#PROJECTS: Townsville - Page 101 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Regional Queensland

Regional Queensland Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #2001
GoTroppo
Troppo In TSV

Likes (Received): 17

RE: "Big plans for southern super-highway" - this is such old news. The Main Roads website (where the details of this are readily available) shows the last update on these plans happened on 8th December, 2008.

Makes you wonder why this is suddenly "newsworthy" - particularly given the current brouhaha around development at this site.
GoTroppo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2002
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 1465

Anyone else noticed the self-erector crane at the school on Charters Towers Rd?
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #2003
GoTroppo
Troppo In TSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
Anyone else noticed the self-erector crane at the school on Charters Towers Rd?
Yeah, apparently it's for a new library extension and will house a computer facility of some sort (or so I'm told by someone who works there). It'll be a pretty small addition - not much room between the existing buildings and the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #2004
GoTroppo
Troppo In TSV

WTF? I was browsing old links for our Townsville Developments Map and discovered that TCC have posted the old Radcliffe CBD Plan on their website.

Is this not 10 years out of date or are they going back to the original design???
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2005
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2356

Here is an updated crane count for Townsville, there are five left, but unfortunately most of them will be coming down before too long and there probably wont be many, if any, going up Then there are also a couple of self-erecters at Abode, and St Margaret Marys as mentioned above.

Dalgety - 1x Favco 1500
Solarus - 1x Favco 750
Altitude - 1x Liebherr hammerhead
Jade - 1x Liebherr hammerhead
Mariners Peninsula - 1x Potain hammerhead

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #2006
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Completed photo of 19 Stanley Street. Its two-thirds leased, but one of the tennants is an insolvency firm - sign of the times? From Invester, 22/4/09 (link)

Quote:
Colliers director Steven McDonald said the city's newest office building, 19 Stanley St, was two-thirds leased to insolvency firm Jessups North Queensland, fertiliser group Incitect Pivot and insurance group Jardine Lloyd Thompson Associates. The tenants have moved in during the past few weeks. The 922sq m second floor remains to be leased.

"We've seen a marked pick-up in leasing, especially over the last couple of months," Mr McDonald said. The Stanley St building features energy-efficient air-conditioning plant and design, energy-efficient lighting and design, heat radiation treatment to external areas, light sensors in common areas and water-saving fittings.

Mr McDonald said the building's security system and its 130 car parking spaces, well above Townsville City Council requirements, had attracted a lot of interest.
image hosted on flickr

Visit me on flickr
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #2007
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

By the time this starts construction it'll probably be the tallest building under construction in Townsville - the 4 storey extension to the Townsville Hospital. But look at the hessian sack design - its going to look ridiculous tacking that onto the side of the existing building - why would they not replicate the existing design.

[IMG]http://i41.************/24zmbmo.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Work starts on new Townsville Hospital wing

Lendl Ryan | May 5th, 2009

TOWNSVILLE`S Hospital's $94 million expansion is a step closer with early construction work starting today on the new North Block. The four-storey building will feature an expanded emergency department, an in-patient unit and will house new medical technology when completed.

Deputy Premier and Health Minister Paul Lucas told the Townsville Bulletin exclusively that today would be a milestone for the hospital's expansion. "Since 2004 we've increased doctors in the Townsville district by more than 50 per cent and nurses by almost 25 per cent," Mr Lucas said. "Now we're getting on with the job of building a better hospital. The new four-storey block will house an expanded emergency department, a 34-bed in-patient unit and new medical imaging services. The expanded emergency department will more than double the current capacity and provide 37 extra treatment spaces."

There will be a sod-turning ceremony at the site today with Queensland Health Director General Mick Reid. The early works, carried out by Hutchinson Builders, will include the diversion of underground services, construction of new parking areas and temporary bus bays. Mr Lucas said the work would complete the delivery of 100 extra beds to Townsville Hospital.

The beds were promised in 2006 by then-premier Peter Beattie but failed to eventuate while he was in power. Premier Anna Bligh later said there was no timeline on the original promised beds and that they would now be `fast-tracked'. Ms Bligh then converted executive offices and random spare space to house new beds promised to new medical wards.

"Thirty beds were brought on line in 2007 and another 30 are on track to be delivered by August this year," Mr Lucas said. "The final 40 beds will be delivered in this phase of the expansion."

Townsville Hospital was slammed earlier this year by the Australian Medical Association as the worst performing hospital in Queensland. Townsville Hospital has at times had the longest waiting list in Queensland for patients needing to be transferred from the emergency department to beds on a ward.

Nineteen people were waiting for a bed last Wednesday and 17 people waiting the day before. There have been claims of `ramping' at the hospital, in which patients have to wait in a vehicle or ambulance until a hospital bed is available. A new mum had to be separated from her premature baby in December 2008 due to overcrowding.

Mr Lucas visited Townsville last week to meet with doctors, nurses and allied health professionals as part of a `listening tour' to kick off his term in a new portfolio. Mr Lucas admitted money would be a factor in the expansion of Townsville Hospital but committed to making the hospital `future proof' to service the city's growth. The North Block is expected to be completed by November, 2010. The refurbishment of the existing hospital is due for completion by August 2011.

Visit me on flickr
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #2008
Burden

Looks good.
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #2009
mick87

Likes (Received): 2

yucky........... like tomato
mick87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #2010
Burden

Tomato is good for you son, Didnt your mother ever teach you that.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #2011
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick87 View Post
yucky........... like tomato
It's a hospital....
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #2012
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Heres a construction photo of the Australian Tropical Sciences and Innovation Precinct (ATSIP) which is just getting out of the ground at JCU. Will be 4 storeys, and looks like quite a funky design. You can also follow this one on a webcam, although the stream isn't working for me atm, just live still frames

renders from Conrad Gargett Architecture
information from CSIRO
webcam from JCU

image hosted on flickr

Visit me on flickr
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #2013
mick87

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
Tomato is good for you son, Didnt your mother ever teach you that.

I know, still makes me dry reach
mick87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #2014
Burden

According to todays Townsville Bulletin construction has started on a $53 million dollar extension of the Townsville Bulletin printing facility on Sturt street to be one of the most advanced in Queensland. Its a hefty development and according to the article it'll be 43m long and 22m high over two levels. Thought i'd mention it because the development will have a glass facade so it can be viewed from Sturt street. It'll definitely look good on the entry to the CBD. Nice view before you turn into the CBD.

[IMG]http://i44.************/qs8sua.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #2015
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Sounds good. Was there a render (if so was it colour)? At 22m I'm guessing it'll be around the same height as current section, and glassy sounds good. Heres a little bit of interesting info from Townsville 2000:The Port That Grew:

In 1995, a new state of the art printing plant was commissioned at Flinders Street West. It was completed in September 1997 at a total cost of $28 million. The Flinders West Print Centre prints the Townsville Bulletin, Courier Mail and The Australian for distribution in the area north of Mackay and west to Mount Isa. It is the biggest single press line in the News Ltd group and the busiest, with an operational capacity of 50,000 copies per hour.

image hosted on flickr

Visit me on flickr
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #2016
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Abode nearing completion, taken yesteday:

image hosted on flickr

Visit me on flickr

Last edited by Oriolus; May 29th, 2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2017
Burden

According to the news last week, construction is set to start on this prettty awesome looking low rise opposite Stockland with a target completion of late April next year which I think is abit optimistic.

Apparently a Health Clinic from the Townsville Hospital has fully tenanted the building. Whats the chances of this using a tower crane?

[IMG]http://i36.************/t7ygxt.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2018
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Likes (Received): 1

I would imagine it would be quite high, especially considering its roughly six stories high. Its developer is Gordon Property development which also developed Blue on Blue on the island, and if anyone can remember, there were roughly two or three Liebharr hammerhead cranes used on that development which consisted mostly of two and three story buildings.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM   #2019
Jesse24

Likes (Received): 465

I would be surprised if no Liebharr crane was used.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:28 AM   #2020
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burden View Post
According to the news last week, construction is set to start on this prettty awesome looking low rise opposite Stockland with a target completion of late April next year which I think is abit optimistic.

Apparently a Health Clinic from the Townsville Hospital has fully tenanted the building. Whats the chances of this using a tower crane?
Wow, thats awesome (or will be if it happens). Wasn't expecting a project like that to go ahead after the GFC, but I guess its primarily because the tennant will be a government funded medical centre. I'd probably prefer commercial offices, but meh, thats a huge step forward in height and design for suburban developments in Townsville. Fingers cross for a tower crane.

Heres an article from January with some details about the "super-clinic"
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...311_hpbus.html

Visit me on flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz