Millennium Point MSCP | Cardigan Street | Comp. - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed projects in the West Midlands Region

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3707

Millennium Point MSCP | Cardigan Street | Comp.

Proposed Multi storey car park - Eastside...Apologies if this has already been done, couldn't find a thread anywhere for it, so I thought i'd start my own.
This is the proposal for a new multi storey car park in Eastside, very close to Millennium point. There is a few renders that i managed to capture, so see for yourselves.

Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #2
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 951

Love it! Well spotted BdeE.

Maybe Eastside is moving at last!

I can't exactly get a grip on the location though? Is Howe St the short road leading into Millennium Point car park?
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 272

Oooh errr, very nice indeed! I was half expecting a boring one like on Moat Lane but I suppose that was naive of me! Thanks for the snaps of the renders!

PS. In the future, could you use the regular format for thread titles on projects please. So, in this case; 'Eastside Multi-Storey Car Park | Jennens Road | 7fl | Pro.'
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1351

Woah! fantastic. This is the MSCP behind Millenium point which has been mentioned before i guess. On Jennens road near Etna.

Great design imo, very exciting.
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
PS. In the future, could you use the regular format for thread titles on projects please. So, in this case; 'Eastside Multi-Storey Car Park | Jennens Road | 7fl | Pro.'
Whoops sorry Erebus, i'll remember that for the next time!! I think i was just over- excited
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 554

that is really funky! something like the one in sheffield
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #7
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

I like that they're putting benches next to it, as though someone will be walking through a desolate area of town and think "OH! What a lovely place for a sit down, right next to a car park".

Do you think this proposal has anything to do with the total lack of parking spaces at the new council offices about to be built in Aston?
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

The car park is being built to replace the surface car park to the front of Millennium Point which will be redeveloped as part of the Eastside City Park. It will also provide additional spaces to help alleviate weekend demand on the other city centre car parks and of course to serve Eastside as they expect more visitors in the coming years.

And I do actually like the fact that they are looking at providing benches! Walking around the whole of Eastside and Digbeth is tiring work! Finding a bin around Eastside is a near impossible task too!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old March 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #9
ROYAL BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post
I like that they're putting benches next to it, as though someone will be walking through a desolate area of town and think "OH! What a lovely place for a sit down, right next to a car park".
What are you on about??

Apart from the THOUSANDS of student's who will be housed in the hundreds of new apartments under construction, There's Millenium point already there, the park which will start construction soon(ish) and VTP is still very much a possibility.

Also its Next to 2 University Campus's a collage and soon, offices.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

I was there today and you're right Royal blue, the area was literally thriving. Millenium point and the immediate vicinity was full of coach-loads of school children on trips there. There were students from the Birmingham city university part inside, and as royal blue says...there's much more to come in the pipeline.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11
ROYAL BLUE

Yep,

Think of this area as the next Brindley Place, piece by piece it will grow into a thrieving part of the city centre, kind of like our Education Quarter almost.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #12
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

*Brindleyplace.

Eastside Locks in itself has the potential to become the Brindleyplace of the east. When it was still being named Ventureast, the marketing lot dubbed it as Eastside's Brindleyplace. It's good to see that the whole Education and Learning Quarter critique is still being followed too, although the shelving of the library plans did give it quite a knock. The BCU campus looks to make up for most of this.

The difference between this and Brindleyplace is that Eastside has much more uses than Brindleyplace which is purely office with some hotel rooms and retail units. Here we're looking at educational, cultural, heritage, residential and even legal, on top of the retail and office! Hence why making this area top quality and therefore sustainable so important.

Old March 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #13
fruit&nut
Proud European

Likes (Received): 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_concrete View Post

Do you think this proposal has anything to do with the total lack of parking spaces at the new council offices about to be built in Aston?

We can always rely on "Mr Bitter & Twisted" to try and sapp us all with a negative comment.
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #14
Brummyboy92
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1583

Stunning design, very original!
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #15
brumthom

Likes (Received): 51

On the basis that multi story car parks are the evils of the urban world - horrible, monolitic labyrinths of concrete, foul smells and traffic nightmares - I love it. Very funky indeed.
brumthom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #16
DE51GNR

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post

We can always rely on "Mr Bitter & Twisted" to try and sapp us all with a negative comment.

Love that !
DE51GNR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #17
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfiK_248 View Post
that is really funky! something like the one in sheffield
Was in Sheffield last weekend for the footy and went past the famous carpark, and there is one just before it that is also quite funky, and this Eastside carpark looks like an amalgam between the two.
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #18
Brums'grove

Likes (Received): 63

I like this, i wish more car parks would be original and not just a concrete mass in the middle of a city. Maybe this will put an end to old style car parks and designs will get more competitive.
Brums'grove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #19
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 573

Love it!

A bit of imagination can work wonders. Thanks for the info Bde

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
Was in Sheffield last weekend for the footy and went past the famous carpark, and there is one just before it that is also quite funky, and this Eastside carpark looks like an amalgam between the two.
I was thinking of the one in Sheffield - another good one
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #20
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 187

I like normal multi storeys. They're more concrete-y. Birmingham needs more of them.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
urban design architects