Projects & Discussion | SYDNEY | General Public Transport Thread - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #41
Dockside

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5star View Post
I wouldn't use Melboring as an example.. Completely F***k and useless.

I have endured disruptions in Sydneys public transport network, but nothing like I did yesterday in Melbourne.

Even the Monorail, poor old thing that it is, works better than what exists in Melbourne at the moment.

mx

More to the point:
You have no idea how to get about in Melbourne, as you have stated O soo many times , you dont use PT in Melbourne.....
Any fool knew the GP was on that day with mass changers to the PT system.
You are just toooo lazy to go and look up any of those changers, plus track work on the Sandy line (which was advertised) was anouther factar.

Just sux it up......
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM   #42
peetone
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
http://www.smh.com.au/national/lack-...0327-9e5l.html

Lack of light rail risks city's success:expert
This article to me basically highlights that if you want a city people will want to visit, invest in and generally be happy around - you need to make the city attractive: pedestrianise the environment, make it friendly for people to walk around in, with a transport system that backs this up (people friendly transport - not the car)
peetone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #43
Trunter

Likes (Received): 1

^ I realised the worst thing about Sydney is how anti-pedestrian it is. During special events like NYE and other festivals, the people own the streets, but on a normal day, if you press that button waiting to cross the road, you always have to wait for an overly long time. My overseas friend who came here noted that crossing the street was also something he didn't really like in Sydney simply because it took so long. But he didn't complain about the transport system which is understandable since Sydney's PT network is actually quite good despite what the nay-sayers, overly modest and grass-is-greener types choose to say.
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM   #44
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

It's been said that the private sector may be willing to put up some of the funding for new metro/rail lines. How and why would they be willing to do so? How would they earn a return on their investment? From property development over or near the new stations perhaps?
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #45
Trunter

^ Hopefully it doesn't emulate anything like the Airport Link with higher fares.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM   #46
Max Headway

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunter View Post
Sydney's PT network is actually quite good despite what the nay-sayers, overly modest and grass-is-greener types choose to say.
There are a lot of things done right in Sydney: near-total grade separation for rail, major shopping centres being built near a train station (and higher densities around stations), and generous operating hours (and frequencies on some State transit bus routes). Still a long way to go though, starting with a simple integrated ticketing system. And yes, pedestrian access is a crucial, and mostly overlooked, part of the public transport equation.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #47
Trunter

^ Indeed, I agree. Sadly the forces up above are preventing Sydney from maximising its true potential. I really wonder how long it's going to take until we finally create an integrated ticketing system that actually works.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM   #48
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 380

Perhaps my grandchildren will experience integrated ticketing!
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM   #49
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
^ I realised the worst thing about Sydney is how anti-pedestrian it is. During special events like NYE and other festivals, the people own the streets, but on a normal day, if you press that button waiting to cross the road, you always have to wait for an overly long time. My overseas friend who came here noted that crossing the street was also something he didn't really like in Sydney simply because it took so long. But he didn't complain about the transport system which is understandable since Sydney's PT network is actually quite good despite what the nay-sayers, overly modest and grass-is-greener types choose to say.
This is because Sydney's transport is run by the RTA and lights are set to favour car movements. The same thing happens with bus and tram priority which is quietly watered down from original settings.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM   #50
Max Headway

MILIUX: "Perhaps my grandchildren will experience integrated ticketing!"
If they move interstate or overseas, yes. But seriously, a decent public transport system is a fully integrated network, useful for various purposes. Not a mish-mash of different systems with different fare structures, operating hour ranges etc.

Last edited by Max Headway; April 3rd, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Max Headway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM   #51
Max Headway

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyworks View Post
This is because Sydney's transport is run by the RTA and lights are set to favour car movements. The same thing happens with bus and tram priority which is quietly watered down from original settings.
There's an advantage in fully-separated rights of way (e.g. light rail, busways).
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM   #52
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

ALP propose FREE public transport for Sydney

Nathan Rees is desparate for votes...

It will not happen, no matter what.

