Cumberland House | Broad Street | Offices to Hotel | Conversion | Comp. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #61
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Ah. Disappointed but strangely not, because if we get another Colmore Plaza I will be happy. Sort of
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #62
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

sorry did not take my camera in, I think the renders were indicative of the style they are going for, all glass, 12 storeys, with a central atrium area and commercial units at ground floor, access would be avail from tennant street to broad street to the buildings users, but not the public, which is a missed opportunity

Looked ok, but then I really like Cumberland House, its a shame the proposal is not a little more exciting to offset the loss of a rather nice sixties job
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #63
Flogging Molly

Likes (Received): 3

Last thing we needed was a another big bulging block down here. This area could be extremely elegant. Another important query. How did it look with BST or how could you imagine it looking with BST?
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #64
brum2003

Likes (Received): 258

they actually had bst in the renders, yeah looked ok, will radically change the middle section of broad street
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #65
Flogging Molly

Thats good to hear. If anything BST could have prevented quite alot of eventualities happening here due to its sheer presence and size.

I just really wish it was set back from BS with a slim but tall tower. This area just needs something that extra bit different.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #66
Flogging Molly

Nothing to over the top and yeh there's alot of things wrong with it, it was done in about 2 minutes but something like this could've really worked especially with it facing the edges of Brindley Place, and would have given the residencies of BST a much better view.

Small floor plates dont work in the modern day and age. I just so wish they did

Old April 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #67
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

well that would not be allowed as planner within the city are keen to maintain a consistant frontage along broad street and rightfully so imo!

i think i'll reserve judgement until ive seen the renders!
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #68
Bachy Soletanche
Disco and drugs trade

Likes (Received): 3897

So should I, but it's another good(ish, well ok) 60s building lost, it's starting to look like carlessness.
"What do you thus rail at me, as if I had done such an heinous act, contrary to the nature of man? I tell you that if you did but know how pleasant the taste of man's flesh was, none of you all would forbear to eat it;"
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #69
Flogging Molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
well that would not be allowed as planner within the city are keen to maintain a consistant frontage along broad street and rightfully so imo!

i think i'll reserve judgement until ive seen the renders!
Really?

Would an Urbis type structure be opposed aswell? Or is it just anything that receeds back from the normal BS frontage then rises?
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #70
Biosonic
Second Citizen

[IMG]http://i12.************/2q8sw0x.jpg[/IMG]

My verdict?

I LOVE IT!!!!

It will help bring the city centre right out to Five Ways. I love the way they have respected the streetscape with the stone sections and set the rest of the building back, and I love the fact that it appears high quality.

I am disappointed that there isn't a thoroughfare through to Tennant Street though.

Apologies about it being black & white and grainy...

PS - it works so well with BST (to the left...)
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #71
city living

Likes (Received): 1

Nice one Bio. I like it too. Between Brindley Place and Fiveways there isn't any modern offices, this will help to link the business areas together.
city living no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #72
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Interestingly, they made a point of saying there would be no bars there - everyone had been asking that question apparently!

Mind you - they were just closing up and wanted me out the door...
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #73
woodhousen

nice find bio...

generaly i like, having thought about office use, i think this is a good idea esp with leisure uses at the base! as bios says, it will add as a link towards fiveways

also looking at the proximity to BST, it woyld appear that an eltra tall building wouldnt work as it would just block out BST.

However, i will be making clear to mopox any suggestions i may have!
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #74
woodhousen

...oh, no bars there...... hmmmm, im not sure i like retail there. although im supportive of trying to tonne down broad street, i think they should be supporting of leisure classes such as restaurants!
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #75
city living

Im not sad about that. Areas like Arcadian, Digbeth, Hurst street plus others have taken a chunk out of broad street. Many bars appear to struggle judging by how often some come and go.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #76
woodhousen

oh yes, i agree hense why i support its down grade. however, as a shopping location and a daytime location, its nothing. its future is in the leisure industry imo and i whole heartly support the council with their plans to turn this into a more family orientated area. however, that is not through shops, its through a range of leisure uses such as restaurants, cafes and so forth...

..and plus my main concern, with it being such a poor shoppin location (only sainsbury's and the furniture shop on that road) i fear a shoppuing unit would stay empty for quite a while or be taken up by yet another supermarket chain... tesco?
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #77
Flogging Molly

My verdict.

Great, simple, elegant office block ... in the wrong place!
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #78
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 1192

Oh no. I only just realised that this building were Cumberland House, I love it and will be really sad to see it go.
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #79
mikey23

Likes (Received): 127

As much as i like the new design, i dont think it justifiys the demolition of Cumberland house, which IMO is a great example of a good looking 60s (?) building, and i would prefer to see it reclad.

I think in years to come we will may regret the way we tried to eradicate our 60s/70s buildings, such as Cumberland house and the Natwest tower. They may all seem brutalist and ugly, but they also have something about them, which I for one like.
mikey23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #80
city living

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23 View Post
i would prefer to see it reclad.
I take it you mean convert it to residential or a hotel. Because the reason its empty is that buidings like this don't work as modern offices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement