NOTTINGHAM | Full Summary of Projects - Page 322 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Nottingham and Nottinghamshire

Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Proposals, Construction and Completed


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 11th, 2019, 08:54 AM   #6421
kevjs1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahhill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinerBär View Post
I always wished they'd have done something similar with the arches on the rest of the viaduct before it was demolished
I'd still love to know why they demolished it in the first place. Looking at old maps from the time of the GCR, it's clear that the alignment of the old viaduct is virtually identical to the new tram viaduct that replaced it.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/115392413#z...7437&layers=BT
Surely demolishing it was just unnecessary work and expense. I could understand if it was motivated by a need to modernise (i.e. if it was unsuitable for track gauge / weight capacity etc), but the fact that a portion of the old viaduct is still used to bear the tram alongside Trent St would discount this.
AIUI the tram uses there entirety of what remained of the GCR viaduct, the new bits either being on a new alignment (linking to Middle Hill) or demolished decades ago.

The more recent demolition was the curve pointing towards the old London Road High Level Station which was demolished to allow construction of the college in its place.
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:36 AM   #6422
Masseylopez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjs1982 View Post
AIUI the tram uses there entirety of what remained of the GCR viaduct, the new bits either being on a new alignment (linking to Middle Hill) or demolished decades ago.

The more recent demolition was the curve pointing towards the old London Road High Level Station which was demolished to allow construction of the college in its place.
If memory serves, the stretch from Cliff Road to Canal Street, along the old Sussex Street alignment, was still there until at least the late 1990s. It was the basis of a Year Five project on the architecture degree, and that would have been 1997. The only thing that was missing was the bridge over Canal Street.
__________________

wahhill liked this post
Masseylopez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 01:34 PM   #6423
goosewing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 863
Likes (Received): 197

I wonder if t was a strength/condition issue - there were core samples taken of the retained stretch to determine if it could be retained, perhaps this portion was deemed too weak, or perhaps it was desirable to 'open this space up' as pert of the proposed Westfield development, either way it is a pity.
__________________

sirstan74 liked this post
goosewing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #6424
wahhill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Glasgow (originally Nottingham)
Posts: 56
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masseylopez View Post
If memory serves, the stretch from Cliff Road to Canal Street, along the old Sussex Street alignment, was still there until at least the late 1990s. It was the basis of a Year Five project on the architecture degree, and that would have been 1997. The only thing that was missing was the bridge over Canal Street.
Yes I certainly remember this being there in the late 90s, when Midland Magneto was still around on Canal St.
wahhill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM   #6425
kevjs1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masseylopez View Post
If memory serves, the stretch from Cliff Road to Canal Street, along the old Sussex Street alignment, was still there until at least the late 1990s. It was the basis of a Year Five project on the architecture degree, and that would have been 1997. The only thing that was missing was the bridge over Canal Street.
My bad, I thought the bit between the college and broadmarsh was old viaduct... It is of course a different bridge!
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 02:48 PM   #6426
sirstan74
Registered User
 
sirstan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 670
Likes (Received): 195

I think the GCR viaduct between Weekday Cross and Canal Street was demolished because originally the Broadmarsh was planned to extend up to the tram alignment, with a new bus station located east of the tram line. It was specifically demolished to build the tram line in the early 2000s, not before. Having a lighter weight structure meant that the land east of the tram line would not suffer as much from severance as if the original heavyweight railway arches were there. Agreed, it was a shame to lose it though.

There's a pic of the viaduct in the link below.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/imag...tgm008389.html
__________________

kevjs1982 liked this post

Last edited by sirstan74; September 12th, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
sirstan74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:48 PM   #6427
kevjs1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstan74 View Post
I think the GCR viaduct between Weekday Cross and Canal Street was demolished because originally the Broadmarsh was planned to extend up to the tram alignment, with a new bus station located east of the tram line. It was specifically demolished to build the tram line in the early 2000s, not before. Having a lighter weight structure meant that the land east of the tram line would not suffer as much from severance as if the original heavyweight railway arches were there. Agreed, it was a shame to lose it though.

There's a pic of the viaduct in the link below.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/imag...tgm008389.html
That rings a bell now - were there some dilapidated steps leading down to there with overgrown vegetation next to it? If so that was my way to work when I moved to Nottingham
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 11:46 AM   #6428
Daviegraham
Davie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 635
Likes (Received): 368

Does anyone know a great city centre conference room for about 10-15 people?

Ideally looking for something with an excellent view! Trying to avoid the Hilton route...
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 02:06 PM   #6429
Bingethink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,658
Likes (Received): 757

https://www.broadway.org.uk/venue-hi...nd-conferences

No view, but lunch on the terrace?
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 03:31 PM   #6430
Daviegraham
Davie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 635
Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingethink View Post
Thanks Binge, i'll take a look.
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2019, 11:59 PM   #6431
iamtheSTIG
Registered User
 
iamtheSTIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Nottingham - The city of Robin Hood
Posts: 5,273
Likes (Received): 7090

109 Carrington Street now under wraps (16 apartments):





iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 02:01 PM   #6432
Bingethink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,658
Likes (Received): 757

Noticed today that the former Globe pub on London Road has been demolished in the last few days.

This is situated next to an old filling station/hand car wash which had been turned down in planning as the site of a single storey coffee shop (Tim Horton's) because the council wanted a more prominent gateway development. It's also halfway between new developments at Saffron Court/Chainey Place and Trent Bridge Quays.

Anyone got an idea what's planned here?
__________________

Daviegraham, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 03:40 PM   #6433
ben77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 726

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...london-3422350
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #6434
SpaceBound
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingethink View Post
Noticed today that the former Globe pub on London Road has been demolished in the last few days.

This is situated next to an old filling station/hand car wash which had been turned down in planning as the site of a single storey coffee shop (Tim Horton's) because the council wanted a more prominent gateway development. It's also halfway between new developments at Saffron Court/Chainey Place and Trent Bridge Quays.

Anyone got an idea what's planned here?
I thought they had pulled the planning app because Tim Horton's pulled out of a lot of the sites they were looking at. Probably be a KFC or something.
SpaceBound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 10:54 PM   #6435
Bingethink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,658
Likes (Received): 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBound View Post
I thought they had pulled the planning app because Tim Horton's pulled out of a lot of the sites they were looking at. Probably be a KFC or something.
It was recommended to be refused, so I doubt it.
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2019, 10:55 PM   #6436
Bingethink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,658
Likes (Received): 757

Steel going up at Trent Bridge Quays.
__________________

kevjs1982, local_weasel liked this post
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #6437
ben77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 726

Hows the building on the other side of Trent Bridge coming along?
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #6438
kevjs1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,378
Likes (Received): 896

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben77 View Post
Hows the building on the other side of Trent Bridge coming along?
Which one - struggling to think of one.

If you mean the one at the other side of Lady Bay Bridge next to River Crescent - absolutely zero visible process since last winter.
kevjs1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #6439
notts72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjs1982 View Post
Which one - struggling to think of one.

If you mean the one at the other side of Lady Bay Bridge next to River Crescent - absolutely zero visible process since last winter.
I assume he means Bridgford House. I've not seen any updates on it lately either.
notts72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #6440
Bingethink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,658
Likes (Received): 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by notts72 View Post
I assume he means Bridgford House. I've not seen any updates on it lately either.
Lots of glass in.
__________________

local_weasel liked this post
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
development summary

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Istanbul - Full Summary of Projects DrasQue Eastern Europe / Balkans 15 June 17th, 2006 05:50 PM
London - Full Summary of Projects 5 wjfox London Metro Area 502 January 27th, 2006 12:06 AM
London - Full Summary of Projects 3 Monkey London Metro Area 576 October 8th, 2005 02:11 AM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us