The Forum | Former Planet Ice | Pershore Street | Residential | 11fl | 33m | Comp. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1021

The Forum | Former Planet Ice | Pershore Street | Residential | 11fl | 33m | Comp.

Pershore Street
City Center

Height: TBC | Floors: 12 | Client/Architects: Bouygues / Corstorphine Wright

Links: http://=http://www.corstorphine-wrig...holloway-head/
  • Corstorphine + Wright was appointed to prepare a feasibility report for the development of a residential led scheme on the site of the SilverBlades Ice Rink on Pershore Street in central Birmingham.

The proposed scheme included 3,397 sq ft of commercial space and 336 new apartments, comprising 67 two bed and 269 one bed units.

Commercial space has been incorporated into the ground level of the two main fašades to provide active frontages, with flexibility to increased this if demand were to grow following redevelopment of the adjacent sites to the scheme.

Amenity spaces have been integrated into the designs on the upper ground floor, with courtyards for resident use and a south facing terrace overlooking what will be Bromsgrove Street.

• Current status: Approved / Demolition Underway

Last edited by belfastuniguy; December 16th, 2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Requested
woodhousen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

This should be quite visible on the skyline then. Moat Lane car park is quite a dominator in front of the Bullring and this one's going to be equal or taller than it in height! I especially like the curved bit!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #3
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

I iver overed whether to create a thread for it. Should have done.

Here are a few more pic from the application.

Here is how it is due to fit in with prospective wider markets redevelopment.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 560

Very nice. Good height
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #5
wolvolad

Likes (Received): 1

Looks kinda boring 2 me.
wolvolad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #6
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2140

Looks good - that planning of the streets is very similar to one Brummie forumer's idea on the Digbeth thread. It might have been UV.
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #7
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
Looks good - that planning of the streets is very similar to one Brummie forumer's idea on the Digbeth thread. It might have been UV.
Yes, we did get a very similar mock-up from a forumer a while back, don't recall who. Good to see that they plan to keep in line with the surrounding street patterns, should help it to integrate with the surroundings.
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #8
mk61
Yep

Likes (Received): 86

Reading the documents, that seems to me to be a notional conceivable masterplanning for the site, not one representative of any specific proposal. It's just there to illustrate a point made in the application.
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #9
feltip

n.b. that street design ^ is based on the principle that any redevelopment will follow street reintroduction as followed in other cities. There is at the moment no design for the exact street layout. Based on the masterplan and opportunity this area poses to link several areas of the city together I expect and hope it will be very well designed.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

are those two gateways into another dimentions?

Bit bland, much better than what's there now, nice to see streets coming back to, err the streets of South Central Birmingham!
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Nacho

Likes (Received): 292

I think it suits the area well and it's a fair size too.I wonder if that car park will receive a bit of attention in the future .
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #12
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by smysticed View Post
Yes, we did get a very similar mock-up from a forumer a while back, don't recall who. Good to see that they plan to keep in line with the surrounding street patterns, should help it to integrate with the surroundings.
T'was me

Not claiming any influence or originality i think the similarity between my proposed design and this indicated Masterplan (even if it is also unofficial) shows quite how straight forward and obviously the right thing to do in reinstating the original street pattern.

They seem to like the idea of a central open space to the redevelopment as i do.

CSJ Brooke Smith

Engels (and MS Paint)

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #13
Engels
Simples

Btw. this building is ok

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Old November 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1612

I like it
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #15
liberty57

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think this do any harm to this area at all, it will increase the density around this area and along with the developments on Bromsgrove st. will increase the livliness of the area. The designs don't indicate whats happening at street level, hope the ground floor will be retail and expand China Town.
Anyone know what happened to the ice rink though that was planned underneath this 2 years ago? The plan at the time seemed really attractive in terms of the offer made to the council for schools to utilise it, and simply bringing back an ice rink to brum, I think the skater Wilf O'Rielly was in on it, but the planners didn't seem interested at all!
liberty57 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #16
feltip

Good news Liberty. Look at the floor plan and look at ground level

An Ice Rink

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #17
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

OH MY GOD!!!

I love this! It just looks classy and it is good to see this has been done in consultation with the planners - it might actually get through now

Thanks for the posts guys

Nice height, building Pershore St up toward the Bullring.

This area, with i-land, Latitude and Southside, is developing its own identity in terms of building appearance
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #18
Engels
Simples

feltip is right there is a basement ice rink.. good spot.

This has immediately improved imo, i thought it was 'just' another resi buildings.

Old November 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #19
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1612

Wow theres an ice rink I did not realise that, this has now changed my opinion from like, to fantastic idea. Bout time we had another permanent ice rink. God us lot should have figured this out straight away, its called planet ice for gods sake.
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #20
Engels
Simples

I just assumed Woody was giving it that title as it was the site of the former ice rink. I really should read the detail more. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement