LONG ISLAND | General Developments Updates/Compilation - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

LONG ISLAND | General Developments Updates/Compilation

SSC:

I am thinking of starting a new thread dedicated to Long Island. I now reside here, and there is a decent amount going on with respect to development. There is a very big push for smart growth and transit-oriented development occurring, and a lot of large-scale projects that are on the drawing board and/or started. I hope to get some additional contributors. In the meantime, I'll slowly try to start posting items related to LI and eventually get some pics posted.

Cheers ~
Urbanica
Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Urbanica

Farmingdale

Farmingdale is a small village near the Suffolk/Nassau border. It is centered around a Long Island Railroad station, and has a revitalizing downtown. The village has recently implemented a new master plan that is encouraging more density/smart growth. Here are renderings of two projects downtown that I beleive have both been approved:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Its good stuff as Long Island slowly climbs out of its 1960s/1970s car culture mentality.

Cheers
~Urbanica

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Urbanica

East Side Access/Transit Oriented Development

Great article on the Long Island RailRoad East Side access project. This project will allow for LIRR commuters to have two LIRR Terminals in Manhattan, one at Penn Station, the other in Midtown at Grand Central. For Long Island, the article mentions its benefits for TOD that is being considered all over the island:

"Supporters say the project will increase property values for 400,000 Long Island homeowners, create hundreds of thousands more potential commuters and give boosts to economic development initiatives, including Wyandanch Rising and planned transit hubs in Ronkonkoma and East Farmingdale."

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york...hase-1.5880254

All three of the projects mentioned are very exciting; the Ronkonkoma and East Farmingdale projects will create new downtowns where there currently are none, all centered around LIRR stations. I specifically love the Wyandanch project, called "Wynadanch Rising" which involves a new downtown core adjacent to the LIRR station in what is considered one of the most distressed and blighted communities on Long Island. The first residential building broke ground last month (5 story mixed use). Eventually I'll get over there and post some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Urbanica

Winning Bidder Chosen for Nassau Coliseum Redo

Ratner's Nassau Events Center to renovate Coliseum

"Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano has chosen Forest City Ratner's Nassau Events Center to renovate the Nassau Coliseum, in a deal that could transform the 77-acre property in the heart of the county and provide Nassau with millions of dollars a year in new revenues....

...Forest City Ratner's $229 million proposal calls for a renovated 13,000-seat arena, a 2,000-seat indoor theater, an outdoor amphitheater, restaurants, an ice-skating rink and retail space. Under the plan, the Islanders would play six home regular or preseason games at the renovated Coliseum."

from http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...seum-1.5897194
Old September 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Urbanica

Wyandanch Rising Info

As mentioned, the Wyandanch Rising project has broken ground. Its a major coup for a hugely distressed community here on LI. From:

http://bettercities.net/article/majo...g-island-20346

Major transit-oriented project begins in suburban Long Island
An overhaul has begun for one of the most distressed neighborhoods in the New York City inner-ring suburbs.

Better! Cities & Towns
The Albanese Organization of Garden City, New York, is breaking ground on the first phase of a $500 million redevelopment in Wyandanch, a community of about 10,000 in the Town of Babylon, Long Island.

The regulating plan and code by Torti Gallas and Partners recently won the annual Driehaus Award from the Form-Based Coding Institute (FBCI) in Chicago.

The project breaks new ground for transit-oriented development in the suburbs of densely populated Long Island, which make up most of the 1,400 square mile land area. The community is an inner-ring suburb that has been in decline for many decades.

The area has an unusual combination of urban blight, automobile-oriented commercial buildings and thoroughfares, a commuter rail station, and an old, human-scale street grid.

“The Code is intended to transform the existing 142-acre suburban corridor and transit station area characterized by odd-shaped parcels, brownfields sites, surface parking, blighted buildings and lack of open space into a cohesive, pedestrian-friendly downtown,” notes the FBCI.

The revitalization effort, called Wyandanch Rising, is designed as the kind of dynamic mixed-use environment that is rare on suburban Long Island, all focused on the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) station.

image hosted on flickr

Nexis liked this post

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #6
Urbanica

Good Growth at Stony Brook University

Breaking Ground on New Medical Research Building to Break New Ground in Medical Research

New MART facility will focus on research, top health issues and create jobs on Long Island

STONY BROOK, NY, November 14, 2013 - Stony Brook University broke ground to showcase the start of construction on its new Medical and Research Translation (MART) Building on the Stony Brook Medicine campus. The ceremony took place with hundreds of physicians, administrators and staff on hand to celebrate the start of the new project, and where President Samuel L. Stanley Jr., M.D., with help from those who made it possible, Jim Simons, Governor Andrew Cuomo, SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher, along with Kevin S. Law, President & CEO of the Long Island Association, and chair of the Stony Brook Council, unearthed the first shovels full of dirt to get the $194 million MART building project officially underway.

from

http://stonybrookmedicine.edu/newsroom/MART

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Urbanica

Farmingdale follow-up

Official Touts ‘Future Of Suburbia’ With Groundbreaking In Farmingdale

image hosted on flickr

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/...roundbreaking/

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Officials broke ground Wednesday on a mixed-use complex in Farmingdale, Long Island.
As WCBS 880 Long Island Bureau Chief Mike Xirinachs reported, when complete, Jefferson Plaza will consist of 154 units of luxury housing and retail space.
The development is going in right next to the Farmingdale Long Island Rail Road train station and is within walking distance to the downtown.
Farmingdale’s mayor said the project is critical to the future of suburbia.
“This is so important to not only our village but the villages throughout Long Island,” Mayor Ralph Ekstrand told Xirinachs.
The $38 million project is aimed at keeping young people on Long Island.
“With these transit-oriented developments, they can get these luxury apartments, they can downsize to one car , they can commute on the LIRR,” said Ekstrand. “A godsend in revitalizing our area.”

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Urbanica

Not Exactly Smart Growth But...

Nice redevelopment of a blighted 1960's era warehouse that has been vacant for a number of years. Still total suburbia, but its definitely an improvement. The site is located in the Roosevelt Field area, which is part of the "Nassau Hub" area of Nassau Country and is the county center for shopping, higher education, etc...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/t...erty-1.6472051

Fitness club proposed for old Fortunoff Clearance Center property

image hosted on flickr

Photo credit: Zeckendorf LLC | A rendering of the three-story fitness complex and parking garage at the former Fortunoff's Clearance Center building, on 750 Zeckendorf Blvd. in Garden City

A new redevelopment proposal could put a family-geared fitness complex on the site of the former Fortunoff's Clearance Center property in Garden City.
"This has been a dilapidated eyesore for the area," Steven Krieger, principal of the Engel Burman Group, said at Wednesday's appeals board meeting, pointing out the site's proximity to Roosevelt Field mall and the Meadowbrook State Parkway. "This is a huge improvement for the area."
The plan calls for constructing a 130,000-square-foot building and demolishing the existing 187,000-square-foot structure. It would have 669 parking spaces for, more than the 651 required. If the plan is approved, construction would begin in the spring, with an expected opening date in spring 2015.

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Urbanica

Riverside

Riverside is a little known hamlet on the other side of the Peconic River from Riverhead. My memory of it from years ago is just an average road through an area that lacks any cohesive center. Apparently the Town of Southampton wants to make a village center there, in the spirit of Long Island villages such as Greenport and Sag Harbor (two awesome little villages on Long Island's East End).

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/t...vamp-1.6523030

Southampton selects developer for Riverside revamp
Southampton has selected a well-known master developer to revitalize Riverside, one of the town's most blighted hamlets.
Plainview-based Renaissance Downtowns, which has done work in Huntington Station, Hempstead and on the Nassau Coliseum Hub project, will coordinate the redevelopment.
"This starts to bring the community's long-awaited vision to fruition," Councilwoman Christine Scalera said last week
She said Renaissance Downtowns has committed to opening a storefront in the area "right away."
Renaissance Downtowns is scheduled to present its proposal publicly on Thursday at the town board's work session.
"We're extremely excited," Renaissance Downtowns president and CEO Donald Monti said in an interview. "We've had our eyes on this for quite some time."
The main street, Flanders Road, is populated mostly by shuttered store fronts tagged with graffiti. A town committee has said it wants Riverside to have the look and feel of Sag Harbor or Greenport, Scalera said.
Earlier town plans have included a pedestrian bridge over the Peconic River linking Riverside to downtown Riverhead.
Monti said the prior work done by the town will be incorporated into the new process.
He also said his group would hold meetings and use social media to get community input on the development.
Old December 18th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Urbanica

Freeport - Freeport Plaza West

Freeport is a large village (43,000K+) on Long Islands South Shore. The village completed a master plan to help redevelop its underutillized downtown. One site in particular (Freeport Plaza West) just south of the Long Island Railroad station has been empty for years and has had various proposals come and go, some of which were held up by ongoing litigation regarding the site. It appears that has settled finally, and the village has sent out an RFP for redevelopment of the site a few months ago. Should be exciting as what is proposed. I am hoping for 5-7 story transit oriented apartments, retail, perhaps a hotel. The due date for the RFP is sometime in January 2014.

From the village website (opens the RFP):

http://freeportny.gov/documents/7/20...1505323199.pdf

red0eagle335 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #11
red0eagle335

Likes (Received): 34

Keep us updated Urbanica.

If I come across any news or developments I'll try to post them here.
red0eagle335 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM   #12
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0eagle335 View Post
Keep us updated Urbanica.

If I come across any news or developments I'll try to post them here.
Redeagle - THX! There is a reasonable amount going on here on LI, and eventually I'll get around to start taking some pics. Its great to have another SSP poster here!
Old December 23rd, 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
red0eagle335

Don't know if my post meets the thread requirements but I'm going to post about the recent developments at the State University of New York at Old Westbury.

In Fall 2012 the New Academic Building was completed, estimated cost was around $64million

http://o1.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dim...b1b6e91e468541

The school is also renovating it's campus center, library and other projects which are in dire need. The new library is expected to be "state of the art" and will finish in 1-2 years(Construction is currently underway)

In total the Library will get almost a $20million dollar renovation, the campus center will get a $21million renovation to improve the looks and design of the building and there's an 600k renovations in co-generation improvements.

You can get more info here
http://www.sucf.suny.edu/project/mcp/oldwestbury.pdf

It'll be interesting to see how the university develops. Might be a good affordable alternative for students in the area instead of going to pricier schools.

I don't have any photos to post however.
Old December 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18459

Anything in Long Beach?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #15
Middle-Island

New Cassel in east-central Nassau Co. (about 10,000 as well) had been an extremely blighted locality for decades. A major revitalization took place the last several years along main artery Prospect Av. Hundreds of modern apts. were constructed, improved sidewalks, lighting, trees planted. The town looks 200% better ... less thuggish looking foot traffic. The sight of quality retail has been a little slow to fill in at ground level, though. Still about 30% vacant. New Cassel is about half a mile or so from the Westbury train station.

The proposal for Wyandanch is truly shocking as it appears to involve far more than the main drag. This place has been just as blighted as New Cassel, if not likely worse. Not sure I'd consider it "inner ring" though. It's a good 35 miles from Manhattan. Another revitalization in Patchogue (about 50 miles from NY) has been considered a great success. Not great in scale, but some residential units close to the DT and the rail station.
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Anything in Long Beach?
No, not that I know of. Other than a LOT of construction related to people rebuilding houses after Hurricane Sandy, I am not aware of any larger-scale projects UC or planned in Long Beach. The new boardwalk is amazing though; it should be with the price $40MM+.
Old December 30th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
red0eagle335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanica View Post
No, not that I know of. Other than a LOT of construction related to people rebuilding houses after Hurricane Sandy, I am not aware of any larger-scale projects UC or planned in Long Beach. The new boardwalk is amazing though; it should be with the price $40MM+.
Is there a site or blog you get your development info from(if you have one)? I'm curious to see some developments across the tri-state area.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by red0eagle335 View Post
Is there a site or blog you get your development info from(if you have one)? I'm curious to see some developments across the tri-state area.
Redeagle - No, I dont have any particular sources. I just pay attention to the news and know LI pretty well.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Urbanica

North Hills - Condo Development

Definitely trying to capture that Long Island Gold Coast look. Definitely sprawl, next to the LIE/Northern Parkway a few miles from the Queens line. Cutting down a lot of trees for this one:

image hosted on flickr

Image from RXR Realty

http://rxrrealty.com/news/featured/7...the-island-now

News
North Hills Approves RXR Condo Plan (The Island Now)
December 2, 2013

The North Hills Village Board unanimously gave conditional approval last Wednesday night to RXR Realty’s amended plan for a $300 million 244-unit condominium complex along the south service road of the Long Island Expressway between Powerhouse Road and New Hyde Park Road.

Under terms of the approval, RXR will be required to submit a revised parking plan for one condominium building in response to concerns among North Hills board members.

North Hills village attorney Thomas Levin said the county planning commission approved the RXR’s plan and advised the board that the village could condition its approval based on a resolution of the parking issue.

“You could approve this. [RXR] would have to come back with the parking plan,” Levin said during the public hearing that preceded the board’s vote.

RXR project manager Frank Haftel assured Village of North Hills Mayor Marvin Natiss the plan for the complex could be easily corrected. He said the number of spaces provided in the 64-unit condominium’s ground floor parking garage had been increased to 124 since the submission of RXR’s amended plan for the condo complex last month and complied with the village’s parking code.

“We would appreciate your approval subject to your being satisfied with this,” Haftel said.

The development, which will be known as The Residence at North Hills, will contain five condominiums that will be managed by Ritz Carlton.

RXR Realty, which touts itself as the leading real estate owner, manager and developer in the Tri-State New York on its Web site, has sought to develop the property since an affiliate bought the previous owner, North Hills LLC, in 2007.

Haftel said the village approved an earlier condominium plan from North Hills LLC in mid-November 2006. He said RXR subsequently paid the Village of North Hills $21 million in lieu of community amenities in 2007.

But, Haftel said last year, in 2008 RXR “took a step back” from project to decide what to do in the face of a dismal real estate market.

When they returned last year, RXR’s revised plan for the development called for 124 units to be constructed in the first phase that would be made available as “rent-to-own” units. RXR officials also filed an application for $4.6 million in property tax reductions from the Nassau County Industrial Development Agency under a 20-year tax abatement.

Natiss originally said he opposed any rental units being included in the plan, but later said he was willing to compromise on the issue and accept “a very limited number of units for rental.”

Haftel said following the meeting that he is working with Natiss to determine the number of rental units.

“Now we are proposing that fewer units would be rental units and a much shorter time period,” Haftel said.

He also said he was working Natiss on the tax abatement it was seeking from the IDA, which is based on the number of rental units.

Natiss had originally opposed RXR’s application for the $4.6 million in property tax reductions from the IDA, saying that a residential development should not receive such tax benefits.

Haftel presented and amended plan last month that included the addition of a fifth floor to each of the development’s five condominiums but said the height of each building would remain unchanged at 60 feet.

The buildings, he said, would contain from 40 to 60 units, depending on the size of the units.

Louis Soloway, a lawyer representing RXR, said the complex would be constructed in two phases due to financing considerations, with two buildings to be built in the first phase along with a complex clubhouse.

He also said RXR had eliminated plans for underground parking, making space for cars to be parked on the ground floor of each building.

Robert Eschbacher of Patchogue-based VHP Engineering, testified last week that the four outdoor parking spaces which were added “will cause no greater risk to anyone than any other spaces in the vicinity.”

But Natiss and North Hills Deputy Mayor Dennis Sgambati expressed concerns the safety of outdoor parking spaces.

Natiss said was concerned about a condo resident walking outside and having an accident in inclement weather.

“I want to see the [parking spaces] enclosed and I think everybody else does. I think you can enclose it,” Natiss told Haftel.

Haftel said he would consult with RXR’s traffic engineers and provide a revised plan within days.

After the hearing, Haftel said he was “elated” at receiving the conditional approval.

“I’m looking forward to building a project that is going to be a source of pride to North Hills and Nassau County,” Haftel said.

In last month’s initial hearing on the amended plan, RXR responded to concerns of environmentalists who objected to the prospective loss of 17 acres of Grace Forest located in the area the condo complex will be constructed.

RXR officials said they had revised plans to minimize the loss of trees.

Those environmentalists were not present at Wednesday night’s hearing and no one at the hearing raised any other objections to the project.

Haftel said financing for the project is in place and construction on the project would begin in the next few months.

Last edited by Urbanica; January 20th, 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:06 AM   #20
Middle-Island

Yeah Reckson is great for cutting down trees...not so great for their uninspired designs and crappy office complex sprawl littering Long Island. Oooo "RXR" sounds so James Bond and enigmatic--not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lirr, long island, new york, ronkonkoma