I&M Bank Headquarters | Parklands | 9 fl | U/C - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2019, 08:56 AM   #21
robbygitonga

Likes (Received): 71

Has anyone worked in these glass clad buildings in NBO? Don't they get too hot?
robbygitonga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2019, 08:59 AM   #22
Kenyan_yungin
💪 👊 ✊ ⚔ 😂

Likes (Received): 22168

Pretty sure they have a/c
Kenyan_yungin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 12:48 PM   #23
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 731

They do get very hot.Most buildings in Nairobi do not have a/c.The good thing is when it is cold it does not get so cold but when it is hot it is very hot.People are left to fight for the fans that the company provides.Even in Mombasa where it is usually sweltering hot a/c is rare.Only banks,supermarkets and hotels provide them.The fans are usually insufficient when you find them
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2019, 06:05 PM   #24
andegwa

Likes (Received): 4992

We are talking about a brand new grade A office space guys!!!... Typically, clients who are able to spend money on the design and construction of such a building, will have added a requirement for installation of an efficient and effective HVAC systems throughout. There is zero chance that such a building would be uncomfortable to work in.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:13 AM   #25
brayo

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbygitonga View Post
Has anyone worked in these glass clad buildings in NBO? Don't they get too hot?
Depends on what type of glass is used and the architectural design used. If its just cheap glass and the design is poor then it will be a like a greenhouse.

If the glass is designed for the climate (i.e more reflective, insulative e.t.c) and the building design is also climate appropriate (i.e. thermal mass, north-south orientation, e.t.c), then AC won't even be necessary.
brayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:10 PM   #26
robbygitonga

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayo View Post
Depends on what type of glass is used and the architectural design used. If its just cheap glass and the design is poor then it will be a like a greenhouse.

If the glass is designed for the climate (i.e more reflective, insulative e.t.c) and the building design is also climate appropriate (i.e. thermal mass, north-south orientation, e.t.c), then AC won't even be necessary.
For example this building has a East-west orientation, even with double glazed glass won't it get unbearable in the Nairobi sun? Obviously AC can help but we are trying to move to greener buildings
robbygitonga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #27
trikks

Likes (Received): 13

AC on day one is easy. But as always our maintenance culture is the culprit. That coupled with the fact that most urban places are in a continuous state of flux, (construction without proper dust control) poor or mediocre street level infrastructure, (no sidewalks). These factors contribute to an incredible amount of dust and low air quality. In my building, people complain if you turn on the AC as the filters have been long clogged and turning AC on makes the air worse. You would much rather open a window to get ventilation and hope for a breeze and if you are lucky, not as much dust with the breeze. Come April and with the onset of rains we bury the issue until September. Makes it easier to ignore and make do.
trikks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 11:05 PM   #28
vfG
Villeurbanne

Likes (Received): 2143

https://www.vox.com/2015/3/23/827808...r-conditioning

Quote:
Singapore’s founding father thought air conditioning was the secret to his country’s success

[...]

Air conditioning might seem like a strange thing for Lee to cite in Singapore's 100-fold increase in per capita GDP between 1960 and 2011. But it's typical of his thinking: the basic things really matter.
Some leaders should really consider using basic logic while ruling a country...

Just to say that I miss lumumba so much ...

RhôneAlps
>emerging skyline<
ONLYLYON

-----------------------------------------------
LUANDA
>emerging world<
AngolAfrica

Last edited by vfG; February 22nd, 2019 at 11:14 PM.
vfG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:26 AM   #29
abckris

Likes (Received): 2347

Simple reason but highly impactful. Thanks for sharing the article about Singapore, I know this is true in Sudan and other very hot places in the north of Africa and the Middle East, people stop working early afternoon and come back later when it cools. They wouldn't need to do that if they had ACs running all the time. What's amazing to me is that these countries have oil and I wonder why they can't use their oil to generate energy to run the ACs. Let's have this idea implemented to improve the productivity of our people. In my personal experience, sleeping in Bungoma in January-March can be tough even at night too without AC, you have to leave doors and windows open and I think that definitely affects productivity during the day. Mombasa and northern Kenya areas are even worse. ACs will help us a lot, and that will increase quality of housing because leaking houses can't be colled down.
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:05 AM   #30
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 731

Love it.Great simple logic that makes a big difference.That is what Kenya needs simple basic logic that can have great impact on mentality of a lot of Kenyans.I always appreciate that when I worked in Mombasa my office had AC otherwise my life there would have been much more uncomfortable.I even worked longer hours because my office had AC but I did not have it at my house

vfG liked this post
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 01:01 PM   #31
BigQuack

Likes (Received): 1072

I&M Bank will move its head office from the Central Business District to Nairobi’s Parklands area in August.

The new age building dubbed 1 Park Avenue, located near City Park, will be part of the real estate investment portfolio of the bank’s property arm I&M Realty.

I&M expects to occupy 2 and a half floors of the seven-floor complex in a shift that will see 15 percent of the lender’s staff moving there, representing about 125 people.

[Source]
Old April 2nd, 2019, 01:13 PM   #32
suaveiskevin

Likes (Received): 175

Something needs to be done about the traffic that starts at this buildings junction all the way to KFC Limuru road

Alpha2 liked this post
suaveiskevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:35 PM   #33
Alpha2

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveiskevin View Post
Something needs to be done about the traffic that starts at this buildings junction all the way to KFC Limuru road
I will never understand why KENHA (or is it under KURA?) has ignored the expansion of Limuru Road into a dual carriageway all these years despite the never ending traffic jam on the whole stretch all the way to RedHill junction.

This road is a real nightmare because of the T junctions with no traffic lights..First one at the new I&M building which serves Avenue Hospital and Aga Khan Academy..and further on the other junction to Aga Khan Hospital and the next one for Aga Khan Primary. Add to the mix the matatus and when there are no traffic police at those junctions, you can be stuck for long!!
Alpha2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:43 PM   #34
hellokenya

Likes (Received): 166

The installation of the biggest photovoltaic skylight in Africa

The amorphous solar PV glass is being installed in the HQ of the I&M Bank Ltd

With 2200 m2 and different transparencies, it will turn into The Biggest Skylight in Africa. soon it will be capable of generating clean and free energy coming from the sun.

Kenya Patriot, batuzpisces, felakuti1 liked this post
hellokenya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:43 PM   #35
suaveiskevin

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha2 View Post
I will never understand why KENHA (or is it under KURA?) has ignored the expansion of Limuru Road into a dual carriageway all these years despite the never ending traffic jam on the whole stretch all the way to RedHill junction.

This road is a real nightmare because of the T junctions with no traffic lights..First one at the new I&M building which serves Avenue Hospital and Aga Khan Academy..and further on the other junction to Aga Khan Hospital and the next one for Aga Khan Primary. Add to the mix the matatus and when there are no traffic police at those junctions, you can be stuck for long!!

They only do expansions at the embassies and malls. There's also that road, 6th Parklands Avenue that was built that ends abruptly just after KFC near that bar, but for some reason was never connected to Limuru road and it leads to a rough road in Parklands so it's barely used. I die a little inside every time I see it.

Whoever built that road should be jailed
suaveiskevin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2019, 11:20 AM   #36
Mami-wota
Mkenya daima

Likes (Received): 1393

1 Park Avenue - i like the name...

Has anyone ever noted how building names in Westy and now also in Park-lands are very similar...

9 West, One west park, One Place Westlands , 1 Park ave, West-end, Westwood, Westside towers and the list goes on and on....

*********254*********
Mami-wota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2019, 03:42 PM   #37
abckris

Likes (Received): 2347

The trend suggests they are ready for street address system. They won’t have to change their name most likely when the street address system comes around.

andegwa, Adm.Adama, batuzpisces liked this post
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #38
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 9043

source

The building should be ready this month. And occupation will begin in July.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC

jaysonffm, zacmwanzia, batuzpisces liked this post
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 01:33 PM   #39
FMCpay

Likes (Received): 33

zndetei liked this post
FMCpay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement