#PROJECTS: James Cook University (Townsville) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1
GoTroppo
Troppo In TSV

Likes (Received): 17

#PROJECTS: James Cook University (Townsville)

I went out to the JCU open day on Sunday to have a look over the (proposed $1bn) Discovery Rise project that JCU have proposed for the campus.

It's quite a substantial vision spanning the next 8-10 years funded through land sales in the surrounding hills and commercial development. It will see a higher density footprint throughout the campus (about time) but retaining its unique landscape. The proposed timeframe (see below), is (I think) somewhat optimistic, but they seem to have decent planner onboard, so they're heading in the right direction. One of the most prominent features is to be a covered "verandah walk" in the spirit of the "Great Courts" of the "sandstone" Uni's (a la Chariots of Fire) - the impressions I've seen look quite impressive (and very NQ).

Preliminary Stage (Under Way)
Statutory planning and infrastructure planning and design

Stage 1A (2009)
Academic Core and Student Accommodation

Stage 1B (2010)
Residential and Creative Gateway / Town Central
Master Plan map image

Stage 2 (mid 2011)
Student Accommodation and Residential
Learning Centre

Stage 3A (2013)
Mixed Industry and business activities
Hillside Residential

Stage 3B (2013)
Student Accommodation

Stage 3C (2013)
Village Residential

Stage 3D (2013)
Creative Gateway

Stage 4 (2015)
Mixed Industry and business activities
Medium Density Residential

Some of the images from the site:

There is a detailed proposal report which they claim will be published on the project website soon - but I was told it was somewhere on the JCU website - just well hidden. I've tried searching without luck - it was called something like Learning City or kin.
GoTroppo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
phreeky82

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTroppo View Post
It's quite a substantial vision spanning the next 8-10 years funded through land sales in the surrounding hills and commercial development. It will see a higher density footprint throughout the campus (about time) but retaining its unique landscape.
A little sad perhaps. JCU is such a nice open uni, walking a good kilometre or so from your electrical engineering lecture to your effective writing lecture (probably the most extreme case - and I'm sure the subjects have long changed ) is quite nice (if not more like a run! haha).

It wasn't unusual to see a snake in the grass area behind the library or some funky other little creatures. It had such a natural feel, something extremely unique and great about JCU.

I know I'm sounding a little extreme here - just thinking back to how much I enjoyed it at JCU! But in all seriousness, North Queensland bush is basically how that area is at present - fairly dry, stumpy little trees with long dry grass.

My quick thoughts on some of the terms used on the linked site:

"Flexible and adaptable open space" - I hope this means keeping it natural and not trying to green it right up.

"Strong pedestrian networks" - I don't like the Verandah all-around concept, some trees along a simple walk way work wonders, we don't live in the wet tropics, a roof isn't all that necessary!

"Water Sensitive Urban Design" - possibly good, depending on how they go about it. I hope it doesn't mean little open grass (trying to get away from watering the grass I'm guessing).

"Green Walls / Green Roofs" - good

"Planting for a Tropical Campus" - they're not trying to convince us it's a tropical location are they?

"Bio-retention" - hopefully thorough use of the natural bush how it is.

"Alternative energies / power" - good

"Go local" - ???

Overall I'm concerned they are trying to make it look greener than it is, rather than natural.
phreeky82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #3
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2346

Yeh, I'm a little aprehensive about Discovery Rise destroying the natural bushland setting of JCU, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. Having your hot chips stolen by a kookaburra outside the refec, finding a python curled up asleep in the stairwell, almost tripping over bandicoots on the way home after a late lecture, watching a brush-turkey build a nesting mound outside the window during a boring tutorial (all of which have happened to me). Priceless! As a biology student its fantastic cause you literally only have to step outside the door to do some serious field work. Hopefully it stays that way.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Likes (Received): 1

Its huge though, i catch the bus everyday and it goes through the uni, it looks like a very nice place to study. I also went there for the open day and it was quite good. Might be heading there next year or the year after that, just see how QCS went today and how it will go tommorrow.

Last edited by Gertzy; September 4th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.
Gertzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Boo4524

Likes (Received): 0

A bit off topic but how did QCS go for you Gertzy? I did mine last year and did quite well in it. My school was huge on the practice tests and strategies for the multiple choice papers though, so that would have contributed.

I was actually up in Townsville over the weekend and was pretty impressed by the building currently taking place. I didn't get a chance to see JCU but from what I've heard it is oh so much better than the pathetic excuse of a university that is CQU Mackay.
Boo4524 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #6
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Um, i think i didnt do too bad, but the stimulus for the writing task was shithouse this year, i did the 2006 one, Shapes, as a practice for the actual one. There was about 80 out of 127 grade 12 students at my school, who were planning to do QCS, but it was knocked down to 60 because our school wants to achieve a good OP average.

The school im at really pushes practice tests, we always spent the last two periods of school on Tuesday doing some sort of Practice. As far as i know, they've always had QCS practices since the school studies principal has been there, but they've really been pushing it since 2003 (because a certain forumer named Oriolus got an OP1 in 2002, and it was the first for some time at my school, and then the next OP1 didnt come along till 3 years later).
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #7
goschio
mongrel

Likes (Received): 6895

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreeky82 View Post
Overall I'm concerned they are trying to make it look greener than it is, rather than natural.
Well, this would be a good thing. There is enough brown bush around Townsville.
ARD 5:33
„Die ARD ist der verlängerte Arm des Bürgers.“, „Fernsehen ohne Profitzensur“., „Wir nehmen jeden ernst – auch Deine Oma.“, „Demokratie statt Umsatz.“, „Andere wollen Geldgewinne. Wir wollen Kulturgewinn.“, „Kein Demokratiekapitalismus. Kein Rundfunkkapitalismus. Kein Informationskapitalismus.“, „Exzellenz statt Profitfixierung.“
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #8
phreeky82

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Well, this would be a good thing. There is enough brown bush around Townsville.
Well I disagree - if there is to be bush left natural, a university is the perfect place to do so.
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

A mixture is always good, as long as there is enough natural bush left to bring the wallabies and Kangaroos out to the side of the road, so i can see them when the bus goes past.
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Burden

Iam not exactley sure if this development is directley related to the JCU redevelopment, but this would seem the appropriate place for this info...

An artist’s impression of what the Australian Tropical Science and Innovation Precinct (ATSIP) will look like. Image by: 'Conrad Gargett Architecture'

New tropical science research hub for Queensland

2 October 2008 l New tropical science research hub for Queensland (Media Release)

Tropical research in Queensland received a boost today with a ceremony to mark the start of construction of the A$32 million Australian Tropical Science and Innovation Precinct (ATSIP) at James Cook University in Townsville.

Following the ‘turning of the first sod’ on the site by Queensland’s Tourism, Regional Development and Industry Minister, Desley Boyle, CSIRO’s Agribusiness Group Leader, Dr Joanne Daly, said CSIRO, JCU and the Queensland Government had committed significant resources to the development of ATSIP.

“The Precinct will position Australia as the pre-eminent provider of tropical science knowledge to industries and communities in the world’s tropics, particularly those in the Asia-Pacific region,” she said.

JCU’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Sandra Harding, said ATSIP would co-locate two of Australia’s premier research organisations, CSIRO and JCU, thereby enabling them to collaborate on overcoming barriers to establishing sustainable natural resource use in the tropics.

“The Precinct will position Australia as the pre-eminent provider of tropical science knowledge to industries and communities in the world’s tropics, particularly those in the Asia-Pacific region,”
Dr Daly said.“JCU and CSIRO have complementary research profiles and ATSIP will provide the platform for greater and innovative research partnerships,” Professor Harding said.

“This part of the country is home to vibrant regional communities, many of which rely on the region’s reefs and rainforests for their livelihood.

“Science has a critical role to play in providing information to protect and manage these valuable icons.”

Examples of planned research include; effective water use management, long-term sustainable production methods in savannah landscapes and development of novel tropical crops and production systems.
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #11
BSD

Likes (Received): 253

Thats a great sign for future students including me. Great project for the uni!
BSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #12
BSD

The campus is got so busy with construction now! ATIP building is 90% completed, lot of unknown construction buildings on JCU Drive on eastside plus construction has started on the southern side of the library.

EDIT: Any mods need to rename the thread to UC?
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #13
phreeky82

Hey BSD I haven't been around the campus lately, been overseas. What's on the eastside? Are you talking the new CSIRO building or further over?

FYI there is (or at least was a couple of months ago) webcams of some of the construction going on viewable via the JCU website.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #14
BSD

Eastside is the opposite end of JCU Drive (opposite of Nursing, Marine, Geology, Engineering and Physics departments).

It also including around medicine precient.
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #15
BSD

Under construction Locations

ATIP Building
Medicine Blding 2
Vet Blding 2
Engineering Blding 3
Library (southern end)
HLT stage 2
Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:48 AM   #16
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2346

Article in the Bulletin yesterday about the new Clinical Practice Building, which is part of the Discovery Rise masterplan, and is due to start construction early next year, near the entrance to the uni. Not a bad design and a pretty significant size for JCU too, at 5 storeys high, with 12,700sqm. Very good news.

Discovery Rise takes off at JCU - Townsville Bulletin | December 1st, 2011

$44m landmark for JCU - James Cook University Media Release | November 30th, 2011

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:44 AM   #17
phreeky82

The greater Discovery Rise project work at the entrance to the uni appears to be in the state of leveling the land and digging some trenches, all fenced off etc. However I'm not sure whether they can actually build much yet, do they have approval? AFAIK they're also still trying to sell land for funding, not sure how that is going (or whether I've got it all wrong)?!?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:16 AM   #18
BSD

Looks big, more construction boom yet again. Teaching/student building is on the way up as well. Library redevelopment will be completed before semester begins again. Library and cafe will be 24/7.

Wonder what fresh food store would be!? Hopefully its IGA.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM   #19
phreeky82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD View Post
Library and cafe will be 24/7.
A 24/7 cafe?!?!?! At the library? All year round?
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM   #20
BSD

Semester only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement