Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos Photos and images from all around the world

Old November 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #121
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10025 View Post
You've got a point! Indeed, Pudong IS like Coruscant!
Look at the pics below carefully, and you'll find these "buildings" have their counterparts in Pudong, say, Oriental Pearl, Jinmao, etc..
OMG! This is far-out!

This is awesome!

You hit the right nerve in my body about Shanghai! Whoa!!!!
Shera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #122
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10025 View Post
Good point, 7freedom7. No, of course no.
I've been to ALL world-class cities on the planet, and have found NO exceptions.
Actually, among all the cities I've been to, the one that impressed me most in terms of skyline and "grade" of buildings is Shanghai, not New York, not Hong Kong, not Tokyo.
Yes, there are "cheap" parts in Shanghai; but, don't forget this very important fact: with the fast development of the city, those parts are disappearing at a fast speed, and new, shining blocks are taking their place. For Sao Paulo and cities alike, it's another picture: cheap parts remain cheap, year after year, decade after decade.
Just curious--which of the "world-class" cities have you been to?

Come on, impress me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto Velez View Post
It's amazing, but i m sure thats not the biggest in the world. Tokyo, SP or even Buenos Aires are bigger!
It s tall, modern and great but not bigger.
No, not Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is hardly more impressive than Chicago.
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera View Post
Just curious--which of the "world-class" cities have you been to?
Come on, impress me!
Do you really want to know?
In order of the time I visited these cities, including medium-sized ones:
Qingdao, Beijing, Chongqing, Ningbo, Shanghai, Tianjin, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Singapore, Paris, Conakry, Freetown, Amsterdam, Brussels, Milan, Verona, Venice, Rimini, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monaco, Nice, Cannes, New York, Castries, Washington DC, Islamabad, Karachi, Dubai, Tehran, Isfahan, Moscow, Khabarovsk, Vladivostok, Jinan, Yantai, Tokyo, Bogota, Lima, Port of Spain, Bridgetown, Kingston, Addis Ababa, Jeddah, Riyadh, Muscat, Bahrain, Nouakchott, Seoul, Pocheon, Wonju, Pohang, Gyeongju, Busan, Jeju, Kampala, Frankfurt, Cologne, Bonn, Heidelberg, Havana, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Port au Prince, Panama City, Quito, La Paz, Santiago de Chile, Sydney, Fuzhou, Quanzhou, Xiamen, Hong Kong, Port Louis, Antananarivo, Johannesburg, Luanda, Pretoria, Lusaka, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Honolulu.
AND I've been to some small cities around the world.
(Sorry, I've not been to Sao Paulo, Rio, Buenos Aries, Mexico City, Chicago, London and Berlin. Maybe I shouldn't have used these words: "ALL world-class cities").

Last edited by 10025; November 10th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
10025 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #124
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto Velez View Post
It's amazing, but i m sure thats not the biggest in the world. Tokyo, SP or even Buenos Aires are bigger!
It s tall, modern and great but not bigger.
not biggest by metro (eara ,population),but maybe biggest for urban(eara,population).i remember there is a list: shanghai 1st 13.3million,mumbai 2nd 12million, tokyo only 8.3 million.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #125
kix111
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2942

There are loads of crap buildings in Shanghai, for example the neighborhoods aroudn Nanjing Road, but i think that is what makes Shanghai Shanghai :p
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #126
BANNED

More pics:

Old November 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #127
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 23

@ Kintoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintoy View Post
not TRUE at all.

this is Seoul, and with all due respect, it's not as impressive as Shanghai

I did say it's impressive. In fact, I find Metropolitan Seoul's skyline is one of the world's most hideos (with endless rows of commies).

However, Metropolitan Seoul's skyline is currently slightly ahead of Shanghai in terms of the number of buildings that are considered high-rises (buildings that have 12 stories or more).

Again, I said Metropolitan Seoul currently has the "largest" and not "most impressive" complex of skylines in East Asia.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #128
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 180

Indeed Shaghai its IMPRESSIVE!
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #129
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
not biggest by metro (eara ,population),but maybe biggest for urban(eara,population).i remember there is a list: shanghai 1st 13.3million,mumbai 2nd 12million, tokyo only 8.3 million.
Tokyo has around 35 million people (metro, of course).. just to keep that in mind.

At least the "Puxi" of Shanghai still beats Tokyo city district, with 9,145,711 people compared to 8.3 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
I did say it's impressive. In fact, I find Metropolitan Seoul's skyline is one of the world's most hideos (with endless rows of commies).

However, Metropolitan Seoul's skyline is currently slightly ahead of Shanghai in terms of the number of buildings that are considered high-rises (buildings that have 12 stories or more).

Again, I said Metropolitan Seoul currently has the "largest" and not "most impressive" complex of skylines in East Asia.
Even Emporis acknowledges that at the end of 2004, Shanghai had 6,704 buildings of 11 or more stories which were completed since 1990, according to reports by the city of Shanghai.

I'd guess the number to be around 6,700 right now with buildings of 12 or more floors, not 11. Shanghai seems to have halted building new buildings right now, with only a few cranes left to be seen.

Hong Kong also has more than 3x the amount of high-rises of Seoul. I'd also watch out for Beijing and Chongqing. Beijing appears to be a lot like Moscow, but perhaps not exactly as many high-rises. Perhaps 1,500 or so. Moscow has over 2,000. Tokyo could easily beat Seoul as Tokyo is very close right now.
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #130
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 23

@ Shera

Quote:
Hong Kong also has more than 3x the amount of high-rises of Seoul.
Wrong. The vast Seoul Metropolitan Area has way more high-rise buildings than tiny Hong Kong. But, if you include Shenzhen, Dongguan,Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhuhai, and Macau into the mix (since they form a budding megalopolis), then yes, the urban region centered around Hong Kong (the Pearl River Delta Region) has more high-rise buildings than all of Seoul Metropolitan Area.

Quote:
I'd also watch out for Beijing and Chongqing.
Beijing, Tianjin, and Chongqing have very promising skylines. Heck, Chongqing might even give Shanghai a run for its money in two decades time (and possibly giving it the distinction of having the world's second largest overall skyline after the Shanghai-Suzhou urbanplex). But, for now, Metro Seoul has a much larger collection of skylines.

Quote:
Beijing appears to be a lot like Moscow, but perhaps not exactly as many high-rises. Perhaps 1,500 or so. Moscow has over 2,000.
Are you sure about that? Judging from aerial and panoramic photos, it really does seem like Beijing has way more high-rise buildings than Moscow.

Quote:
Tokyo could easily beat Seoul as Tokyo is very close right now.
Huh? You're kidding right? Tokyo has a lot of buildings yes. But most of them have fewer than 12 stories. Trust me, Metro Seoul has a lot more apartment blocks than the Greater Tokyo Area. Much of Seoul's skyline is made-up of commie block-style housing. They just go on and on for miles from Incheon all the way to central Seoul. Meanwhile, much of the Greater Tokyo Area is composed of dense suburbs of single-family houses. Thus, despite just a 13 million difference in terms of population, the Greater Tokyo Area's sprawl is four times that of Metro Seoul. That's because Metro Seoul is helmned-in by mountains thereby forcing it to be denser.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; November 11th, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #131
BANNED

I added a few more NEW, HUGE PANORAMAS to the very first post of this thread. Below are their copies. Enjoy!

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by 10025; November 11th, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #132
Celebriton

Likes (Received): 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
that's the reason why we say shanghai needs at least 25 years to become high quality
I think that too. Shanghai looks very ugly, Compare with other Chinese cities. They build Shanghai too fast without a good vision and a good knowledge. They spreading skyscrapers around the city, I thing it's better if they put all of them in one huge area.

I saw Shanghai urban planning model, if this is how Shanghai look 25 years later, I huge disappointed. They mix skyscrapers and low-rise buildings and spread it all around the city. I don't understand what is the purpose of this design.

