Whitechapel Square | Whitechapel | Refused - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #41
Capital74

Likes (Received): 16

This will be a great addition, that entire end of Whitechapel will be filled out with the new OSD as well as new cluster by the Hospital on the south side of the road
Capital74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 04:32 AM   #42
Hoxton

Likes (Received): 18

Re "The resistance commences"

Will Palin is one of the movers and shakers behind The East End Preservation Society, successfully mobilising action against the Bishopsgate Goodsyard, Blossom St development etc - in fact virtually all the major developments in the East End.

He is 'the son of' which can't hurt with publicity; the Society has achieved high visibility in a very short time. Articles on its FB page have links making it easy to sign petitions or email the relevant planning department. My post count is to low to enable me to provide a 'Comments' link to Tower Hamlets Planning but anyone wishing to have a say on the Whitechapel scheme can easily find it by searching for PA/15/00837 on the Environment and Planning section of the TH website.
Hoxton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:32 AM   #43
Storeys
Hello

Likes (Received): 1008

Some areas of London have been neglected for a long time. As a result, they've been left with poor quality architecure, with no real character. Now, a lot of these areas are being targeted as areas of regeneration. In my opinion, areas like Whitechapel are in real need of regeneration and high quality high rise buildings wouldn't ruin the areas character, but would add character and quality. The same could be said of the area of Shoreditch closest to the Square Mile. There has to be flexibility in London for tall buildings and areas in need of regeneration can provide a solution to build tall buildings as well as enhancing those areas.
Storeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2015, 10:45 AM   #44
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5577

Most serious developers don't give a twit about what is written on twitter and certainly couldn't give a pig's ..... to some cronies who write on the network.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:22 AM   #45
Hoxton

Developers need to get their plans approved. Public pressure can - very occasionally - sway a planning committte's decision. David Chipperfield's plans for the Geffreye extension were rejected following a campaign spearheaded by the East End Preservation Society.
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:41 AM   #46
london lad

Likes (Received): 3742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxton View Post
Will Palin is one of the movers and shakers behind The East End Preservation Society, successfully mobilising action against the Bishopsgate Goodsyard, Blossom St development etc - in fact virtually all the major developments in the East End.

He is 'the son of' which can't hurt with publicity; the Society has achieved high visibility in a very short time. Articles on its FB page have links making it easy to sign petitions or email the relevant planning department. My post count is to low to enable me to provide a 'Comments' link to Tower Hamlets Planning but anyone wishing to have a say on the Whitechapel scheme can easily find it by searching for PA/15/00837 on the Environment and Planning section of the TH website.

The trouble with showing support for a scheme to a planning department it is inevitably drowned out by objectors, who through social media these days are easily able to drum up an online petition and set up templates for people to object. This inevitably gets local councillors onboard who want to get votes in the area and would prefer not receiving hassle from well organised objectors so the whole thing really depends on if the planning department is being rational and the proponents of the scheme making sure they have ticked all the relevant planning boxes to justify the scheme.

Even then it falls to the councillors to make a decision.

I went to a couple of the Bishopsgates Goodyards consultations that went on for almost 2 years before the application was submitted. Countless changes were made to the scheme and although there was obviously lots against the plans there was also a fair few in favour of redevelopment. But as soon as the application was submitted and objectors piped up all the previous consultation was forgotten and ignored and it turned into the usual “nasty developer to build empty sky and light stealing tower blocks to evil rich foreigners at the expense of the poor and disposed of the local village”.

Of course it swings both ways. I hope the objections and media coverage for KCL Strand proposals see it refused but there is defiantly a growing anti-development streak growing, particularly in parts of East London that seems to be against development, particularly anything tall just for the sake of it.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:02 PM   #47
E1view

Likes (Received): 772

I think the Sainsbury's Whitechapel development is a different case to Shoreditch - it's not a trendy area in the same way and its tucked round the back of the high street, and not very tall. If they were trying to dismantle to street markets it might be a different case. I can't see as many complaints about regenerating what is basically a Sainsbury's, a car park and the tatty back streets surrounding. I certainly can't see much of value there and would be surprised if many people would have much drive to retain the current 'character' of the area.
E1view no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:16 PM   #48
Hoxton

I think the East End Preservation Society just objects to tall buildings on principle! A knee jerk reaction. I have been to some of the lectures they've organised and support some of their protests - like london lad I deplore the KCL proposal for the Strand - but I do think that theirs is not the only voice that should be heard.
Old April 21st, 2015, 05:28 PM   #49
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 5577

Since I don't live anywhere near Whitechapel and have no desire to ever go there, it doesn't have such an impact on my reasoning. But it does seem that of all places that could do with a makeover, it is this part of London and objections seem to be simply for the sake of getting a voice heard.

I don't know what this proposed development is replacing but perhaps it is to replace a village-like community with characteristic pubs and fayre and pleasant little quiet green spaces - perhaps there is even a green with stocks.
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:39 PM   #50
hugh

Likes (Received): 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesVpelli View Post
I don't know what this proposed development is replacing but perhaps it is to replace a village-like community with characteristic pubs and fayre and pleasant little quiet green spaces - perhaps there is even a green with stocks.
No doubt with a requisite village idiot.

stinkysteel liked this post
hugh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:40 AM   #51
Capital74

Actually one point which maybe the more knowledgeable forum members can opine on; what is the impact on building height of the air ambulance at the nearby Royal London Hospital?
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:12 AM   #52
E1view

I don't claim to be knowledgeable on such things, but I see the helicopter going over quite a bit and it tends to fly high then lower down directly onto the roof, so not too much I would have thought. It's pretty agile. There were some other proposals just south of the hospital and the tallest seemed to be flush with the hospital roof, maybe the ambulance was a consideration in that.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 01:13 AM   #53
OnwardsAndUpwards

Likes (Received): 1123

I used to live in Albion Yard, which is the former brewery sandwiched between the Crossrail works site, Sainsburys and Whitechapel Road. It is also referenced in the concept documents. From what I hear locals are not against this proposal. They know that the development of the area is beneficial to them in the long run even though the Crossrail works have been VERY disruptive. They will be looking to get the best deal for themselves and looking at genuine concerns such as right to light (shouldn't be too much of a problem with the tower's location near Cambridge Heath Road). It is not an area overburdened with nimbies.

This scheme looks very good to me. Whitechapel has a very diverse building stock with much to protect. Buildings like the old Royal London Hospital, Albion Yard and the Almshouses on Mile End Road must be preserved. They will not be blighted by mid-level towers, provided they are of good quality. There is some 21st century glass-fronted architecture in the area in the form of the Idea Store as well as the new hospital. In my opinion this works well with the old. What certainly does not need protecting is the Sainsbury car park.

The brewery cellars extend a significant distance under the car park. They also extend under Whitechapel Road. They cannot be very deep as they were abandoned as a bomb shelter during WW2 when it was realised that just how little protection they would provide. I don't know if these cellars would help or hinder the proposal. They have decent headroom. They're quite spooky so I never explored their full extent.

I don't know what legal restrictions the hospital helicopter would place on this building. However, it is a significant distance away from the tower and the helicopter rises quite steeply. Personally I wouldn't want a tower significantly taller than that proposed in any case.

London needs more developments like this.

stevekeiretsu, SE9, Storeys, .Adam, Union Man liked this post
OnwardsAndUpwards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #54
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79300

The Whitechapel Vision, of which Whitechapel Square is a constituent part, has been nominated for a planning award. From the April edition of the Architects Datafile magazine:

Whitechapel on the tube map in a few years' time. Major interchange for Crossrail, the London Overground, the District and H&C lines:

Old April 26th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #55
Capital74

Going to get some decent density here and rightly so in the next 5-15 years. Forgive me for being somewhat OT but I wonder how often people on these boards are in contact with the planning authorities (as part of the consultations) supporting proposals? It seems with people such as Will Palin mentioned earlier there is a cohesive "preservationist" lobby while modern (tall) architecture lacks such champions. I for one will be in touch with the planners recommending this development, love the finishes. Reminds me of a couple of the new towers going up near the High Line in NY, e.g. Abington House

Hoxton, TheWhiteWolf liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #56
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 79300

Historic England (English Heritage) object to the proposal 'in the strongest terms possible': http://planreg.towerhamlets.gov.uk/W...df&pageCount=1
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #57
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 13630

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Historic England (English Heritage) object to the proposal 'in the strongest terms possible': http://planreg.towerhamlets.gov.uk/W...df&pageCount=1
Summary :

The proposals include the construction of a tall building reaching a height of 116+m AOD at the development site’s perimeter with Cambridge Heath Road. The proposals will result in harmful impacts to the significance of the Grade I listed Trinity Green Almshouses, the Grade II Albion Brewery, and to the Whitechapel area more generally. Historic England concludes that the extent of this harm to the significance of the Trinity Green Almshouses through development within its setting is substantial. We have not seen evidence of clear and convincing justification of this harm as advised by the National Planning Policy Framework, and therefore we object in the strongest terms possible.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #58
E1view

I would have thought the regeneration benefits of the proposed scheme far outweigh the apparently 'serious harm' of having buildings visible in the background when looking at the almshouses. It almost feels like a willingness to hold back an entire community just to preserve a view that really doesn't matter too much. It amazes me how HE speak so zealously and with so much authority considering the shit they let go up and get torn down.

potto liked this post
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #59
london lad

Likes (Received): 3742

I would say now Historic England (EH) have lost a lot of bite through cutting back of funding and role I can’t see TH paying much attention. Whitechapel is a clear growth spot and will have a busy Crossrail station, increasing density and replacing a lot of post war crud in the area with a bit more ambition is going to trump the views from lesser known listed buildings in the area
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #60
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 14252

Tempted to make a submission to the effect of "I trust you will disregard HE's assessment of harm caused, as this is the organisation who believe bulldozing Smithfield market or a chunk of the Strand will cause no harm, they clearly have no credibility whatsoever in making these assessments". Not really to hope to influence planning (I don't make political donations, offer non-exec board positions to retiring politicians, or anything else that would indiciate I have any influence or importance to political processes this country whatsoever - I don't even live in a swing seat! - so I am utterly meaningless to the political classes, let's be honest) but just to hopefully wind-up some of the cretins concerned. Naive of course, they wouldn't care, if they cared, they'd have lifted a finger for smithfield/strand in the first place.

London construction photos: • by area/projectby year
Urban Showcase: • VallettaLjubljanaFunchalLisbonLanzarote •• OrkneyBristolEngland's West CountryLondon

Retro Specs, Bottlefall, Vnofd5 liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hamlets, london, sainsbury's, square, tower, whitechapel