RIVER OF LIFE KUALA LUMPUR DEVELOPMENTS | General News, Pictures & Updates - Page 56 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Countdown to 2020

Countdown to 2020 new projects, proposals, under-construction updates and news of developments & construction projects.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #1101
jeff87

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by byong_sun View Post

if u go to let say Cuba and u see a downgraded version of KLCC,will that make u feel like home?tourist go to other countries because they want to see what other countries have that they dont have back home.
this umbrella topic is about our head of authorities try to be smart when they are not.they should let the actual smart ppl to do it.
Agreed.
jeff87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #1102
daeng_jal

Likes (Received): 2164

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNNG View Post
Actually they building those for what? shelter to the sun and rain? Also i can foresee some plastic bag, plastic cup, water bottle, leaf, cigarette head, lots of bird poo scattered on top of the roof and the roof will look yellowish with many dark water stain. Not practical in wet and humid weather.

I hope people won't call it bird poo trap collector in future with many bird's poo on it.

If they want to copy... i would rather they copy singapore's garden by the bay tree.... at least it looks more appealing.

pretty sure it's to provide extra praying area particularly on friday prayers.
most mosque in KL CBD are not big enough to cater for it. even in klcc ,after the expension and extra khemah installed every week sometimes i often prayed on the grass with an "open sky" on top.

anyway what other options is there? the G could extend the mosque but it would make the mosque more expensive, uglier and less original

so the payung is pretty much an obvious choice. sure they could try something new or a not to ugly version of its. so what's if it's look like the one is medina. it's not like we purposely built it to replicate it. we choose it because the very similar use case scenario. and if the medina solution works why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work? just to be "unique" for the sake of being "unique"? sometimes that's line of thinking has bites us on the bottoms for to many time already.like wanting a maglev monorails instead of the "sure to work" LRT/BRT will likely not end well.

silverian86, Izzz, weis23 liked this post
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 07:06 PM   #1103
al-numbers

Likes (Received): 1902

Good point. Friday prayers are often the times when mosques are at their most crowded. The upcoming MRT's and RoL would probably add more to the throng.

...if it's too much to ask, can they alter the umbrellas to have a more localized design, like the umbrellas of the royal families?

It can sunshade worshipers and tourists while also showcasing Malay-Indian/Mughal culture (which also uses umbrellas in royal regalia).

anordinarymouse, daeng_jal, weis23 liked this post

Last edited by al-numbers; October 8th, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
al-numbers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #1104
FNNG

Likes (Received): 3044

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeng_jal View Post
most mosque in KL CBD are not big enough to cater for it. even in klcc ,after the expension and extra khemah installed every week sometimes i often prayed on the grass with an "open sky" on top.

anyway what other options is there? the G could extend the mosque but it would make the mosque more expensive, uglier and less original

so the payung is pretty much an obvious choice. sure they could try something new or a not to ugly version of its. so what's if it's look like the one is medina. it's not like we purposely built it to replicate it. we choose it because the very similar use case scenario. and if the medina solution works why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work? just to be "unique" for the sake of being "unique"? sometimes that's line of thinking has bites us on the bottoms for to many time already.like wanting a maglev monorails instead of the "sure to work" LRT/BRT will likely not end well.
If you pay $1 million to copy Medina's design and build this umbrella as shelter then you could use that same $1million to get a totally different design structure and have the same function.

Its just like when Malaysia started to build KLCC, why don't we just straight away copy New york's World Trade Centre since it works well at there ? If we just copy their tower and add few more metre on it then we will still get the title of world's tallest building, world tallest twin building, world class office, iconic building and all the function will be the same as current KLCC. Why we choose another design instead?

I guess why this "umbrella" got so much attention is because Masjid Jamek is one of the iconic and historic building in KL. If this umbrella structure were build in some not so famous small and new mosque then i am sure no people will say anything about it.

The person who decide this umbrella thing is trying to blend two non-related building together without taking into consideration of the history, culture and art of this mosque.

I guess its too late for us to say anything since this umbrella is almost complete. I think in future every tourist that visit Masjid Jamek will say "hey ! look they copy the umbrella from Medini and build it here." Those people will not notice about the beauty of Masjid Jamek as they will only remember Malaysia copy some middle east mosque design. They might even think we copy the whole design and Masjid Jamek is actually a middle east replica. LOL
Old October 9th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #1105
byong_sun

Likes (Received): 1194

Quote:
the "G" could?the "G" is already done that.
byong_sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #1106
byong_sun

Quote:
the extra khemah is temporary.when they build a permanent one using same umbrella then u can relate it to make it relevant.

Quote:
if u put smart ppl to decide,there will be many option,less expensive,more pleasant to the eyes and definitely very original.

Quote:
so the payung is pretty much an obvious choice.
says "G" hardcore supporters

Quote:
sure they could try something new or a not to ugly version of its.
if they r transparent,they can actually build a better version and we wont complain.

Quote:
so what's if it's look like the one is medina. it's not like we purposely built it to replicate it.
we?ok,anyway,it is purposely built to replicate it,just like the palm shaped resort in selangor which is replicated from the one in dubai.

Quote:
we choose it because the very similar use case scenario. and if the medina solution works why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work?
Medina is Medina.this is KL.there are no monsoon rain in Medina.do u think those umbrella can keep the Jemaah dry when heavy monsoon rain comes while they are praying?do u see how tall those umbrella are?and what do u mean by doing something new?replicating from others is not new.

Quote:
just to be "unique" for the sake of being "unique"?
when Medina built it its unique.when we copy-cat it its not.

Quote:
sometimes that's line of thinking has bites us on the bottoms for to many time already.
u should tell this to ur "G".seriously they need to hear it.

Quote:
like wanting a maglev monorails instead of the "sure to work" LRT/BRT will likely not end well.
not everything that the "G" r doing we dont approve.we are not Vince.im sure most us here just being rational.this is not about politic.this is a matter of bad decision by certain head of authority.

Kadzman liked this post
Old October 9th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #1107
byong_sun

if only we knew how much does these umbrella cost.

Last edited by byong_sun; October 9th, 2016 at 03:06 AM.
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #1108
azey
Maintenant ou Jamais

Location: Paris,Londres,Milano,Italia, Marrakech,Portofino,Venise, Barcelone,Malaisie, Florence
Likes (Received): 1725

Quote:

whatttttttt??? Daeng Jal is malay muslim????i tot only chinese got fierce attitude??!!....dude ur very intimidating

daeng_jal liked this post
azey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #1109
byong_sun

daeng is a great guy actually

atmapgnew liked this post
Old October 9th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #1110
byong_sun

Quote:
why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work?
sorry i misunderstood u the first time.why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work?well,if u put unprofessional,kaki bodek and a kaki songlap duit,to do the job,surely there will be a possibility of it might or might not work.i like when u use the term why bother.its so malayish.(im a malay,so its not racist to talk about my own race).let me ask u DJ,how long do u think the umbrellas in Medina would last and how long can ours last?
Old October 9th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #1111
chuakz

Likes (Received): 43

I like it but a bit worrying if they plan to raise the river level. Hope that they got the engineering right this time round with the flood mitigation.
chuakz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #1112
daeng_jal

Quote:
Originally Posted by azey View Post
whatttttttt??? Daeng Jal is malay muslim????i tot only chinese got fierce attitude??!!....dude ur very intimidating
great granma chinese though
probably get the bad temper from my bugis grandad

azey liked this post
daeng_jal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #1113
daeng_jal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNNG View Post
If you pay $1 million to copy Medina's design and build this umbrella as shelter then you could use that same $1million to get a totally different design structure and have the same function.

Its just like when Malaysia started to build KLCC, why don't we just straight away copy New york's World Trade Centre since it works well at there ? If we just copy their tower and add few more metre on it then we will still get the title of world's tallest building, world tallest twin building, world class office, iconic building and all the function will be the same as current KLCC. Why we choose another design instead?

I guess why this "umbrella" got so much attention is because Masjid Jamek is one of the iconic and historic building in KL. If this umbrella structure were build in some not so famous small and new mosque then i am sure no people will say anything about it.

The person who decide this umbrella thing is trying to blend two non-related building together without taking into consideration of the history, culture and art of this mosque.

I guess its too late for us to say anything since this umbrella is almost complete. I think in future every tourist that visit Masjid Jamek will say "hey ! look they copy the umbrella from Medini and build it here." Those people will not notice about the beauty of Masjid Jamek as they will only remember Malaysia copy some middle east mosque design. They might even think we copy the whole design and Masjid Jamek is actually a middle east replica. LOL
masjid jamek in itself is moghul though.

don't think payung is a problem as payung has been overused here for a long time, you'll could see it at masjid negara, masjid shah alam, klcc and masjid putra where the tiang is shaped like a payung. shah alam and masjid negara even has payung with half transparency for middle courtyards.

so it's not even weird. anyway a contrast is to me a far respectable approach. it's like the glass pyramid in paris. a whole lot better then the iskandariah palace or abu bakar mosque new wings that eventhough the extension is quite similar but you'll could see the minute difference that boils my OCD bloods

personally i'm not a very creative person. i don't really know what they gonna put there to be creative and still functional at the same time. we already did giant tree of garden by the bay at klcc mosque. and it's been leaking for as long as i remember

you'll could say the burj khalifa is a good imitation of klcc, that's is pretty much the shapes that's efficient for the task at hands. i.e. built the tallest that's possibly and feasibility can without not much regards for interior spaces. (WTC are built to maximize rentable spaces). some indonesian does say PTT is a maling of borobudur. not that's i cared much as the builders of borobudur is the sylendra, part of sivijaya and forefathers of malayapura which then established melaka that's itself the foundation of malaysia.
Old October 9th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #1114
daeng_jal

Quote:
Originally Posted by byong_sun View Post
sorry i misunderstood u the first time.why bother thinking too hard doing something new that could or could not work?well,if u put unprofessional,kaki bodek and a kaki songlap duit,to do the job,surely there will be a possibility of it might or might not work.i like when u use the term why bother.its so malayish.(im a malay,so its not racist to talk about my own race).let me ask u DJ,how long do u think the umbrellas in Medina would last and how long can ours last?

any new design carries with it risk. you'll know like the hissing iphone and exploding samsung this year or like the hearse tower? i remember natgeo says they secretly retrofit it after completions as they found it unsafe

anyway thought AECOM are responsible for ROL?
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #1115
byong_sun

when u design something and ensure for it last long condition,its normal and yes there are always unexpected risks but very unlikely,unless again,if u hired unprofessional ppl to desgn it.what has become a problem with this umbrella thing is that we all know it wont last long.it is ridiculously decided by a head of authority who only finding ways to spend money.how much money does these umbrella need for maintenance?how much are these umbrellas to start with?why cant just build something that more effective?u said these umbrellas are for the Jemaah during the Friday prayer.theres a big gap between the umbrellas and the Mesjid.what happened when theres a rain?as u know saf must be continuous.the umbrellas are also so tall,definitely cant curb heavy rain from reaching the Jemaah.so how does this works?if let say the umbrellas arent meant for the Jemaah,since its far away from practicality,then it must be for decoration.probably a small park.still doesnt make sense when they can build something concrete that can last longer with minimal cost for maintenance and yet they decided to build an over cost-temporary quality-copycat design umbrellas that need more money for maintenance.
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #1116
byong_sun

Quote:
masjid jamek in itself is moghul though.

don't think payung is a problem as payung has been overused here for a long time, you'll could see it at masjid negara, masjid shah alam, klcc and masjid putra where the tiang is shaped like a payung. shah alam and masjid negara even has payung with half transparency for middle courtyards.

so it's not even weird. anyway a contrast is to me a far respectable approach. it's like the glass pyramid in paris. a whole lot better then the iskandariah palace or abu bakar mosque new wings that eventhough the extension is quite similar but you'll could see the minute difference that boils my OCD bloods

personally i'm not a very creative person. i don't really know what they gonna put there to be creative and still functional at the same time. we already did giant tree of garden by the bay at klcc mosque. and it's been leaking for as long as i remember

you'll could say the burj khalifa is a good imitation of klcc, that's is pretty much the shapes that's efficient for the task at hands. i.e. built the tallest that's possibly and feasibility can without not much regards for interior spaces. (WTC are built to maximize rentable spaces). some indonesian does say PTT is a maling of borobudur. not that's i cared much as the builders of borobudur is the sylendra, part of sivijaya and forefathers of malayapura which then established melaka that's itself the foundation of malaysia.
u r drifting.....
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #1117
byong_sun

Quote:
great granma chinese though
probably get the bad temper from my bugis grandad
read between the lines DJ
Old October 10th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #1118
Bourgandy
Bourgandy

Likes (Received): 688

Whatever it is, we still copy those design from Medina. and it is sucks to have the lovely view of our Masjid Jamek to be spoilt with those umbrellas.

I think Mughal+Malay style umbrella fits in well over there juxtaposing with the masjid architectural style. I can assure you that malaysian critical thinking in design is not as critical like those westerners/europeans.

dengilo liked this post
Bourgandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #1119
nazrey

Likes (Received): 15703

superman was here by -yangkuo-
Alor Setar, Ipoh, Johor Bahru, Kangar, Kota Bahru, Kota Kinabalu, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu, Kuching, Seremban, Shah Alam, etc!
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #1120
atmapgnew

Likes (Received): 2795

Wonder what will happen to that 'big metal globe', to the left of the pic ???
atmapgnew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kuala lumpur