phoenix Tour Part 1

Taken today, the high was a cool 110f, down three from yesterday's high of 113f. These pics were also taken during business hours, so everyone is in retreat (or detainment) in their air cooled offices. That's why the streets appear to be so deserted. During lunch hour, it gets crowded as heck.

Civic Center/Copper Square Area: Just so ya know

Notice the thermometer in the lower left

And now..................the future Phoenix Light Rail System currently under construction

One of the biggest kickers is the fact that many store fronts have been impeded by the construction. Many businesses have failled during the course of construction, but I guess that's economic darwainism.

This is the future Grace Court, and I think its condos, because "court" is typically a residential title. The old school is being gutted, and an addition appears to be under construction

Infill happening!! Unfortunately, it appears to be low density.

The Dodge Theatre:

Court House:

The Art Deco Orpheum Lofts, across the street from the orpheum theatre. Who would have guessed?

A look up Phoenix's stunning Central Corridor; lined with tons of mid and high rise office buildings, condos, flats, and who knows what.

It got so damn hot, I had to stop for a ten-minute cool-down. Although compared to sunday, this 110f stuff is nothing.

Back at it again......US Airways Centre: Home of the Laker beatin' Phoenix Suns that with Amare back on the court, will smoother those Mavs all the way back to Hicksville, ahem, dallas.

The future Summit at Copper Square, it will surely bring the sourthern part of downtown a much needed face-lift

Some fairly new townhomes along Washington, right across from Chase Field.

The Historic Monroe school that appeared to be gutted, and I have no idea what project is taking place there. Renovations perhapse

The cursed reason our skyline height is so measly:

Chase Field, Home of the D-Backs. Funny, both of our pro sporting venues have been renamed in the last year due to corporate mergers. US Air and AWA merged, leaving America West Arena the US Airways Centre, and Bank One was acquired by JP Morgan Chase, thus leaving Bankone Ballpark (BOB) Chase Field.

AZian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #2
chicbicyclist

Pheonix has a way to go, but its nice to see mass transit that isnt necesarilly looked down upon(bus has this image of poor people, nttawwt) finally being constructed there.
chicbicyclist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #3
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 48

Lovely photos!!! Now I am ready for Part 2
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #4
JBOB

Phoenix seems like a nice sprawling city one of the few U.S. Major cities I have not visited. Once Phoenix passes Philly in Population it will be interesting to see what Philadelphia City Goverment are willing to do.
JBOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #5
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

``
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #6
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Phoenix doesn't look as big as the stats say.
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

Looking at the pics were as excruciating as walking out in 110 degree heat.

It looks barren. Streetlife is virtually nil. Not much for pedestrian destinations. I don't care if a native Phoenician says they're used to it, but I doubt anyone would enjoy taking a stroll in extreme heat. Unless they put a giant retractable roof over downtown Phoenix I don't see it ever becoming half as vibrant as your average downtown. This city was built and continues to grow with the suburban life in mind.

Seeing a new transit system being built is a plus though.

I think to myself "Why is Phoenix the fastes growing city in America?" after seeing these pics. The home prices must truly be a bargain there.
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #8
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Hey, I bought a brand new house in Phoenix for only eight dollars last week.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #9
pdxheel

Likes (Received): 1

I just don't see the appeal of Phoenix.
pdxheel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #10
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

nic pics,
phoenix is an interesting place, but i couldnt go there again in the summer,
take some pics outside when it is really really hot, like 120 plus!
you should also crack an egg on your car hood and take a picture of it!
that would be hilarious,
there has to be some way that they can cool the city off, like planting stuff on the roofs or using something besides concrete and asphalt for roads and sidewalks,

i have a morbid fascination with phoenix,
but mainly just glad i dont live there anymore,
bank one ballpark sounds much better, chase field yuck,
i have to divorce myself from that evil corporate entity!
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #11
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5370

phoenix looks pretty nice to me. the skyline isn't very tall, but i think it would be stranger to have huge skyscrapers and a dense downtown because it would feel strange to have a fast-paced city out in the middle of the desert, where life can be slower.

i like the palm trees and deciduous trees along some of the streets. the olive green of the leaves goes well with the tans, browns, and reds of the landscape.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #12
wilycoyote24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx

It looks barren. Streetlife is virtually nil. Not much for pedestrian destinations. I don't care if a native Phoenician says they're used to it, but I doubt anyone would enjoy taking a stroll in extreme heat. Unless they put a giant retractable roof over downtown Phoenix I don't see it ever becoming half as vibrant as your average downtown. This city was built and continues to grow with the suburban life in mind.

