Camden, NJ: Downtown - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic

Northeast and MidAtlantic DC, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, VT, NH, MA, ME
» Development News | Baltimore / Washington, D.C. | Buffalo / Niagara Falls | New Jersey | New York City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 5373

Camden, NJ: Downtown

Camden is a city on the Delaware River, and is the seat of Camden County. Camden developed first as a ferry crossing to Philadelphia. Three crossings carried travellers across the Delaware River from in or near what is now Downtown. In 1773, Downtown Camden was laid out as the settlement of Camden by Jacob Cooper. Cooper laid out lots in an area with present-day Cooper Street at the northern boundary, and present-day Arch Street as the suothern boundary. The site was named after Charles Platt, Earl of Camden, who Cooper was friends with.

Camden was incorporated in 1828 as Cooper's Ferry, and was renamed Camden in 1829. In 1844, Camden County was formed from Gloucester County, and Camden was named the county seat over Long-A-Coming, now Berlin, in 1848.

Industry took root in Camden in the 1800s, due to proximity to Phildelphia and access to the Delaware River and the smaller Cooper River. The first industries also located here to take advantage of ferries and stagecoach routes that spread out into New Jersey. Over time, Camden was the home to cigar factories, canneries, recording equipment, soap, and other industries.

The old Cooper Branch Free Public Library, on Cooper Street in front of Johnson Park. The structure was built in 1918 and is now the Walt Whitman Cultural Arts Center.

Buildings on Cooper Street. The Dr. Henry Genet Taylor House is on the right.

Camden City Hall, between Market Street and Federal Street. City Hall was built in 1931 and is 371 feet tall.

Camden County Hall of Justice, on 5th Street. The complex was built in 1982 and serves as the courthouse for the county.

First Camden National Bank & Trust Company building, on Cooper Street. The structure was built in 1927 and will be the home of Rowan University at Camden.

Old houses on Cooper Street.

Hotel Plaza, on Cooper Street. The hotel was built in 1928.

Buildings on Cooper Street. The Pierre Apartments, built in 1932, are to the right of center.

Buildings on Cooper Street at 3rd Street.

The Central Trust Building on Federal Street. The bank was built in 1900.

The Walt Whitman House, on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard. The wooden house is the second on the left, and was likely built in 1847. This was Walt Whitman's last residence, from when he purchased it in 1884 until his death in 1892.

Houses on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.

The South Jersey Gas, Electric, and Traction Company Office Building, on Federal Street. The building now houses the Camden Public Library.

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, on Broadway. The Catholic church was built in 1864, and is the seat of the Diocese of Camden.

The old Camden Lodge of Elks, on Cooper Street. The structure was built in 1925 and now is the home of Leap Academy Charter School.

The West Jersey Trust Building, also called the Wilson Building, on Cooper Street. The structure was Camden's first highrise, and was built in 1926.

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, on Market Street.

The Law Building, on Market Street at 4th Street.

The New Jersey Security Deposit & Trust Company building, at 3rd & Market Streets. The building was built in 1886 and an addition is being added today.

Buildings on Market Street.

The old National State Bank building, on Market Street.

The Victor, on Market Street. The loft building was originally the home of the Victor Talking Machine Company, and became Building 17 of the Radio Corporation of America (RCA) when RCA bought the Victor Talking Machine Company in the 1920s. The structure was built in 1916 and features the Nipper Tower, which depicts "His master's Voice", a picture of a dog listening to a recording on a phonograph. The Victor Talking Machine Company was the first to produce a flat phonograph record.

The Radio Lofts, on Cooper Street. The factory was built in 1924 and was Building 8 of RCA Victor.

The Adventure Aquarium, formerly called the Camden Aquarium. In front of the aquarium is the Camden Children's Garden.

One Aquarium Drive, along the Delaware River near Adventure Aquarium.

One Port Center, on Federal Street. The structure was built in 1996.

An old railaroad warehouse on Penn Street.

Campbell's Field, on Delaware Avenue. The stadium was built in 2001 and has a capacity of 6,425. It is the home of the Camden Riversharks of the independent Atlantic League.

The Benjamin Franklin Bridge, connecting Camden to Philadelphia. The bridge was completed in 1926 and was originally called the Delaware River Bridge. It was the longest suspension bridge in the world when completed.

The Camden City Board of Education Administration Building, on Front Street. The office building was formerly used by Victor & RCA.

Houses on Cooper Street.

Old houses on Cooper Street.

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by xzmattzx; March 13th, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #2
Erolisk
Dust to Dust

God , i love new jersey ,thanx for sharing these pictures.
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
MiamiMan305

Likes (Received): 5

Such a shame, could have been one of the greatest cities in America.
MiamiMan305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great photos but yet so sad! Hopefully one day things will turn around!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

Great shot of the Ben Franklin Bridge.

It looks so haunting
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #6
Resident

Likes (Received): 3

I love this city! It kind of reminds me of similar sized cities with the same amount of blight: Gary, IN, E. St. Louis, IL. I find it not strange, but peculiar that the cities mentioned before and Camden are in different states but definately affected by the larger city of the opposite state. Is this a planned thing to keep the crime, poverty, or whatever else is conceived as rubbish out of the major city? I'm just curious. Thoughts....
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #7
MDguy

Honest, it is remarkably better than i would have thought. Its pretty nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMan305 View Post
Such a shame, could have been one of the greatest cities in America.
I really don't think it ever had that potential, being that it is right across the river from Philly.
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Xusein

Likes (Received): 13702

Nice pics and good architecture, but the town looks depressing.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 261

The architect of the Ben Franklin Bridge (not the engineer) was a distinguished Philadelphia architect of the Beaux-Arts school: Paul Philippe Cret. He also designed The Organization Of American States (OAS) headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Cret's home, an 1861 Italianate Victorian "Twin" villa, is about 3 blocks from my home. Cret is buried in the historic Woodlands Cemetery, just half a block from his house. Cret also designed the elegant neo-classical entrance gates to the Woodlands Cemetery. Also buried in the Woodlands: Mr. Campbell who founded the soup company!
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #10
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18453

nice pictures of New Jersey's Poorest city. Hopefully one day they can be @ Newark or Jersey City's level of crime and New Investment
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 601

I remember going through Camden on my way to Philadelphia, and actually downtown looked a lot better than I pictured it to be, these pictures prove it. It looks like a cleaner, more built up version of Gary, Indiana. Thanks for the tour!
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #12
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

Good, rare pictures of oft-overlooked Camden. Nope its not as bleak as Youngstown, Flint, Gary East St. Louis, but we all know that Camden has its share of challenges.

Interesting Camden & Wilmington are nearby cities, both in the Philly/Delaware valley orbit. They used to be about the same size, with about the same conditions. But clearly Camden's fallen way behind.

Yeah, would be good if Camden could enjoy the comebacks of some of the North Jersey cities.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #13
nouveau.ukiyo

Likes (Received): 31

I'd love to view these pictures, but sadly many of them are not loading...
nouveau.ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #14
MysticMcGoo
Blue Collar Bigwig

Likes (Received): 565

Brave enough to venture into the inner neighbourhoods and share some photos?

"The Fascists of the future will be Anti-Fascists". Winston Churchill

"The only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history." -Hegel

.....................::::::::::::::::::::::::........................

My July 2012 North American Road trip!
MysticMcGoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #15
defg763
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

yes``-==

NY Trikots Grosshaendler NY Trikots Grosshaendler, Orioles Trikots Grosshaendler Orioles Trikots Grosshaendler, Phillies Trikots Grosshaendler Phillies Trikots Grosshaendler, Pirates Trikots Grosshaendler Pirates Trikots Grosshaendler, RAYS Trikots Grosshaendler RAYS Trikots Grosshaendler,
defg763 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
camden, new jersey