From The Daily Telegraph

Nathan Rees rides on free public transport election hope
By Joe Hildebrand

April 20, 2009 12:00am

PREMIER Nathan Rees is being urged from within his own government to make public transport free for everybody as part of a radical bid to win the next election.

The Daily Telegraph has also learned the Government is doing extensive modelling to make ticket prices fairer for outer suburban commuters if the free transport move does not go ahead.

If public transport were to be completely free it would cost the Government about $1 billion a year.

But fares only cover just more than a quarter of the $3.8 billion total cost of operating public transport.

The move could save hundreds of millions in staffing costs, ticket-machine operations and abolish the trouble-plagued smartcard.

Blacktown MP Paul Gibson had lobbied Mr Rees to consider the idea, and said yesterday it would take pressure off the roads, shore up Labor's western Sydney heartland and help win the green vote.

"Try another way to get cars off the road: free public transport," he told The Daily Telegraph.

"They're the sort of things where we've got to be different.

"They're the sort of things we've got to try."

Mr Gibson said Mr Rees had given him an undertaking to cost the proposal when he last raised it several weeks ago.

"Nathan said he would have it costed," Mr Gibson said.

It is understood the Government had not yet begun the analysis of a completely free-fare structure and Mr Rees was unlikely to back such a move at a time when the Budget was already in the red.

But the Government was modelling a variety of fare structures for more equitable prices

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM   #53
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 78

Now that is a radical idea!
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM   #54
Trunter

Why make it free? That's so radical. You may as well just make it all cheaper. Say, $1 for all modes of public transport or something.
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #55
Extare
exto, extare, extiti

Likes (Received): 56

Dropping the price by $1 would increase the burden on the government w/o decreasing staffing costs.
Extare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM   #56
Trunter

Well I guess if it's free, ticket inspectors would be made redundant. I think that's actually a good thing since they're usually cold heartless bastards with an attitude problem.

But then you'd probably get overcrowding on the network and probably get some unwanted people also..
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM   #57
Extare
exto, extare, extiti

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
But then you'd probably get overcrowding on the network and probably get some unwanted people also..
Public transport is already full of individuals without a car i.e. the poor, crazy and kids. What "unwanted" people would this attract?
Extare no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 02:04 AM   #58
deanh
Sexiest Creature

Likes (Received): 16

Leave it as it is. They're already complaining that its over crowded and then they want to dump more people on it? Also, doesn't the government want to create jobs, rather than cut them? Either way, I would rather Rees go and not be voted back in next time.

Quote:
Well I guess if it's free, ticket inspectors would be made redundant. I think that's actually a good thing since they're usually cold heartless bastards with an attitude problem.
Whilst that is true, in terms of you, how would you react if people treated you like shit during your shift?
deanh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM   #59
Trunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extare View Post
Public transport is already full of individuals without a car i.e. the poor, crazy and kids. What "unwanted" people would this attract?
I don't have a car (don't even have a licence), and I'm poor, probably crazy and still young. But I guess if it were free, I can't see this government actually increasing services, so it'll be the same network, only more congested. By unwanted people also, I wouldn't want to see trains become a beggars, drunken, gang point, or over-populated with annoying school children who are so loud in everything they do (talk, eat, you name it). But fortunately, I don't have this problem anymore since I catch a bus via Parramatta Road and I don't see so many school kids get on. I don't like to catch trains anymore anyway. They're always packed these days too so I'm always standing for 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanh
Whilst that is true, in terms of you, how would you react if people treated you like shit during your shift?
I would quit but that's just me. I want a job where I'm not only liked, but where I don't have to interrogate innocent people. (I've had bad experiences).
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM   #60
John_Proctor

Likes (Received): 564

this has been bought up in melbourne a couple of times over the last few years and their was a government report that basically said if you made it free the services would crash from overcrowding etc. and it would cost the government a fortune to run the system so it was a bad idea.

sounds like a good idea to me actually! the government should just run the system properly (in both Sydney and Melbourne).
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
maglev bus to caboolture, mandurahboyz