LONG ISLAND | General Developments Updates/Compilation - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City > NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT

NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT Westchester and Rockland counties | Nassau and Suffolk counties | Fairfield County

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #161
Urbanica

Likes (Received): 93

Farmingdale - Downtown - More TOD

Another 45 units planned for downtown Farmingdale accross from the train station. Can't find a rendering anywhere. This one will replace an ugly truck supply store as depicted in the link. Good stuff.

http://patch.com/new-york/levittown-...ale-apartments

County Approves $8M Transit-Oriented Farmingdale Apartments
Construction begins in the fall and will be completed by summer 2016.
By Paige McAtee (Patch Staff)
July 29, 2015

The proposal for an $8 million apartment project in downtown Farmingdale has been approved and is expected to give Nassau County a $21.4 million economic boost, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano and the Nassau County Industrial Development Agency announced Wednesday.

This project will offer new rental options to residents and provide a boost to businesses in downtown Farmingdale and eastern Nassau.

Mangano said his administration has made it a priority to increase the number of transit-oriented housing options across Nassau County, which is lacking in rental housing compared to other areas in the tri-state.

“My economic development team and I have helped create 1,350 new rental housing opportunities and this project, in the heart of Farmingdale, brings additional rental options to the neighborhood while generating millions in economic benefits for our local economy,” Mangano said in a statement.

The rental units have been approved, are under construction or are already built. This compact, which was approved by the IDA board at its meeting on Tuesday, will allow Cornerstone at Farmingdale to construct a 42-unit apartment building at 100 Secatogue Ave. The building will be a close distance to the Long Island Rail Road.

About 10 percent of the new apartments would be set aside as affordable units.

The construction, which will begin in the fall and be completed by summer 2016, is expected to create 20 construction jobs and one permanent position.

Long Island is significantly lagging in providing suburban rental housing, according to the Nassau County Executive’s office. Long Island Index reports that rental properties on Long Island represent 21 percent of all housing, compared to 35 percent in Westchester and southwestern Connecticut and 37 percent in northern New Jersey.

“The Village of Farmingdale applauds the IDA and County Executive Mangano for their continuing efforts to bring workforce housing to our downtown.” Farmingdale Village Mayor Ralph Ekstrand said in a statement.
Urbanica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #162
Urbanica

Lynbrook - Downtown - 6 story hotel/parking garage?

Just saw this in Newsday, a proposal to replace a commuter lot with a three story Courtyard by Marriott atop a 3 story garage. Pretty interesting. This is blocks from the Long Island Railroad in the thick of downtown. Supposedly the village has been very receptive.

The Village needs to clean up the streetscape around there, it is a messy tangle of utility lines in the area.

http://www.newsday.com/business/lynb...age-1.10719776

A $20 million, 156-room hotel that would rest atop a three-story parking garage could be coming to replace an aging municipal lot in the Village of Lynbrook.

Developer Lee Browning Sr., owner of Ronkonkoma-based Browning Hotel Properties, met with village officials late last month to present several conceptual plans for the proposed Courtyard by Marriott on the site of a 1-acre commuter parking lot at the corner of Langdon Place and Broadway. Browning is working on a full, site-specific rendering of the six-story hotel that he expects to put before the village board next month.

"The village is endorsing the project, and we have signed [an agreement] with the village for the property," said Browning, who has been trying to build on the lot for nearly four years. "We're on track."

....more in the article
Old August 10th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #163
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18459

Very messy indeed , hopefully they'll throw in some TOD aswell... They should reduce a lane on Sunrise highway in the Downtown area and widen the sidewalks. A few Garages should be built in the Downtown and the rest of the surface lots should be converted to mixed use TOD. Nearby Valley Stream should do the same.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Noah48 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #164
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Very messy indeed , hopefully they'll throw in some TOD aswell... They should reduce a lane on Sunrise highway in the Downtown area and widen the sidewalks. A few Garages should be built in the Downtown and the rest of the surface lots should be converted to mixed use TOD. Nearby Valley Stream should do the same.
Yes, the built environment in both Lynbrook and Valley Stream leave a LOT to be desired. Lynbrook is noticeably nicer, but downtown is a mess of wires everywhere. In my opinion, if Lynbrook was put together nicely in terms of cleaning up the visual mess, it would be somewhat of a premier south shore spot; the demographics and street activity are definitely there.

I am not sure if Sunrise Hwy would ever be given a road diet...its too important a commuter route. Would be nice though.
Old August 11th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #165
Nexis
Dark Wolf

They need to up zone both Downtown areas and allow for buildings up to 10 stories... Im sure you could divert some traffic away from Sunrise and then diet it...
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:14 PM   #166
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Brookhaven Planning Board hears mostly support for massive Ronkonkoma Hub project
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 02:26 PM   #167
Urbanica

Old August 25th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #168
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Baldwin -- 2408-2416 Grand Avenue

Another site to keep an eye on:

Grand Ave. improvement plan moving forward
Town to seek request for qualifications from developers for site

By Adrienne Lyons
August 20, 2015

Quote:
The Town of Hempstead will slightly modify its procedure for finding a developer for the blighted property at the corner of Grand Avenue and Merrick Road.

The town will issue a request for qualifications from potential developers of the parcel rather than a request for proposals. This new request is expected to go out within a few weeks.

[...]

So far, those involved in the redevelopment project remain open to a range of options for the site, although Chamber of Commerce President Erik Mahler’s suggestion of a pedestrian-friendly development with retail shops on the ground level and residential units upstairs seems to be among the more popular ideas. “That would be the most economical idea,” he said.

