Bangladesh Aviation - Part 15 - Page 49 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Heritage, Tourism & Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2019, 02:43 AM   #961
dopekhor
bleh!

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
I doubt BG would try DAC-JFK non stop.
oh they will!! ego issue for the big boss :P
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2019, 01:59 PM   #962
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Likes (Received): 959

US aviation body downgrades Malaysia's air safety rating: Sources

Other countries in Category 2 include Bangladesh, Ghana and Costa Rica

patel2897 liked this post
TIslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2019, 08:23 PM   #963
Manazir

Likes (Received): 666

I had no idea that only 5 countries are Category 2 countries! Astonishing that even a lot of other 3rd world countries have Cat 1 rating.... shame on CAAB!
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2019, 02:20 AM   #964
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post

I had no idea that only 5 countries are Category 2 countries! Astonishing that even a lot of other 3rd world countries have Cat 1 rating.... shame on CAAB!
Prior to Malaysia, Thailand airports were downgraded to category 2 by US FAA.

International airports across the world get downgraded and/or upgraded often as FAA conducts its periodic audits (I don't know the interval). For example, Philippines MNL airport was downgraded to category 2, and then Indian airports were downgraded some years back. Both countries were successful to regain category 1 rating after submitting for re-audits, having made up the deficiency (problems) that were cited by FAA.

Bangladesh, (and perhaps a handful of countries) is a special case in that it has structural problem with how civil aviation is administered. The fundamental issue is how the civil aviation agency, the administrative body, i.e. CAAB is organized, staffed, and managed as well as how CAAB meets its obligations. Unless it has finally fixed, CAAB has been routinely staffed and managed by BAF personnel on deputation for civil duties. That is a no no. CAAB needs to be independent of Bangladesh military. Not only that, it has to be independent from the ministry of civil aviation. Beyond that, a competent civil aviation agency has to have some key departments within the organization that discharge various functions like aircraft airworthiness safety inspectors, airport security inspectors, crash/disaster management experts, and so on.

Unless all those requirements have been satisfactorily met, I don't believe FAA would upgrade Bangladesh to category 1.

Rokto14 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2019, 03:43 AM   #965
despaired

Likes (Received): 61

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...from-nov-2019/
despaired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 11:57 AM   #966
Manazir

Likes (Received): 666

Asiana comes to Dhaka in 2 days.
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:43 AM   #967
saahmed

Likes (Received): 86

Biman to start Saidpur-Cox's Bazar direct flight

Biman Bangladesh Airlines will start Saidpur-Cox's Bazar direct flight.

The national flag carrier will inaugurate a new route with a direct flight from Saidpur to Cox's Bazar. It is expected to start from the first day of 2020.

Biman is operating 14 flights per week between Dhaka and Saidpur. The new direct flight to Cox's Bazar will cater to the demands of passengers.

Source: http://aviationnewsbd.com/?p=76620

========
What do you think of flights between airports other than Dhaka? Maybe we'll see flights connecting Sylhet and Chittagong.
saahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 03:06 AM   #968
Rokto14

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by saahmed View Post
Biman Bangladesh Airlines will start Saidpur-Cox's Bazar direct flight.

The national flag carrier will inaugurate a new route with a direct flight from Saidpur to Cox's Bazar. It is expected to start from the first day of 2020.

Biman is operating 14 flights per week between Dhaka and Saidpur. The new direct flight to Cox's Bazar will cater to the demands of passengers.

Source: http://aviationnewsbd.com/?p=76620

========
What do you think of flights between airports other than Dhaka? Maybe we'll see flights connecting Sylhet and Chittagong.
I hope this is a catalyst move to start flights between airports other than Dhaka and hopefully more can happen. I think it's a good start that BG starts with SPD and CXB. Next time even the other Bangladeshi carriers can supplement this route plus also adding routes like ZYL-CTG, ZYL-CXB, SPD-CTG, CTG-JSR, etc. There are quite a lot of possibilities but only if there are passenger numbers to keep these routes viable.

Ahnaaf liked this post
Rokto14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2019, 04:53 PM   #969
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokto14 View Post
I hope this is a catalyst move to start flights between airports other than Dhaka and hopefully more can happen. I think it's a good start that BG starts with SPD and CXB. Next time even the other Bangladeshi carriers can supplement this route plus also adding routes like ZYL-CTG, ZYL-CXB, SPD-CTG, CTG-JSR, etc. There are quite a lot of possibilities but only if there are passenger numbers to keep these routes viable.
It isn't Field Of Dreams you know.

Based on what I know, this will fizzle out soon enough. For inter district service i.e. domestic flights to be sustainable, a sizable number of business people need to fly on these routes. That is sorely absent in Bangladesh. As I see it, that may never develop and for a good reason. The distances involved aren't great and most business people are comfortable driving or taking the bus/train. Moreover, as more high speed highways are built, commute time by road is going to become shorter and shorter.

Contrast that with countries with far flung cities like in India, Pakistan or the US.

manbil777, Rokto14 liked this post
Old November 17th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #970
Rokto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIslam View Post
It isn't Field Of Dreams you know.

Based on what I know, this will fizzle out soon enough. For inter district service i.e. domestic flights to be sustainable, a sizable number of business people need to fly on these routes. That is sorely absent in Bangladesh. As I see it, that may never develop and for a good reason. The distances involved aren't great and most business people are comfortable driving or taking the bus/train. Moreover, as more high speed highways are built, commute time by road is going to become shorter and shorter.

Contrast that with countries with far flung cities like in India, Pakistan or the US.
Definitely, in the long run, inter-city flights won't be sustainable because Bangladesh is building expressways, bypass roads so people are going to use land transport. But in the next 20 years at least, I don't really see that land transport will be improved at a rapid pace that business people will immediately change their mode of transport via land.

Speaking about transportation by train, not all the train routes in Bangladesh have dual direction tracks which means the frequency of trains has to be limited. Trains in Bangladesh are often overbooked especially during long public holidays like Eid. Only if there are dual tracks, more trains can be put on different routes which means frequency can be increased and more people can travel. But again I don't see these rapid expansions will be done by Bangladesh Railways anytime soon.

With all these said, it's quite okay to say that these inter-city air routes should not be loss-making routes and most of them will be operated by Dash-8-Q400/ATRs and not bigger jet aircraft. So at least 50 passengers going on the flight will still bring some profits to the airlines. Also having these domestic routes will give people more options regarding transportation.
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #971
despaired

Likes (Received): 61

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300959600.html
despaired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 12:20 AM   #972
saahmed

Likes (Received): 86

Biman signs deal to buy 2 more 787s

It is official now.

Boeing and Biman Bangladesh Airlines signed a deal for two 787-9s. This aircraft is listed at $292.5 million apiece.

The deal was signed during the Dubai Airshow 2019 yesterday.

Biman already has in its fleet four 787-8s of the US plane maker and the new planes would be 20 feet longer.

Source: https://www.thedailystar.net/frontpa...e-787s-1828582

Rokto14, patel2897 liked this post
saahmed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 08:41 PM   #973
WingTips

Likes (Received): 3176

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingTips View Post
BIMAN to Introduce B787-9 MAN....

"A recently procured Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner of Biman Bangladesh Airlines is set to perform scintillating aerial display at the Dubai airshow to be held from 17th November to 21th November, 2019.

In a bid to expand its international reach, the National Flag Carrier has signed an agreement in October 2019 with Boeing Company to procure two brand new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft, which would be delivered in December 2019. Biman already has a fleet of four 787-8 Dreamliner. Biman’s 787-9 can carry 298 passengers in a standard three-class configuration and fly up to 7,530 nautical miles while reducing fuel consumption and emissions by up to 25 percent compared to older airplanes
These two new Dreamliner aircraft would be operated primarily to connect two European destinations namely Manchester and Heathrow from 05 January 2020. Biman aims to secure highest customer satisfaction and comfort to increase its market share in a competitive aviation industry. "

https://www.biman-airlines.com/about...8-138c8e5b82a3

Rokto14, manbil777, patel2897 liked this post
WingTips no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 10:07 AM   #974
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 5497

Growing the family: BimanAirlines
is adding two 787-9 Dreamliner airplanes to their fleet of 787-8 jets to expand service to the Middle East, Europe and Asia.
RELEASE :
https://t.co/rUCeEb4wM0?amp=1

https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/...30238037680129
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw

TIslam, Rokto14 liked this post
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 08:55 PM   #975
TIslam
Towhid Islam

Biman Flight Engineers

Does anybody know whatever became of all the DC-10 FEs Biman had employed? I can understand some, close to retirement, chose to retire early. But what about those who had many years of service left?
Old November 20th, 2019, 12:04 AM   #976
planemannyc

Likes (Received): 330

Imran Asif made CEO of Regent Airways

In the midst of Biman's 787-9 purchase, this news got left out.

https://www.thedailystar.net/busines...irways-1827601

Back to the helm of Regent where he was the first CEO. Congratulations!

He was an active member in this forum a while back. Would love to hear from him here.

TIslam, Rokto14, manbil777 liked this post
planemannyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2019, 04:37 AM   #977
Rokto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemannyc View Post
Imran Asif made CEO of Regent Airways

In the midst of Biman's 787-9 purchase, this news got left out.

https://www.thedailystar.net/busines...irways-1827601

Back to the helm of Regent where he was the first CEO. Congratulations!

He was an active member in this forum a while back. Would love to hear from him here.
Wonder if he has any expansion plans especially with the fleet for RX. They seem to be operating with just 2 Boeing 737-800? Is that true?
Old November 20th, 2019, 06:47 PM   #978
planemannyc

Likes (Received): 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokto14 View Post
Wonder if he has any expansion plans especially with the fleet for RX. They seem to be operating with just 2 Boeing 737-800? Is that true?
I think they are operating 4 B737-800s and the 2 Dash-8s (not sure if they are fully operational).

Flightradar24 has recorded flights by S2-AIJ, S2-AIV, S2-AIO in November, and S2-AIH has had flights in September.

The 2 Dash-8s don't seem to have logged any flights since Jan 2019. Having said that, many domestic flights in Bangladesh are not logged in Flightradar24.

I think it would be hard from them to reestablish domestic flights other than B737 flights to CGP and CXB. Novo and USB have a commanding positions and Biman mops up pretty much most of the market.

Rokto14 liked this post
planemannyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 08:53 PM   #979
shatilislam
Hungryforsky

Likes (Received): 9

Our Imran Asif bhai has returned to Regent Airways
As CEO.

Hope the airlines will be able to re-emerge from current financial difficulties under his leadership.
shatilislam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 09:00 PM   #980
shatilislam
Hungryforsky

Likes (Received): 9

Regent is now fully dependent on its 4 737-800 I guess.
shatilislam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: