PASADENA | Development News - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Los Angeles > Metropolitan Forums > San Fernando - San Gabriel Valleys

San Fernando - San Gabriel Valleys Van Nuys | North Hollywood | Burbank | Glendale | Pasadena | Pomona

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #21
TallBox

Likes (Received): 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelino View Post
I'm a little disappointed in this project because this could have been much more but it is still better than the parking lot that is there. Pasadena is a gem. I remember the days when that whole area, even up and down Colorado was like skid row with all of the burned out and empty buildings. It has truly turned around fabulously over the years.

https://urbanize.la/post/constructio...a584-199386701
As a new (6 months) resident of Pasadena, I can't even fathom that. It's such a plush, middle class city, at least all the way from Old Pasadena to PCC. I can't imagine what it was like before.
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2019, 06:18 AM   #22
losangelino

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
As a new (6 months) resident of Pasadena, I can't even fathom that. It's such a plush, middle class city, at least all the way from Old Pasadena to PCC. I can't imagine what it was like before.
LOL. Yes, I can see why you'd have that impression. I remember getting my first moving violation ticket making a left from Fair Oaks onto Colorado (taking my sister to work at that BofA bunker... which is finally opening up I'm told) about 30 years ago so know that area well. Apparently (I'm told) that some old rich man owned all of the land up and down Colorado and the buildings so he didn't care to make money off of it so just let it rot. When he died, his kids hit the jackpot and immediately started breaking it all up and selling and that's when the improvements you see now start. Now Tifanny's is there. THAT was unfathomable at the time. Burned out hulks and sleazy dive bars with zero night life. **Crate and Barrels was one of them. I recently drove through there on a Friday evening and was just stunned by the foot traffic and activity.

** Pottery Barn, not Crate and Barrel...

TallBox liked this post

Last edited by losangelino; April 11th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:22 PM   #23
pesto

Likes (Received): 4167

I can go back to the '60's. Pawn shops, dive bars and street crazies. The shopping centers were built so you weren't subject to the Lords of the Needle.

The first glimmer was the Pasadena Freep (Free Press book store); but of course that only exacerbated the drug and vagabond problem. It was reminiscent of the Sunset Strip and Hollywood Blvd: the real action was in the alleys.

Same was repeated on many of the historic "downtown" streets of the original SoCal communities. Death and re-gentrification.

TallBox liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 10:30 PM   #24
TallBox

Fantastic. I'm an urbanist so I observe these kinds of things.

Pasadena as my new home is great, the place you come to when you want more space, some greenery, raise kids etc. All the reasons I moved here. I do wonder, however, its longer term sustainability to draw in higher-skill industries and workforces. It's heavily retail to the point where there are storefront vacancies e.g. down Lake Ave. It's perhaps missing some of the placemaking vibe that draw in such workforces that other areas of LA are experiencing, e.g. Highland Park or South Pas.
Old April 11th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #25
losangelino

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Fantastic. I'm an urbanist so I observe these kinds of things.

Pasadena as my new home is great, the place you come to when you want more space, some greenery, raise kids etc. All the reasons I moved here. I do wonder, however, its longer term sustainability to draw in higher-skill industries and workforces. It's heavily retail to the point where there are storefront vacancies e.g. down Lake Ave. It's perhaps missing some of the placemaking vibe that draw in such workforces that other areas of LA are experiencing, e.g. Highland Park or South Pas.
Pasadena has always held its own. It had it pockets of blight but for the most part has been nice. But with CalTech, JPL, Parsons, etc (Not to mention Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, Art Center College of Design, UCLA games, etc), there is much over there to be envious of and to draw in high skilled people. Retail doesn't really come to mind when I think of it.

That area around Lake and Colorado used to be quite trendy and high end. Bullock's headquarters or a key store of theirs was there. Can't recall the store that moved in there now. Likely Macy's. I think that shifted away down towards Colorado and Old Town when it opened up. They also gutted out that indoor mall and opened it up to the sun with nice shopping and restaurants so Lake was bound to lose out. Perhaps it should all be replaced with condos and tall apartment buildings. Some of that is going in on Walnut but Lake needs more attention for sure.
losangelino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #26
pesto

Quote:
Pasadena has always held its own. It had it pockets of blight but for the most part has been nice. But with CalTech, JPL, Parsons, etc (Not to mention Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, Art Center College of Design, UCLA games, etc), there is much over there to be envious of and to draw in high skilled people. Retail doesn't really come to mind when I think of it.

That area around Lake and Colorado used to be quite trendy and high end. Bullock's headquarters or a key store of theirs was there. Can't recall the store that moved in there now. Likely Macy's. I think that shifted away down towards Colorado and Old Town when it opened up. They also gutted out that indoor mall and opened it up to the sun with nice shopping and restaurants so Lake was bound to lose out. Perhaps it should all be replaced with condos and tall apartment buildings. Some of that is going in on Walnut but Lake needs more attention for sure.
Parsons has moved to Virginia to be near the center of the money. Same with Bechtel, Northrop and hundreds of engineering, aerospace and tech companies that figured out what IBM knew all the time: it's more important who you influence than whether your engineers can add and subtract.

It hadn't had much of a presence in Pasadena for years before the HQ formally moved.
Old April 13th, 2019, 05:26 AM   #27
TallBox

Quote:

Yeah I can see an argument for that. There's a noticeably high store vacancy rate down Lake Ave. It's a pleasant street as it is, but there's more potential. Granville opened there this week so that's positive. Perhaps some more coffee shops to tap into that Caltech/work-from-home crowd.

There's also a bit of densification in the surrounding blocks of Lake Ave with multifamily housing going up; hopefully this is intentional as it will create new customers, and possibly younger families, professional couples etc.

My biggest gripe is the infrequency of Pasadena transit buses. I realize I'm perhaps pushing a niche agenda here, given that most people drive, but more frequent scheduling of the 20 bus down Lake and others in downtown Pasadena would go along way into making it better connected to elsewhere in LA.

None of that to diminish from the area being a great neighbourhood.
Old April 13th, 2019, 06:44 PM   #28
pesto

Quote:
Yeah I can see an argument for that. There's a noticeably high store vacancy rate down Lake Ave. It's a pleasant street as it is, but there's more potential. Granville opened there this week so that's positive. Perhaps some more coffee shops to tap into that Caltech/work-from-home crowd.

There's also a bit of densification in the surrounding blocks of Lake Ave with multifamily housing going up; hopefully this is intentional as it will create new customers, and possibly younger families, professional couples etc.

My biggest gripe is the infrequency of Pasadena transit buses. I realize I'm perhaps pushing a niche agenda here, given that most people drive, but more frequent scheduling of the 20 bus down Lake and others in downtown Pasadena would go along way into making it better connected to elsewhere in LA.

Hopefully, but I'm not optimistic. Pasadena was a REGIONAL shopping center and a major corporate center but things like high taxes and the shift of decision making power to government has removed many of the jobs. Increasing local residents to take up the slack is good but I doubt it will result in the urban experience than a regional center would imply.

Last edited by pesto; April 13th, 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old June 19th, 2019, 07:22 AM   #29
washingraccoons

Likes (Received): 1

I can't imagine Pasadena being like that. Lots of my friends nowadays live here and I have never seen any complains.
Local leader in home services. One-stop-shop solution for their exterior and interior building maintenance needs. We offer various building maintenance services for commercial and residential clients in Los Angeles. We specialize in window washing in Los Angeles, facade cleaning, exterior painting, roof and gutter cleaning, hard-water removal and other maintenance work.

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
washingraccoons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #30
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Hopefully, but I'm not optimistic. Pasadena was a REGIONAL shopping center and a major corporate center but things like high taxes and the shift of decision making power to government has removed many of the jobs. Increasing local residents to take up the slack is good but I doubt it will result in the urban experience than a regional center would imply.
This is just utter nonsense. Parsons is leaving in a few years but tech and other industries are flooding into Pasadena. Its economy, housing and the city have never ever been better. You literally couldnt be more wrong
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2019, 09:08 PM   #31
LosAngelesSportsFan

Quote:

What high vacancy rate on Lake? I can think of 2 retail spaces that are currently available. One is just below the freeway, the other is hidden inside a small mall. Thats it. Granville, Urban Eats, Medocibo Farms have all opened on lake recently
Old November 11th, 2019, 02:22 AM   #32
TallBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
What high vacancy rate on Lake? I can think of 2 retail spaces that are currently available. One is just below the freeway, the other is hidden inside a small mall. Thats it. Granville, Urban Eats, Medocibo Farms have all opened on lake recently
One next to Arbour
The one that used to be a Borders bookstore
The one next to Nick's (I think)
One next to Mens Wearhouse
One inside the small mall that you refer to
Also Del Frisco's just closed up

Maybe one or two more that I'm missing
Old November 11th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #33
LosAngelesSportsFan

Ok, thats at most 6 spaces for a 10 block stretch that is fully lined with retail spaces. Obviously we would like to see all of the retail spaces taken, but thats just not reality. THe bigger concern for Pasadena retail would be the stretch of retail on Colorado between Lake and PCC. In my opinion, a lot of those 1 or 2 story structures should be replaced with mixed use projects offering affordable and market rate housing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement