Uganda Cranes Managerial spot now vacant - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Uganda

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
u.g boy

Likes (Received): 449

Uganda Cranes Managerial spot now vacant

Dossena eyes vacant Cranes job
Publish Date: Apr 09, 2013

Dossena in his National Jersey
By Fred Kaweesi

FORMER Italian midfielder Giuseppe Dossena has reportedly shown interest in the vacant Cranes coaching seat.

Dossena is currently the consulante of the Italian national team.

He assumed the seat after a two-year stint with Ethiopian club St George.

The 55-year-old has previously managed Ghana and was Cesare Maldini’s assistant coach during Paraguay’s outing at the 2002 World Cup.

“He is a very close friend and actually is a commentator of the Italian Broadcasting TV for Football. He knows African Football very well and some Ugandan players like Isaac Isinde because he coached them at St George in Addis Ababa,” a source that preferred anonymity told New Vision Sport on Monday.

He has also previously worked as an analyst for Italian public broadcasting company RAI.

Dossena holds a network of contacts around Europe that would among other developments broker transfers of promising Ugandan players to the Italian Serie A.

Uganda Cranes vacant post attract Dossena

Following the sacking of Uganda Cranes head coach Bobby Williamson, former Italian midfielder Giuseppe Dossena has shown interest with the plum position. Dossena is currently the consulante of the Italian national team.

He assumed the seat after a two-year stint with Ethiopian club St George. The 55-year-old has previously managed Ghana and was Cesare Maldini’s assistant coach during Paraguay’s outing at the 2002 World Cup.

“He is a very close friend and actually is a commentator of the Italian Broadcasting TV for Football. He knows African Football very well and some Ugandan players like Isaac Isinde because he coached them at St George in Addis Ababa,” a source disclosed to Uganda’s New Vision Daily..

He has also previously worked as an analyst for Italian public broadcasting company RAI.

Dossena holds a network of contacts around Europe that would among other developments broker transfers of promising Ugandan players to the Italian Serie A.

However, Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) is yet to disclose candidates who have applied for the plum position.

Former Namibia Coach Saintfiet interested in Cranes job
10 Apr 2013 Written by Ismael Kiyonga

Former Namibia Coach Tom Saintfiet has made his intentions of taking over the vacant Cranes job after he made it clear he want to replace the sacked Bobby Williamson. Saintfiet who also had stints as Ethiopia Coach and Yanga FC told Supersport.com;

“My representative has spoken to the Fufa leadership, headed by Mr Mulindwa who is a gentleman that wants what is best for his country, and I shall be seeking an appointment to see him very soon, as I believe that we share a common vision – to see Uganda in Brazil in 2014, and in Morocco for the Afcon the very next year”.

Saintfiet further hinted that he has followed Ugandan football for the previous years and believes the country has players with the potential to achieve more in football.

“I have followed the Ugandan game for years. It is one of the most exciting teams in the region and the players have so much potential”, he said.

“When I was coaching Ethiopia, I saw them play Cecafa games, and when I was coach of Yanga SC in Tanzania, I had one of their players (Hamis Kiiza) in my team, who was really good. Together with him, we played and won the Cecafa Clubs Cup last year,”

Saintfiet, who was for two and a half years, national coach of Namibia, and has had stints as coach of Ethiopia and Yemen believes he has what it takes to lead the Cranes to unlikely glory. The 40 year old lamented that Uganda has not been able to make it to major competitions in recent years, saying they have just been “unlucky”.

“But now is the time to take them to the next level,” he said. “They can do it, and I want to help them. The Cranes are only three points behind the group leaders in the World Cup qualifying, and if we can win the two home games against Liberia and Angola in June, it will change the dynamics of the group,” he concluded.

Who is Tom Saintfiet?

Saintfiet is a Belgian Tactician born 27th, March 1973 in Mol Belgium. He played as a midfielder in his career between 1983 and 1997 when he joined coaching at 24. He holds the record for the youngest Coach ever in Belgium Football.

He has coached in several countries including Belgium, Qatar, Namibia, Ethiopia, Yemen, Tanzania, Faroe Islands and Zimbabwe.

He holds a UEFA Pro Licence obtained in 2000

He won the 2012 Cecafa Kagame Cup with Yanga SC in Tanzania.

Saintfiet applies for Cranes job
by Collins Okinyo 10 April 2013, 10:10

Belgian tactician Tom Saintfiet has thrown his name in the hat for the vacant job of Uganda’s national team coach.
The position was deemed vacant following the notice of termination of contract that the Federation of Ugandan Football Associations served Scotsman Bobby Williamson.

Saintfiet, who was for two and a half years, national coach of Namibia, and has had stints as coach of Ethiopia and Yemen believes he has what it takes to lead the Cranes to unlikely glory.
“I have followed the Ugandan game for years. It is one of the most exciting teams in the region and the players have so much potential”, he said.

“When I was coaching Ethiopia, I saw them play Cecafa games, and when I was coach of Yanga SC in Tanzania, I had one of their players in my team, who was really good. Together with him, we played and won the Cecafa Clubs Cup last year,” Sainfiet told superport.com.

Saintfiet, 40, lamented that Uganda has not been able to make it to major competitions in recent years, saying they have just been “unlucky”.

“But now is the time to take them to the next level,”, he said. “They can do it, and I want to help them. Uganda is only three points behind the group leaders in the World Cup qualifying, and if we can win the two home games against Liberia and Angola in June, it will change the dynamics of the group,” he added.

“My representative has spoken to the Fufa leadership, headed by Mr Mulindwa who is a gentleman that wants what is best for his country, and I shall be seeking an appointment to see him very soon, as I believe that we share a common vision – to see Uganda in Brazil in 2014, and in Morocco for the Afcon the very next year”, he concluded.

Saintfiet holds the highest coaching licence in football, the Uefa Pro Licence, and has 17 years coaching experience despite his relative young age. He was appointed Technical Director of Nigeria last year before political in-fighting put paid to that appointment.

Saintfiet eyes Uganda Cranes job

By MTNFootball.com
Wednesday Apr 10, 12:29 +0200

Tom Saintfiet Ex-Namibia, Ethiopia and Yemen coach Tom Saintfiet has applied for the vacant Uganda Cranes Coaching job. The Belgian told MTNFootball.com that he applied for the job because he thinks Uganda has the potential and he can take them to the next level.

The position was deemed vacant following the sacking of Scotsman Robert ‘Bobby’ Williamson on April 8 by the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA). “I have followed the Ugandan game for years. It is one of the most exciting teams in the region and the players have so much potential,” Saintfiet explained.

“When I was coaching Ethiopia, I saw them play during the Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup, and when I was coach of Yanga SC in Tanzania, I had one of their players in my team, who was really good. Together with him, we played and won the Cecafa Club Championship Cup last year.”

The 40-year old Saintfiet who was for two-and-a-half years Namibia coach believes he has what it takes to lead the Cranes to unlikely glory. He quit his job as Yemen Coach last month after reported misunderstandings with the Yemen FA.

Saintfiet took up the Yemen post after his earlier appointment as Nigeria Football Association technical director was terminated earlier in 2012 barely three months into his appointment.

“My representative has spoken to the Uganda FA leadership, and I shall be seeking an appointment to see the FA President very soon, as I believe that we share a common vision – to see Uganda in Brazil in 2014, and in Morocco for the AFCON the very next year,” he said. Saintfiet, who has also coached Tanzania giants Young Afrcans, holds a UEFA Pro Licence, and has 17 years coaching experience despite his relative young age.

When contacted about Saintfiet’s application, the FA’s Head of Communication, Rogers Mulindwa was elusive and simply said they cannot comment at this moment.

Zambia’s Coach Herve Renard and ex-Italian midfielder Guiseppe Dossena are reportedly other targets for the Ugandan FA as they seek a Coach who can take the team to the next level.

Last edited by u.g boy; April 10th, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
u.g boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2
u.g boy

Belgian targets vacant Cranes job
Publish Date: Apr 11, 2013

Saintfiet claims Cranes have just been “unlucky” not to qualify for major tournaments.

By James Bakama

A Belgian tactician Tom Saintfiet is the latest in the growing list people who have shown interest in coaching the Cranes.

The job fell vacant early this week when Scotsman Bobby Williamson was sacked by local soccer governing body FUFA.

Saintfiet, who was for two and a half years, national coach of Namibia, and has had stints as coach of Ethiopia and Yemen, believes he has what it takes to lead the Cranes to glory.

“I have followed the Ugandan game for years. It is one of the most exciting teams in the region and the players have so much potential,” said Saintfiet.

“When I was coaching Ethiopia, I saw them play CECAFA games, and when I was coach of Yanga SC in Tanzania, I had one of their players Hamis Kiiza in my team. He was really good. Together with him, we played and won the CECAFA Clubs Cup last year”.

The 40 year old tactician laments that Uganda has not been able to make it to major competitions in recent years, saying they have just been “unlucky”.

Highest coaching license

He holds the highest coaching license in football, the UEFA Pro Licence, and has 17 years coaching experience despite his rela-tive young age.

He was appointed Technical Director in Nigeria last year before political in-fighting put paid to that appointment.

Saintfiet is the second European to show interest in the Cranes job.

Italian Giusseppe Dossena reportedly also wants the job. Dossenna, 55 has previously managed Ghana and was Cesare Maldini’s assistant coach during Paraguay’s outing at the 2002 World Cup.

He is conversant with African football. He even knows some Ugandan players like Isaac Isinde, whom he coached at St George in Ethiopia.

FUFA vice president (technical) Livingstone Kyambadde said they would critically study the applicants’ CVs before coming up with a choice.

“What I can assure you is that the replacement will be much better than Bobby,” the official remarked.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #3
u.g boy

Renard too expensive

Herve Renard (C) trains his players.

By Andrew Mwanguhya

Posted Thursday, April 11 2013 at 01:00
IN SUMMARY

However, the Zambia coach and Rwanda’s Micho have distanced themselves from the Cranes job.

SHARE THIS STORY

inShare
One of Fufa’s cushions in the wave of criticisms following Bobby Williamson’s sacking has been blaming government for not funding the national team.

Most observers have unanimously argued that while Bobby had failed in meeting his contractual obligations, the entire Fufa setting is no saints either, and that the Scotsman has only been a sacrificial lamb in a state of non-existent structures.

The Scot had spent close to five years in the job, winning four Cecafa titles but the Achilles heel came with three failed Nations Cup qualifying campaigns.

Fufa technical committee chairperson Livingstone Kyambadde on Tuesday, while absolving his team of blame, told the Daily Monitor they would be better placed to communicate developments pertaining to the new Cranes coach of end this month but that has not stopped the speculation.

Among the big names rumoured in local press for the vacant job include Zambia coach Herve Renard and Rwanda’s Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojević. The others are Italian Dario Bonetti, who has previously managed Ghana and Ethiopian club St George, with the latest man to express interest being Belgian Tom Saintfiet, the former Namibia coach.

Local coaches that have expressed interest include former assistants to Bobby, Jackson Mayanja and Sam Ssimbwa. But with Kyambadde saying that Fufa would want someone better than Bobby, who earned a reported $12,000 (Shs30m) monthly salary, and at the same time claiming they lack money to pay the best coach, it remains to be seen whether the federation can afford the dropped names.

Compare Bobby’s salary with Renard’s, for example, whose latest monthly pay is $100,000 (Shs258m) while Bonetti, who the Frenchman succeeded, was earning a reported $30,000 (Shs77m). Micho himself is said to earn way above $10,000 with Rwanda.

“We try to work within what we have,” Kyambadde said, “You all know the federation has no money. We need support from government.”
Renard and Micho have, however, come out to deny reports linking them to the Cranes job.

“But seriously I do not know anything about this story,” Renard told MTNFootball.com.

Micho, currently in Istanbul, Turkey, also dismissed the reports. ““He has asked me to tell the paper that wrote the allegations to remove his name from the list,” fellow Serb and Sports Club Victoria University boss Simo Dubajic said yesterday.

Another Serbian for Cranes

Kavazovic claims he has a good knowledge of Ugandan players including left back Godfrey Walusimbi. COURTESY PHOTO

By MARK KIRUMIRA

Posted Friday, April 12 2013 at 01:00
IN SUMMARY

Italian Dario Bonetti and Belgian Tom Sainfeit are the other candidates for the job.

With barely a week before even Bobby Williamson comes to terms that he no longer has rights to pull strings at the Cranes, three foreign coaches have expressed interest in taking up the vacant position, the latest being Serbian Nikola Kavazovic.

The others reportedly are Italian Dario Bonetti and a Belgian Tom Sainfeit.

The Federation of Uganda Football Associations (Fufa) fired Williamson on Monday following his failure to lead the Cranes to the Africa Cup of Nations, as he was mandated to do.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily Monitor yesterday, Kavazovic said he is no stranger to Ugandan football, expressing his belief in the talent that the country possesses.

“I know very well Ugandan players like [Emmanuel] Okwi, [Robert] Ssentongo, [Andy] Mwesigwa, [Baba] Kizito, [Joseph] Ochaya, [Moses] Oloya, [Godfrey] Walusimbi,” Kavazovic, who has 16 years of coaching experience, said on phone from his Asian base.

He added: “And I think this squad has potential to qualify for bigger tournaments in future. My opinion about quality and attitude of Ugandan players is very high and It will be my pleasure to work with them.”

Kovazovic, 37, says his philosophy is to play attacking football, made of high pressure and possession, having been an attacking midfielder in his playing days. “When my player loses the ball they must immediately try to repossess it,” he said.

He holds a Uefa “B” in Serbia, Uefa “A” in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and enrolled Uefa “Pro” coaching licences.

He currently coaches the Tajikistan national team and league champions FC Istiklol and he was the third best Serbian coach for 2012.

Fufa have said the next coach will certainly be better than Bobby, but it is not yet clear when he will be named. Cranes next match is against Liberia in the 2014 Fifa World Cup qualifiers on June 8 at Namboole stadium.

ABOUT KAVAZOVIC

He Started his coaching career in 1997 at Bask, a Serbian Premier League side. He was head coach of all youth academy squads, and coach of senior team. Between 2000 and 2003, he was director of BASK youth academy. As a Premier league coach, he was assistant scout and consultant of former Bayer Leverkusen coach Dragoslav Stepanovic in FK Cukaricki. Kavazovic is a Belgrade law school graduate. Besides football, Nikola likes tennis and movies. He has attended coaching lecturers from Sinisa Mihajlovic, Marcelo Lippi, Roberto Mancini, Alberto Zaccheroni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #4
u.g boy

Serbian Coach Nikola Kavazovic also confirms interest in Cranes job
12 Apr 2013 Written by Ismael Kiyonga

Serbian Coach Nikola Kavazovic has joined the fray for people interested in replacing sacked Cranes boss Bobby Williamson.

Despite the Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) confirming that they have not yet set a date for starting to receive applications for interested personnel, the list of interested coaches continues to grow and many have filed their applications.

“We expect the number to grow by next week though we are yet to advertise the job”, Fufa CEO Edgar Watson told Kawowo Sports.

Little known Kavazovic, who holds a UEFA B coaching license in Serbia and a UEFA A certificate in Bosnia and Herzegovina, thinks he can also take Uganda to the next level if given the chance.

“I think Uganda’s squad has potential to qualify for bigger tournaments in future. I know some of the players well enough and think I can work with them for better results,” said the Serbian.

Kavazovic, who currently handles the Tajikistan national team and League Champions FC Istiklol, said he wants to try his luck in Africa because of the continents abundant talent.

Kavazovic wants to follow in the footsteps of former Serbian Coaches Dragon Popadic and Mitcho Sredojevich who had successful stints at Express FC and SC Villa in the 1990s and 2000s respectively.

Former Namibia Coach Tom Saintfiet, ex-Italian midfielder Giuseppe Dossena and former Cranes assistant Coach Sam Ssimbwa have also shown interest.

