LAUNCESTON - #PROPOSED: Kings Wharf Towers - 2x 13st / residential - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Tasmania

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2019, 04:24 AM   #1
Chuq

Likes (Received): 377

LAUNCESTON - #PROPOSED: Kings Wharf Towers - 2x 13st / residential

https://www.themercury.com.au/thenor...3da8de1bacde7e

Quote:
Launceston businessman Errol Stewart has unveiled plans for a $50 million development which would bring high-end unit living to the city.

CHRISTOPHER TESTA, Mercury
Subscriber only

an hour ago

APARTMENTS proposed as part of a new $50 million development at Launceston’s Kings Wharf would sell for more than $1 million each, proponent Errol Stewart says.

The Launceston businessman today unveiled plans for two 13-level towers at Kings Wharf, on the eastern bank of the Tamar River, each boasting 22 high-end units.

Mr Stewart was optimistic planning approval could be finalised by the end of the year, with the first tower crane to go up on the site of the proposed southern tower on January 1, 2020.

Ten stories would be made up of three bedroom, three bathroom units, with a penthouse on the top two floors.

“(Unit living) has been very well embraced in other capital cities throughout Australia and across the world but not yet Launceston,” Mr Stewart said.

He described the Kings Wharf Towers as “bold, exciting, and most importantly doable”

“It’s important that we get some social licence to build this — I think that’s important for me and I think it’s important for the community,” Mr Stewart said.

“I need the city dwellers, the villagers, to like this development. I wouldn’t do it if they were tremendously against but I don’t think they will be.”

The southern tower is proposed to be built 80 metres from the face of the existing Peppers Silo building, while the northern tower that would follow would be another 80 metres further away.

An indoor pool, gym and other facilities are slated to be built in between the two towers.

“If you had suggested this to me a few years ago, I don’t know that we could’ve stood up here and said we could pull a development of this size off,” Mr Stewart said.

ibuildrocketships liked this post
Chuq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019, 04:28 AM   #2
Chuq

A render, from the Examiner article:

ibuildrocketships, zeehaen liked this post
Old May 31st, 2019, 02:17 PM   #3
castrovalva

Likes (Received): 756

Walking distance to Bunnings.

Chuq liked this post
castrovalva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2019, 05:47 PM   #4
Tasmanian

Likes (Received): 295

While I applaud his ambition (if not his architect), good luck selling 50+ apartments at an average price of $1m+ in Launceston.

castrovalva, hamenw liked this post
Tasmanian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2019, 02:14 AM   #5
Chuq

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/61...-stakeholders/

Quote:
JUNE 1 2019 - 8:01AM
Kings Wharf Towers development praised by industry stakeholders
Tarlia Jordan

The Kings Wharf Towers' plan, put forward by Errol Stewart, has been warmly welcomed by stakeholders.

Launceston Chamber of Commerce executive officer Neil Grose said he was very confident the proposed apartments valued at more than $1 million each would sell.

"Our view as the chamber of commerce is that it is a fantastic development and a fantastic boost of confidence for the city, but what it also highlights is the importance of the Tamar River," he said.

Mr Grose said the proposal proved the river was not just a social asset for Launceston, but also an economical one. Fixing the Tamar must be one of Launceston's priorities over the next few years, he said.

Mr Grose expects buyers for the units to "come from everywhere".

"Investments like this show the rest of Australia, if not the rest of the world, that there is great confidence in Launceston."

Treasurer Peter Gutwein said this proposal would ensure more Tasmanians could be employed, and would improve the amenity of the city.

"I think this is a fantastic development. It's one that we will obviously look very closely at and work closely with Mr Stewart to bring to fruition," he said.

"What this means for the city is that it just adds to the sweep of investments and attractions that we have in Launceston."

City of Launceston mayor Albert van Zetten said it was fantastic to see significant investment projects proposed for Launceston, and the economic confidence that underpinned them.

"We'll be very interested to learn more about it when a Development Application is lodged and that process begins formally," he said.

Australia Property Council Tasmania executive director Brian Wightman said the council was very supportive of inner-city infill across the state.
And some more pics:

Can anyone find a higher quality version of this? It would be nice if we could read the numbers.. it looks like 53 for the stadium lights and 36 or 36.9 for the Silo hotel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement