Regional Queensland Airport Discussion - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #1
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Likes (Received): 1

Regional Queensland Airport Discussion

Hi, all.

I want to know your opinion on Airports here in Queensland. If you have any problems about airports here in QLD. Put them down on this thread. If you think that a redeveloped airport looks great. put it down and you would get the rest wouldn't ya.

Alright then, Okay, yep, Everything is in order except Mt Saint Helens.

Okay,
Gertzy
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Blend

Likes (Received): 4

Brisbanes 2 airports are awesome.. some of the best in Australia.

Townsvilles is adequete, but last time iw as there there was alot of construction.. (getting off the plane had to walk thru some construction work/tunnels)

I dunno what they were doing..

But tville needs a second level with arms for planes to dock with. Getting off on tarmac isnt too great.

Maroochydoore is pretty modern for a small airport and i thought it was cool.. no need for any upgrades there.
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 1465

Blend, Townsville's terminal now has a mezzanine level with 3 domestic aerobridges and 1 international aerobridge. The mezzanine level has a departure lounge which can hold roughly 300-350 people. There is also a downstairs departure lounge for flights which aren't using aerobridges. There is talk within the next few years about building a multi-story carpark as well as renovating the entrance to the terminal. (I believe that will happen before the carpark) The terminal really does need at least 1 more baggage carosel. (Virgin & Alliance are sharing a carosel currently)
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Blend

Likes (Received): 4

so that was what they were doing when i was up there. good work to them
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Wezza
©

The common user area in Brisbane needs some attention. There is only 1 baggage carosel for both Alliance and Jetstar. I arrived on Friday night just before 2 jetstar flights arrived which were all using the same carosel. Needless to say, it was mayhem! I don't know where they would fit another carosel though.
Old October 6th, 2004, 09:14 AM   #6
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

I'd thought Jetstar would be using the Qantas Terminal as it is a QF Subsidary. Our Terminal in Townsville is great. The only problem now is the Baggage Carosels (As there is only two and Three airlines to use them) and with recently suppassing 1 milllion passengers and extra capacity being put on Townsville by Virgin Blue and Jetstar arriving in mid 2005 will keep a plane or two from docking at an aerobridge. Maybe if Qantas upgraded one flight to a 767, then maybe it could use the Intl Bridge and let the Jetstar, Virgin and Alliance Planes use the Dom Bridges. But however, the new Manager could expand the terminal and add two more aerobridges and another two carosels.
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #7
Wezza
©

Jetstar are actually a seperate airline to Qantas and not a subsidury. They are Qantas owned but they are marketed seperately. Besides, there is not really enough room at the Qantas terminal to accomodate both Qantas and Jetstar. I think expansion of the domestic terminal in Brisbane will be happening sooner rather than later. As far as flights into Townsville go, i agree that some flights by Qantas could be upgraded to 767 equipment as most flights in and out are close to full, especially around the weekends. Maybe it's possible if the rumour that Qantas is going to take on alot more ex British Airways 767's for domestic ops. (They already have 10 ex BA 767's in service)
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM   #8
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2487

There was talk about a year ago that they were going to build a second airport for toowoomba (to the south near westbrook) because the existing airport was too small to land the larger planes, and was unable to extend the runway because suburbs have since grown all round the airport - urban sprawl at its best
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2487

LOL!!!! - from the Chronicle (darling downs newspaper)

Dalby airport rivals Heathrow

THE Dalby aerodrome could be the busiest airport in the world during the Australian Gliding Championships this week.

About 55 competitors will converge on the town from today for the practice days before the competition gets under way on Wednesday. Contest director Ralph Henderson said during the two-week competition, 55 gliders would be launched in an hour from about 11.30am each day. "The Dalby Aerodrome could be the busiest airport in the world for this hour each day of the competition," he said.

The national championships were last held in Dalby in 1994.

Mr Henderson said pilots from Japan, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Italy, Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, Queensland and New South Wales would compete. About 25 of these competed in the State Championships held at Kingaroy last week.

