DARWIN - #UC: Waterfront Redevelopment - mixed use - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Northern Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #21
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 5999

the developers might give you $5 for making an effort!
nah jj, i like ya design its very original and futuristic!
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #22
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 620

I'd like to live in the tropics for a while while they build it... with all the money I'd make I could retire with homes in Trump Tower - NYC, A pad on the peak HK and a waterfront mansion on the North Shore - Sydney.

I'm sure that $5 will go a long way to securing my future haha
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #23
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 311

It's nice, it's different, it's unusual.

But then again, anything would be an improvement for Darwin.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 24th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #24
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 21743

from mondays fin review>
After a 10 year wait a decision on the blueprint for redeveloping Darwins waterfront is expected in September!
With transcontinental railway in place and planned gas pipeline being built the final stage of the city ambitious infrastructure drive- the $600mil reconstruction of citys historic waterfront is about to begin!
The first stage will be $90mil 1500 seat convention centre and resi & commercial developments.Clearing the 25 hectare site which is 1.5km along wateffront has begun with some port tanks removed.
the project will take 10-15 years!
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #25
Blend

Likes (Received): 4

nice. The city will undergo an amazing transformation form this. 10-15 years, wow!
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #26
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2486

just looking at the pics of darwins buildings... have developers and architechs actually designed the new buildings any differently to accomadate for high winds in cyclones? i allways thought they should build all the buildings in darwin in a pyramid shape... being the strongest shape for structures
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #27
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2346

The masterplan Cul was talking about is out. Looks like big highrises on the right there.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #28
andy77aus

Likes (Received): 1

That looks really cool it would do a alot for Darwin. I used to go fishing off those warves and catch travaley, mackeral and all sorts of other fish. It will certainly be a good fishing spot.
andy77aus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #29
CULWULLA

fantastic. look how high they are 20-30 storeys!! i wonder whats going to happen with the oil tanks behind? is area contaminated? the views and smells wont be too nice.
overall looks like a nice design
Church Hill tower- 1797, Macquarie Tower-1818, St James Church -1822, Garden Palace- 1879, Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2021, twin towers- 2024, supertall 2025 https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #30
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danubis
just looking at the pics of darwins buildings... have developers and architechs actually designed the new buildings any differently to accomadate for high winds in cyclones? i allways thought they should build all the buildings in darwin in a pyramid shape... being the strongest shape for structures
yes im sure post 75 there are requirements for stronger frames ect. maybe reinforced concrete would be a start. window panels would need to be set in powerful framing. roof would be tileless.

heres some picx of Cyclone Tracys devastation

i guess where not i kansas anymore toto.

faaarK

cars in pool at Travelodge

The 10storey MLC and Travelodge seemed to stand up ok to cyclone

Also T&G. i wonder the 6st uc coped. especially the crane?
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #31
Gertzy
Lacking an Akubra!

Likes (Received): 1

That's what Townsville's Rail Yards Development is supposed to look like apparantly.
Old October 8th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #32
Galactic Ruler

the masterplan look disgusting so lacking in vision and what is that crap oval turtle thing... grose!
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #33
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 5999

don't judge it from that 1 crappy render.
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #34
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 2346

If you go to the web site at http://www.waterfront.nt.gov.au/ there is some more information. In particular this pdf
http://www.otd.nt.gov.au/dcm/otd/pub...Masterplan.pdf

The "crap oval turtle thing" is a convention and exhibition centre and I don't remember ever seeing any exhibition centres that look good from the air (Melbourne and Cairns come to mind as particularly bad ones) but that isn't what counts I suppose. Also included in stage 1 is swimming lagoon.

What I find weird is that sea wall fencing off most of the harbour - it must open because there appears to be marina berths inside.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #35
Blend

Likes (Received): 4

avatar. Eben tho ur giant skytower wasnt included u must admit it is a giant improvement.
Blend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #36
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Are they going to make a special area for luxury cruise ships? that seems to be the go everywhere at the moment?!
Old October 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #37
Galactic Ruler

Nah i don't like the disjointed nature of their buildings and that oval thing is just grotesque. All the structures have no balance or direction, there is no focus it just like they grabbed some lego blocks and dropped them on a map.

Yes I will give a 5 YO a bunch of buildings and they can arrange something equally as disturbing i'd bet.
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #38
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
Nah i don't like the disjointed nature of their buildings and that oval thing is just grotesque. All the structures have no balance or direction, there is no focus it just like they grabbed some lego blocks and dropped them on a map.

Yes I will give a 5 YO a bunch of buildings and they can arrange something equally as disturbing i'd bet.

wasnt that robin gibsons arguement for all his southbank designs in brisbane?
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #39
finn

Likes (Received): 2899

Some more news and renderings on this project:

Waterfront Go Ahead
The $1.1 Billion Darwin Waterfront and Convention Centre has been given the go ahead with financial close achieved on Monday 9 May.

Chief Minister, Clare Martin, said construction work on the Waterfront project would start immediately and provide a major boost for the local job market.

Ms Martin said Territory businesses will reap the major benefits from the project with approximately 1000 jobs created and an 85% local content component guaranteed in the project contracts.

"The Waterfront and Convention and Exhibition Centre is a visionary project that will create local jobs, drive economic growth and boost our great Territory lifestyle," she said.

The development will include three main elements and will be staged over 15 years. It will include:

The Darwin Convention and Exhibition Centre, with a 1500-seat capacity and 4000sq metres of exhibition space, Community facilities including seawall, wave pool, swimming areas, public promenade, parklands and picnic areas, Commercial developments, including a Medina hotel, harbour side cafes and restaurants and a staged residential development.

On this website you can review the draft plan and gain access to the news room , you can read about the history and heritage of the site or look at project details relating to the environment or the Darwin Convention & Exhibition Centre. You can even have your say by completing the on-line feedback form.

Draft masterplan - Stage 1:

Masterplan with city view:

Convention Centre by day:

Convention Centre by night:

View from escarpment:

Large masterplan model view - some big towers in there!!

finn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #40
CULWULLA

Darwin truly keeps amazing me. it really is taking off now. I noticed a few 25storey bldgs at the right. look at that sea wall? its a great idea to keep a "safe pool" near resorts. let it begin!
cheers finn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement