The Shard | Southwark | 309m | 72 fl - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #41
snail456

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
I love 60s tower blocks too
I have nothing against 60's blocks I just cant stand concrete. Glass is much more elegant and makes the skyline look more alive rather than a series of grey and brown boxes.

Last edited by snail456; November 15th, 2006 at 12:21 AM.
snail456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #42
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10725

It's classic Seifert I'll give it that. But it doesn't resonate with me, the fittings are shabby and in terms of looks hasn't aged well.

As long as Centrepoint stands (and I believe it should be listed as soon as possible) and the base celebrated by pedestrianisation, I'm not that concerned that other Seiferts are being wiped from the London skyline.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #43
SirDenys

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha View Post
SirDenys - keep going! I like these thoughtful and occasionally subversive views - I'm not automatically a big fan of anything tall and shiny either. Although - I do dislike much of the 60's/70's legacy. Seems to me that there's lots of dross (Barbican for e.g.) which overshadows the ocasional gem (Centrepoint)
Thanks. I hope to be able to put forward my thoughts now and then, although I wasn't expecting a lot of agreement. Looks like we might be a bit like minded, although we differ on the Barbican. This isn't meant to be condescending, just a genuine question. Have you been inside the central open area or have you just seen it from the outside? In the middle is one of the most striking but peaceful and atmospheric places in London. Probably the Barbican and Dartmoor are my favourite places in England.
SirDenys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #44
SirDenys

Quote:
I love 60s tower blocks too
Me too. I was out walking in Southwark last week and I unexpectedly came across a cluster of three. I was quite excited.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #45
SirDenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Man, I hate the current 'New London Bridge House'. One of the most disgusting buildings in London; does little for the eye or its surroundings.
I take it you haven't been to Wood Green or Tottenham then.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #46
and-r

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
As long as Centrepoint stands (and I believe it should be listed as soon as possible) and the base celebrated by pedestrianisation, I'm not that concerned that other Seiferts are being wiped from the London skyline.
'In 1995 Centre Point became a Grade II listed building. Noted architecture critic Nikolaus Pevsner described Centre Point as "coarse in the extreme".' centre point already is listed.. and theres always t42 as the best example of seiferts work
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #47
SirDenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by and-r View Post
'In 1995 Centre Point became a Grade II listed building. Noted architecture critic Nikolaus Pevsner described Centre Point as "coarse in the extreme".' centre point already is listed.. and theres always t42 as the best example of seiferts work
No surprise there. His books are very good from the encyclopaedic point of view but the opinions are those of one or two people, so they're not particularly helpful unless you are like minded. He did have some good words to say about the National Theatre, though, so I'm not going to be too critical.
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #48
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDenys View Post
I take it you haven't been to Wood Green or Tottenham then.
Eh..watch what your saying, don't go dissin my hood
Old November 15th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #49
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10460

My second ever render so be nice

Old November 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #50
Skid-Mark

Likes (Received): 0

All good, but come on, guy's is just wrong...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:56 AM   #51
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDenys View Post
Thanks. I hope to be able to put forward my thoughts now and then, although I wasn't expecting a lot of agreement. Looks like we might be a bit like minded, although we differ on the Barbican. This isn't meant to be condescending, just a genuine question. Have you been inside the central open area or have you just seen it from the outside? In the middle is one of the most striking but peaceful and atmospheric places in London. Probably the Barbican and Dartmoor are my favourite places in England.
It's not condescending at all.
I go to the Barbican frequently - at least once a month. I have been a member of the Arts Centre for years, and it is easily the best thing about this otherwise dreadful place. It is actually the middle part that is the worst (although the rain-stained tower block balconies are pretty bad - they remind me of people who wipe their nose with their sleeve, but that's another matter). What I dislike is how everything has such an artificial and unforgivingly man-made colour and texture, an unnatural harshness, highlighted by the occasional sad patch of green. Any foliage unlucky enough to be in that environment is in a seemingly perpetual state of demise. The garden is the worst: trailing greenery over that trademark beige, stained concrete seems to mock nature. I love the concert hall (one of the best in Europe) but when I come out I cannot wait to leave.
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #52
SirDenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
Eh..watch what your saying, don't go dissin my hood
Sorry. I should have made it clear that I wasn't talking about your particular part of Wood Green .... or Tottenham.
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #53
SirDenys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha View Post
It's not condescending at all.
I go to the Barbican frequently - at least once a month. I have been a member of the Arts Centre for years, and it is easily the best thing about this otherwise dreadful place. It is actually the middle part that is the worst (although the rain-stained tower block balconies are pretty bad - they remind me of people who wipe their nose with their sleeve, but that's another matter). What I dislike is how everything has such an artificial and unforgivingly man-made colour and texture, an unnatural harshness, highlighted by the occasional sad patch of green. Any foliage unlucky enough to be in that environment is in a seemingly perpetual state of demise. The garden is the worst: trailing greenery over that trademark beige, stained concrete seems to mock nature. I love the concert hall (one of the best in Europe) but when I come out I cannot wait to leave.
Fair enough. I just think that a lot of people see the towers and form an opinion without really exploring it. That's obviously not the case with you.
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #54
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 629

Quote:
My second ever render so be nice

Great Render...thanks!...you know I think that those who dont know the layout of London could assume the tower and guys are part of the city....it is so close!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #55
jef

Likes (Received): 5

A3D created a 4D Bid Tender model for Mace that was intended to show how this complicated design would be constructed and dealing with the major logistics of the site.

The model was created in 3D from a set of 2D drawings and then linked with the programme within A3D's PAL (Planning & Logistics) system. The prrogramme was reviewed and revised in the model until it was signed off and incorporated as part of the Bid Tender.

4D was delivered via a project website where downloads of the 4D PAL models, a series of avi's and an extensive 4D gallery was available to the stakeholders.

http://www.a3duk.com/2006/projects_London_LBT.htm

jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #56
Ntn_Rawlings

Likes (Received): 0

when i saw that jef had posted i thought - its gonna be good, and i wasnt dissapoinmted. Its Exciting to get a glimpse of what the construction process will be like, im desperately looking forward to when people who dont know about it start noticing it getting bigger, and bigger, and then appearing on the skyline, and then becoming the most prominent landmark in london. Its going to be magic.
Ntn_Rawlings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #57
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14545

sirdenys you havent lost me. i cannot agree with you more. this sort of architecture is being lost through london because of the failure to list a single good example of it. we should be fighting to preserve at least some of our modernist past. ive written about this in the press many times and will continue to do so - it is a failing of every generation to preserve the architecture of the generation immediately before. just look at what was destroyed in the 50s and 60s that was wonderful victorian like the imperial institute and you can see the same disdain then for the immediate past. we should learn from our mistakes but we dont.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #58
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 233

The immediate past is vile, nothing like the victorian's beautiful legacy. Perhaps we could keep some of the very best examples of brutalism, but then clear the way for something more humane and easy on the eye. I nominate that London keep the following buildings: Centrepoint, National Theatre, Royal Festival Hall, Barbican Tower (not concert hall area). Please demolish the following: Trelleck Tower, Guy's, Hayward gallery, Elizabeth theatre, Young Vic, Swiss Centre, Bucklebury house, Thistle Hotel Victoria station
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #59
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 233

Oh, and Euston station and BT Tower
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #60
and-r

Likes (Received): 53

thistle hotel victoria station??? what you must mean thistle tower bridge surely??
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
architecture, bridge, gallery, glass, highrise, london, observation, shard, skyscraper, southwark, supertall, tower