Chennai | Metro | சென்னை மெட்ரோ ரயில் - Page 1290 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2020, 06:41 AM   #25781
vinodhkumar

Likes (Received): 1157

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73208688.cms

CMRL scouts for general consultant to begin ‘orbital corridor’ work

MyNation, karkal liked this post
vinodhkumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2020, 05:00 PM   #25782
dhans

Likes (Received): 135

I am quite happy that one of the line that I proposed earlier in this forum for possible Phase 3 routes, has been taken up for rail trasit.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...ostcount=23767

Earlier I have proposed a line from Tambaram to V.house (M.Beach) via Velachery. I think this route has much potential to be a seperate Metro line rather than light rail. Hope they will learn that in the feasibility study.

Since Tambaram to Velachery can be built in the median section (except Medavakkam area) the whole stretch can be elevated and should not cost much compared to UG sections. They could have gone for normal Metro.

Google Map Route design link

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNation View Post
To address increasing traffic congestion on the Tambaram-Velachery corridor, the Tamil Nadu government will establish a rail-based transit system for a total of 15.5 km and Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) will prepare the Detailed Feasibility and Project Report, Governor Banwarilal Purohit said on Monday.

In his address in the Legislative Assembly, he said that Phase-I of the Chennai Metro Rail (45 km), was fully operational and the Phase-I extension up to Thiruvottiyur/Wimco Nagar would be completed by mid-2020. The government has already approved the implementation of three more Chennai Metro Rail corridors in Phase-II with a total length of 118.9 km, at an estimated cost of ₹69,180 crore.

“I urge the Centre to accord early approval for their participation in the Phase-II project on the 50:50 equity sharing model adopted for Phase-I,” the Governor said. Based on a feasibility study, the State government has decided to extend the Metro Rail Corridor by 15.3 km from Chennai Airport to Kilambakkam, where a new mofussil bus stand was coming up.

The Tamil Nadu government has also proposed to enter into a ‘Chennai City Partnership’ as a unique model of development co-operation with the World Bank with a goal to integrate the multiple transportation modes in Chennai and enable the seamless mobility of people in the city.

Source : https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le30493027.ece

Last edited by dhans; January 13th, 2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added link
dhans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 05:24 PM   #25783
jayaraj100
Jayaraj100

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhans View Post
I am quite happy that one of the line that I proposed earlier in this forum for possible Phase 3 routes, has been taken up for rail trasit.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showp...ostcount=23767

Earlier I have proposed a line from Tambaram to V.house (M.Beach) via Velachery. I think this route has much potential to be a seperate Metro line rather than light rail. Hope they will learn that in the feasibility study.

Since Tambaram to Velachery can be built in the median section (except Medavakkam area) the whole stretch can be elevated and should not cost much compared to UG sections. They could have gone for normal Metro.

Google Map Route design link

21G is one of the highest profit making route (Tambaram to High court via Mylapore and V House), why they will give it to CMRL? MTC bureaucracy prevails
jayaraj100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #25784
Crazyguru94

Likes (Received): 1384

Due to the alignment of all these corridors, one of the important roads, Sardar Vallabhai patel road which includes the IIT, Anna university and the Governor Bungalow may be void of any rail transit forever. The only remote possibility is a LRT between Little mount and the Adyar terminal of phase 2, corridor-5.
Crazyguru94 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:19 AM   #25785
venkatm

Likes (Received): 2885

please spare Sardar Patel road of any overhead monstrosity. We already have an useless flyover near IIT.
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 06:33 AM   #25786
MyNation

Likes (Received): 9392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguru94 View Post
Due to the alignment of all these corridors, one of the important roads, Sardar Vallabhai patel road which includes the IIT, Anna university and the Governor Bungalow may be void of any rail transit forever. The only remote possibility is a LRT between Little mount and the Adyar terminal of phase 2, corridor-5.
I think, barring IIT and Anna univ, this road is not of high importance and there are other important roads with high residential/office population that have got missed out on Phase 2 which I have listed below.

1. Tambaram-Velachery Road

2. Ambattur-Mogappair-Thirumangalam Road

3. Nelson Manickam Road

4. Triplicane High Road
MyNation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:27 AM   #25787
yieldway17

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguru94 View Post

I can understand but I think it’s not a big miss. Bound by Little Mount, Madhya Kailash and Velachery, there are plenty of public transit options to reach nearby and take MTC or other last mile options.
yieldway17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #25788
mr_madras

Likes (Received): 1941

Quote:
I think, barring IIT and Anna univ, this road is not of high importance and there are other important roads with high residential/office population that have got missed out on Phase 2 which I have listed below.

3. Nelson Manickam Road
Ambattur - Mugappair -Thirumangalam -Nelson Manickam Rd, Sterling Rd (Madhavaram - Siruseri line) - Valluvar kotam - GN Chetty rd, Pondy Bazzar - T.Nagar is one of the most busiest corridor for office goers & shoppers through out the day. Currently people heavily depend upon 2 or 4 Wheeler and the Share auto who might have influenced this not happen early.
hope it will be connected in Ph 3.
mr_madras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:27 PM   #25789
Crazyguru94

Likes (Received): 1384

Quote:

1. Tambaram-Velachery Road

3. Nelson Manickam Road

4. Triplicane High Road
Yes, the problem is other closeby lines in all these cases. Inclusion of Anna nagar 2nd avenue in the current line also messed up any connectivity to Mogappair,Ambattur, Avadi. The route of 47 series buses cannot be replicated due to this. On the other end Usman road and Nungambakkam is also touched by Phase-2.
Crazyguru94 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 08:46 PM   #25790
jayaraj100
Jayaraj100

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatm View Post
please spare Sardar Patel road of any overhead monstrosity. We already have an useless flyover near IIT.

Agree. In fact similar to Central Park in NYC, Sardar Patel road should be underground (demolish the flyover). Connect all education institutions , make it pedestrian friendly and make it more green cover. This should include -> race course, raj bhwavan, iit, Anna, cpit, Tharamani poly technique and film institute. It will be one big forest. All roads go underground...

dayalanr liked this post
Old January 15th, 2020, 04:20 PM   #25791
srikant

Likes (Received): 218

This will offer another -- shorter -- connection between the MRTS & Suburban lines.
srikant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 05:11 AM   #25792
Nirmal S.

Likes (Received): 357

Chennai: By year-end, these metro stations will get lawns, lounges, parking lots
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ive_share_tray

Nirmal S. está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 08:07 AM   #25793
PremChn
Prem

Likes (Received): 1923

Now you can park your vehicles at Chennai Central Parking available for passenger use.

Charges:
2 wheeler - Rs10/Hr,
4 wheeler - Rs25/Hr.

Parking fare accepted through CMRL card only.

agandhisurya19, Pritt_Chennai liked this post
PremChn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 09:33 PM   #25794
karkal

Likes (Received): 25931

Chennai: By year-end, these metro stations will get lawns, lounges, parking lots

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst
Old January 19th, 2020, 07:11 AM   #25795
rskarthik2k3

Likes (Received): 3377

Not sure if this was mentioned/discussed in this forum earlier....I am also not sure if this was done much earlier because it has been few months since i crossed that stretch of Anna Salai. 2 days back, found that Nandanam Metro is branded as "Muthoot Group" Nandanam Metro station on the station exterior in Anna Salai...This is done on all the entry/exits and all these structures are wrapped in RED colored vinyl ad posters with Muthoot group name....

Also happened to take the blue line from Central to Guindy and during that trip, i dont remember seeing the branding of the Nandanam station in the platform level or in the announcements....

Not sure what is the deal here?
rskarthik2k3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 10:05 AM   #25796
balakannan_87

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaraj100 View Post
21G is one of the highest profit making route (Tambaram to High court via Mylapore and V House), why they will give it to CMRL? MTC bureaucracy prevails
WHY SAYING LIKE THIS?
balakannan_87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 10:06 AM   #25797
balakannan_87

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatm View Post
dont say its useless, if there is no flyover situation will be more worsen

Pritt_Chennai liked this post
balakannan_87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 07:59 PM   #25798
jayaraj100
Jayaraj100

My point is, MTC and CMRL should NOT compete rather they should Complement... what is not served by MTC should not be the reason for CMRL. Metro should be made primary mode of transportation like any other global city. Transportation by bus should be made as complement as feeder and full service only if metro is not there.
Old January 19th, 2020, 10:35 PM   #25799
yieldway17

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayaraj100 View Post
My point is, MTC and CMRL should NOT compete rather they should Complement... what is not served by MTC should not be the reason for CMRL. Metro should be made primary mode of transportation like any other global city. Transportation by bus should be made as complement as feeder and full service only if metro is not there.

Realistically that won’t happen unless they are managed by a single entity. Most other global cities have integrated transport because there is an integrated agency responsible for all or most public transport services within the city.
yieldway17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 07:00 AM   #25800
venkatm

Likes (Received): 2885

Quote:
Originally Posted by balakannan_87 View Post
dont say its useless, if there is no flyover situation will be more worsen
they should have done LA and built a proper and wider flyover. Pencil thin flyover has not solved the problem

rskarthik2k3 liked this post
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement