Urban Redevelopment Projects Around the World - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 24080

Urban Redevelopment Projects Around the World

What are some major urban redevelopment projects in your city?

London - Canary Wharf

Hong Kong - Bank of China Tower & Cheung Kong Center

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

In the Northeast Hartford went through massive redevelopmet project including a new convention center,new skyscrapers a new museum and a shopping center.Charolette and Atlanta went through a a big redevopment and even though it has been disneyfied Times Square in New York has had enourmus change from what it used to be.Thats what I can think of so far
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #3
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 5

Seattle recently launched a thorough redevelopment plan in the downtown area and many people of lower income are protesting against it.
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1451

Hamburg - Hafencity

website

DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #5
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 3381

HK does have alot of redevelopments especially the formation of New Towns.

There are several New Towns around the city like the ones of Tai Koo Shing or Shatin.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM   #6
tmac14wr

Likes (Received): 28

The Big Dig in Boston is going to make space for building projects such as Gateway Center, which will possibly have an 800ft. tower.
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #7
steveowevo

Likes (Received): 2

If you click the link "Saskatoon Developments" in my signature there's lots of Saskatoon redevelopments there.
steveowevo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 24080

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
HK does have alot of redevelopments especially the formation of New Towns.

There are several New Towns around the city like the ones of Tai Koo Shing or Shatin.
Redevelopment is not the same as building a new town from scratch. Shatin did not rise out of demolished buildings.
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #9
polako
Kibic

Major redevelopment projects in NYC:

Manhattan: Hudson Yards

Links:Hudson Yards Overview,Hudson Yards Development info

Brooklyn: Atlantic Yards

Link:Atlantic Yards

There are many more, but those are the major ones.

Last edited by polako; October 26th, 2007 at 03:04 AM.
polako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #10
George_Castanza

Likes (Received): 1

I just wanted to get this very co-gent thread's stats up more:

...it is not impossible -- even as posts on phpBB sites get shorter in order to raise each poster's post number higher -- that in 20 to 22 years -- the 1 American car company left standing will remain only because it began building -- just in time -- cars taller rather than better and not merely to accomodate the mobility of human lives.

In the year 2028, the leading American car maker's Top!-seller, El Titulare, will showcase its driver -- and no, sirs and ladies, I am not high -- as easily & clearly visible, laterally, without the admiring pent-houser looking down, ever, never ever, down -- seeing 'I' to 'I' at 'I' level mano-a-mano, with THE DRIVER from his penthouse windows 901 feet up into the New York City air, both scraper and car, beeming like shafts of tail-fin light.

Last edited by George_Castanza; March 14th, 2006 at 05:18 AM. Reason: higher grammar Accura see
George_Castanza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #11
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 8350

Its not just Canary Wharf in London, all the docks have been redeveloped with the old warehouses converted into yuppie flats and new highrises alongside, all the docks are now marinas. Paddington Basin has had £5 billion (about $10 billion) invested into redevelopment, big new CBDs are to be built on the decaying Stratford and Elephant & Castle sites.
Kings Cross where 3 rail termini end and the new Eurostar lines will converge is also getting a huge makeover, as is Battersea and its huge defunct power station. Finally theres the new Wembley stadium site with its new city centre too.
The biggest projects are the Thames Gateway, with hundreds of thousands of new homes to be built in the East on industrial land, and the Cambridge Corridor which includes the new Stratford CBD, the new Olympics site and thousands more housing.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; March 13th, 2007 at 12:33 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #12
archifreese

Likes (Received): 129

Okay so this one is not globally as significant as some of the others, its mostly condos and retail, but its massive (for Miami) and has influenced several other developments to spring up around it. This was the Florida East Coast Railoads train yards in Miami. It is now under construction w/2 of the buildings about half done, and one of the low retail boxes almost entirely done. Sorry for the text, but its from their website www.midtownmiami.com

archifreese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #13
A r c h i
Agent of Change

Likes (Received): 615

Melbourne's Docklands redevelopment 220ha in total.

A r c h i está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #14
reginaguy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Castanza
...it is not impossible -- even as posts on phpBB sites get shorter in order to raise each poster's post number higher -- that in 20 to 22 years -- the 1 American car company left standing will remain only because it began building -- just in time -- cars taller rather than better and not merely to accomodate the mobility of human lives.

In the year 2028, the leading American car maker's Top!-seller, El Titulare, will showcase its driver -- and no, sirs and ladies, I am not high -- as easily & clearly visible, laterally, without the admiring pent-houser looking down, ever, never ever, down -- seeing 'I' to 'I' at 'I' level mano-a-mano, with THE DRIVER from his penthouse windows 901 feet up into the New York City air, both scraper and car, beeming like shafts of tail-fin light.
.. what? This post is completely incomprehensable, I hurt my brain just trying to understand what you were talking about
reginaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #15
crawf

Likes (Received): 597

Port Adelaide Redevelopment in Adelaide, Australia

http://www.cox.com.au/Projects/maste...ody_index.html
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #16
JDRS
Against ID Cards

London, Battersea Power Station Redevelopment:

The Power Station is being transformed into a new entertainment, events, cultural and commercial focus for London . It will become a platform for innovation, a place of inspiration where new thinking and new ideas will thrive.

Hotels and apartments, offices and galleries, commercial and leisure spaces will all create a hub of energy and activity on the riverfront. In location, size, features and personality the Power Station will have the energy to become a major international destination. To ensure visitors get to and from the site in comfort and security by road, river and rail a significant investment will be made to enhance the existing local transport infrastructure.

As a whole the development will provide new opportunities for work and business in London . Around 3,000 jobs will be created during construction followed by a further 9,000 when the project is fully operational.

With great energy, self sufficiency and nearly a quarter of the site dedicated to landscaped open space this will also be one of the greenest developments of its kind.

More here
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #17
R.E-S

Likes (Received): 0

Hey, I think Beirut is the largest Urban Redevelopment Project in the world no? I have few pictures of the Lebanese capital.

Here is the new hotel/residential district being built
(left to right : Four Season Hotel, marina towers, Beirut Tower and last but not least the Platinum Tower

This project will completely change the waterfront with nearly half of them
underconstruction.

Marina Towers

Left to right : Beirut tower, Marina towers (almost done) and right next to it on the right is the Four Season Hotel

Certainy there is more, not forgetting the reconstruction and development of 4.69 million square meters in Downtown Beirut (phase 1 that was completed in 2004)

Now the beginning of Phase 2 reconstruction of Beirut will be done in 2025 with an additional of 6 million square meters of development and reconstruction. If you guys want to see more picture of the newly built downtown, please visit my thread https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=328877.
R.E-S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #18
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3855

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuwman
Seattle recently launched a thorough redevelopment plan in the downtown area and many people of lower income are protesting against it.
That's just a proposed rezone to allow taller buildings in certain Downtown districts. Some low-income advocates and councilmembers want to enlarge the mayor's proposed development fees to provide more money for low-income housing, parks, etc. Others, like me, think this is moronic, as the higher fees will kill a lot of projects. The mayor's proposal will allow projects to get built while also providing a sizeable amount of money. Overall, Downtown Seattle is going through another boom period, with dozens of projects underway and dozens of additional towers pursuing 2006 or 2007 starts.

Our main "redevelopment" project is Paul Allen's plan for South Lake Union. He owns a patchwork of properties totaling about 50 acres in this existing district. Along with plans by other property owners, the neighborhood should see many thousands of added jobs and a similar number of added residents in the coming decade or more. Allen's own projects are expected to total something like 10,000,000 sf if I remember. PS, since most of his properties are north of Denny Way, they'll mostly be in the 65' range. These will continue to be a mix of laboratories, offices, and housing.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM   #19
mzn
Veterano

Location: Buenos Aires, Provincias Unidas del Río de la Plata
Likes (Received): 1517

Puerto Madero
Buenos Aires

Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM   #20
Vanman

Likes (Received): 67

The 600+ million Vancouver Convention Centre expansinon project is part redevelopment part land reclemation.
This is how the site looked a few years ago:

This is how it will look upon completion in2008:

This is what it looked like in this past summer.

Last edited by Vanman; November 11th, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement