Most Moronic Demolitions of Architecture - Page 26 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #501
Vaklston
Occasus Servitutis

Likes (Received): 5576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivilcoy View Post
A country that did a lot to destroy his colonial past was Argentina, the main building of the colonial government was demolished to make boulevars and had to be rebuilt as a neo-historicist building and museum in 1940.
In SŃo Paulo they did that aswell! With the Pateo do Collegio, which was the building that founded the city.

Before.

After.

Now.

Endrigo, hercre, City Cityzen liked this post
Vaklston no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 28th, 2019, 07:34 PM   #502
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 12437

From Milan! Such a crime! Incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThomas View Post
NH Hotel Collection CityLife Milano
Milan | Zone 8

design | Quattro Associati Architetti (renovation)
client | NH Hotel Group, Invesco Real Estate

The Cristo Re, a deconsecrated and abandoned church located nearby CityLife, will become a luxury hotel with 185 rooms, a conference center and a swimming pool on the top, with a view on the city skyline. The opening is scheduled for April 2021. This will be the 13th hotel of the NH Hotel Collection in Milan.

Since the beginning, the centrality of the church's imposing volume, its morphological layout and its location in the lot, its late-mannerist architecture and the quality of materials have been determinant elements in the design process. These aspects have led towards the conservation of the church and its enhancement through interventions that reconvert the spaces, integrating them into the new hotel. The spaces of the church, due to the particular volumetric qualities and stylistic figurations, can be reinterpreted and functionally converted for the main activities and access of the hotel; while all services, logistics, congress areas, restaurant and rooms will be realized in new building structures, connected and related to the church, in order to form a morphological unity.

Updates

artObserver liked this post
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #503
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Likes (Received): 13604

As much as I dislike this project, I want to "reassure" that the church dates to 1926-27 and is not an original Baroque church, and not even an "eclectic" building from the 1800s.
Being a relatively recent building with no relevant pieces of art inside, the conservation committee (Soprintendenza) deemed it not worthy of preservation. I agree with the judgement, but I also think that NH Hotels could have done a way way better job at integrating the church with the new hotel they'll build.

A hotel in a preserved and renovated church is much more of a selling point rather than this hideous hybrid. Despite being allowed to demolish the whole thing, I think it would have been in their interest to try to preserve the church anyway, and be somewhat creative in transforming it into hotel rooms.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Atlantropa, Roman_P, City Cityzen liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 29th, 2019, 01:04 AM   #504
DiogoBaptista

Likes (Received): 12437

Quote:
As much as I dislike this project, I want to "reassure" that the church dates to 1926-27 and is not an original Baroque church, and not even an "eclectic" building from the 1800s.

The Berliner Stadtschloss is currently under construction, would you find the demolition correct?

This small church have value no matter the age it have. The project ruins a really beautiful church! Thats a fact!
DiogoBaptista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 03:37 AM   #505
Jasper90
UnitÓ

Likes (Received): 13604

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogoBaptista View Post
The Berliner Stadtschloss is currently under construction, would you find the demolition correct?

This small church have value no matter the age it have. The project ruins a really beautiful church! Thats a fact!
They're just building the Stadtschloss now, why would they demolish it?
The church is beautiful, but the value does depend (also) on its age.

Let me explain this better: Baroque churches have been built in Milan around the period 1600-1750. This was followed by Neoclassicism, until around 1850. After that we've had Neo-Romanesque, until around 1910-20.

Building a Neoclassical somewhat Baroque church in 1927 is... Very late, and a bit uninventive. This is why it was deemed of somewhat low value, and not worthy of protection.

Again, I would have preferred the church to be preserved, converted correctly and renovated, even in a creative way. It looks better than most of the buildings around, and it could have been transformed into a landmark. But its historical value is anyway low, as luckily there are tens of other churches in Milan whose value is way higher.

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 05:01 AM   #506
Cofe33

Likes (Received): 12083

Asunciˇn, Paraguay

Banco Mercantil (1891)
Demolished in 1972
Before

After

artObserver, City Cityzen liked this post

Last edited by Cofe33; October 29th, 2019 at 05:07 AM.
Cofe33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2019, 05:17 AM   #507
Cofe33

Likes (Received): 12083

Asunciˇn, Paraguay

Some examples of demolished buildings or destroyed facades

artObserver, City Cityzen liked this post
Cofe33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement