Affordable Housing | Pangani | 15 fl x21 | Proposed - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Nairobi Metro Region

Nairobi Metro Region Projects and construction in the Nairobi Metropolitan Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2018, 06:49 AM   #21
ngara

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by royco mchuzi View Post
Nice discussion Anyone here that knows Ngara area well? Anyone with a clue where the park road housing project that macharia is talking about will be located? I googled searched and realized that the River Estate project by edermann ( 8 *34flr project) is located on just off Park road. This could be the one that is about to break ground next month as per macharia.
Park road housing project is sandwiched between Ring Road Ngara and Park road- on Kinshasa road to be precise. The site is very visible on google maps as an empty lot. River Estate borders Nyayo market area next to Nairobi river and Ngara girls high school.
ngara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2018, 02:09 PM   #22
ngara

From the brochure
Quote:
The Pangani Housing Project is an initiative by the Nairobi City County Government in partnership with Tecnofin Kenya Limited to renew and re-create Pangani Estate by way of providing dignified and affordable homes for residents of Nairobi. In line with the realities of the time, Pangani Estate developed in the 1950s, accommodates 48 residents on a vast 5.2 acre property. The County Government now aims at increasing the number of units on this property to meet the growing demand for housing in the city. Pangani is strategically located in close proximity of various key facilities including schools, colleges and universities, hospitals, malls, clubs and parks, police and fire station.
In keeping with the historical race course heritage of the neighbourhood, the site layout is derived from a horse shoe. This encloses a fun social condenser for multiple age groups in the form of an amenity rich central courtyard. The large secure green space contributes to the green architecture and promotes both sustainability and freedom. The innovative social and affordable house concepts, are a clever interpretation of multi-functional ‘micro’ apartments whilst the open market three bedroom duplex apartments are efficient and roomy, all ensuite masterpieces. Pangani offers exceptional value across the board. Picture a bright Saturday morning, the singing of birds, the laughter of children, the lively engagements and peaceful calm. A true recreation of old neighbourhood ethos. Pangani is a place that you can call your own. A world class enclave of convenience and bliss. Welcome home.
The prices
Quote:
1 Bedroom Social House: 25 SQM (KShs. 1,000,000/-)
2 Bedroom Social House: 50 SQM (KShs. 2,500,000/-)
1 Bedroom Apartment: 30 SQM (KShs. 1,500,000/-)
2 Bedroom Apartment: 40 SQM (KShs. 2,250,000/-)
3 Bedroom Apartment: 60 SQM (KShs. 3,000,000/-)
3 Bedroom Duplex (Lower Floor) : 90 SQM (KShs. 7,500,000/-)

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Old October 31st, 2018, 04:14 PM   #23
royco mchuzi

Likes (Received): 1623

Ngara, could you please post a link to the source
royco mchuzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 08:45 PM   #24
andegwa

Likes (Received): 5006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngara View Post
From the brochure

The prices
Quote:
1 Bedroom Social House: 25 SQM (KShs. 1,000,000/-)
2 Bedroom Social House: 50 SQM (KShs. 2,500,000/-)
1 Bedroom Apartment: 30 SQM (KShs. 1,500,000/-)
2 Bedroom Apartment: 40 SQM (KShs. 2,250,000/-)
3 Bedroom Apartment: 60 SQM (KShs. 3,000,000/-)
3 Bedroom Duplex (Lower Floor) : 90 SQM (KShs. 7,500,000/-)
Is it me or do some of the square footage listed above seem on the smaller side. ~645-1000SF for a 3 bedroom dwelling is pretty small!! Though I suppose its a vast improvement compared to some of the houses that a lot of Nairobians currently leave in.
Old October 31st, 2018, 09:29 PM   #25
royco mchuzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by andegwa View Post
Is it me or do some of the square footage listed above seem on the smaller side. ~645-1000SF for a 3 bedroom dwelling is pretty small!! Though I suppose its a vast improvement compared to some of the houses that a lot of Nairobians currently leave in.
I really doubt those figures, buth then again these houses are being constructed by a Kenyan Company. A 25 SQM room , kitanda ata itatoshea? In terms of cost per sq ft for a social house seem expensive considering cost of land is free

Last edited by royco mchuzi; October 31st, 2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:08 PM   #26
kamaudk

Likes (Received): 1291

andegwa, royco mchuzi liked this post
kamaudk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 01:59 PM   #27
Kenya Patriot

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Absolutely true. Its basically enough to put a double decker bed and study desk. The wardrobe better be inbuilt.

However better 3 small bedrooms than 2 bigger bedrooms.

felakuti1 liked this post

Last edited by Kenya Patriot; November 1st, 2018 at 06:30 PM.
Kenya Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:22 PM   #28
Mist™
Mist™

Likes (Received): 343

*Wardrobe*

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Mist™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:00 PM   #29
abckris

Likes (Received): 2353

Wabomoe pia Pumu and Ziwa estates. Those houses are hideous and substandard. They met standards in 60s, not 50 years after, today!
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2018, 04:26 AM   #30
FOYS

Likes (Received): 36

Search up brutalist architecture
FOYS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #31
Shocks
"Structures don't lie" on

Likes (Received): 339

Quote:
It's social housing, if you want bigger you better pay for it
Shocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 09:25 PM   #32
Okwonkwo

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
I really doubt those figures, buth then again these houses are being constructed by a Kenyan Company. A 25 SQM room , kitanda ata itatoshea? In terms of cost per sq ft for a social house seem expensive considering cost of land is free
25sqm sio ndogo vile. If it were a square room that would be 5m * 5m, or 16ft * 16 ft. The widest bed you can have will be 6ft * 6ft, you find that you are left with a lot of room to put your other little stuff.

If you see the tiny rooms people live in here in Nairobi you will be shocked! There are rooms in this goddamned city going for 3000/- to 4000/- a month and you can only fit a bed and a suitcase on one wall, the room is just 8ft wide, and maybe 10 or 12ft long!
Okwonkwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 02:33 AM   #33
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 6624

I seriously hope projects like these become the norm quality but affordable housing.

The government should also implement a social mixing law so that when a housing development of any kind is built there's a minimum percentage of affordable housing. That way Nairobi becomes a standard developed city instead of the East of Nairobi looking like third world dystopia and Western Nairobi looking awesome.

felakuti1, Adm.Adama liked this post
african no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2018, 09:50 PM   #34
andegwa

Likes (Received): 5006

Urban renewal project set to start
Quote:
Nairobi county is set to compensate Pangani residents whose houses will be destroyed to make way for a major urban renewal housing project.

Lands executive Charles Kerich last week told The Star in an interview that the tenants will be compensated for two years, the estimated time of new construction. Then they can move back.

Kerich said offer letters have already been prepared and the developers, Pangani Estate Limited, are ready to start giving tenants compensation money once the letters are signed.

LUMP SUM

“We have prepared the offer letters and the developers are ready and have the money. Each tenant will be given Sh25,000 per month for two years, the expected construction period, but if it takes longer, they will also be sorted,” Kerich said.

The county has been negotiating with tenants of the 48 houses. The county says most are ready to move and have already selected their new houses in the project.

Kerich said the tenants will receive a lump sum amount instead of monthly compensation, after which the county will set a groundbreaking day.

The executive this week said those tenants who would have signed and been given their money will be expected to start moving out, while those who are still hesitant will be given 30 days.

The county has been forced to reduce the height of buildings from 30 storeys to 14 storeys because Pangani Estate is under the paths of Moi Airbase.

The Sh300 billion Phase One, the pilot project, will have at least 1,148 units costing Sh3 million each.

The developers will have a 70:30 share in the project.

“Seventy per cent of the project must be low-cost housing and the developers are under instructions to build structures whose value ranges between Sh1 million and Sh3 million. Then the 30 per cent would be slightly higher to give the investors a chance to sell at market rate,” Kerich said.

SPOILERS

The county had hoped to break ground this year but the launch had to be postponed due to logistics.

“We hoped to do the groundbreaking this year. But we have tried to be very gentle with the tenants as we want it to be a very successful and not a controversial project. As you know, there are people in Nairobi who will not hesitate to turn very noble project into a scandal that does not exist,” Kerich said.

Nairobi was selected as the first county to have low-cost housingas part of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s Big Four agenda, which includes affordable housing.
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018...start_c1863647

I didn't realize that the height of the buildings had been reduced due to the Moi airbase flight-paths/routes.
Old December 12th, 2018, 09:50 AM   #35
ngara

Welfare people. Always taking and taking. They've have lived on subsidized housing for 20+ years and can't afford 2 years rent. They now threaten to cause a ruckus and make the project controversial. Section 8 nightmare tenants.

I think 14 floors is a good height. 30 floors with welfare people inside would be difficult to manage and provide services e.g. you will need to pump water to upper floors, garbage collection, clean common areas. They won't pay service charge to maintain the common areas and lifts. 14 floors is manageable.

Kenguy liked this post
Old December 12th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #36
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3264

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngara View Post
Welfare people. Always taking and taking. They've have lived on subsidized housing for 20+ years and can't afford 2 years rent. They now threaten to cause a ruckus and make the project controversial. Section 8 nightmare tenants.

I think 14 floors is a good height. 30 floors with welfare people inside would be difficult to manage and provide services e.g. you will need to pump water to upper floors, garbage collection, clean common areas. They won't pay service charge to maintain the common areas and lifts. 14 floors is manageable.
My sentiments exactly on height. We are not ready to have tower slums.

brian the real story liked this post
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #37
royco mchuzi

I don't get why tax payers money should be used to compensate the tenants!! It is insane that county has to plead with these people to get their houses back. We must get rid of this greedy squatter mentality. These guys are grabbers and we better not give them free houses. I agree they should be given first priority to buy the houses..but they should pay for it like aby other kenyan
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #38
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 731

Is this affordable housing happening?I get impatient sometimes with these upgrades,downgrades,redesign,compensation,contractor issues
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 08:27 PM   #39
royco mchuzi

I heard ps charles hinga say ground breaking in a weeks time..Uhuru said same thing today..We can only wait and see
Charles Hinga is brilliant and believeable. This would not have happened if it was left to macharia
Old December 13th, 2018, 12:26 AM   #40
Kijanamwafrika

Likes (Received): 731

Quote:
I heard ps charles hinga say ground breaking in a weeks time..Uhuru said same thing today..We can only wait and see
Charles Hinga is brilliant and believeable. This would not have happened if it was left to macharia
Let us hope so.We have very few people in government today who are believable when it comes to implementation of projects
Kijanamwafrika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement