Buffalo Development News - Page 451 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Buffalo / Niagara Falls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #9001
JSmith

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar View Post
Looks a bit like the building that houses Spot Coffee, but apparently with better parking management.
JSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #9002
fubo

Likes (Received): 1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
Looks a bit like the building that houses Spot Coffee, but apparently with better parking management.
Do you mean the Spot on Main St in Williamsville? That building was originally built as a CVS Drug store 25-30 years ago
fubo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #9003
JSmith

Yes, that one. Was it really a CVS? It's a multi-tenant building. Was it remodeled extensively?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #9004
fubo

A revised plan to build a new $270 million children’s hospital on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus was approved Thursday by state officials...

...The hospital project calls for a 410,000-square-foot, 12-story facility, including a 9-bed children’s cancer unit on the 12th floor to be operated in collaboration with Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Total beds in the new plan come to 183, 17 fewer than at the existing Children’s Hospital of Buffalo on Bryant Street.

The project will be built on Ellicott Street between the Buffalo General Medical Center and Conventus, a medical office building project under development by Ciminelli Real Estate Corp.

Kaleida has said it hopes to break ground this spring, with completion by late 2016

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-d-by-nys.html
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #9005
fubo

Quote:
Yes, that one. Was it really a CVS? It's a multi-tenant building. Was it remodeled extensively?
I don't know what else was in the building but the spot where Spot is was a drug store. I remember getting meds there for my oldest when he was a baby. The exterior looked almost exactly like is looks today. I don't think they changed anything but the signage on the exterior
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #9006
MrM64

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Gas station at Elmwood & Delavan to be replaced by an upscale restaurant (and presumably apartments in a mixed-use multistory building)?

How credible is this rumor? ECP?

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/rum...elavan-corner/

There's more good news coming to the Village -- and its not rumor:

The Bavarian Nut Company is coming to Elmwood Avenue. The company is opening in the former Dandy Candy/Karl storefront, in close proximity to The Lexington Co-op, Taste of Siam, and Bureau Clothing.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/the...n-nut-company/

More good Elmwood news is on the way. A former residential space located next to Blush Clothing and Accessories is getting a commercial upgrade. The transition from residential to commercial will bring with it a new business called sSet (Tess spelled backwards) that is scheduled to open on April 15. Once open, sSet will feature reusable, sustainable, local and organic wares, with a bent on housewares products.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/sset-comes-to-elmwood/

desertpunk liked this post
MrM64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #9007
homestar
Baleeted!

Likes (Received): 843

Quote:
Well, the restaurant would be operated by the former owner of Oliver's, so that's a pretty good hint that it would be upscale. The Elmwood Village Design Standards require a multistory mixed-use building.
Good point. The guy's name went right over my head when reading the article the first time. At least that ensures it will be an upscale place. Also since it will be a new-build, the EVA guidelines will likely force them to build it 2 stories and front the corner. So that's good. I don't think they require mixed-use though. Also EVA doesn't always enforce their design rules as much as I would hope. Don't forget other new builds were allowed to build a fake 2nd floor (1.5 floors like the Bank of America) just to pass guidelines.

Quote:
the new Williamsville one will also have residential apartments and hidden parking. Big steps for the burbs! Especially since this site isn't even in the 'heart' of the Williamsville village.
homestar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #9008
Smashingt

Likes (Received): 206

Btw I went by one canalside today and the park next to it had those potted plants removed.
Smashingt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #9009
homestar
Baleeted!

I think the potted plants in the east park were just for winter decoration and to avoid people tripping on the water canals when there's no water in them.
Also, I noticed there's much more activity lately on the Aud site. I have no idea what they're actually doing... but they're doing something.

Last edited by homestar; April 11th, 2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #9010
fubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
The skuttlebut I heard is that the early indications are that a new stadium would go on the Milstein property in downtown Niagara Falls NY. Apparently Milstein is somewhat involved with the Jim Kelly group interested in the long term future of the Bills in WNY.

It makes sense to be that much closer to Canada while also outside the heavy snow zone that is Erie County. Plus the distance from the Rochester area would be the same or closer depending upon where in the Rochester metro one is coning from.
Looks like the AP finally started to put the pieces together on this topic posted on this site in January of 2013.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #9011
fubo

Genesee Gateway Building

Marco’s Italian Deli will be leasing a portion of the first floor in the Genesee Gateway Building, with the intent of opening this summer. That ties in with Catholic Health moving into its new corporate headquarters and training center, almost across Oak Street. Marco’s is leasing 4,000-square-feet facing the Genesee and Oak street corner of the building.

Marco’s joins a growing list of new restaurants planned not only along the Genesee Gateway stretch but also along downtown’s 500 block of Main Street. As many as 10 new restaurants or coffee shops have either announced plans to open or have opened in recent months, with others also in the pipeline.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...is-summer.html

WIGS liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #9012
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubo View Post
Genesee Gateway Building

Marco’s Italian Deli will be leasing a portion of the first floor in the Genesee Gateway Building, with the intent of opening this summer. That ties in with Catholic Health moving into its new corporate headquarters and training center, almost across Oak Street. Marco’s is leasing 4,000-square-feet facing the Genesee and Oak street corner of the building.

Marco’s joins a growing list of new restaurants planned not only along the Genesee Gateway stretch but also along downtown’s 500 block of Main Street. As many as 10 new restaurants or coffee shops have either announced plans to open or have opened in recent months, with others also in the pipeline.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...is-summer.html
Ahhh! Fink steals again!

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/gen...aurant-tenant/

fubo, WIGS liked this post
ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #9013
JSmith

Data center with 24 employees (and plans to hire 5 more) moving from Amherst to downtown Buffalo:
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-business.html

WIGS liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:00 PM   #9014
JSmith

Quote:
Also, I noticed there's much more activity lately on the Aud site. I have no idea what they're actually doing... but they're doing something.
"A year late, replica canals coming together at Aud site"
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n....html?page=all

WIGS, homestar liked this post
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9015
ECoastTransplant

Likes (Received): 1144

Score one for common sense- Elmwood/Forest deed restrictions tossed. Helllo mixed use future.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/bre...ctions-tossed/

WIGS liked this post
ECoastTransplant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #9016
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
Score one for common sense- Elmwood/Forest deed restrictions tossed. Helllo mixed use future.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/bre...ctions-tossed/

Welcome Back WCP/ECT!

Is the proposal resurrected now? It looks awesome.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #9017
Spaulding97

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECoastTransplant View Post
Score one for common sense- Elmwood/Forest deed restrictions tossed. Helllo mixed use future. http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/bre...ctions-tossed/
It looks great and makes sense. if I'm reading this right, there has to be 100% approval by surrounding areas. What are the chances these ding bats do that though?
Spaulding97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #9018
homestar
Baleeted!

That 100% signoff was the established way to change the deed restrictions. He avoided that by going through the courts instead and getting the deed restrictions removed that way. So the 100% neighbor approval is no longer necessary.

To be honest if my home was there, I wouldn't want an 8-story hotel in my backyard either (who would?) so I sympathize somewhat with their concerns. Overall this seems like a good project and that corner really needs something. The height is a bit high for that area... probably anything over 5 floors is very tall there, and I wish the designs were a littler classier too, but it's an exciting project and will create a gateway to Elmwood.
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #9019
homestar
Baleeted!

Possibly the latest rendering of the Elmwood Hotel project

Buffalo News

older rendering

desertpunk liked this post
Old April 13th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #9020
sin|ill

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Possibly the latest rendering of the Elmwood Hotel project
the change of materials along the top 2 floors adds nothing to the design. it would be significantly better without it.
sin|ill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
amherst, black rock, buffalo, cheektowaga, cobblestone, delaware ave., delaware park, depew, east aurora, east side, elmwood, inner harbor, kensington, lackawanna, lancaster, main st., niagara square, outer harbor, polonia, south side, south towns, the tonawandas, west side, williamsville