Does someone has good pictures of how Shanghai look in the future?
Celebriton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #133
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 319333

Very nice photos once again; what is that structure in the below photo?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #134
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Wrong. The vast Seoul Metropolitan Area has way more high-rise buildings than tiny Hong Kong. But, if you include Shenzhen, Dongguan,Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhuhai, and Macau into the mix (since they form a budding megalopolis), then yes, the urban region centered around Hong Kong (the Pearl River Delta Region) has more high-rise buildings than all of Seoul Metropolitan Area.
Well, please back it up with pictures of Seoul. I have yet to see an impressive picture of Seoul. It's like looking at Manila or Jakarta or even Kuala Lumpur. You'd be hard-pressed to find a picture of any one of those cities that looks more impressive than one of the many pictures of HK.

I do not think you've really looked at the entire HK Territory. Kownloon/Victoria (HK Island) only has 3 million people, less than half of the entire territory. If you look at Google Earth, you can see buildings all over HK (especially north territory near Shenzhen). It was more impressive than looking at the entire Seoul area including Incheon (which was impressive anyways). So, in my book, HK Territory with 7 million people beats Seoul metro with 20 million people when it comes to the number of high-rises.

Quote:
Beijing, Tianjin, and Chongqing have very promising skylines. Heck, Chongqing might even give Shanghai a run for its money in two decades time (and possibly giving it the distinction of having the world's second largest overall skyline after the Shanghai-Suzhou urbanplex). But, for now, Metro Seoul has a much larger collection of skylines.
That's interesting how you say that Seoul beats Shanghai. Pictures again?

Quote:
Huh? You're kidding right? Tokyo has a lot of buildings yes. But most of them have fewer than 12 stories. Trust me, Metro Seoul has a lot more apartment blocks than the Greater Tokyo Area. Much of Seoul's skyline is made-up of commie block-style housing. They just go on and on for miles from Incheon all the way to central Seoul. Meanwhile, much of the Greater Tokyo Area is composed of dense suburbs of single-family houses. Thus, despite just a 13 million difference in terms of population, the Greater Tokyo Area's sprawl is four times that of Metro Seoul. That's because Metro Seoul is helmned-in by mountains thereby forcing it to be denser.
Cool, so Seoul still has more high-rises than Tokyo, but Tokyo has built more high-rises than Seoul during the 2000's. Yep, I see how small the Seoul metro area is along the valleys nested in between mountains. It's amazing to think that there's 20 million people in such a small area, but I still have yet to be impressed by the number of high-rises, especially compared to HK or Shanghai or NYC. Some people who have visited both Seoul and NYC say that NYC has far more high-rises than the entire metro Seoul.

I'd really appreciate some pictures if you wish to prove that Shanghai does not have a bigger skyline that Seoul.

Last edited by Shera; November 11th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #135
StormShadow

Likes (Received): 244

Large, dense, very filled city. I would like to see more neighborhoods of Shanghai though.
StormShadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #136
cardinals1

Likes (Received): 0

#4 looks so surreal and so powerful. It leaves you speechless.
cardinals1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #137
WESTSEATTLEGUY
Here

Likes (Received): 17

Those blue and red roof residential complexes are atrocious.
WESTSEATTLEGUY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #138
travelworld123

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebriton View Post
here is one i saw that looks insane as shanghai's future skyline. start about 1:00 to 1:20 about.

looks cool!
travelworld123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #139
Severiano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebriton View Post
I think that too. Shanghai looks very ugly, Compare with other Chinese cities. They build Shanghai too fast without a good vision and a good knowledge. They spreading skyscrapers around the city, I thing it's better if they put all of them in one huge area.

I saw Shanghai urban planning model, if this is how Shanghai look 25 years later, I huge disappointed. They mix skyscrapers and low-rise buildings and spread it all around the city. I don't understand what is the purpose of this design.

I have to disagree! I think that the mixture of highrises and the crooked streets make Shanghai's skyline look awesome. The seamless insanity make it look good. Look no futher than Beijing for the opposite. Beijing is overplanned, spread out, and banal. Shanghai on the other hand has a variety of styles, colors, sizes, and shapes. It is truely a great Skyline. IMO It sits behind HK and New York, but who knows what the future may bring!
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #140
titiritero

Likes (Received): 123

just one word: AMAZING
titiritero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
china, shanghai