JAPAN | Railways - Page 121 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2019, 02:21 AM   #2401
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
It is only 300 m long and the two stations are just 100 m apart as the crow flies. They could replace it with a simple pedestrian bridge on a more direct route, or maybe build a new monorail or aerial ropeway between more distant points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ueno_Zoo_Monorail

https://www.google.ch/maps/place/Uen...!4d139.7713177

I agree - although cute, the Ueno monorail always seemed extremely pointless to me. I'm sure the park would look much better with some high quality pedestrian infrastructure instead.
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2019, 11:03 AM   #2402
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
I agree - although cute, the Ueno monorail always seemed extremely pointless to me. I'm sure the park would look much better with some high quality pedestrian infrastructure instead.

When it was built, it was the only monorail in Japan and used to show off the technology. It’s historically significant because it became the reason for Japan’s other monorails that actually work in transit situations to run. There’s been talk of extending it somehow to act as a people mover around Ueno Park in the same manner the Tokyo Disneyland monorail shuttles people around different parks and hotels, but nothing concrete ever came out of it. Would be a great use of a historical landmark though.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 04:36 PM   #2403
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 907

I know of the steep section of the Usui Pass, but looking on Google Maps between Karuizawa and Yokokawa there was also a double tube railway tunnel I cannot find mentioned on Wikipedia. What is that?

There is also what seems to be a heritage railway west of Yokokawa along the path of the old main railway, and this track is still connected to the Usui Pass tunnels. Again, does anyone know more about this tunnel and the heritage operation?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; January 31st, 2019 at 04:48 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 11:32 PM   #2404
rogerfarnworth

Likes (Received): 42

I hope to produce a short series of short posts over the next little while which look at some of the 2ft 6in track-gauge railway in Japan. This is the first. The Kurobe Gorge Railway is both as tourist railway and a supply line to the hydroelectric power stations along the Kurobe River Gorge.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/30...-gorge-railway

Coccodrillo, Milkmaster, rafaelbretas liked this post

Last edited by rogerfarnworth; February 17th, 2019 at 12:07 AM.
rogerfarnworth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 03:14 AM   #2405
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I know of the steep section of the Usui Pass, but looking on Google Maps between Karuizawa and Yokokawa there was also a double tube railway tunnel I cannot find mentioned on Wikipedia. What is that?

There is also what seems to be a heritage railway west of Yokokawa along the path of the old main railway, and this track is still connected to the Usui Pass tunnels. Again, does anyone know more about this tunnel and the heritage operation?
The first route over Usui used Abt Rack technology. There is film on Youtube of it, especially the last days, which came after WWII (so there IS color footage!).

Both alignments followed the same basic route. A very steep initial climb followed by a (relatively) gentler one passing through a series of short tunnels. Over the years, there was some realignment, I believe. And some of the bores for the post-WWII alignment are parallel single-track.

While the Abt line has been torn up for a long time (and it is now a trail), the adhesion route is still largely intact. The grass is being allowed to grow, and part of the initial stretch has had one track basically paved over. But I suspect that in an emergency the line could be reactivated on the most basic level within about 100 hours. Just about all of the poles, wires, and tracks are still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerfarnworth View Post
I hope to produce a short series of short posts over the next little while which look at some of the 2ft 6in track-gauge railway in Japan. This is the first. The Kurobe Gorge Railway is both as tourist railway and a supply line to the hydroelectric power stations along the Kurobe River Gorge.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/01/30...-gorge-railway
Yay!!! Thank you very much. I just checked the link, and it is a well-designed post with lots of neat pictures. I'm looking forward to more!
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:08 AM   #2406
rogerfarnworth

The Kiso Forest Railways - Part A

This next post provides an introduction to the Logging Railways in the Kiso Forest. Only a short tourist railway now remains of what was once a very large system of 762mm lines. I am currently working on a short survey of one of the lines which made up the network.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/02/11...railway-part-a

rafaelbretas liked this post
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:12 AM   #2407
rogerfarnworth

The Kiso Forest Railways - Part B

This post covers one of the main logging railway networks in the Kiso Valley. ... The Otaki Forest Railway.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/02/16...forest-railway

rafaelbretas liked this post
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #2408
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Seibu 001 series "Laview"

Limited Express "Laview" is ready to run on the Seibu Ikebukuro and Seibu Chichiby Lines from 16 march. The new 8 car train will replace the 1000 series “New Red Arrow” Limited Express that has been running since 1993, and will become the flagship train for Seibu Railways.

The name “Laview” was announced in October for the new 001 series express train, and was explained then as “L” for luxury, “a” for arrow-like speed, and “view” because of the train’s extra-large windows.

Designed by renowned architect Kazuyo Sejima, the new train is meant to “move seamlessly between urban and rural environments and adapt to each landscape”. A fleet of 48 cars (8 cars per train) is under construction by Hitachi.

Inside the yellow sofa-like seating is designed to create the feeling of being in your own comfortable living room. All seats have electrical outlets and passengers can view in-carriage video screens which will show newscasts, weather updates and occasional footage from the front of the train. Free Wi-Fi will be available throughout the train. For the benefit of group travelers, pairs of seats can be revolved to face each other. For that reason, seats will also have armrest tables as well as pull-down tables on seat backs.

Other unique features on the Laview include artificial marble flooring in the entryways, wheelchair spaces, and multipurpose toilets. There will also be ladies-exclusive powder rooms in carriage 5. These restrooms will be fitted with magnifying mirrors, and also diaper changing boards with changing sheets provided.

More photos:
https://travel.watch.impress.co.jp/d...s/1169918.html

Source:
https://www.japanstation.com/seibu-r...kazuyo-sejima/

Tokyo MX News report:

From a popular tetsudo girl, the presentation:

And from the official channel, a TV CM:

Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement