San José Development News - Page 1256 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM   #25101
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubuk View Post

I would argue that this being Silicon Valley, and it's storied place in the planet's economy, it's very much worth preserving things
I would argue that's not a dichotomy. We can both protect our history and pursue development.

ryynoo, SJNewKid liked this post
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #25102
dirt patch

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubuk View Post
> One of the main issues is NIMBYism, and people who hold up development over nickel-and-dime issues, like historical significance. If a property really is historically significant, that’s fine, but if a claim of historical significance is just a way to slow down politicians and development, I have a problem with that. I don’t think many people are flying into San Jose just to go admire the historic buildings.

Source https://www.bisnow.com/silicon-valle...-market-103064

I would argue that this being Silicon Valley, and it's storied place in the planet's economy, it's very much worth preserving things like:
  • The building the microchip was invented
    The building the hard-drive was invented
    The garage HP started
    The house Apple started
    Etc.

I know the above are already set aside (or going to be), but this is important to our collective history here. And I'm not saying we should be like New England where everywhere George Washington slept or visited can't be altered or torn down...just saying there are some key parts to our unique history that need to be preserved.

(Steps off soap box)
Now let's build on some of those surface parking lots downtown!
Let's declare war on surface lots. Downtown doesn't need them at all. Get em all built.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #25103
Sharkcity

Likes (Received): 1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyjoe View Post
Boston Properties just took over the Platform 16 office complex. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that Google is leasing the whole complex. I would have been happy to hear that years ago, but now it's just becoming obnoxious.

I would rather have young San Jose based companies leasing the space than the monstrosity from Mountain View. All of our tax dollars are just going to go more & more to subsidizing these "LOW PAY" people like the teachers you refer to & dealing with the homeless.

And last I read, these companies are not exactly the "envy of everywhere on earth" anymore. Google, Facebook & the lot are now vilified almost daily in media throughout the world.

I guess it was just way more interesting in the old Silicon Valley days...
Heavy on assumptions, straw men, rose colored nostalgia...light on facts. Silicon Valley has always had flaws and always will just like every human settlement. San Jose has many home grown companies and at least they aren’t collapsing.

CTA25 liked this post
Sharkcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #25104
siliconvalleyjoe

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
So you don't want Google to move to San Jose? I'm not sure of how to digest your statement...

I mean, if there's anything to complain about regarding expansion of jobs, the complaints should be directed to the villages surrounding San Jose, and not San Jose itself.

In terms of jobs, we still got a long way to go to measure up proportionally to the villages around us. Even if we were able to fill up all the under-construction and planned office spaces (including Google's Downtown West) with workers, it will still not be enough for San Jose, proportionally.
Google isn't moving to San Jose. They're staying & expanding in Mountain View & remaining a Mountain View based company. San Jose is just one of many satellite campuses. I would have a different opinion if they moved their headquarters here, just for the huge tax, prestige & executive shift to SJ that would create.

I agree with your complaints about "the villages". I'm not opposed to Google adding jobs in San Jose, but would rather have San Jose based new companies like Zoom or different entities, even Tesla, come into the city & provide more job diversity. Why do you want to be a surf of the "villages?" That's what we become when Mountain View's Google (the worst offender in the housing imbalance) just uses the city to create more wealth for its stronghold in Mordor, urh Peninsula.

We have to be careful of what we wish for. If you look honestly at the problem, you can conclude that these massive satellite campuses (Google now has 4 major sites they are contemplating for San Jose, IN ADDITION to the others up north) only add to the massive problems we are creating for ourselves.
siliconvalleyjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #25105
siliconvalleyjoe

Likes (Received): 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphelion2100 View Post

Looks like this will delay the new hotel for awhile until some type of settlement is reached. It'll be interesting to see how accommodating the developers of the proposed Marriott Moxy hotel will be to any type of settlement in this case. It looks like the law firm they hired has had some success in this type of lawsuit:
There's a good solution to all this. Lew Wolf & company should offer to buy the DeAnza & incorporate it into the new hotel. They could shift the lobby to the DeAnza section & build a small garage where the outdoor patio now sits on the DeAnza side. This would free up the lower level on the new section for a bar & restaurant or breakfast area for guests. Win-win.

KJO, flubuk, jawz, CAAndrew, CTA25 liked this post
siliconvalleyjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #25106
CAAndrew

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconvalleyjoe View Post
I'm not opposed to Google adding jobs in San Jose, but would rather have San Jose based new companies like Zoom or different entities, even Tesla, come into the city & provide more job diversity. Why do you want to be a surf of the "villages?" That's what we become when Mountain View's Google (the worst offender in the housing imbalance) just uses the city to create more wealth for its stronghold in Mordor, urh Peninsula.
Obviously, tech diversity would be great, but I'm not about to have the ideal be the enemy of good enough.

For SJ, Google is a means to an end--tax revenue.

And, DTSJ at least has/is on track to have PT that's beyond anything on the peninsula or in the north county; if any location can handle the flows of employees at the lowest cost/person for new infra--and get the most net benefit per person--it'll be DTSJ.

SanJoseBorn, flubuk liked this post
CAAndrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #25107
SanJoseBorn

The vote on the Kade development at 292 Stockton takes place today at the San Jose City Council meeting. This dual hotel/residence will be another great add to the burgeoning area near Whole Foods. The renderings/plans can be found online. See Section 10.2, page 29 of 32 of the linked Council Agendas (which then have separate Attachment hotlinks inside those links). The plans do take a little while to load.

https://sanjose.legistar.com/Departm...5A8A90&Search=

Interesting that the residential units will all be on the top floor (and with separate elevator access), but four of those units actually span 2 floors - they go down to the 8th floor. There's no entry access on that floor, as you can't have the hotel units (303 total) and private units (19 total) have the same ingress and egress (is probably a City Ordinance thing).

Probably a slam dunk that this project approval will pass and then (soon) get started. There's also something in Tuesday's Council Agenda about amending the Zoning for "Supergraphic Signs" in the Urban Mixed Use Sign Development Zone (allows for skyline signs). If so, seems like great news all around.

Last edited by SanJoseBorn; Today at 02:41 AM.
SanJoseBorn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 AM   #25108
dirt patch

If you folks like more infill high rise buildings downtown: invite Pinnacle International-They build multiple towers regardless of local market conditions in Downtown San Diego, Vancouver, Toronto and others. Construction/labor costs are not issues with the development firm.

Last edited by dirt patch; Today at 05:17 AM.
dirt patch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
san josé