I think to myself "Why is Phoenix the fastes growing city in America?" after seeing these pics. The home prices must truly be a bargain there.
If you live here for long enough, 110 truely isnt that bad at all. Personally, I find it perfectly comfortable at anything less than 110 degrees. And it rarely climbs past 120.

However, for decades upon decades upon decades our core has been a wasteland. The sports venues were obviously not nearly enough to create a 24/7 downtown. However, I am optimistic with the leadership of Mayor Phil Gordon. The new light-rail, downtown ASU campus of 15,000 , a tripling of the size of the convention center, biotech campus/u of a medical school, and the high rise condos being built currently seem to indicate the chance for a real downtown.
wilycoyote24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #13
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx

Well, as I said this was during business hours, so most of the people at work were exhilled in their offices. I should have taken more pictures during the lunch hour, that would have shown the vast pedestrian traffic that does occur during those times.

Also, the horridly hot weather only is here for three months, much like the horridly cold weather in chicago, minneapolis, detroit, etc. Much of the rest of the year is really nice. As far as getting used to the weather, it takes about a year. I moved out here from southern california almost two years ago, and this summer I was ready. It is really nice in that a "cool" day here is 105f! Just like a "warm" day in Minneapolis in february is 25f!

As far as housing prices, they have been getting up there lately. They are now higher than Denver's. In the southeast valley, a good sized 2500 sqf house will set you back about 380k. Not bad, considering that same house we were looking at back in irvine was 1.3 mil! Other less desirable areas in the valley will be about 100k less than that such as Maricopa, and far Buckeye and west valley (loop 303 and beyond). It is also growing fast because job opportunities are limitless, land is abundand, and the climate in general is desirable year-round.
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #14
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 13

I forgot where I was...maybe it was las vegas? or somewhere in california maybe..but anyway, I was walking down a street and the awnings had "misters" that would spray a light mist of water on the people walking under it. I don't think they were plant sprinklers, I think they were deliberately for the pedestrians. It definitely made the walk cooler...does Phoenix have that somewhere?
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 12:06 AM   #15
AZian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86
I forgot where I was...maybe it was las vegas? or somewhere in california maybe..but anyway, I was walking down a street and the awnings had "misters" that would spray a light mist of water on the people walking under it. I don't think they were plant sprinklers, I think they were deliberately for the pedestrians. It definitely made the walk cooler...does Phoenix have that somewhere?
We have misters here in phx, but they are almost always used for outdoor cafes/seating areas/businesses and for their customers only. In downtown, a few outdoor restaurants had them along the sidewalks, so as you were melting in the sunlight and you walked past one of these, it would cool you off briefly, until you passed whatever business it is. But there is no city-wide system along major pedestrian routes. Which is good, considering we are in the DESERT and dont need to waste water when we can drive in our cars and pollute the air, thus warming the weather even more. Tucson and UofA actually have underground walkways that are air conditioned!
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #16
Azn_chi_boi

Likes (Received): 12

Great photos... I hope to see these streets when I go there. Is it close to the airport?

This picture look exactly like L.A.

Could I request you take pictures near Tempe, Scottsdale, or Gilbert? That is where I am going visit the most...when I go to Arizonia.

BTW, AZian, thanks for all your help by answering these questions!
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #17
waaz1

We have misters in our back yard!
waaz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #18
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 801

Dowtown Phoenix Actually looks pretty nice 110F must be hot there but at least you have no humidity like we do here. Nice pics.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #19
Don B.

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
Could I request you take pictures near Tempe, Scottsdale, or Gilbert? That is where I am going visit the most...when I go to Arizonia.
Tempe photos I've taken:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...empe%20Photos/

Scottsdale photos I've taken:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...dale%20Photos/

Some of the aerial photos of suburban sprawl in this series were taken in Gilbert:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...August%202005/

--don
Don B. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #20
Guy Legend

Very nice pics.

Is there an official height limit for buildings downtown, because of the airport? I was in San Diego a few days ago (their airport is next to downtown too - although there is talk of building elsewhere) and found out that they have a 40 story limit on skyscrapers.
Guy Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement