Official Birmingham Development Thread 49! - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:12 PM   #261
BhamBadger

Likes (Received): 1600

I am just laughing at the image of a "Whip-Around" at Deutsche bank in Frankfurt. Just loads of German Stock Brokers running around panicking. (I'm not sure why)

But yeah, Deutsche Bank, Lloyds bank, Natwest, RBS, they're all around, you think they'd all put in.
BhamBadger no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:46 PM   #262
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 3698

Not a single building in Birmingham or the West Midlands has been handed a national award this year by the Royal Institute of British Architects.

From the post:

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...-riba-11515598
Old June 23rd, 2016, 07:28 PM   #263
nigeman

Likes (Received): 2227

Been trying to find the visual from a few months back, but the multi-storey staff car park and storage facility for JLR on the old Showcase cinema site in Erdington in underway. BAM construction again.

ROYAL BLUE liked this post
nigeman no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #264
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureau des etrangers View Post
Not a single building in Birmingham or the West Midlands has been handed a national award this year by the Royal Institute of British Architects.

From the post:

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...-riba-11515598
TBF you actually have to build something exceptional and that has been thin on the ground in this region.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:28 PM   #265
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5190

Which projects in Birmingham are likely to fall by the wayside because of this result? Are we likely to see much of the work going on at the moment grind to a halt?
RalphGuy está en línea ahora  
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #266
sefton66

Likes (Received): 8229

I personally think anything underway, including colmore row, first 2 buildings of paradise, snowhill will be fine

I think the effect the result will have will be a delay in getting other projects moving so quickly that aren't in the ground already or planning ie snowhill masterplan/ great Charles, I don't think it will be an end to them but just delay any big leaps of confidence for a while again, when the recession happened it took a while to get going again but we really pushed on when things got rolling, I think it will be similar where any new projects will be put on the back burner for a bit but they will come back once thins settle and confidence returns

There's still demand and shortfall for offices and homes regardless so these will carry on in my eyes, may just take a while for anything new to come out of planning
sefton66 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #267
BlackCountryAl
Yam Yam

Likes (Received): 2115

Probably won't stop dandara being built.

Rwnbiad liked this post
BlackCountryAl no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 10:48 PM   #268
Astonian

Likes (Received): 1114

There will be an exodus of jobs from London to Frankfurt, Paris, Tokyo and New York. London is (or was until today) more or less the financial capital of the world and they'll be losing jobs so I can hardly see anyone beating a path to Brum.
Astonian no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #269
Pave.1
Gone

Likes (Received): 177

What on earth do Tokyo and New York have to do with Britain and the EU?

Some people will say anything
Pave.1 no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #270
BhamBadger

I imagine we will see many of the current projects continue. However, I don't think 103 colmore will get out of the ground, and Paradise may be jeopardised.

Isn't much of Paradise funded by Canadian Pension funds, which have taken a MASSIVE hit.
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #271
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Likes (Received): 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonian View Post
There will be an exodus of jobs from London to Frankfurt, Paris, Tokyo and New York. London is (or was until today) more or less the financial capital of the world and they'll be losing jobs so I can hardly see anyone beating a path to Brum.
Doesn't make any sense. A few jobs will inevitably move to Europe to take care of European business but the whole point is that the rest of the world is growing more quickly so they should be more than compensated. There's no need to move jobs to NY or Tokyo.
Harborne Ultimatum no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #272
sefton66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post
I imagine we will see many of the current projects continue. However, I don't think 103 colmore will get out of the ground, and Paradise may be jeopardised.

Isn't much of Paradise funded by Canadian Pension funds, which have taken a MASSIVE hit.
BT pension fund from memory, it was always inevitable a leave vote would rock the boat and cause some temporary shock waves, it'll fade out and recover, it was a knee jerk reaction

I've said from the start whilst David Cameron's stance was remain, with the possibility of a leave vote I think both sides of the argument needed looking at in depth, they should have had contingency plans in place, the offer should have been "we remain with these benefits" if the public vote leave this is what we will implement and how we will follow through with the British publics vote, that would have calmed the waters long before he vote and softened the knee jerk reactions

Regarding the pound, I think whilst it saw a record drop its already recovering less than 24 hours later....
Quote:
John Higgins of Capital Economics said: "While this is still a lot lower than the $1.50 reached late on Thursday (UK time), it is not much different from the level that it reached a week earlier when the opinion polls first began to suggest that a Brexit was likely.
Reading about the stock changes while the ftse saw a big drop, it recovered some ground, but other stock markets especially European looked to have fared worse, not sure what that says but to me suggests it's not so much doom and gloom for brexit but perhaps for the eu?
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:31 AM   #273
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
Reading about the stock changes while the ftse saw a big drop, it recovered some ground, but other stock markets especially European looked to have fared worse, not sure what that says but to me suggests it's not so much doom and gloom for brexit but perhaps for the eu?
What that says is that they sell more to us than we sell to them. Which isn't good news in itself, but it does mean we have some leverage to negotiate a deal. Just seen Juncker again on the TV, that man couldn't have helped the Leave campaign more if he'd been paid by them. Archetypal arrogant eurocrat who thinks he doesn't have to justify himself to anyone. He was interviewed by the BBC's Europe editor:

'Do you think a Brexit will trigger the collapse of the EU?'

'No' he says, and walks off.
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #274
BhamBadger

Sefton, I fear you're taking a far too simplistic view of the world economy on this one.

Remember on both sides, Leave and Remain, they said that Europe is our largest export market. If they both have contracting economies, that is France and Germany, they are less able to do business with us.

The Brexit shock has reverberated, the Nikkei was in such freefall trading was suspended, and the Dow Jones has taken a mighty hit. The DAX and CAC are both down strongly. We are seeing some quite strong signs that there could be a global recession, not neccesarily a large one, but not good.

The FTSE is fairing ok, but it is limited by the performance of other countries, if we have a strong economy and they don't, we won't be doing much business.
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:37 AM   #275
BhamBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
'Do you think a Brexit will trigger the collapse of the EU?'

'No' he says, and walks off.
I mean, he did answer the question at least!
He's not wrong, and as the President of the Council, it isn't really his position to talk about this. The running of the EU is not down to him.
Old June 25th, 2016, 01:48 AM   #276
Harborne Ultimatum
There Can Be Only One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamBadger View Post
I mean, he did answer the question at least!
He's not wrong, and as the President of the Council, it isn't really his position to talk about this. The running of the EU is not down to him.
He gave the impression of someone throwing his toys out of the pram. Which helps no-one.
Old June 25th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #277
Bugbyte
Plant in full sun

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborne Ultimatum View Post
He gave the impression of someone throwing his toys out of the pram. Which helps no-one.
Out of all of the arguments his and others like him's arrogance pushed us to leave. We just don't like being threatened or talked down to.

You can test Democracy by asking simple questions of the powerful - Who put you there, What do you do and if needed how can we get rid of you? It is very difficult for me to answer any of the above (apart from the last one now) regarding these presidents.

I am still in shock to be honest.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

JimboSlice, Harborne Ultimatum liked this post
Bugbyte no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #278
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1605

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing that £350m a week we were giving the EU being spent on the NHS instead, as promised by Johnson and Gove. There should be plenty there to pay for a third Birmingham superhospital.
Billsmothers no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #279
sefton66

another thing the remain camp need to get over, it was never going to be spent on the NHS but it's a good means of measure, we hear how the NHS is struggling yet £350m a week for the eu COULD pay for a new superhospital every week
Old June 25th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #280
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2740

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
another thing the remain camp need to get over, it was never going to be spent on the NHS but it's a good means of measure, we hear how the NHS is struggling yet £350m a week for the eu COULD pay for a new superhospital every week
What kind of propaganda is this lol.

The leave bus had this down the side... you cannot for one second say "it was never going to be spent on the NHS". The suggestion of the slogan was that it can be used to fund it... the interpretation by the masses was that it would be used to fund the NHS.

It's like buying a car that is advertised as having up to 350bhp but then finding out once you purchase it that it's configured for 50bhp and the other 300bhp is a possibility but only if you don't use air con, power steering and the radio...

It is a clear backtrack and politicians of all colours should be held to account for bull like that. But because of the thought that you express (basically, you should have known it weren't true) they do it time and time again as they get excused by people with that mentality.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype

TJF liked this post

Last edited by djay; June 25th, 2016 at 03:42 PM.
djay no está en línea  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread