The Shard | Southwark | 309m | 72 fl - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #61
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10464

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Please demolish the following: Trelleck Tower, Guy's,
Man I hate you!
Ok maybe these two buildings are not beautiful but theyre impressive very impressive.And theyre much better than those boring glass boxes.They have character!Leave them alone!
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #62
Fragmentor

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The immediate past is vile, nothing like the victorian's beautiful legacy. Perhaps we could keep some of the very best examples of brutalism, but then clear the way for something more humane and easy on the eye. I nominate that London keep the following buildings: Centrepoint, National Theatre, Royal Festival Hall, Barbican Tower (not concert hall area). Please demolish the following: Trelleck Tower, Guy's, Hayward gallery, Elizabeth theatre, Young Vic, Swiss Centre, Bucklebury house, Thistle Hotel Victoria station
Go easy on me here, but I think Guys and The Shard compliment each other quite well, from El_Greco's rendering they look pretty good together
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #63
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by and-r View Post
thistle hotel victoria station??? what you must mean thistle tower bridge surely??
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #64
Skid-Mark

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentor View Post
Go easy on me here, but I think Guys and The Shard compliment each other quite well...
Sorry Frag old boy...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #65
Evil Bert

Likes (Received): 0

i came across this thread, nick taylor an old SSC fourmer posted that LTB is to be delayed because PWC screwed up on their relocation! do you think there is any truth in this?

here is the link:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=6580&page=13
Evil Bert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #66
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 233

sorry, thistle tower...that victoria building is --c'est formidable--

I'm not keen on the colour of the trelleck tower, it might be a tad more acceptable if it was white rather than grey
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #67
and-r

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
sorry, thistle tower...that victoria building is --c'est formidable--
thistle victoria is a beautiful building (even if its operator isnt so great)

and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #68
Zedferret
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 178

Wrong Thistle Hotel...Get rid of this affront to the eyes..(not the bridge, duh)

Zedferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #69
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
i came across this thread, nick taylor an old SSC fourmer posted that LTB is to be delayed because PWC screwed up on their relocation! do you think there is any truth in this?

here is the link:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=6580&page=13
Don't worry, this is well known news. The good side is that enabeling works can start before PWC even move out.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #70
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 233

Thistle looks like a stepped pryamid--would be OK if not for the material. Its a pity they allowed that there. I wonder if someday it will be demolished or reclad. I think that it would be ideal for a 5 star hotel chain, perhaps someone will buy that building.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM   #71
and-r

Likes (Received): 53

its far more likely to be a more profitable site as office/residential development with maybe a hotel element incorporated as part of a mixed use. but the current site is a succesful business so the only hope of it ever going is that either thistle hotels go bankrupt (not exactly ideal) or if the site is actually not owned by thistle then there would be a possibility that its owner would want to change it when the lease runs out. as it stands i dont really hold too much hope of this going anywhere in the next 10 years at least
and-r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #72
london lad

Likes (Received): 3742

Great bit of news- sadly it doesn't say when there moving.

from propertyweek

PWC’s City fringe shuffle deals Shard a free hand

PricewaterhouseCoopers’ three-way move leaves Southwark Towers site free for Sellar tower

PricewaterhouseCoopers is to leave its Southwark headquarters for three separate offices around City of London fringe locations, allowing the Shard tower to start on site.

The accountant is to take a total of nearly 200,000 sq ft (18,580 sq m) around the City on leases that will expire in five years or less.

PWC will leave the 200,000 sq ft (18,580 sq m) Southwark Towers, enabling the Shard consortium to move forward with its skyscraper.

The accountant will take more than 100,000 sq ft (9,290 sq m) at the St Martins-owned Hays Galleria on Tooley Street on a sublease from Lloyds TSB.

PWC will also take almost 20,000 sq ft (1,858 sq m) from Marylebone Warwick Balfour Business Exchange at 6 Hays Lane in London Bridge City, which is also part of the Hays Galleria complex.

It has also agreed a third letting of around 50,000 sq ft (4,645 sq m) at Shell-Mex House on the north side of the Thames near the Strand, which has been placed on the market by its owners the Tchenguiz brothers, the Reuben brothers and Jack Dellal. The space is understood to be on a sublease from publisher Pearson.

The accountant only needs the office space for five years, after which it will move the staff into a longer-term office location.

Last year, PWC surrendered its lease to the consortium of Sellar Property Group, CLS Holdings and Simon Halabi that owns its existing building.

It is looking at two sites for the longer-term requirement of up to 400,000 sq ft (37,160 sq m): More London and British Land’s 201 Bishopsgate.

It is thought that More London has the advantage given its rent levels and location.

A final decision has not yet been taken on the move, although a decision is expected before Christmas. PWC’s lease at Plumtree Court expires in 2009.

Jones Lang LaSalle is advising PWC. No one would comment.
london lad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #73
JackSwan
click click

Likes (Received): 1450

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
sirdenys you havent lost me. i cannot agree with you more. this sort of architecture is being lost through london because of the failure to list a single good example of it. we should be fighting to preserve at least some of our modernist past. ive written about this in the press many times and will continue to do so - it is a failing of every generation to preserve the architecture of the generation immediately before. just look at what was destroyed in the 50s and 60s that was wonderful victorian like the imperial institute and you can see the same disdain then for the immediate past. we should learn from our mistakes but we dont.

the main building was demolished in 1963, only the collcutt (now queen's) tower remains.

the preservation of examples from every era of british architectural heritage is an essential duty, it's just unfortunate that the legacy bequeathed to us from the 1950s and 60s are so - in most cases - genuinely derisible.
JackSwan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #74
Fragmentor

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Thistle looks like a stepped pryamid--would be OK if not for the material. Its a pity they allowed that there. I wonder if someday it will be demolished or reclad. I think that it would be ideal for a 5 star hotel chain, perhaps someone will buy that building.
It's far too big for the river-front. If it has to be there at all it should be stepped back from the river and the front opened up. Of course, a nice park wouldn't go amiss, but where's the profit in that?
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #75
mole

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Great bit of news- sadly it doesn't say when there moving.
Mid 2007.

The reason for the three way move is so the various Southwark Towers based groups can stay close to their industry clients - thus the government and public sector group will move to the Strand while the financial services group will stay in the London Bridge area close to the City.
mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #76
ismail

Likes (Received): 70

At F*****G last, I thought they'd never leave
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #77
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Thx for the info Mole. It was reported in the press yesterday that Jones Lang LaSalle has been dropped as an agent from the More London development after seven years on the scheme. The only building left is More London 7, a cheap and dull groundscaper, that PwC was tipped to be close to prelet as their new head offices. I 've also heard that the possible problem with More London 7 is that it can accomodate 400,000 sqft while PwC is reported to be searching for up to 500,000 sqft to cope with expanding operations. PwC also made it clear they want cheap accomodations in "fringe" locations. The City is ruled out. Any chances that PwC are reconsidering the selection of More London 7 ? Is the move of 2/3 of KPMG staff to the CW likely to influence PwC?
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #78
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 348

I just don't understand why they won't move their Southwark offices into the future newly built Shard. It makes sense to me. They're the largest partnership joint company. Their operations are really big. When their customers want to see their headquarters, they want to see something spectacular. Not More London!
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #79
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass View Post
I just don't understand why they won't move their Southwark offices into the future newly built Shard. It makes sense to me. They're the largest partnership joint company. Their operations are really big. When their customers want to see their headquarters, they want to see something spectacular. Not More London!
if they had their offices based in the Shard, the most likely reaction of their clients would be along the lines of 'no wonder you're charging us so much per hour'!

okay - good news there - walked past the site on Weds evening, and I guess one of the first visible signs we might get is the shutting of the footbridge across Thomas Street which skirts round the front of Southwark Towers. That said, they could start the main internal clearance of the building well before shutting the bridge. 2007 will be the year of demolition in the City (+ fringe) then: Crosby Court (Bishopsgate Tower), 122 Leadenhall, Heron, 20 FC Street and Southwark Towers, and construction in Canary Wharf.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #80
mole

Likes (Received): 32

PwC issued a memo to their London staff yesterday announcing that they will vacate Southwark Towers in July/August 2007.
mole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
architecture, bridge, gallery, glass, highrise, london, observation, shard, skyscraper, southwark, supertall, tower