LEICESTER | Transport Issues - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Leicester and Leicestershire

Leicester and Leicestershire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #41
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mo85 View Post
Concerning Leicester train station; LRC are indeed in talks with Network Rail and other important parties about a total revamp of the station and surrounding area. When I say revamp, it's more a case of knocking half of it down and starting again - which is a needed solution. I have to use the damned place on a regular basis and if I had to use 3 words to describe it, it'd be 'dingey yellow dump'

Still, if the LRC plans for it are anything to go by then it will look absolutely stunning.
Let's hope your right. It could be a top-class station to greet people to Leicester and the East Midlands-afterall it is the first major gateway by train for poeple coming to our city/region from the south and west.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #42
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

leicester train service to london st pancrass will oficially end in late 2008 and be replaced by a service terminating at waterloo,

so much for our direct rail link to europe
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #43
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Where did you hear that???

As far as I know St Pancras will still remain as a 'domestic' railway station too along side its new international role.

I wouldn't want to end up on the other side of London, its bad enough as it is currently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #44
teal200

Likes (Received): 0

eh?

That can't be true, as Lincoln's direct route from Lincoln to London St Pancras is starting in 2008, utilising the Mainline route down from Nottingham to London St Pancras on that stretch.
teal200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #45
braunstone geezer

yeah i made it up
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #46
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

Likes (Received): 29

Regarding Leicesters Trainstation and its potential. There is tremendous scope for it's redevelopment.

The station could have a 2 tier arrangement with offices, car park, shops and eateries. It could be interlinked with a new car park and office complex.

Also I think the stairs need to be taken out and replaced with escalators.

There is so much potential for the train station, anyone else with any other ideas?
PAC_MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #47
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

Likes (Received): 29

In fact my vision for Leicester Train Station would be to have the above redevelopment, with a public square outside, with major office and leisure facilies within metres of the square. The ring road needs to go or be downgraded. With a new mini shopping mall interconnected. Also possibly a tram link to the new ivanhoe station!

Now there's a vision that is truly great!
PAC_MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #48
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC_MAN View Post

In fact my vision for Leicester Train Station would be to have the above redevelopment, with a public square outside, with major office and leisure facilies within metres of the square. The ring road needs to go or be downgraded. With a new mini shopping mall interconnected. Also possibly a tram link to the new ivanhoe station!

Now there's a vision that is truly great!
Isn't that going to happen more or less anyway?

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #49
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

From today's Mercury:

Quote:
EUROSTAR SERVICE PUTS PARIS JUST HOURS FROM LEICESTER

BY DAN MARTIN

10:30 - 05 September 2007

It is the train service that offers the prospect of taking you from Leicester to Paris in under four-and-a-half hours.

Yesterday, Eurostar took its first historic run from Gare Du Norde, in Paris, to the newly-revamped St Pancras station, in London.

The high-speed train completed the journey in just two hours and three minutes.

Now, it is hoped Leicestershire's businessmen will reap the benefits of the new service, as well as tourists.

Previously, travelling from Leicester to Paris by rail has involved the time-consuming inconvenience of struggling across central London to reach the Waterloo terminal to catch a connecting service.

From November 14, following the £800 million transformation of St Pancras into an international hub, it will mean a simple stroll across the platform before travellers can be Paris-bound.

Martin Traynor, managing director of Leicestershire Chamber of Commerce, said the new route would open up a new era for business in the county.

He said: "This is an extremely exciting development which gives us a great new opportunity.

"You could be standing at Leicester station, step on a train and then be in Paris around four hours and 15 minutes later.

"When the Eurostar route opens to the public, it will be very well used by Leicestershire businesses and tourists.

"These days it can take a couple of hours to get through stringent airport security and there is the time it takes to travel to and from the airports.

"All that will be greatly reduced - and remember it's not just Paris but Brussels, too."

Mr Traynor and a delegation of top county businessmen will make the trip from Leicester to Paris by train, on November 20.

They will meet counterparts in the Paris Chamber of Commerce to discuss future business opportunities.

Mr Traynor said: "I am very much looking forward to experiencing it first hand."

Midland Mainline currently runs connecting train services from Loughborough, Leicester and Market Harborough to the capital but its franchise will run out on November 11 and be taken over by Stagecoach.

Midland Mainline spokesman Anna Statham said: "It's a shame our franchise runs out so close to the launch because it is going to be great."

No-one from Stagecoach was available to comment but bosses at East Midlands Airport believe passengers will still fly to Eurostar destinations.

An airport spokesman said: "It shouldn't be forgotten that you can already get to both Paris and Brussels quickly and cheaply by flying from here."
Leicester Mercury website, Sept 5th, 2007

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #50
braunstone geezer

im not a business leader or anything like that but am i missing something here,

so what if u can get a train to leicester in four and half hours, why does this make a difference at all,

dont businesses conduct deals over the fone or the internet these days? travel time, **** all.

i dont get this hysteria with the trains being able to run from paris to leicester, big deal,

what has leicester got to seriousley offer in terms of entertainment and stuff that could possibly interest a french tourist

sod al, well maybe red leicester cheese and stilton

id be embarrassed to try and sell a mini break in leicester to any one, what have we got to offer

im thinking 99 per cent of french people wont go any further than st pancrass station

am i being unfair to leicester?

no, im being honest

Last edited by braunstone geezer; September 6th, 2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: id rather bypass leicester and go alton towers, and thats shit compared to other theme parks around the world
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #51
leicesterTowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunstone geezer View Post
im not a business leader or anything like that but am i missing something here,

so what if u can get a train to leicester in four and half hours, why does this make a difference at all,

dont businesses conduct deals over the fone or the internet these days? travel time, **** all.

i dont get this hysteria with the trains being able to run from paris to leicester, big deal,

what has leicester got to seriousley offer in terms of entertainment and stuff that could possibly interest a french tourist

sod al, well maybe red leicester cheese and stilton

id be embarrassed to try and sell a mini break in leicester to any one, what have we got to offer

im thinking 99 per cent of french people wont go any further than st pancrass station

am i being unfair to leicester?

no, im being honest
I think Leicester Shire Promotions would be able to answer everything you asked. But I'll have a go:

Business can be done over the phone, but people like to deal with people. So good communication liks are important. Leicester has a great location with great transport links, and this only adds to them.

Also, wont people travel through Leicester in order to travel to France? Why not?

And why wont people from mainland europe travel to the Uk. How about the download festival? The Rugby? (Stade de France to Tigers in 4 hours- that'll be popular) The motor racing. Or, tavel to Leicester and from there onto other parts of the midlands. With hard work, this City could be a hub.

Its not easy, but these are answers which, with the right will and hard work could work. And dont uou remember Peterborough saying how close they are to Europe now, even if they have the wrong station and dont even have their own international airport. And you can bet your mortgage that Nottingham will make a very loud noise about their connectivity, and the press will listen to them and forget that as a City we are closer.
leicesterTowers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #52
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 445

Some very quick stats here. Tourism in Leicester and Leicestershire accounts for 32 million visitors, who spend £1.1 billion per year. 13,600 jobs in the county rely on tourism.

I'd say a rail lik to Paris and beyond is a great opportunity to build on this. Also 4 hours plus is quicker than a plane, in my opinion. You don't have to drive to the airport and pay expensive car parking fees (get a taxi to the train station). With any flight, you have to go get there ages before the plane leaves and go through loads of security checks. Then you have to fly there (hoping there have been no delays). When you get to Paris, you might have to wait for your luggage and then you have more security to go through. Then you find the airport is miles away from the centre of the city and you have to get a taxi or bus. Paris traffic is awful...

Also Paris is great to visit and I'm going to use this opportunity to compare the experience to a flight...
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #53
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 78

I bet even now Nottingham City Council are planning their lobby campaign for a direct rail link from Nottingham to Paris that bypasses Leicester

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #54
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark76 View Post
I bet even now Nottingham City Council are planning their lobby campaign for a direct rail link from Nottingham to Paris that bypasses Leicester
Perhaps the M1 could be moved away from Leicester too?
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #55
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Hush now. Don't be giving them ideas

Old September 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #56
braunstone geezer

im still saying that for the cost of a weekend in leicester youd be better off with a week in tenerife

im amazed that people from france would even consider coming to britain,

i wonder how many tourists make return visits to leicester?
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #57
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braunstone geezer View Post
im still saying that for the cost of a weekend in leicester youd be better off with a week in tenerife

im amazed that people from france would even consider coming to britain,

i wonder how many tourists make return visits to leicester?
I imagine that some of them are "business tourists"...

Where do you book your holidays? I never realised Tenerife was so cheap?
Old September 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #58
braunstone geezer

a city break, especially if theres a week nite involved, wherever u go will always seem to work out more expensive than a week away (unless u go ibiza)
wen u go to tenerife a little tip that always works for me, without fail, is workers price, it gets u drinks like a pint of vodka and grenadine for as little as 50 pence.

i remember wen i worked at holiday inn, there room rental for friday nites was £109 for wot amounted to a box room and i went for a week in tenerife on teletext for £144, thats return flights and the room had a seperate kitchen, terrace balcony and living room, it dont take a genius to work out wich was the better value

and id rather spend a few quid more for the year round sun

Last edited by braunstone geezer; September 6th, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #59
Kurt Nirvana

An interesting letter in tonight Mercury, suggesting Leicester builds an underground transport network.

I wish!!

IT'S TIME TO GO UNDERGROUND
06 September 2007

It's about time the city fathers addressed public transport system problems more realistically and stop digging up and altering the traffic flow on a whim every few years.

What Leicester needs to take it into the future is an underground system based on London's.

The city is now larger than London was in the 19th century when the underground was started. With modern tunneling machines it would be far more cost effective than forever digging the roads up and changing bus routes.

Tunneling could start from the outlying areas of the city moving inwards to minimise disruption.

I go to Leicester about once a month on business and its a nightmare just to get around the centre or find parking near enough to the shopping centre.

From what I have seen over the past 30 years of going to Leicester, it just goes from bad to worse, The whole city is dying from lack of trade due to no proper public transport going where its needed.

Whenever I go to Leicester I always go to the fish market for meat and cheese, but it's now three-quarters of stalls are empty because of lack of proper transport to the area, which in turn means the market will die due to no customers.

Who wants to struggle ½ mile to a bus loaded with shopping these days.

With an underground system in place, with exits to all the key shopping areas, you can keep the pedestrianised ways and at the same time remove the polluting traffic from the heart of the city.

Mr R C Pitt, Oakham.
Kurt Nirvana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #60
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Interesting idea, but isn't Leicester built on one of those rocks that are a bugger to tunnel through?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buses, cars, leicester, trains, transport