During the championships, glider flights will be available from about 12.30pm to 2.30pm each day for spectators.

The opening ceremony will be held at Jimbour from 6.30pm to-morrow night.
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Or at least start an International Flight back up and have International Connections to Brissy so then we could have 767 equipment but however that's unlikely to happen.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #11
Wezza
©

LOL @ Dalby Airport.
As far as international services into Townsville go, i tend to think that services to New Zealand could be viable at some stage? On the 767 front, keep an eye out over the christmas period as Qantas often upgrade some flights to 767 equipment.
I remember in 1981 (very vaguely mind you) my family and i flew Townsville - Honolulu - Los Angeles on a Qantas 747SP. Ahhh those were the days.
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #12
Bergin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
Blend, Townsville's terminal now has a mezzanine level with 3 domestic aerobridges and 1 international aerobridge. The mezzanine level has a departure lounge which can hold roughly 300-350 people. There is also a downstairs departure lounge for flights which aren't using aerobridges. There is talk within the next few years about building a multi-story carpark as well as renovating the entrance to the terminal. (I believe that will happen before the carpark) The terminal really does need at least 1 more baggage carosel. (Virgin & Alliance are sharing a carosel currently)
its pretty cool how they did it
Bergin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #13
Wezza
©

Yeah it is pretty good what they've done. It gives alot better impression of Townsville now when you deplane, walking through an aerobridge always gives that big city feel! Lol
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #14
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

They sounded like the days. I never knew that Townsville had direct flights to LA and San Fran at our doorstep, and nowadays, the yanks want to go via our bigger cities. I remember when I was Four, My family and I went to the Airport to drop my dad off to go to Brisbane and there was a Cathay Pacific 747 headed off to Hong Kong, we watched it take off and it is on thing ill never forget. I've only seen a 747 three times in my life.
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #15
Wezza
©

Townsville still gets the odd 747 every now and then. It has been a while since we had a visit by one though. I think the last visit was in February last year. A 747-300 from memory, was used as a replacement on the Tsv-Bne-Sin flight. At the time was operated by 767-300's.
On another note, i still remember the old Townsville terminal when it had a wire fence along the front of it where the departure "lounge" was!! Lol It was just an old tin shed.
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #16
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

The Terminal is looking great compared to the tin shed of a Terminal. Ireckon the only thing now they really need to do is put an extra Bag Carousel, add another aerobridge for domestic and try to at least get a weekly or two to N.Z. Infact, the Virgin/Pacific Blue connections here are considered International.
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #17
Wezza
©

Don't know if this is common knowledge, the international part of the terminal was built in the very early 80's for the commencement of international services to the U.S. by Qantas. If you look you can see where the building steps down in height from the newer domestic part of the terminal. The domestic part of the terminal was added in the mid to late 80's i think. Can't be sure. The old terminal before sure was a horror. Still remember going to the airport with my parents to pick up my grandparents, they would often come up from the Gold Coast on a TAA Fokker F27.
Old October 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #18
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Brisbane Airport INTL terminal is the Best in Queensland I reckon.
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #19
Wezza
©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertzy
Brisbane Airport INTL terminal is the Best in Queensland I reckon.
Thats a given!!
It doesn't have much competetion though...... Cairns, Townsville & Gold Coast. On a national front, the Brisbane International terminal would hold its own against any of the terminals about the country. It is also modular, which makes it easy to expand when the need arises. (I know alot about airports & aircraft cos i'm an aviation nut!!)
Grew up around aircraft and flying as my father used to be a pilot for Leanda Drilling. I currently hold a GFPT license.
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #20
ShayPlan

Trying to find operational data for maryborough and hervey bay airports........

Queensland major airports has potential to expand their services to international status (already achieved at Bris, GC and Cairns...I think Townsville, too??). Rockhampton is next in line to upgrade to international status!
ShayPlan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz