NOTTINGHAM | Full Summary of Projects - Page 274 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Nottingham and Nottinghamshire

Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:49 PM   #5461
djfusion777

Likes (Received): 799

Interestingly, the Sentinel is still being marketed on FHP:

I thought it had been canned- obviously not?

iamtheSTIG, sirstan74 liked this post
djfusion777 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2016, 10:54 PM   #5462
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 7090

I don't think it was ever canned, it just went very quiet.

Obviously now with 2 400,000sqft developments in the pipeline, waterside developments, and the potential for a tower or 2 with a huge conference centre on the current NCT depot, things are looking up for Nottingham and obviously the confidence is there.

Once some of these come through, Nottingham will be in a high position for the next cycle
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:21 AM   #5463
local_weasel

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood199 View Post
I think the City Council have one eye on Liverpool here. Their ACC, I think, is quite successful and marries an arena to a convention centre...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Liverpool
Theirs looks out across the Mersey, ours will have a panoramic view of Sneinton
local_weasel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:52 PM   #5464
Wooderson

Likes (Received): 193

Erm, in what is probably a first the Post is live blogging today's city council planning meeting.

You can follow it on the link below - up first seems to be converting one of the blocks on Maid Marian Way (can't remember which one, and it doesn't say) into residential use:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Free-s...ail/story.html
Wooderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:02 PM   #5465
BerlinerBär

Likes (Received): 46

More high quality journalism from the Post

Councillor Edwards joins in: "We know what a disappointed 1960s aricheture is and we had hopes. Here was a scheme giving it a front with green credentials and we rehearsed that at some length. It would be a real shame if we lose that redesign."
BerlinerBär no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:28 PM   #5466
mapperleyred

Likes (Received): 166

Turning disappointed 1960's architecture into residential is the best way of preserving them!

The only decent block on Maid Marion Way is the white tower next to the NCP car park.

If its any other, then knock it down.
mapperleyred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:00 PM   #5467
sherwood199

Likes (Received): 1011

Noticed these today. I think Nottingham City Homes have done an excellent job with this refurb, substantially better than Academy Heights (new build) I reckon...

sherwood199 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #5468
mapperleyred

Great refurb.
Old March 24th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #5469
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Likes (Received): 2146

shame we couldn't grab those blocks, plus the Clifton flats and that tall building (Burrows Court?) in Sneinton, give them a make over and plonk them all at the top of Maid Marian way. It'd give us at least the best East Midlands skyline
Karate_Kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #5470
ben77

Likes (Received): 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate_Kev View Post
shame we couldn't grab those blocks, plus the Clifton flats and that tall building (Burrows Court?) in Sneinton, give them a make over and plonk them all at the top of Maid Marian way. It'd give us at least the best East Midlands skyline
You don't need a load of shit mid height council blocks to give us the bets skyline. Leicester has the most high city centre buildings and its skyline is a disgrace. Be happy that ours hasn't been ruined any more.
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 01:39 AM   #5471
mapperleyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben77 View Post
You don't need a load of shit mid height council blocks to give us the bets skyline. Leicester has the most high city centre buildings and its skyline is a disgrace. Be happy that ours hasn't been ruined any more.
Too late.
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #5472
Karate_Kev
Kolymaaa

Likes (Received): 2146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben77 View Post
In fairness, they may be shit and mid height but with a good make over they can still look reasonably good, ala Bentinck Court. They could have added bulk to the skyline.

Vic Centre unfortunately is probably too strangely shaped I think that's beyond saving.

I wouldn't worry anyway I don't think it's possible to grab them all and plonk them in the centre
Karate_Kev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #5473
ranny fash
quacked

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapperleyred View Post
It will be typical Nottingham if it built.

Wrong building in the wrong location.

Rather worrying that, rather than preserve what is good in Nottingham and demolishing what is bad, we're hell bent on destroying the good in the Lace Market and doing too little to improve the eastside and southside.

What a mess.
Opinions. I like it, personally
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #5474
ranny fash
quacked

Convention Centre plans sound good. I've known vaguely about this for a while because the gallery where i volunteer is on that site and sadly would have to make way. So it's mixed emotions for me.

There has been next to no communication from the council regarding any plans....other than to say something will happen at some point. We're on a 6 month rolling tenancy. It's all very confusing.
Old March 25th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #5475
local_weasel

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranny fash View Post
Convention Centre plans sound good. I've known vaguely about this for a while because the gallery where i volunteer is on that site and sadly would have to make way. So it's mixed emotions for me.

There has been next to no communication from the council regarding any plans....other than to say something will happen at some point. We're on a 6 month rolling tenancy. It's all very confusing.
Gallery?.. Those units are looking great at Sneinton market -get your people to move next door. Win win for everyone!
local_weasel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #5476
ranny fash
quacked

They're too small for us! We need offices, studio spaces, plus 2 exhibition spaces, workshop etc
Old April 2nd, 2016, 03:56 PM   #5477
djfusion777

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes...?premiumA=true

Not seen these before:

Quote:
Marlborough Hall is an exclusive gated development in Mapperley Park consisting of sixteen individual apartments. Built in 1875 this former Victorian house has been aesthetically refurbished restoring many of its original features including stunning atrium, stonework around the windows, wooden beams and Minton tiled flooring.

There is a selection of one and two bedroom luxury apartments some with outdoor space including courtyard gardens and patio areas, all of the apartments benefit from allocated parking. The development has two parts, The Atrium and The Convent. The Atrium has an impressive and spacious hallway leading to the apartments on the ground and first floor and has Minton tiled flooring and original staircase.

Great looking building and conversion. Was formerly Trent uni accommodation, nice to see something being converted from student accommodation for a change!

nguba, mapperleyred liked this post
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #5478
goosewing

Likes (Received): 197

Had so much more potential though, still, at least it didn't burn to the ground.
goosewing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #5479
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 28

Just had a meeting with a councillor that sits on the planning committee. The meeting wasn't related to development as such but we ended up discussing it that for about 30 mins. Got some interesting snippets (non that are hugely significant):

- The Council would ideally like to knock down the Broadmarsh car park, but it brings in £3m annually for the council. Hence why they've decided to reclad it.

- Intu are being absolutely dicks (no better way to phrase it). She sounds genuinely skeptical as to whether Intu are actually going to go ahead. They're finding every to delay. For example, now they won't begin work on the Broadmarsh until the council begin/complete (I can't remember which one) work on the car park. They believe the car park 'blights their offering'!

- Also re Broadmarsh - There are some infrastructure issue below Colin Street. I can't remember the ins and outs but essentially, there is some sort of piping system below it that is outdated and is leaking. Intu will not begin work on the Broadmarsh until that is sorted. I got the impression that that is why the council are prepared to remodel Colin Street - they've got to dig it up anyway.

- She is personally in favour of an extended city boundary. However, the council aren't fully agreed on it since some of them feel they'll lose control over the council. She's frustrated that Rushcliffe residents (and others) take advantage of the city without contributing at all too it. She also highlighted some of the challenges of having a city boundary that covers the city's poorest areas: a lot of Nottingham City's residents don't actually pay any council tax for example.

- The Council is generally adopting a strategy of getting more involved. Apparently, the City has quite big reserves in comparison to other cities, and these are being used to either buy up developments that generate income for the council (i.e. Flying Walk), buy companies to kick start (Blueprint for example), or being spent on projects that give them a great influence. For example - one of the reasons they are contributing to the new college building across from Southreef is so they can have a greater say on how the colleges are run (given they've both have had financial difficulties over the last year). With reference to New College Nottingham she specifically said both our big colleges have contributed to the city's skills shortage by offering courses which bring in money rather than what the city needs. She also said "there are only so many hairdressing jobs Nottingham can accommodate".

Interesting stuff. Nothing major as I mentioned though.

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #5480
djfusion777

That is interesting danz, thanks for sharing. It is shocking that some council members won't accept the city growing just due to fear they'll lose control. It's blatant manipulation really.

The Intu complaints and remarks on the hairdressing jobs are insightful too. Just goes to show that many on the council probably feel the same way as us, but are hamstrung by bureaucracy/vested interests.

Rushcliffe must have one of the best balanced budgets in the country.

Last edited by djfusion777; April 4th, 2016 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
development summary