Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs | 155m, 107m, 79m, 66m, 50m | 46, 32, 23, 18, 13 fl | Site Prep + Public Inquiry - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #21
delores

Likes (Received): 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolph View Post
I'm not overly impressed by this scheme. Given the site it could have been so much more ambitious. No streets, high streets, waterfront parade... too much greenery and little in the architecture to impress in terms of design or scale.
For such an interesting site the ambition is very low, the architecture is throw away and nothing but a joyless exercise of random façades and uninspired massing. Agree that it should have a promenade or relationship to the dock and provide a useful amenity to this part of the IOD. A few token lawns and some trees does not make this a desirable place.

.Adam, Trances liked this post
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2016, 05:09 AM   #22
ex-E14

Likes (Received): 755

Seems like a nice development. It's taken a while though to get to this stage since the original round of demolition and redevelopment in the 80's. The picture below is from early 1986, looking south from Millwall Inner Dock towards the Outer Dock. Westferry Printworks will be on the extreme right.

On the far side of the Outer Dock (dead centre) you can see the remains of the McDougalls flour mill grain silos. Recently demolished but not yet cleared away.

Despite the water skier, I think the picture predates the Sailing and Watersports Centre. And it was a cold day for watersports. with a bit of snow on the ground.

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:13 PM   #23
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10748

Tower Hamlets refuses PLP scheme
20 April 2016 | By Tim Clark

Tower Hamlets has refused planning for PLP Architecture’s 235 Westferry Wharf despite the scheme being called in by mayor of London Boris Johnson.

The council’s decision is theoretical since the call-in, but it sends a clear message to the mayor.

Plans submitted by PLP would have seen the existing printing works at Westferry demolished and replaced with a 110m-high 30-storey tower comprising of 722 residential units, retail, offices and restaurant and cafe space.

The borough’s planning committee resolved to unanimously reject the scheme on the recommendation of their planning officers’ report. The report stated two main reasons for refusing the scheme, namely the negative effect the new tower would have on the adjacent sailing and watersports centre as well as the low level of affordable housing for the scheme. The plans currently include 11% affordable housing which is lower than the quantum that Tower Hamlets concluded was possible during a viability assessment.

Critics also pointed out that the towers would deny boats vital wind which was needed to launch from the Dockland Sailing and Watersports Centre.

In a statement Tower Hamlets said: “The committee resolves to inform the mayor of London that were it empowered to determine the
application for planning permission, the council would have refused permission for the reasons in the committee report.”
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #24
Mr Cladding

Likes (Received): 13630

Tower Hamlets refuses PLP scheme
Bdonline.co.uk
20th April 2016

Quote:
The borough’s planning committee resolved to unanimously reject the scheme on the recommendation of their planning officers’ report. The report stated two main reasons for refusing the scheme, namely the negative effect the new tower would have on the adjacent sailing and watersports centre as well as the low level of affordable housing for the scheme. The plans currently include 11% affordable housing which is lower than the quantum that Tower Hamlets concluded was possible during a viability assessment.

Critics also pointed out that the towers would deny boats vital wind which was needed to launch from the Dockland Sailing and Watersports Centre.
Continued in link
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #25
Hohu

Likes (Received): 118

I can't help thinking that a city with a housing crisis shouldn't be prioritising the availability of wind to a sailing club over new home construction.

.Adam, Core Rising, geoking66 liked this post
Hohu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM   #26
ex-E14

The wind issue seems to be a red herring, and anyway it blows predominantly from the west or south west so the new towers shouldn't have much effect on the outer dock. The low number of affordable units OTOH does seem like a good reason to refuse it.
ex-E14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #27
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Honestly I wouldn't mind if this scheme was scrapped and redrawn. Whilst open public green space is welcome, I don't think development does it very well at all. I think what we will get will be large areas of underutilised dead space. Better to have a large central square/ green space than lots of little garden inlets imo. I have no problem with the towers. I just think the whole scheme could use a better massing model. And of course the developers are really pushing their luck, trying to get away with only 11% affordable housing on a site that really could be build at a much higher density with better planning. Rightly refused by TH.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:45 PM   #28
Smitsax

Likes (Received): 223

You know when you have submitted a poor proposal when it goes to a public enquiry. Why not just submit a decent design in the first place and save all that aggravation.
Smitsax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #29
london lad

Likes (Received): 3754

Approved by Deputy mayor for planning Sir Edward Lister this morning.

Hes going to make a decision on Alpha Square this afternoon.
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #30
randolph

Likes (Received): 1404

Wind!!!!!!!????????? Now I really have heard it all!
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #31
Mr Cladding

Old May 16th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #32
ex-E14

I love those views from Greenwich Park, it means another chance for a before and after pic. This time it's 1998 and whenever they complete this new development.

Last edited by ex-E14; May 16th, 2016 at 02:57 AM.
ex-E14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #33
vivek.bhardwaj

Likes (Received): 562

Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs | 106m/64m/51m/39m | 29/16/12/8 fl | Appr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Approved by Deputy mayor for planning Sir Edward Lister this morning.

Hes going to make a decision on Alpha Square this afternoon.

I haven't heard when this project is going to start? I would have thought the council would be keen to get the secondary school up and running sooner rather than later.

"PLP Architecture got the go ahead from the mayor of London for a redevelopment of the former Westferry Printworks on the Isle of Dogs"

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...005964.article
vivek.bhardwaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #34
OptomistOne

Likes (Received): 996

I lived on the Isle of Dogs for nearly 4 years and although I admire the concept/aspiration, the actual thought of 'water sports' on Millwall Outer Dock always seemed to be a bit of a non starter (apologies to East Londoners who boat and sail there regularly)...a much better use would be affordable housing, I think.

London, the World's Greatest City.......................................after Hobart.
OptomistOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2016, 09:45 AM   #35
vivek.bhardwaj

Just took a look at the Docklands sailing centre ️ website for the first time, and I noticed that they have a live WebCam pointing towards the proposed construction site :

http://www.dswc.org/livecam_weather/

Mr Cladding liked this post
Old October 16th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #36
Mr Cladding

Some before photos

Old February 15th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #37
vivek.bhardwaj

Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs | 106m, 64m, 51m, 39m | 29, 16, 12, 8 fl | Approved

I'm currently in Scotland but my neighbour took this photo showing demolition started today

EDIT: The site:

Last edited by vivek.bhardwaj; February 15th, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old February 15th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #38
vivek.bhardwaj

Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs | 106m, 64m, 51m, 39m | 29, 16, 12, 8 fl | Approved

Treasury Minister David Gauke tours Isle of Dogs to see massive scale of development for himself
http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...self_1_4889284

"Demolition began today at one of the development sites, the 15-acre former Westferry printworks, which got planning permission last August for 700 homes and a new secondary school, as well as restaurants, bars, shops, healthcare and a community centre."
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #39
Mr Cladding

Surely this should be classed as demo?

Quicksilver liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #40
vivek.bhardwaj

Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs | 106m, 64m, 51m, 39m | 29, 16, 12, 8 fl | Demo

A few pictures from today ☁️

Shrubs chopped:

https://westferryprintworks.co.uk

Tags
e14, hamlets, london, printworks, tower, westferry