[...]
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #169
Urbanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
Another site to keep an eye on:

Grand Ave. improvement plan moving forward
Town to seek request for qualifications from developers for site

By Adrienne Lyons
August 20, 2015
Tubeworm - this corner is an ongoing saga for years and in my opinion shows that the Town of Hempstead doenst know anything about planning, revitalization, and getting things done. Perhaps I am still bitter over the Coliseum redevelopment plan and their killing of the Lighthouse project. Regardless, fingers crossed, AGAIN, for this corner.
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #170
Noah48

Likes (Received): 14

Any updates on Freeport development? Im tired of my town going to waist!
Noah48 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #171
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The Town is perfect for some large scale TOD along with neighboring Merrick and Baldwin. But I haven't heard anything.. Long Island is very slow when it comes to TOD and Urban Revitalizing in general compared to Urban Jersey or the Connecticut where its on fire. With a project in just about every other railroad town. Its a stubborn Island , that refuses to change for the better despite the fact that its dying.
Old August 28th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #172
Noah48

Quote:
The Town is perfect for some large scale TOD along with neighboring Merrick and Baldwin. But I haven't heard anything.. Long Island is very slow when it comes to TOD and Urban Revitalizing in general compared to Urban Jersey or the Connecticut where its on fire. With a project in just about every other railroad town. Its a stubborn Island , that refuses to change for the better despite the fact that its dying.
I know and whats crazy is that this area has the most convenience with the nautical mile, long island rail road, sunrise highway which can take you directly to the belt, and has the most land on the south end where developers can come and do their thing. The only notable improvement to Freeport is the local shopping center that they are fixing on Merrick road and it's only a renovation.
Old August 29th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #173
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I think LI is slowly changing with numerous TOD's planned along the Main/Ronkonkoma Line... I think the South Shore just needs a push... Patchogue seems to have attracted some developers to its Downtown , I posted pictures a few pages back.
Old August 30th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #174
Noah48

Quote:
I think LI is slowly changing with numerous TOD's planned along the Main/Ronkonkoma Line... I think the South Shore just needs a push... Patchogue seems to have attracted some developers to its Downtown , I posted pictures a few pages back.
I think the best bet for the south side is to up-zone the areas south of the rail to promote mixed use development and rehabilitation of areas like Merrick road and Sunrise Highway. Another option that should be considered is to add eye candy like tree's and plants along the road to make the area look more attractive. The main street that extends from Freeport to Hempstead should be taken advantage of being that it provides easy access to Hofstra. I believe that bike lanes should be added to promote less use of cars and more use of greener alternatives. I feel as though Brooklyn avenue also deserves more apartment complexes (look at the success of 110 Brooklyn Ave) I always see people walking from those apartments to Main street and the LIRR. The people there communicate and definitely are an example of community. Brooklyn avenue is near the town hall and only 2 blocks from the rail and has easy access to parking and sunrise highway along with a local park about 4 blocks away.
Old August 31st, 2015, 05:04 AM   #175
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah48 View Post
I think the best bet for the south side is to up-zone the areas south of the rail to promote mixed use development and rehabilitation of areas like Merrick road and Sunrise Highway. Another option that should be considered is to add eye candy like tree's and plants along the road to make the area look more attractive. The main street that extends from Freeport to Hempstead should be taken advantage of being that it provides easy access to Hofstra. I believe that bike lanes should be added to promote less use of cars and more use of greener alternatives. I feel as though Brooklyn avenue also deserves more apartment complexes (look at the success of 110 Brooklyn Ave) I always see people walking from those apartments to Main street and the LIRR. The people there communicate and definitely are an example of community. Brooklyn avenue is near the town hall and only 2 blocks from the rail and has easy access to parking and sunrise highway along with a local park about 4 blocks away.
Sunrise Hwy is still the big elephant in the way...it needs to be overhauled and made more pedestrian and bike friendly... I do agree with all your Hempstead ideas , I think they would greatly benefit the city and attract more developers to the area. I would also restore the Oyster Bay connection between West Hempstead Station and East Williston Station. That way you add more service to the Oyster Bay Branch without adding a burden to the Main Line. I would add stations at Atlantic Ave in Hempstead & 11th Street in Garden City. I would then upzone that corridor...and push for higher densities... I would also restore the Central Branch between Garden City and Farmingdale adding stations at East Garden City , Newbridge Road (Levittown) , North Wantage Road (Levittown) , South Farmingdale & West Babylon...
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:57 AM   #176
Middle-Island

Last edited by Middle-Island; August 31st, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Middle-Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:56 PM   #177
Noah48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle-Island View Post
???
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:03 PM   #178
Noah48

Quote:
They need to up zone both Downtown areas and allow for buildings up to 10 stories... Im sure you could divert some traffic away from Sunrise and then diet it...
Let's just admit we all want city life!
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM   #179
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah48 View Post
Let's just admit we all want city life!
And some Rural life.... LI needs to save its remaining rural areas from being consumed by Sprawl.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #180
Noah48

Quote:
And some Rural life.... LI needs to save its remaining rural areas from being consumed by Sprawl.
I must give in on that one though if people were open to these ideas we could make rooftop farming which may be better than regular farming. Yes, sprawls need to stop. If I ever become a developer, I will buy everyone off and demolish it all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lirr, long island, new york, ronkonkoma