Seattle Area Airports and Aviation News - Page 323 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2019, 01:04 AM   #6441
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 24386

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffloftus View Post
It's always amused me that Angelenos refer to their main airport by its airport code: somehow that seems very L.A.-ish ("I'm taking the 10 to the 405 to LAX").
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJamie View Post
...SFO and BWI get the same treatment.
Excellent point!

I'm amazed that I never thought of that. I fly in and out of SFO all the time and my son flies in and out of BWI all the time, so I actually utter "SFO" and "BWI" quite frequently...but never made the connection to LAX. Thanks for the epiphany!

EDIT: I think, on reflection, that it's the "X" in "LAX" that makes it seem different. Both SFO and BWI have reasonable acoustic connections to what they represent: "San Francisco" and "Baltimore-Washington International". But "LAX" seems as if it couldn't be anything but an airport code.

FURTHER EDIT: What do Portlanders call their airport? Do they call it "PDX" or do they have another name for it?

YET FURTHER EDIT: I'm glad that we have a name for our airport, Sea-Tac. But I wish that the Port had stuck to its guns years ago when it briefly changed the name to "Jackson Field", which I thought, had quite a bit of flair.

Last edited by geoffloftus; June 28th, 2019 at 01:17 AM.
geoffloftus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #6442
Steve W
J'en ai marre.

Likes (Received): 1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffloftus View Post
FURTHER EDIT: What do Portlanders call their airport? Do they call it "PDX" or do they have another name for it?
Sadly, PDX has now become an all purpose short hand reference to Portland and its metro. I believe you can also use the code when booking an Amtrak Cascades to Portland Union Station.
Steve W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 08:50 AM   #6443
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6728

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/histor...ry?id=11684406

DW80, geoffloftus, c33f liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2019, 10:33 AM   #6444
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2190

Kindof off topic but not totally off topic Delta question for Cap Hill (if available for public consumption... the answer to the question not... cap...hill... anyways...):

Still doing a good bit of China travel for work. Usually use Delta through either Beijing or Shanghai. Shanghai is opening their big new terminal. Beijing is opening a whole new airport. Is Delta going to be making use of either (in general, but also specifically for Seattle flights)?
Old June 28th, 2019, 10:34 AM   #6445
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 5076

I've got a question for Capitol Hill about airline schedules and seemingly odd routes. I use Flight Radar frequently and I notice that some flights are "bunched" together. This evening, for instance, three flights left SFO for SEA within five minutes of each other! True, three separate airlines were involved (Delta, United and Alaska) and I guess there are those who are partial and loyal to a given airline, but wouldn't one think that the three flights in question would be spread out a little more so that the traveling public who don't care which airline they take would have more choices of flight times? This also seems to happen with some of the Hawaii flights. Also, why all the flights from SMF (Sacramento) to Seattle? I wouldn't think there would be that much call for non-stops between the two. Yet there is a parade of flights throughout the day. Also, what's with non-stops between such cities as Santa Rosa, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara and Seattle? Can these non-stops be flying with a full complement of passengers? Obviously Alaska feels they are worth it economically, but it just seems odd to me. And who the h*ll flies non-stop between Medford and Redmond to Seattle? If mostly to connect with other flights, you'd think PDX or SFO would better serve those pax.

Last edited by Ginkgo; June 28th, 2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Ginkgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 04:56 PM   #6446
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

^ A couple of simplistic thoughts...

A lot of people are flying to a lot of places. Except for San Luis Obispo, I've been on all the routes you mention and they are generally pretty full.

People hate having to make connections for all the obvious reasons. So airlines, despite the advantages of hub-and-spoke configurations, have at least some incentive to create nonstop flights (although I'm wondering if Alaska, now that they have large hubs at SFO and LAX, will eliminate some of their nonstops).

I don't know why flights to various destinations seem bunched. If I had to guess I'd say that the bunching is a kind of an illusion -- that is, it's a random result of the constraints of flight scheduling rather than the result of a deliberate plan. (A nerdy and imperfect analogy is that many kinds of events generated by what's known as a Poisson process have the appearance of being bunched, even though they're actually random.)

Ginkgo liked this post
geoffloftus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 05:55 PM   #6447
Capitol Hill

There are certain times business travelers want to fly, hence the bunched flights on UA, AS, and DL. As you said, the traveler who doesn’t care which airline or mileage plan they accrue miles on will probably be on a 1:30 PM flight. Regarding China, I believe DL will move to the new PKX airport, as the plan was to have all SkyTeam airlines there, although no announcements have been made. The A330-900 will be on the SEA-PVG route, although the start dates got delayed due to late deliveries from Airbus.
PVG is building a new concourse which will open soon, but I think there will still be gate constraints. As with most things in China it is already under capacity by the time it opens.

geoffloftus, Ginkgo, BoulderGrad liked this post
Old June 28th, 2019, 07:11 PM   #6448
Steve W
J'en ai marre.

Likes (Received): 1015

The majors are all competing for the same set of peak traffic hour passenger who is typically less price sensitive, hence bunched.
Steve W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2019, 03:32 AM   #6449
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitol Hill View Post
There are certain times business travelers want to fly, hence the bunched flights on UA, AS, and DL. As you said, the traveler who doesn’t care which airline or mileage plan they accrue miles on will probably be on a 1:30 PM flight. Regarding China, I believe DL will move to the new PKX airport, as the plan was to have all SkyTeam airlines there, although no announcements have been made. The A330-900 will be on the SEA-PVG route, although the start dates got delayed due to late deliveries from Airbus.
PVG is building a new concourse which will open soon, but I think there will still be gate constraints. As with most things in China it is already under capacity by the time it opens.
Cheers!

Glad to be going to the new Beijing airport. Worth a look if folks don't venture over to the airports section much:

As for Shanghai... weellll... As long as the probability is reduced of getting crammed onto the buses after an 11 hour flight... I guess that's something?... Folks were griping about it when it came to Seattle... You have no idea...

geoffloftus, uwhuskies liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2019, 06:07 AM   #6450
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Sea-Tac was mobbed today...

Out for a stroll waiting for our late flight to Toronto...

Welcome to summer, I guess.

Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:25 AM   #6451
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2614

Last week I flew back from Dublin on the direct Aer Lingus flight. Nothing exciting about the flight, but the US-imposed experience at the Dublin airport was not fun. It's the type of situation where the carrier-recommended 3 hours before your flight is actually justified.

Try the Aer Lingus Machine, tells you to go to the service desk
Go to the Ticketing Service, wait in line, told you should go to Guest Service
Wait in line at Guest Service, they print a ticket
Go though painfully slow security lines - agent takes your toothpaste out of you appropriately sized bag, puts it in plastic bag. But you can keep your shoes on.

And you feel like you're done. But you aren't! Then you go to the special hell aimed at travelers to the US:
Wait in longer security line - a full 30 minutes
Scan bags again. This time making you take your shoes off. Don't need to take anything out of your pockets, and you aren't scanned.
Customs. Looked like at least 20 minutes for those that don't have Global Entry. Only a minute for us lucky GE travelers.

Your reward for all of this? You get to wait in a part of the airport without real restaurants - just packaged sandwich places (though one will warm up a sandwich for you).

Knowing I could not miss this flight, I gave myself plenty of time. But I thought I'd at least relax at a restaurant at the end of this.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 12:47 AM   #6452
cameronrex

Likes (Received): 1042

Is there a reason for that experience in Dublin in particular? We flew back from the UK a month ago and didn't notice anything unusual about the security process.

(sorry, though, that sounds miserable)
cameronrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:19 AM   #6453
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 2614

It seems to be a new program the US has worked through with Ireland. First impression is that they just don't trust Ireland's (or really the EU's) security protocol, but not sure the reason for it. For all I know it's just that they couldn't convince the EU to make people take their shoes off.

The whole experience was marketed positively as if it's a benefit - something like "US pre-customs". The point seems to be to do customs while you're still in Ireland rather than in the US, and there was no additional customs step when we arrived at SEA - we just exited the plane and headed toward baggage claim.

And I suppose that piece of it takes the same amount of time whether you do it in DUB or SEA. The difference was the extra security line, and the issue of spending all of that extra time at a point of your journey where punctuality is critical.

cameronrex liked this post
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:20 AM   #6454
SeaJamie

Likes (Received): 935

DUB has US Customs preclearance (like most Canadian airports), so the flight arrives at a domestic gate in the US. Puts you in a waiting area on the lower level of the terminal (though there are flex gates in the upper level that can be used for US flights depending on how many flights are going out).

Another observation I had is that going through customs on arrival really masks how long it takes to unload luggage from a wide-body jet.

Matt the Engineer, cameronrex, EeePC liked this post
SeaJamie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:38 AM   #6455
BoulderGrad

I've been through something similar in Amsterdam. Extra security screening, more questions, etc.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:54 AM   #6456
SeaJamie

Likes (Received): 935

A few years ago AMS added the ability to redirect passengers from an individual inbound flight to security screening so USA->AMS->EU flights no longer require a security screening in AMS, and AMS->USA flights no longer have security screening at the gate. (That was the state of things on my last AMS trip in 2015)
SeaJamie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:25 PM   #6457
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 6066

First JetSuiteX has landed at Boeing Field. Three daily flights starting at $99 one-way for a "premium" experience.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/j...c-47829aec6898

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog

DW80 liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 11:18 PM   #6458
SeattleMountainMan

Likes (Received): 70

When I flew to Dublin last year - on the return back to the states I got to the airport at 5:30am for an early flight leaving at 8am. I also experienced the additional scrutiny. Security pulled me aside, did a full pat down, and then proceeded to pull both my bags off the line and unpack them for inspection. Considering they had 2 officers available at this hour of the morning, it took them 20 minutes to get to my bags. Spent a total of an hour getting through security all for them to determine I was "good to go".
SeattleMountainMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:53 AM   #6459
Capitol Hill

They thought you were a Sasquatch instead of a mountain man.

jam5 liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2019, 02:23 AM   #6460
jam5

Likes (Received): 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer View Post
Last week I flew back from Dublin on the direct Aer Lingus flight. Nothing exciting about the flight, but the US-imposed experience at the Dublin airport was not fun. It's the type of situation where the carrier-recommended 3 hours before your flight is actually justified.

Try the Aer Lingus Machine, tells you to go to the service desk
Go to the Ticketing Service, wait in line, told you should go to Guest Service
Wait in line at Guest Service, they print a ticket
Go though painfully slow security lines - agent takes your toothpaste out of you appropriately sized bag, puts it in plastic bag. But you can keep your shoes on.

And you feel like you're done. But you aren't! Then you go to the special hell aimed at travelers to the US:
Wait in longer security line - a full 30 minutes
Scan bags again. This time making you take your shoes off. Don't need to take anything out of your pockets, and you aren't scanned.
Customs. Looked like at least 20 minutes for those that don't have Global Entry. Only a minute for us lucky GE travelers.

Your reward for all of this? You get to wait in a part of the airport without real restaurants - just packaged sandwich places (though one will warm up a sandwich for you).

Knowing I could not miss this flight, I gave myself plenty of time. But I thought I'd at least relax at a restaurant at the end of this.
You'll get the same experience at any Gulf airport (Doha, Abu Dhabi, Dubai).
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seattle, us airports