Seattle Area Airports and Aviation News - Page 336 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2019, 11:26 PM   #6701
Arch_Angel 753

Likes (Received): 382

IAF bridge and towers coming right along.

Old November 6th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #6702
NikolasM

Likes (Received): 76

How about this location for a new airport? (I still think there is tons more we can milk out of Sea-Tac if we get creative enough.) eh, look a few posts lower for a working link (I hope).

Last edited by NikolasM; November 6th, 2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removed link
NikolasM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 01:55 AM   #6703
hmaurice

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasM View Post
How about this location for a new airport? (I still think there is tons more we can milk out of Sea-Tac if we get creative enough.)Google Map of South Puget Sound Airport. It will look better in Satellite view.
The only vacant land I see are wetlands and Native American reservation land. Probably easier to use eminent domain to expand SeaTac.
hmaurice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2019, 02:26 AM   #6704
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 2355

Level Burien. It'll cut down on noise complaints at the same time.

SJM liked this post
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 02:42 AM   #6705
NikolasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmaurice View Post
The only vacant land I see are wetlands and Native American reservation land. Probably easier to use eminent domain to expand SeaTac.
I googled the reservation boundaries and they are all to the south of the Nisqually river. Also, based on the terrain maps it is all rather elevated and shows no streams or anything.

And I'm all for eminent domain on expanding Sea-Tac.
Old November 6th, 2019, 02:49 AM   #6706
cameronrex

Likes (Received): 1042

The mapped area sits in a valley. Large amounts of money is being spent to restore the wetlands/estuary around the mouth of the river. I could also see there being difficulties for take offs and landings as being in a relatively small valley would result in very limited flight paths.
cameronrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 02:58 AM   #6707
NikolasM

No, the area I mapped that airport in sits above the valley. I promise. It is not in a wetland that I'm aware of.

Here, try this link. I may have not set up sharing on it properly earlier.

Google Maps link (zoom in on DuPont area left of JBLM)

Darkhyperchaos liked this post

Last edited by NikolasM; November 6th, 2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old November 6th, 2019, 07:47 AM   #6708
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 6731

Port of Seattle pay over $1 Million to buy out tenants.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Quote:
The airport also leased space that lacked basic infrastructure to support full restaurant operations. In all cases, the businesses spent years and tens of thousands of dollars on drafting and preparing plans and bidding for airport space, according to documents obtained by The Puget Sound Business Journal
Interesting article. I swear, the incompetence at the airport...

cameronrex liked this post
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 04:01 PM   #6709
AKH

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasM View Post
How about this location for a new airport? (I still think there is tons more we can milk out of Sea-Tac if we get creative enough.) eh, look a few posts lower for a working link (I hope).
JBLM is the immediate northern neighbor as well. All kinds of flight restrictions, conflicts with McChord airspace I would imagine (although McChord itself has been tossed around as an option). If they had built the airport out on the Enumclaw plateau on 10,000 acres in the 40's, we would have plenty of capacity. I think the airports in Olympia and Bremerton will surface as strong options, despite the challenges they present in terms of access (Bremerton) and distance from the core (Olympia).
AKH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:45 PM   #6710
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2190

There was an idea way back in the day to flatten Mercer Island and make it an airport. Can we revive that?

geoffloftus, EeePC liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:50 PM   #6711
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 963

If we want further FAA limitations on both Bellevue and Seattle skylines, and want to spend $200-bn on imminent domain costs.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:24 PM   #6712
northendMK

Likes (Received): 198

Somewhat related - Maybe one of you airport/airline guys could answer this
I've recently been wondering what the plan is with Paine Field. So the new terminal has two gates, and is limited to 24 takeoffs and landings each per day. I think that Paine is the obvious answer for a second airport, but why are we approaching it piecemeal? I guess here are my three questions:

-If they had to build such a small terminal for the initial commercial service, was it designed with expansion in mind? From my untrained eye it doesn't seem so.

-What is the likelihood of an aggressive expansion? I don't know anything about large-scale commercial aviation, but let's say they do want to expand Paine from two gates to twenty. How does ED, the FAA, Boeing, and nearby resident legal recourse all factor in?

-Is there a master plan anywhere that shows the long term plans for Paine? As someone who loosely followed its opening, it seemed like they just kinda decided to do a two-gate trial run to see if there was an appetite for Paine. If it could eventually become a major domestic airport for the region (especially with link access, maybe an SR526 spur as well), what would that look like? What is the timeframe looking like?

geoffloftus liked this post
northendMK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:34 PM   #6713
NikolasM

Well just looking at PAE on satellite view there is barely any room unless you clear out all general aviation. It is all either GA or Boeing and half finished planes. I just don't see how it is going to be the relief valve for Sea-Tac.
Old November 7th, 2019, 12:54 AM   #6714
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 3891

Cutting back on general aviation would be a big hurdle, but exactly 0.3% the challenge of an all new airport.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2019, 11:59 PM   #6715
Seasun

Likes (Received): 1744

Seems like only if Boeing moved operations away would Paine really be viable as a major airport. Very unlikely but possible.
Seasun está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2019, 12:10 AM   #6716
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 963

Very very unlikely, given their largest assembly site is just across the road.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 08:12 PM   #6717
Capitol Hill

SEA airfield improvements.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Quote:
The Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has launched a $156.3 million program to fix its aging airfield pavement and utilities.

Port of Seattle commissioners, who oversee the nation's fastest growing airport, recently approved $16 million in spending for the first design phase of what will be a five-year effort.

Sea-Tac's runways have all been redone since 2008 as part of close to $200 million in investments.

"Now that we’ve completed the runway rebuilds we can really go after the needs around the rest of the airfield," airport spokesman Perry Cooper said.

The pavement on some taxiways and taxi lanes were designed for a 20-year life — but some are now 50 years old. The average age of the taxiways and taxi lanes is 43.
I believe included in this is replacing some taxiways off of runways as high speed exits off of runways, which should help with the queues of planes departing. Of course, our delays will still probably increase due to traffic increases, but they’d be much worst without these fixes.
Old November 15th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #6718
JasonB52
Pokémon Master

Likes (Received): 30

Tacoma Narrows Airport

One airport I always thought had some potential to be a mid-sized regional airport is Tacoma Narrows Airport. The runway is currently 5,000' x 100', and it looks like there is some room on the north side to extend it another 3,500 feet or so. I am sure you would need to rework the taxiways too, but that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility based on the space available.

There is some development to the west of the airport, but it isn't particularly dense development in the grand scheme of things. I bet you could stick a nice terminal on the west side of the current runway and turn Stone Drive into a larger access road that connects to Highway 16. Then you use what little space is available on the east side of the runway for support facilities.

The simple fact that much of the flight path for this airport is over Puget Sound seems nice. No blocking potential supertalls. (Unless Gig Harbor decides to go Dubai on us!)
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:05 PM   #6719
Pezzo

Likes (Received): 77

ANA Seattle To Tokyo Haneda

As of March 29, 2020 ANA flights from Seattle to Tokyo will go to Haneda.
Pezzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 11:09 PM   #6720
Capitol Hill

And Delta starts up in March I believe. This will help traffic to Tokyo, but ANA has a more robust international schedule at NRT than HND. The HND flight will help for Japanese connections. This distance NRT is from Ginza in Tokyo is the equivalent of Lacey to the downtown Macy’s store for comparison (44 miles).

Last edited by Capitol Hill; November 19th, 2019 at 11:14 PM.
Capitol Hill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seattle, us airports