Swedish Roger Palmgren joins fray for Cranes job
12 Apr 2013 Written by Ismael Kiyonga

Former Sierra Leon and Rwanda Coach Roger Palmgren becomes the latest candidate to show interest in filling the vacant Uganda Cranes job his agent Rikard Elm has confirmed.

"Mr. Palmgren is very keen to develop the Ugandan national team with the goal of taking them to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, the country has had a bad start but Mr. Palmgren wants to lift the team so that citizens feel proud of The Cranes", Rikard Elm agent of Palgren told Kawowo Sports in an exclusive interview from his base in Stockholm.

The 50 year old Swedish Coach joins a growing list of coaches that are interested in managing the Cranes following the sacking of Bobby Williamson by the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) on Monday, April 8th.

Belgian Tom Saintfiet, ex-Italian midfielder Giuseppe Dossena, Serbian Nikola Kavazovic, ex-Cranes assistant Sam Ssimbwa and Jackson Mayanja have already shown their intent to replace the Scot.

Palmgren is most remembered for guiding little known Sierra Leon to the finals of Africa Nations Cup in 1996 in South Africa. Then, he worked as both Head Coach and technical director of the team. Besides, he also won the Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup with Rwanda’s Amavubi in 2004

He also had stints in DR Congo as technical director, Nigeria with Kwara United and in South Africa where he coached Thanda Royal Zulu and Amazulu FC which he guided to the 2012 Nedbank Cup runners up.

Palmgren holds a UEFA Pro 5 Coaching licence, advanced level in Dutch coursing course and is also a coaching instructor with the Swedish FA.

Last edited by u.g boy; April 14th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #5
u.g boy

Palmgren eyes Cranes job

Roger Palmgren wants to coach Uganda
By MTNFootball.com
Saturday Apr 13, 22:38 +0200

Roger Palmgren wants to coach Uganda Swedish-born coach Roger Palmgren has expressed interest in taking up the vacant Uganda Cranes job.

The position fell vacant on April 8 after the Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) sacked Robert ‘Bobby’ Williamson after four years in-charge.

The former Thanda Royal Zulu and Amazulu FC in South Africa including Sierra Leone and Rwanda, confirmed through his agent, Rikard Elm, that he is interested in the Uganda job.

"Mr. Palmgren is very keen to develop the Ugandan national team with the goal of taking them to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The country has had a bad start but Palmgren wants to lift the team," Elm said.

The 50-year-old Swede joins a growing list of Cranes candidates who include Tom Saintfiet, ex-Italian midfielder Giuseppe Dossena, Serbian Nikola Kavazovic and former Cranes assistant Coach Sam Ssimbwa.

Zambia Coach Herve Renard and Rwanda’s Milutin Sredejovic are reportedly the other targets for the Ugandan FA.

Palmgren, who holds a UEFA Pro 5 coaching licence and advanced level Dutch coaching course, is also a coaching instructor with the Swedish FA.

He guided Sierra Leone to the 1996 Africa Nations Cup in South Africa and also won the 2004 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup trophy with Rwanda.

Palmgren also had stints in DR Congo as technical director and in Nigeria with Kwara United.
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
u.g boy

Ex-Brazil coach interested in Cranes job
Publish Date: Apr 14, 2013

Dunga captained Brazil to the World Cup title in 1994. Can FUFA afford him? PHOTO/AFP/Getty Images
newvision
By Fred Kaweesi

Part of the list of candidates

Guiseppe Dossena (Italy)
Kavazovic Nikola (Serbian)
Tom Saintfiet (Belgian)
Raoul Savoy (Spain)
Tomislav Obradovic (Croatia)
Momcilo Medic (Serbia)
Stewart Hall (English)
Vahid Halilhodzic (Algeria)
Carlos Dunga (Brazil)

Cranes’ vacant coaching seat has continued to gather interest from a number of several high-profile managers around the world, with the latest attraction expressed by Carlos Dunga.

As of Saturday, former Brazil coach was among the list of over 20 candidates to have shown interest in assuming the top job that fell vacant following the exit of Scot Bobby Williamson on Monday.

The others include Bosnian Vahid Halilhodzic (inset, right), who managed Ivory Coast during the 2010 World Cup tournament in South Africa. The consulate of the Italian national team believes his knowledge of African football will enable him prevail over the other candidates.

The 55-year-old has previously managed Ghana and was Cesare Maldini’s assistant coach during Paraguay’s outing at the 2002 World Cup.

With more applications expected to flock in, soccer governing body FUFA will have to decide whether to consider a low-profile coach that will grow with the team or opt for established figures in the mould of Dunga.

Dunga is still the head coach at Brazilian club International but the mouth-watering opportunity of managing a national team -as promising as Cranes -is one that he might have found tempting.

“To work with me, you have to be committed, you have to have the will to win,” Dunga told reporters after being presented by International last year.

Dunga managed Brazil between 2006 and 2010.

He succeeded Carlos Alberto Parreira after the 2006 World Cup and won the Copa America one year later, followed by the Confederations Cup in 2009.

Under his leadership, Brazil developed a physical, counter-attacking-based game which was unpopular with many fans and their World Cup campaign ended with a 2-1 quarter-final defeat by the Netherlands.

As a player, Dunga was a feisty, defensive midfielder with a spiky hair cut through his club career stints at Corinthians, Vasco da Gama and Santos (Brazil) Pisa, Fiorentina and Pescara (Italy) and Stuttgart in Germany and Japan’s Jubilo Iwata.

Dunga captained Brazil to the World Cup title in 1994 and inspired them to second place four years later in France.

Can FUFA afford Dunga?

Ideally, FUFA will look to Dunga as the biggest prospect but might be limited by finances to facilitate him, considering the fact that FUFA had previously struggled to facilitate Williamson’s reported sh30m-a-month wages, sh3m bonuses and sh4m housing allowance through his final three years.

The bottom line is that FUFA will need government support if any high-profile coach is to be hired for the vacant seart.

There are also a number of local coaches that have shown interest in the job.

Cranes are expected to regroup later this month in preparation for their three 2014 World Cup qualifying matches against Liberia, Angola and Senegal.

They will also face Tanzania in a two-leg Africa Nations Championship playoff in July.
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
u.g boy

Cranes Coach: Tajikistan coach eyes Cranes
Sunday, 14 April 2013 17:31
[IMG]http://www.*****************/media/k2/items/cache/bb9b250443dc34308e298da5c5767374_M.jpg[/IMG]
Kavazovic in action at the Asia Cup final

Tajikistan head coach Kavazovic Nikola believes that he can turn around Uganda Cranes fortunes of not qualifying for the Africa Cup of Nations. Kavazovic is one of the over ten coaches that have applied to replace Bobby Williamson, who was given an intention to terminate his contract.

The 36-year-old Serbian coach, who played for OFK Belgrade (1987-1993) believes that his coaching experience with FC Istiklol and has won The Tajikistan Super Cup, AFC Asian Presidents Cup 2012 and was also part of the Final of Tajikistan Cup 2012, will help build Uganda’s game.

He will however has to fight the challenge of other coaches that include Guiseppe Dossenna (Italy), Tom Sainfiet (Belgian), Raoul Savoy (Spain), Tmislav Obradovic (Croatia), Stewart Hall (English) Vahid Halihodzic (Algeria), Carlos Ddunga (Brazil), and fellow countryman Mamcilo Medic.

Information says that the national soccer federation is looking at having a local coach handle the national team for the next three months, if Bobby Williamson insists on finishing the three months that are mandatory to his contract.

However, if Bobby agrees to end his contract early and be paid his three-months due, then the entire backroom staff will have to change as Uganda moves to get new people with new ideas. Also the technical committee will have to change to suit the new line.

The federation is looking at seeking financial help from government to help them foot the bill of the new coach and his assistant, if a new working arrangement can go through.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8
u.g boy

Micho would consider Cranes job

Coach Micho (L) sits in the dugout during during Rwanda’s Afcon qualifier against Nigeria last year at Amahoro Stadium. PHOTO BY ABDU WASIKE

By ANDREW MWANGUHYA

Posted Monday, April 15 2013 at 01:00
IN SUMMARY

The former SC Villa coach insists he is still contracted to Rwanda but very close sources to the Serb tell us the 43-year-old is very much open to a return to what he calls his football home.

The vacant Cranes job has seen a myriad of coaches far and wide throw their weights in.

From locals to a whole cast of foreigners, possible names to replace Bobby Williamson, who was sacked a week ago, have been dropped. A Belgian here, an Italian there, a Serbian next door, name them.
But just last week, former SC Villa coach, now Rwanda’s, Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevich, denied he had held talks with Fufa regarding the Cranes role.

Yet the latest is that the Serb, who remains contracted to Rwanda until this October, is strongly considering the Cranes prospect.

“The prospect interests him and he sees Uganda as a brilliant avenue to continue improving,” a very trusted and close source to the 43-year-old, who requested not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter, disclosed to us.

“Micho is so passionate about youth structures and wants to work on a big project that will build players for not only taking Uganda to Africa Cup as a one-off but to stay there.

“He knows the talent in Uganda is unrivalled in the region and wants to help it. He is a results man and works well with clubs even as a national team coach.”

But when contacted on phone from Dubai where he is on a short holiday until tomorrow, Micho, who earns just above $20,000 (Shs52m) monthly with Rwanda, declined to discuss the matter.

“Uganda will always be my football home but my friend I’m a Rwanda coach and can only discuss Rwanda,” he said, “I respect my people at the Rwanda federation and I’m focused on my job.”

In hindsight, Micho - an independent man who appreciates working under minimal interference from authorities - is one of the several candidates that can authoritatively discuss Uganda’s challenges and opportunities.

In his two-and-a-half year stint as Villa coach (2002-2004), he won two league titles, one Uganda Cup and a Cecafa Club gong.

CREDIT

He is credited for preparing several ex-Villa players for the paid ranks including Nestroy Kizito, Posnet Omony, Phillip Ssozi, Timothy Batabaire and Dennis Onyango, who formed the Cranes crust last decade.

Micho may not have won anything with Rwanda on the continent, but boasts a vast experience in African football.

He coached at Orlando Pirates (South Africa), St George (Ethiopia), Yanga (Tanzania), as well as reached two semifinals of Caf Confederation Cup 2010 and Caf Champions League 2011 with Sudan’s Al Hilal.

Uganda needs foreign coach - Onyango

By MTNFootball.com
Monday Apr 15, 10:34 +0200

Dennis Onyango says the Cranes need a foreign coach Mamelodi Sundowns goalkeeper Dennis Onyango says the Cranes need a foreign coach to help attain their international ambitions.

The Cranes first choice goalkeeper, who will miss Uganda’s next 2014 World Cup qualifier against Liberia in June because of suspension after accruing two yellow cards, told MTNFootball.com that a foreign coach is the only solution for Uganda football going forward.

The Cranes job fell vacant on April 8 after the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) sacked Scotsman Robert ‘Bobby’ Williamson.

Onyango said although there are coaches in Uganda who are good enough to handle the team, they cannot cope with the politics and the fact that some senior players cannot not give them all the respect.

“Most of the senior players know the strengths and weaknesses of the local coaches and therefore appointing a local coach to handle the national team would create more problems. We need a foreign coach who is totally new, with new ideas and philosophy,” said Onyango who has been the Cranes first choice goalkeeper for over five years now.

Although several foreign coaches are targeting the Cranes job, sources in the FA have said a local coach could be handled the job on temporary basis to see the team through the 2014 World Cup qualifiers and the CHAN qualifiers where they play Tanzania in the first round.

The local coaches who are in-line for the jobs include the two assistants who worked with Williamson Jackson Mayanja, Fred Kajoba, Sam Timbe and former Sofapaka in Kenya and Ugandan club SC Victoria trainer Sam Ssimbwa.

The foreign coaches who have their eyes on the Cranes job include; Nikola Kavazovic, Tom Sainfeit, Giuseppe Dossena and Roger Palmgren.

The FA is however also targeting Zambian coach Herve Renard and Rwanda’s Milutin Sredejovic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement