Seattle Area Airports and Aviation News - Page 331 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2019, 01:35 AM   #6601
geoffloftus
Co-Czar

Likes (Received): 24400

North Satellite work, 9/9/19

I was intrigued by the red crane-y things doing their yoga stretches.

Old September 13th, 2019, 06:33 AM   #6602
Seasun

Likes (Received): 1744

Nice truss photo with the noticeable change of size of the diagonal members as they get larger away from the midpoint.
Seasun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 02:30 AM   #6603
cadre

Likes (Received): 958

According to PSBJ “Boeing buyer Vietnam Airlines wins DOT permit to operate potential Seattle flights” Would love that to happen.
cadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2019, 02:39 AM   #6604
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2355

Nonstop to Saigon?? Sign me up!!

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...lights-us.html

cameronrex, cadre liked this post
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 03:07 AM   #6605
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2355

Another article on the matter: https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...s-flights.html
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 12:31 AM   #6606
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6733

Condor parent company Thomas Cook to go into receivership

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-22/...dministration/

Another European carrier disappearing apparently. Tough times for European charter operations.

M'sFan, cameronrex liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:57 PM   #6607
Tespia

Likes (Received): 613

A sad day for TCX and TCG.

From my understanding, the airline wasn't doing terribly well, but well enough to justify continuing and what really killed the Group was the tour operator portion.

Condor has been profitable for years and while it may not be able to continue as an independent, stand alone airline, it is certainly an asset with eyes on it (Lufthansa would love to get their hands on it and finally, perhaps, come up with a cohesive low-cost longhaul strategy).

This will mean an immediate end to the 3x weekly Manchester - Seattle route.
Tespia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:53 PM   #6608
lezgotolondon
No pasaràn

Likes (Received): 2420

Sea-Tac has a lot of pax, Seattle is growing fast and can be the hub for the entire pacific nort-west that is more than 15 million people.

Why it doesn't have more long-haul flight yet?
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 12:02 AM   #6609
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3893

International traffic has doubled in the past decade. Right now it's up against a jammed international arrivals facility...but a new, bigger one opens next year. We'll see if traffic jumps after that.

velciane liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 03:23 AM   #6610
testdrive

Likes (Received): 2025

Beijing's new airport opens this week and it is gorgeous
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tra...cid=spartanntp

cadre liked this post
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 06:59 AM   #6611
Xiyatu

Likes (Received): 1362

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
Beijing's new airport opens this week and it is gorgeous
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tra...cid=spartanntp

But can I check my Gmail? Can I read an article from the Wall Street Journal, BBC or NY Times? Can I learn something on Wikipedia?

jam5, geoffloftus, AKH, Capitol Hill liked this post
Xiyatu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 11:34 AM   #6612
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyatu View Post
But can I check my Gmail? Can I read an article from the Wall Street Journal, BBC or NY Times? Can I learn something on Wikipedia?
*Youtuber breaks into ad mode

"Well! Have you heard about (Insert sponsoring VPN service name here)!? They protect you on public WiFi and give you access to content not available in your home country!"

Actually in all seriousness, for anyone having to travel to China a lot, I have to sing the praises of GoogleFi. Data rate is the same for at home vs abroad, and as long as you're using your GoogleFi data, all the blocked websites still work. Almost hit my throttling cap tho if I wasn't carefully managing it (15gb is when the "free" data runs out). Figure that you're being spied on tho, so don't go searching for "Taiwan will once again rule China" while you're there.

geoffloftus liked this post
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 02:32 AM   #6613
Capitol Hill

Yes, that’s what I google,
Old October 3rd, 2019, 07:27 PM   #6614
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 5076

Airport 101

I had another great day at this year's Port of Seattle Port 101 Airport program. Since this year (versus last when we stayed on the bus the whole time) we actually walked into the new North terminal, we had to be "wanded" by security before boarding the buses. All of the pictures were taken through the bus windows until we got into the North terminal. Thus the annoying reflections.

Skybridge under construction between the South Terminal and the new International arrivals hall.

Office building.

I think this is a fueling operation using underground tanks versus fueling trucks.

Central Terminal big window.

I was surprised at the number of hardstand gates. We were told by none other than Lance Lyttle, managing direction, aviation division, in a presentation before going on the tarmac, that Sea-Tac will have reached absolute capacity by 2027 and that the Port along with other entities are already in discussion about the future of airports in the area. I think a preliminary report is due in 2022. A brand new airport is probably not even being seriously considered as it would take decades to build from scratch and where is the land anywhere near Seattle? And no, Moses Lake is too far and a ridiculous idea. But there are of course military airports and Paine Field (if it could eventually up the number of flights). I'm not sure if Boeing Field is too close to Sea-Tac to make it viable. Many of you may know more about all of this, but I hadn't realized that Sea-Tac is approaching capacity.

More to follow.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:03 PM   #6615
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 76

I feel like Sea-Tac's own expectations of growth for the SAMP were behind reality by like three years. This airport is comically small for the number of passengers it supports. At the very least the north terminal should be well under construction at this point and not a glimmer in someone's eye.

Darkhyperchaos, geoffloftus, DW80 liked this post
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:23 PM   #6616
Darkhyperchaos

Likes (Received): 40

Is the new sky bridge to the south terminal supposed to be used in addition to or instead of the underground people mover also connecting the south terminal? I was confused about that.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:27 PM   #6617
Darkhyperchaos

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasM View Post
I feel like Sea-Tac's own expectations of growth for the SAMP were behind reality by like three years. This airport is comically small for the number of passengers it supports. At the very least the north terminal should be well under construction at this point and not a glimmer in someone's eye.
I didn't realize that Sea-Tac is the 8th busiest airport in the US by passenger boardings per year, eclipsing even Las Vegas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Given that, it is definitely undersized.
Old October 3rd, 2019, 09:28 PM   #6618
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
Is the new sky bridge to the south terminal supposed to be used in addition to or instead of the underground people mover also connecting the south terminal? I was confused about that.
Instead of.

The bridge is the "sterile corridor" between the S gates and the new international arrivals facility.

The people mover gives you access to the rest of the airport and the exit of the airport, so they don't want international passengers going near it until they've cleared customs.

Before, you just went downstairs to the basement of S, went through customs, and then got on the train.

Since customs is moving over by the A concourse, they need another way to get you over there from S without using the train, so hence building the bridge.

Edit: grammar and spacing

Darkhyperchaos, geoffloftus liked this post

Last edited by BoulderGrad; October 3rd, 2019 at 11:06 PM.
BoulderGrad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2019, 11:34 PM   #6619
Capitol Hill

Ginkgo, those poles you see on the rear of the WN and DL 737s are tip stands.
Old October 4th, 2019, 12:27 AM   #6620
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 5076

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Instead of.

The bridge is the "sterile corridor" between the S gates and the new international arrivals facility.

The people mover gives you access to the rest of the airport and the exit of the airport, so they don't want international passengers going near it until they've cleared customs.

Before, you just went downstairs to the basement of S, went through customs, and then got on the train.

Since customs is moving over by the A concourse, they need another way to get you over there from S without using the train, so hence building the bridge.
IIRC, the employee who was on the bus with us said that there could be domestic flights tying up at the South Satellite and that those passengers could take the subway to baggage claim and the exits. Most international pax would take the skybridge to customs at the A concourse. (As has been mentioned Aer Lingus pax (and there may be others, I don't know) go through US customs in Dublin so are treated like domestic passengers upon landing). I don't know how those S Satellite pax needing to go through customs and those not needing to will be separated. Capitol Hill, Geoff and others would know.
Advertisement

Tags
seattle, us airports