#PROJECTS: Toowoomba - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #281
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

Likes (Received): 204

There's also a fairly large 3 or 4 storey motel complex just started construction on the corner of kitchener & james st, design's not to bad very simple thou, It's no biggy but still worth a mention...
leothelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #282
jimmy deeb

Likes (Received): 0

Where bouts is JB hi-fi going?
jimmy deeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #283
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

just opposite gardentown on the right next to the chemist warehouse on margaret st...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #284
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2486

thats a great place for it!!! about time that area of the inner city got some decent shops!
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #285
jimmy deeb

Great spot that will certainly liven up that area of downtown.
Does anyone know whats replacing super a-mart when they move out to the harveynorman centre because that will be a huge loss to that area, quite a large space to.
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #286
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

I have no idea whats replacing a-mart jimmy... it will b quite a large emty space thou if there are no tenants...it's pity they have to move at all
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #287
Mr-Jay

Haven't seen the new JB HiFi store yet but apparently it's open for business. Saw an ad for it the other day.

Do any Toowoomba-ites know what is goin up near Kearney St (between Ruthven and West Sts) on outskirts of town near the uni? It doesn't look like like a huge development at this stage but they've got a small crane and a fair whack of Hutchinson workers out there.
Mr-Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #288
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

I'm pretty sure it's an extension of the springs garden world....

Have a look at the new site up from that new commercial complex on west & james(currently under construction) just behind the highland fling, it is the wierdest looking building I have ever seen, it has a heap of circular holes all over, looks like a deep sea sub.
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #289
jimmy deeb

I've seen that leo I can't work out what it is either, very strange looking.
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #290
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

seen as though TCP nealy completed, it's time for an update on our buildings.

Cottesloe Crest 16st (50m)
Condamine Centre 11st (46m)
Heritage Bld 11st (45m)
The Parks 12st (44m)
TCP(formerly trilogy) 10st (43m)
Base Hospital 9st (40m)
Grosvenor 8st (33m)
Engineering Block(Uni) 7st (32m)
Burke & Wills 7st (28m)
Empire Theatre ?? (27m)

That's to the best of my knowledge..
Including all plant rooms i think?

Last edited by leothelion; September 17th, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #291
Theville01

Likes (Received): 1

Toowoomba could soon out-do Cairns, thatll be the day
Theville01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #292
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theville01 View Post
Toowoomba could soon out-do Cairns, thatll be the day
Actually Toowoomba is quite an interesting city.

Its Australia's second largest inland city after Canberra.

It's quite rich - a lot of big money in Toowoomba. It has a Myer but we won't discuss that.

Its the HQ of Heritage Building Society.

It has Australia's highest birth rate - its cheap for families to live.

Toowoomba's suburbs are booming and with the council amalgamations the city will now be let loose on surrounding farmlands. Its always been hemmed in by surrounding shires.

It has some of the finest private schools in Australia - world class. Rich people from all over the Asia Pacific send their children to Toowoomba's fine private schools.

Its unique in that it sits on top of a mountain - not in a valley.

I'm sure there is more.

J
JayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #293
Theville01

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah but then Cairns has alot of good things to, I like both cities to be honest with you.
Theville01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM   #294
jimmy deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothelion View Post
seen as though TCP nealy completed, it's time for an update on our buildings.

Cottesloe Crest 16st (50m)
Condamine Centre 11st (46m)
Heritage Bld 11st (45m)
The Parks 12st (44m)
TCP(formerly trilogy) 10st (43m)
Base Hospital 9st (40m)
Grosvenor 8st (33m)
Engineering Block(Uni) 7st (32m)
Burke & Wills 7st (28m)
Empire Theatre ?? (27m)

That's to the best of my knowledge..
Including all plant rooms i think?
Leo there's another building next 2 Grosvenor at the range (Panorama Court),
Its 6or7 levels plus plant room maybe 27m I reckon.
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #295
leothelion
NICE HAT.....

Cheers jimmy, thats the brick building isn't it I keep forgetting about that one mainly due to the fact that its so f***ing ugly and small, built back in the 60's or 70's, 27m might be pushing it but never really seen any info on it so could be right...
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #296
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Battleline forms over extension to runway

28.09.2007 By Susan Searle

AIRPORT watcher Kev James wants Toowoomba City Council to cash the facility in and use the money to fund a fast train to the Oakey terminal.

Mr James has lived in his Paull Street home since 1992.

"The airport is prime real estate that could be sold and, if the fast train was funded, it would be only a 10-minute trip to Oakey," he said.

"We knew the airport was there when we bought and there were only two planes parked outside the terminal.

"Now there's about 18."

Mr James is fearful of the additional noise extra traffic would bring to the Wilsonton area.

A battleline between residents and businesses is forming.

Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce president Rod Scott believes a new airport is needed in the long term, but the current facility needs to be extended immediately.

Toowoomba was losing business because of its inadequate airport facilities, he said.

He was in traffic on the Gateway Motorway yesterday, 20km from the Brisbane airport, thankful he didn't have to catch a plane.

"I think Toowoomba needs a longer runway. I think Toowoomba needs much stronger and better communication and transport systems than it has now.

"So we need to improve the airport as soon as possible."

Under an amalgamated Toowoomba Regional Council, both Mr James and Mr Scott agree the Oakey civilian terminal would be a more central location.

Mr James became anxious when he saw surveyors on the tarmac earlier this month.

Now he says he's not surprised by the renewed calls from a Toowoomba business operator threatening to leave the city unless the runway is extended to cater for larger planes.

Energy company Easternwell Group already has two Beechcraft King Airs flying nine flights a week taking its 500 employees to and from Toowoomba to work sites.

But the company has warned council that additional contracts would result in staff numbers swelling to 800 employees which would require 20 flights unless larger planes could be used.

Toowoomba City Council will consider the matter at its committee meeting next Wednesday.

Mr James is considering starting a petition.

Lobby group Better Regional Airport Group secretary Barry Donnelly remembers the battle that was fought and won back in 1998.

Mr Donnelly, now retired and two books later, believes the concerns of safety back then are even more real now given the growth.

"It was never an option to extend and make it bigger and bigger where it is, but I can see the necessity for a bigger, better airport.

"But not where it is, it's illogical, it's dangerous when most crashes occur at take-off or landing."

Both men remember the accident when a light plane crashed into an oval at the Wilsonton school in 2000.

"With all the available land around Toowoomba there should be lots of other options or the best idea is to go to Oakey," Mr Donnelly said.

In the wings is Football Toowoomba president Greg Stuckey, fearful of losing more playing fields.

In 2000, council repossessed two ovals after fears stray cricket or soccer balls could hit planes.

Mr Stuckey is negotiating with council for more facilities after attracting more than 400 new players last season.

The 2200 junior membership has the sport recognised as the city's largest participation sport.
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #297
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Firm push to extend city runway

27.09.2007 By Susan Searle

A MAJOR Toowoomba employer says 800 jobs may leave the city unless a longer runway can be built at the airport.

Leading energy company Easternwell Group (EWG) has resurrected calls for a longer runway to accommodate bigger planes.

The company has 500 employees who call Toowoomba home and are flown by the company to and from oil and gas rig sites.

Two Beechcraft King Airs are used for nine flights a week.

Company growth, spurred by success in winning several long-term contracts, will result in the Easternwell Group expanding to 800 employees.

And Toowoomba City Council has been put on notice that the number of touchdowns will increase to 20 unless larger planes are used  and bigger planes need a longer runway.

Warren Willmington, from EWG, said the business bought locally and was vital to Toowoomba's economy.

"If, for whatever reason, the upgrade does not occur, EWG will be forced to look for alternative airports to operate out of, with Brisbane being the most realistic," he wrote.

Mr Willmington warned of the dramatic repercussions of the relocation of the aircraft which would force the company to employ out of Brisbane.

Council's Roads and Transport portfolio chair Graham Barron has been pushing for some update on the 1999 study of three preferred options to cater for larger aircraft which should be revisited in council next week.

He is confident there is a need for Toowoomba to Sydney flights more so than Toowoomba to Brisbane.

But Cr Barron concedes it is unlikely any decision can be made until the Toowoomba Regional Council is in place next March.

Mr Willmington is not alone in his plea.

Wagners director John Wagner has been lobbying the Toowoomba City Council and State Government for years.

He says the lack of public air transport into the Garden City is an embarrassment.

Mr Wagner believes only 300 metres of bitumen  works costing a "couple of million dollars"  are needed. He said he made a 8verbal offer to council last year.

"I was prepared to lend them the money or I'd do the work in a private public partnership and they can pay me back when they can afford to," Mr Wagner said.

The offer fell on deaf ears.

"It's an absolute priority to get a regular public air transport in and out of this city," he said.

The State Government is calling for submissions to provide an air transport line out of the city, but Mr Wagner said QantasLink would not be interested unless the runway was lengthened.

Eastland Air ceased its Toowoomba to Brisbane services in 2002.

"It is important people understand that Toowoomba now has a number of companies that work internationally," Mr Wagner said.

"We're one of a myriad companies that work internationally and it's an absolute disgrace when someone gets off the plane from New York and you say you have to catch a Greyhound bus to Toowoomba."

Wagners, he said, picks up its visitors in its company jet.

In 2001, consultancy group Connell Wagner recommended a privately-owned Wyreema site, behind the Darling Downs Correctional Centre, 20km south-west of the city.

Alternative sites were considered because of the surrounding land use constraints development had placed on the current site.
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #298
Red Nut
Mackay Alumni

Likes (Received): 133

Good news for Toowoomba!

Old chapel restored in $20m city project

THE TOOWOOMBA CHRONICLE
By Susan Searle

A $20 MILLION multi-storey residential, commercial and retail development - the city's second - will begin in February.

F.K. Gardner and Sons intends restoring the Western Galleries site, formerly the Church of Christ chapel, with an outdoor bar and restaurant as well as a seven-storey residential and office space building.

Initial plans were for nine storeys, but F.K. Gardner and Sons managing director Gary Gardner concedes that was going to prove too costly.

Toowoomba City Council approved the development in June 2005.

Mr Gardner had envisaged it as being a first.

But the project has been trumped by the $50 million eight-storey Trilogy Apartment development, the joint venture of National Properties and Prime Properties.
Trilogy features 31 residential units as well as commercial office space with the ground and mezzanine levels dedicated to retail outlets fronting Ruthven Street.

Mr Gardner is unperturbed.

"They are two different sites and there's still a lot of interest in inner-city living.

"We're not looking for pre-sale, we are just going to build it," he said.

Formerly the Trades Hall building, the century-old Romanesque-style chapel at one stage faced demolition when it could not be sold.

And there also was its controversial delisting from the Heritage Council's register.

Under Mr Gardner's plan the church will be restored, including its historic ceiling with part of it to form the foyer of the multi-storey building which will overlook the retail section of Margaret Street.

Construction is expected to take a year.
Red Nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #299
SkyscraperMad
Skyscraper Mad

yay, another tower. About the longer runway i think it would be a good idea to make the airport larger for people and industry to keep the 800 jobs in the city.
SkyscraperMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #300
isoboy

Likes (Received): 3

Toowoomba definitely needs a proper runway and airport. If one is built, I can see Virgin or Jetstar commencing jet flights there, as they do to cities like Rockhampton. It's ridiculous that a city of Toowoomba's size and importance is restricted to little prop planes because of its woeful airport.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement