Looking for game where you drive on motorways - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #21
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 1320

^ I was just saying that a freeway in a driving simulator would be pretty entertaining as well
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I thought about recommending some stuff, but when you mentioned "racing", it defeats the purpose No racing game will really give you the feel of real driving, and the only genre really missing from the PC today is that of simulation of real driving where you have to follow all the traffic rules. The motorway is probably the least fun part of such a game though, because it doesn't involve "doing" much

With that said, if you would like to try an "educational driving simulator" where you follow the rules of traffic in Europe, but with pretty bad graphics, I recommend this:
http://www.3d-fahrschule.de/uk_index.htm
I have it, and enjoy it sometimes when I'm really bored But I really like any type of simulators, especially flight ones (MS Flight Sim). You also have the autobahn here, and some left-side driving in London.

MateoW mentioned Test Drive Unlimited. It's an awesome game because it's one of few computer games that feature a fully manual transmission with a clutch, which is kind of fun to play with, even though it's limited if you don't have pedals and a shifter (I just assigned a key to the clutch ).

But yeah, bottom line is that large and high quality driving simulators for real life driving (where you follow the rules and details such as traffic signs, lights, markings, etc. are emphasized) do not really exist, and can be found only on expensive driver education equipment.

I once thought about developing something like this on my own, or with a couple of friends, but currently I don't have the time for such things. Maybe in the future
I have downloaded this game and it is very nice, even with crappy graphics it gives loads of fun Only demo version I'm thinking about buying full version Unless you have crack or something guys
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #23
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
I have downloaded this game and it is very nice, even with crappy graphics it gives loads of fun Only demo version I'm thinking about buying full version Unless you have crack or something guys

I once made a Fraps video of me driving through most roads in that game, maybe I should post it on Youtube as a preview
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #24
Mateusz

Oh well, I bought full version for download I hope it will be improved with time, bigger and more complex maps
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #25
Kame
Very nice, how much?

Likes (Received): 2478

Here we go:

Kiel - Some photos every few days ***** Germany - Some photos every few days ***** Hamburg - Some photos every few days
Kame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #26
Mateusz

Tracks could be longer I played it much since yesterday but I'm free riding instead of following the rules
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #27
radi6404

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Tracks could be longer I played it much since yesterday but I'm free riding instead of following the rules
I don´t like short tracks. Does the game have free run or free ride? The graphics din´t look too bad.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #28
Mateusz

You have to follow the traffic rules
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #29
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I don´t like short tracks. Does the game have free run or free ride? The graphics din´t look too bad.
There is a free ride, yes, but traffic rules still apply, even though you can choose not to follow them. The only traffic rule you must always follow is never to go the wrong way. If you do, you will be stopped immediately.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #30
radi6404

Quote:
There is a free ride, yes, but traffic rules still apply, even though you can choose not to follow them. The only traffic rule you must always follow is never to go the wrong way. If you do, you will be stopped immediately.
How many km of road does it have?
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #31
timmy- brissy
Don't Stare!

Likes (Received): 30

probaly when gta4 comes it will pretty good.
timmy- brissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #32
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6491

Most definitely Test Drive Unlimited...but it's set in Hawaii lol.
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Mateusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy- brissy View Post
probaly when gta4 comes it will pretty good.
But GTA IV will be limited to city area
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #34
radi6404

Quote:
But GTA IV will be limited to city area
Cause of the awful rap fashion the game companies only produce such kind of car games. It didn´t sue to be like that, old Need for speed games where apsolutely awesome for their time, wtih great mountain tracks with great roads and so on but now everything si with city, tuning, illegal races and so on, apsoltuely stupid and awful.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #35
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 3

Yeah, I remember playing the mountain stages in NFS I and III over and over again... What great times were those!

I am thinking... maybe Google Earth is the answer. Maybe in the future it will include a lot more detail, 3D objects & buildings, etc, so we could visit/drive across the world from our own computers.

I know, I'm just dreaming right now... they don't even show Struma in hi-res at this moment !
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #36
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 5785

^ They don't have Struma at all.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #37
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Yeah, I remember playing the mountain stages in NFS I and III over and over again... What great times were those!

I am thinking... maybe Google Earth is the answer. Maybe in the future it will include a lot more detail, 3D objects & buildings, etc, so we could visit/drive across the world from our own computers.

I know, I'm just dreaming right now... they don't even show Struma in hi-res at this moment !
That´s teh apsolutely biggest shame the best motorway in bulgaria is uncovered but all areas arround it are in high res. What a shame.
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #38
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
How many km of road does it have?
Not many at all. It is purely about the educational concept. I guess I will post that video I made, where I drive through all the cities in that game and come back to the exact parking spot I start at. The video is timelapsed of course. But I need to find the time, as I have a lot of work from university.

Quote:
Cause of the awful rap fashion the game companies only produce such kind of car games. It didn´t sue to be like that, old Need for speed games where apsolutely awesome for their time, wtih great mountain tracks with great roads and so on but now everything si with city, tuning, illegal races and so on, apsoltuely stupid and awful.
Well actually the urban scenes in GTA are not bad. GTA San Andreas actually has a very large motorway system that is pretty fun to drive on, and even includes some sections in a semi-forest area with tunnels.

However, I wish it were possible to somehow reprogram the behaviour of the AI drivers. They are programmed to make your life difficult as a driver, so they do such things like always turning right from the left lane, ram into you when you slow down or stop at a red light on a high speed road, and change lanes right into you when you are driving exactly beside them

Also some of the lane markings in that game make no sense, like yellow to separate lanes going into the same direction (since the convention defies the standards in North America), etc. This kind of detail is of course not important to players of the game, and is only important to roadgeeks like us I guess

But all in all it's a pretty cool game to play even just for driving.
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #39
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 1088

on the english google maps site, you can "ride" through the cities of 5 american cities, photowise of course, but it is not bad when you have a fast internet conection so that the pictures load immediately.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #40
Mateusz

Quote:
Not many at all. It is purely about the educational concept. I guess I will post that video I made, where I drive through all the cities in that game and come back to the exact parking spot I start at. The video is timelapsed of course. But I need to find the time, as I have a lot of work from university.

Well actually the urban scenes in GTA are not bad. GTA San Andreas actually has a very large motorway system that is pretty fun to drive on, and even includes some sections in a semi-forest area with tunnels.

However, I wish it were possible to somehow reprogram the behaviour of the AI drivers. They are programmed to make your life difficult as a driver, so they do such things like always turning right from the left lane, ram into you when you slow down or stop at a red light on a high speed road, and change lanes right into you when you are driving exactly beside them

Also some of the lane markings in that game make no sense, like yellow to separate lanes going into the same direction (since the convention defies the standards in North America), etc. This kind of detail is of course not important to players of the game, and is only important to roadgeeks like us I guess

But all in all it's a pretty cool game to play even just for driving.
I prefer bypass of San Fierro It could be upgraded to 3 lanes in each direction The real crap is highway from Los Santos to San Fierro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement