NEWS Thread - Page 36 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > KiwiScrapers > Local Forums > Hamilton

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM   #701
South Tower

Likes (Received): 35

https://www.hamiltonairport.co.nz/co...d-for-airport/
South Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2019, 10:03 PM   #702
Alexjc

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Tower View Post
As I mentioned elsewhere...Welcome to the Soviet Union is the first impression when you step outside...Then again inside isn't all that appealing with a cafe/sports bar blaring out American and European sports on big screens with minimal quiet areas for passengers who have to mingle with wellwishers. Just awful for those who don't have lounge access.

A do up well overdue.
Alexjc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #703
South Tower

This could be interesting https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...e-of-the-river
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:48 AM   #704
DRoc

Likes (Received): 17

Pretty much a rehash of a story from a couple of months ago but good to see it still on the boards

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...bd-development
DRoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:50 AM   #705
Alexjc

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoc View Post
Pretty much a rehash of a story from a couple of months ago but good to see it still on the boards

Comes on the back of news that Centre Place tower is on the market again.
Alexjc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 03:41 AM   #706
South Tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTron View Post
CentrePlace North - To Be Sold?

LINK

I'm hoping this happens quickly. KIPT have taken their eye of the ball on all developments except Sylvia Park. I get this (i.e. $$$), but you would think with the amount of money they have been spending on Sylvia Park they would actually have a good product there. Personally I think Sylvia Park is one of the least interesting malls I have visited in NZ/Australia (plus that office tower they just put up is nothing short of hideous! Makes Spark's datacentre in Hamilton look like an architectural gem).

It's a problem when these corporate owners are not invested in regional assets, i.e. SkyCity's disproportionate spend in Akl vs everywhere else (by the way this is changing soon, I listened to their conference call in February and they said that in around 18 months (from Feb 2019) they will be needing to access significant capital due to their hotel builds in Hamilton and Queenstown. At the time of the conference call they were still being planned out, so money wouldn't be needed until 12-18 months time).

Back to CentrePlace, the question for me is, who will buy it. If it's an investment trust, not a lot will change, but if its a proper property investor, I could see significant value being added to the site. It's such a brilliant site. Personally I think it (and CentrePlace South) are excellent, always packed during the weekdays and foodcourts are full at lunchtimes. They just need to keep on growing it, it has an underdeveloped second storey that could easily be merged with a Tainui development with their empty site next door. Could be a great outcome with a landlord that actually cares.
Thanks for your insight Tron. Good to hear about the hotel being in the pipeline.
Old June 24th, 2019, 10:49 AM   #707
cbm.

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:

At least they wrote it up sensibly this time. Last time the story was all jumbled up between this proposal and something happening out at Te Rapa.

South Tower, TheTron liked this post
cbm. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:16 AM   #708
cbm.

The Riverbanks building is starting to look great as it emerges from the scaffolding.

South Tower, TheTron liked this post
Old July 5th, 2019, 09:16 AM   #709
DRoc

Likes (Received): 17

Minor update on the WIntech / Council site on Ward Street.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...ith-block-sale

badbehaviour, TheTron liked this post
DRoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:15 AM   #710
TheTron

Likes (Received): 174

Does anyone know what is being built here:

More shops? Chemist Warehouse? Supermarket?
TheTron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:20 AM   #711
TheTron

Quote:
Minor update on the WIntech / Council site on Ward Street.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...ith-block-sale
This is a really interesting site. The current ownership will most likely mean that the new owner will have to submit a proposal to develop before it is approved for sale. Council (part owner) will want something suitable.

This site could be great, a level of shops on ground floor, several levels of parking above, and then apartments for students above that? Its half the length of the street so could offer a number of mid rises on it.

A long time ago I saw Council's proposal for this street (on some proposal document online) and Ward St had been landscaped similar to Hood St. With WRC, Opus next door, Genesis nearby, this area could be popular.
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:24 AM   #712
TheTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm. View Post
The Riverbanks building is starting to look great as it emerges from the scaffolding.
This building looks great in person. Impressive redevelopment.

Have people seen that Mövenpick are moving in nearby to this site. That tenancy that has been empty forever next to LeGrand (used to be a nightclub). Banh Mi's owner has also leased the shop opposite Banh Mi on VoTR, so we will see another cafe go in there hopefully.

A lot of activity in this area at the moment. The Days Inn retail level below is nearing completion, we might see some new restaurants in those (hopefully).
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:24 AM   #713
TheTron

Quote:
At least they wrote it up sensibly this time. Last time the story was all jumbled up between this proposal and something happening out at Te Rapa.

Cranes up on this one next year? Can always dream. This is going to be very cool, and something new for Hamilton.
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:26 AM   #714
TheTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjc View Post
Comes on the back of news that Centre Place tower is on the market again.
Reclad in glass? Now that would make this tower modern! Lets hope someone with vision (and money) buys this and renovates it to A grade.
Old July 8th, 2019, 07:27 AM   #715
TheTron

Spark's DataCentre has nearly finished its reclad on one side. It's a bit hard to see but it looks like they have plaster the whole building and painted it grey? Well if nothing else it wont be as ugly as they old stone rendering!
Old July 9th, 2019, 08:21 AM   #716
cbm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTron View Post
Spark's DataCentre has nearly finished its reclad on one side. It's a bit hard to see but it looks like they have plaster the whole building and painted it grey? Well if nothing else it wont be as ugly as they old stone rendering!
I had a close look today. The pebbles are still there, but underneath the plaster layer. The pebbles must have proven impossible to remove so they filled over the top. The current colour looks like an undercoat, hopefully. There might still be a decorative surface to go on too. They are starting on the South side as well now.
Old July 9th, 2019, 08:58 AM   #717
TheTron

Quote:
I had a close look today. The pebbles are still there, but underneath the plaster layer. The pebbles must have proven impossible to remove so they filled over the top. The current colour looks like an undercoat, hopefully. There might still be a decorative surface to go on too. They are starting on the South side as well now.

I’m not sure it is. The top aluminium panels (at top of building) are silver, so maybe they have matched it? We will see! Wonder if it will make the building look better...

South Tower liked this post
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:53 AM   #718
TheTron

K Mart CBD Construction Update

I think this one is opening in the next few weeks? Once opened it will mark the start of construction for the new Waikato Regional Offices next door. This will be a huge new build which is going to shift a lot of employees from Hamilton East to the CBD (not sure how many, maybe 600-800?). The old Hamilton East site is to be converted into apartments which should be sell well given the location (a ton of cafes and restaurants next door) and the apartments will overlook the river.

South Tower, badbehaviour, cbm. liked this post
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:46 AM   #719
ReganR

Likes (Received): 31

286 Victoria

Another shot showing the new level and aluminium facade. Looking good!

286 Victoria by ReganR, on Flickr

I need to get better at uploading photos... take plenty with good intentions but never find the time to upload.

South Tower, TheTron, cbm. liked this post
ReganR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:23 PM   #720
TheTron

Hills Village - Apartment Buildings Hamilton East

Interesting twist to this development. Stark are planning more than they originally proposed. In addition to a repurposing of the Hills Lab building (currently underway, new windows going in now) they are also planning:
  • on another 4(?) storey apartment building between Hills Lab and Deloittes called the ANZAC apartments (new to development?)
  • a new 3(?) storey commercial building on Grey St (new to development?)
  • 3 storey townhouses in between it all (already know)

What I can't tell is if they are going to take the Mavis site as well? The render sort of indicates it, but it isn't perfectly clear.

(includes shading estimates by me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement