Warwickshire County Cricket Club | Stadium | Comp. - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #21
feltip

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Rider Levett Bucknall hired to create Edgbaston's £30m dream
Dec 11 2008 by Alun Thorne, Birmingham Post

Warwickshire County Cricket Club has appointed Rider Levett Bucknall to help it transform Edgbaston and maintain its status as a premier cricket ground on the international circuit.

The planned £30million revamp, which will see capacity increased to 25,000 as well as improved facilities for fans, players and media is now back on track after Birmingham-based developer MCD joined forces with the club.

Rider Levett Bucknall is providing project management and quantity surveying services. Subject to planning, work is scheduled to start next autumn and Peter West, associate at the Birmingham office, is leading the team to deliver the new stands for the test match against India in the summer of 2011.

As well as increasing capacity, the new stands will become home to media, banqueting, enhanced hospitality and event facilities including bars and restaurants and new player changing rooms, a shop and museum.

In addition, it will also kick-start regeneration of the surrounding area around the ground with plans for office and residential schemes, hotels and further commercial opportunities.

The Broadway Malyan-designed development will allow the world-famous Edgbaston ground to secure its future in retaining international test cricket matches as well as enabling Warwickshire County Cricket Club to generate all year round revenue from non-cricketing commercial activities.

The appointment enhances Rider Levett Bucknall’s reputation in the sporting arena and follows a contract by Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Leeds Metropolitan University to help build a new £21million pavilion at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

RLB’s Peter West, who is himself a player, coach and avid cricket fan, said: “The exciting re-development of the historic Edgbaston cricket ground secures its landmark status, making it a world class venue to host international cricket for Warwickshire and the city of Birmingham.”

Phil Macdonald, operations and development director at Warwickshire County Cricket Club, said: “The redevelopment of the ground and wider master plan will benefit the city by creating new jobs and giving Birmingham a stadium to be proud of.”
http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...5233-22451039/

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #22
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2027

It's going to look fantastic and I can't wait for it to start on-site.
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #23
edgexedge

Likes (Received): 0

Offices?
strange place for them, unless its offices for themselves.

Isnt the Hemisphere / Edgbaston Mill site having retail & restaurants etc?
If the plans have the restaurants etc on the Edgbaston Rd side, at least it will connect with this, & with the rebuilt MAC.

Though i cant imagine offices in the area at all, theres a few on the Bristol Rd, but nothing really until your up by Smallbrook Queensway
edgexedge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #24
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 1018

i dont think they are thinking offices on the scale of city centre offices... but alon the bristol road is a perfect good place!
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #25
feltip

Pershore Road you mean

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #26
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

This area's going to be a real lure when it's finished. A world famous cricket ground (venue of the world's highest individual innings and best ever Ashes game) with hotels, restaurants, cafes, shops, apartments, lovely park and Arts Centre. A real attraction indeed, bring it on!
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #27
edgexedge

As long as they get transport sorted.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #28
smysticed
SSC Geek

Likes (Received): 41

A Meto line through the area would be the icing on the cake. But probably just wishful thinking.
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #29
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

What's wrong with the numerous bus services down Bristol Rd, Pershore Road and the No1 which goes past the ground?
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #30
edgexedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by morestoreysplease View Post
What's wrong with the numerous bus services down Bristol Rd, Pershore Road and the No1 which goes past the ground?
Theres plenty of public transport in the area, just theres no way we could make all the users of the site use it, especially for any planned offices.

A Metro line straight down the Bristol Rd would be ideal, & it could even be built in stages.
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #31
smysticed
SSC Geek

Quote:
Probably the totally irritating experience of using buses in the West Midlands, but that's a different topic alltogether.
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #32
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgexedge View Post
Theres plenty of public transport in the area, just theres no way we could make all the users of the site use it, especially for any planned offices.

A Metro line straight down the Bristol Rd would be ideal, & it could even be built in stages.
There used to be a tramline down the Bristol road I think, that's why the grass verge is so big.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #33
feltip

Indeed there did and if the Varsity Line ever gets past vision stage then it might go back down there.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #34
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

here we are

canarywondergod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #35
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post
Indeed there did and if the Varsity Line ever gets past vision stage then it might go back down there.
It'd be more realistic to turn back time and use the old ones than it would to get new one funded!
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #36
smysticed
SSC Geek

Yes, I will start to get some kind of hopes up about anything to do with the metro once they can sort out a short extension of the current line to New Street Station. They've only been talking about about it for 10-odd years or so.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #37
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

The tramlines down central reservations will never come back. The young saplings have now become mature trees which would block any overhead wiring. I'd rather they turned the Pershore Road into a bus and tramline-only road up to Priory Road (cars could use the parallel Bristol Road) and then any trams could turn left past Edgbaston CG and head off to Moseley.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #38
feltip

Quote:
The tramlines down central reservations will never come back. The young saplings have now become mature trees which would block any overhead wiring. I'd rather they turned the Pershore Road into a bus and tramline-only road up to Priory Road (cars could use the parallel Bristol Road) and then any trams could turn left past Edgbaston CG and head off to Moseley.
Not impossible to deal with Morestoreys a la San Jose California

http://www.terragalleria.com/califor...usca30082.html

and here is Milan

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?9359

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?9234

Due to the close proximity and number of trees we would have to lose some trees but we wouldn't need to lose them all. Though with money and ease you can imagine they'd like to remove lots more trees than necessary. Just look at the fight in Edinburgh with their tramway route going through tree lined streets.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #39
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

But as I have said recently on the Transport thread, I adore our tree-lined boulevards and I suspect we have the most of them in Britain. New tram wires may work given the right prep work but I wouldn't want to see any more trees lost.
Old December 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #40
feltip

The problem with our tree lined streets is we need to get planting new trees in gaps and between existing trees now as by the time the new trees are mature we won't need to worry about the existing ones dying or being lost through time.

Hopefully the new tree friendly policy which allows more trees to be planted without over concern about their effect on cables, pipes etc might encourage more trees to be planted, although we need to plant similar large trees rather than the miniature shorter varieties which council's often think are easier to deal with.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement